PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Basketball News

1bigdawg
06-09-2015, 11:48 AM
Steve Prohm Hired + Rules Changes

Steve prohm was just hired by Iowa State ($1.5MM/year). This means all of this year's hot coaching names have moved. I do not know who schools will hire next year if they fire their coach.

NCAA Rules:
30 second shot clock is in.
One fewer second half time-out
Time outs called within 30 seconds of media timeout automatically become media timeouts
(Still costs the team the timeout)
Lane arc is extended from 3 to 4 feet.

Women now play 4 10 minute quarters instead of 2 20 minute halves.

TheRef
06-09-2015, 11:52 AM
Steve Prohm Hired + Rules Changes

Steve prohm was just hired by Iowa State ($1.5MM/year). This means all of this year's hot coaching names have moved. I do not know who schools will hire next year if they fire their coach.

NCAA Rules:
30 second shot clock is in.
One fewer second half time-out
Time outs called within 30 seconds of media timeout automatically become media timeouts
(Still costs the team the timeout)
Lane arc is extended from 3 to 4 feet.

Women now play 4 10 minute quarters instead of 2 20 minute halves.

Still not sure why this change was needed/necessary.

shannondawg
06-09-2015, 11:53 AM

TV

Dawg61
06-09-2015, 11:56 AM
I like the 30 second clock but they haven't addressed what I considered to be killing college basketball which is way too many fouls called on the defense. Some contact has to be allowed when an offensive player is driving to the basket. How else can you defend the play? By hoping to block the shot? Contact is a part of basketball. It's a CONTACT sport.

maroonmania
06-09-2015, 12:10 PM

I personally have never understood why college is the only level of basketball played in halves rather than quarters? College men should go to 4 10 minute quarters if you ask me since HS and pro all use quarters.

MadDawg
06-09-2015, 12:17 PM
I like the 30 second clock but they haven't addressed what I considered to be killing college basketball which is way too many fouls called on the defense. Some contact has to be allowed when an offensive player is driving to the basket. How else can you defend the play? By hoping to block the shot? Contact is a part of basketball. It's a CONTACT sport.