PDA

View Full Version : Offensive thoughts

BHildreth3
07-08-2013, 10:06 AM
I had some thoughts and curious to see how many of you disagree (probably a lot of you)

In my opinion, Tyler Russell is more comfortable under center. We need our leader to be comfortable and in the best position to succeed. We need to be under center 55-60 percent of the time, in the pistol 20 percent, and shotgun 10.

We haven't been able to run the football consistently without a FB/TE lead blocker. We have more options for blocking, along with pulling guards if we go back to a FEW formations and plays from 2009 (with Dixon), we will hopefully avg. more yards per rush, which will lead to more 1st downs, more yards per catch, etc.

Another reason that I like going back to this is that we have a veteran offensive line. They've been involved in a lot of plays/formations. We have to be more multiple and our vet offensive line will help us accomplish this.

Our defense will be fine this year, as long as we mix things up to rush the football better. Our LBs have more depth, or Dline has talent and the DL/LBs will make our young DBs look better than they are. I'm hoping #1 has a great senior year roaming the FS spot; he will need to help us with on the field leadership.

The key to everything is being able to gain enough yards per rush. We have to control the football and eat up clock this year in a big way. We play Auburn, which is a HUGE game for us when they will be 2-0, and it's their first SEC game of the season. We have to keep Malzahn's offense off the field. They will be efficient, I don't care who their QB is. We win do this by looking a little bit like an NFL, pro set type offense. I hope Mullen makes the adjustments. It's not like we have 5 All-American wide receivers this year. Control the tempo with the run and solid run blocking, play action with short passes/screens; disguise passing plays with TEs and throw to them to open up the deep post patterns to our WRs.

I also wouldn't be too upset if Mullen played #15 A LOT more this year, even if Russell continues to improve. If #15 is playing alot, it means that are rushing stats per game are going UP, and that's a BIG, BIG PLUS.

MSUDawg4Life
07-08-2013, 10:19 AM
What makes you think Tyler Russell is more comfortable under center? If I'm not mistaken, I've never seen him play under center. Even in high school, he was in the shotgun.

In my opinion, the entire defense just has to show and prove. We can talk forever about the talent, depth and potential, but those guys have to do it on the field. I personally would like to see an aggressive and relentless defense get after Oklahoma State, but until that happens we're all hoping and wishing.

Actually, the entire team has to TURN UP as the kids say. The time for talk, hoping and wishing is over. Just do it.

Coach34
07-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Russell hasnt actually been under Center since Jr High- but you are correct in that he is the type of QB that does need to be under Center some to be more successful. With him being no threat to run the ball (he rushed for -5 yards last year), it would be best to get more blockers at the point of attack.

Mullen is no dummy, and we have added some formations with him under Center. I will be surprised if we do that more than 25% of the time- but you just never know. I like the fact that the staff saw the problem and has made adjustments to attempt to run the ball better. What we were trying last year was not working- and just an overall shitty scheme for running the football.

DawgInMemphis
07-08-2013, 10:56 AM
I think we will be an improved team, as both of or our lines *should* be improved. I think we will see a lot more of Dak this year, and I suspect Russel will be under center a fair amount. I don't think we're going to win games based on our offense output, regardless of what formations and looks we give. I think our offense will be balanced and efficient. Unless Morrow makes great strides, we don't have that deep threat that really stretches the defense to open up a power running game. We have quick shifty guys in Perk, Holloway, and Lewis - getting them the ball in space will be critical to how explosive our offense is. Russel is underrated as far as his running ability, but he's not the type of quarterback that can really thrive in the type of offense Mullen wants to run. He taylors the offense around his players skill sets, but Dak is the type of quarterback suited for Mullen's bread and butter (considering every QB we've recruited the last several years are dual threat guys aside from the one kid from Georgia who decided to go to Clemson). I think we will be able to sustain drives this year better than last, which should allow us to control the clock, rest our D, and give ourselves opportunities to score.

What I'm most excited about is our defense - particularly how well we're able to pass rush. Our pass rush was underwhelming last season for several reasons. If our D-line plays up to expectations and doesn't require a lot of help from the LB's and Secondary to create "mayhem" in our opponents backfield, I look for us to easily be bowl eligible. If we struggle to get pressure, we will struggle to make a bowl game. We certainly have the talent, and for the first time in a long time we have quality depth across the board. This is a dangerous football team. The way we ended last year has really put a sour taste in my mouth - and I'm sure that's magnified 100 fold for our coaches and players. I love kicking things off against Okie State. I look for our guys to come out and punch them in the mouth and set the tone for the season. Could we lose? Sure. Do I think we're being overlooked nationally? Absolutely. This team is capable of knocking off some big boys along the way. Defensive pressure, offensive line cohesion, and identifying a clear leader for both the offense and defense will be key for how well we're able to execute this year.

Hard to believe, but we're only a couple of months away!

Hail State!

fishwater99
07-08-2013, 11:22 AM
I just wish the staff had seen the problem with our running game during the spring of 2012 and made changes last year.
TR is no Chris Relf or Dak running the ball.

I really think we need an extra TE or a FB in there blocking for our TB..

BeastMan
07-08-2013, 11:59 AM
They tried Russell under center in the spring. Even though it may suit TR's skill set, he did not look more comfortable. He looked like he has barely done it (which is true). I do not expect to see TR under center very much in 2013.

The 1 play I really like under center is the quick WR screens. It gets the ball to them faster, giving the play a better chance to be successful as opposed to the long devolving WR screens from shotgun. Our WR's are much much more suited to make plays on screens this year. Last year they were small and slow. This year we have big physical guys who can run (Rojo, Carr, Chappelle, & Morrow) and a few little guys who are flashes (Lewis & Holloway)

FISHDAWG
07-08-2013, 12:18 PM
watch some of last years games and see how Russell would telegraph which side he was going to before the ball was snapped ... the leg was dropped back on the side he was rolling out to or going to hand off .... besides, we dont have an Anthony Dixon type in the backfield

MSUDawg4Life
07-08-2013, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't imagine Russell would look comfortable under center. As you said, he hasn't done it a whole lot. I'm sure that's how he'll play in the NFL and doing it now may help his draft stock, but I'm most concerned about doing whatever it takes to win the maximum amount of games this year. I think that will help his draft stock even more.

What I'm most concerned about with Russell is how well he is bonding with his receivers. We need those guys to be on the same page from game one. Can't afford a whole lot of miscommunication, drops or other missed opportunities early on. I'm anxious to see how well he and the receivers play together.

BeastMan
07-08-2013, 12:58 PM
@MSUDawg4Life

This may make me sound like a dbag but TR draft status isn't my number 1 concern and shouldn't be his either. The number 1 concern of MSU players, coaches, and fans should be winning. Winning right now. Not next year. Not 4 years down the road. Right now. :rant over:

Coach34
07-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Mullen wouldnt change one thing about his offense to help Russell's draft stock- if changes are being made, it's because he thinks it's the best chance for the offense to be successful.

MSUDawg4Life
07-08-2013, 01:11 PM
@MSUDawg4Life

This may make me sound like a dbag but TR draft status isn't my number 1 concern and shouldn't be his either. The number 1 concern of MSU players, coaches, and fans should be winning. Winning right now. Not next year. Not 4 years down the road. Right now. :rant over:

Hey! No disagreement from me. I'm pretty much saying the same thing.

It seems like putting him under center (when he's not comfortable with it) was done with an eye toward his draft stock. I may be wrong about that, but that's how it seems to me.

I'm all for doing whatever it takes to win right now. Whether that's shotgun, pistol or putting him under center.

MSUDawg4Life
07-08-2013, 01:14 PM
Mullen wouldnt change one thing about his offense to help Russell's draft stock- if changes are being made, it's because he thinks it's the best chance for the offense to be successful.

I'm not sure that's true.

If it's part of his playbook AND it helps his player, I think he would do it. Especially with Mullen's reputation for developing quarterbacks. Getting Tyler to the NFL helps Mullen in the long run too.

BeastMan
07-08-2013, 01:23 PM
Hey! No disagreement from me. I'm pretty much saying the same thing.

It seems like putting him under center (when he's not comfortable with it) was done with an eye toward his draft stock. I may be wrong about that, but that's how it seems to me.

I'm all for doing whatever it takes to win right now. Whether that's shotgun, pistol or putting him under center.

I don't disagree at all. I think Mullen, his offense, and his QB is an always evolving thing. You try new things. Some sticks, some doesn't. I think he'll always look for a comfort zone for his QB and I'm A-OK with that

Coach34
07-08-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm not sure that's true.

If it's part of his playbook AND it helps his player, I think he would do it. Especially with Mullen's reputation for developing quarterbacks. Getting Tyler to the NFL helps Mullen in the long run too.

ok- let me explain further:

Mullen is putting Russell under center some this year for a few reasons:

1. To give us the use of quick screens
2. To improve a shitty running attack by using more TE's
3. With Russell being virtually no threat to run- the shotgun runs are more easily defended.

None of those reasons are to help Tyler's draft stock- it's about quick screens and improving our running attack.

BeastMan
07-08-2013, 01:54 PM
I agree Coach those are the reasons. In a roundabout way, it could help his draft stock even though its not the primary goal

Coach34
07-08-2013, 02:06 PM
I agree Coach those are the reasons. In a roundabout way, it could help his draft stock even though its not the primary goal

yes, I totally agree that it could help- and that would just be a by-product of doing it

BHildreth3
07-08-2013, 03:05 PM
My bad guys - i thought he was under center more in HS

Coach34
07-08-2013, 03:12 PM

no worries- it led to a pretty good discussion

CadaverDawg
07-08-2013, 05:42 PM

You do a hell of a Jackie Wayne impersonation though. I thought you may be him in disguise...

"#15", "#1", "Big Big Plus", etc..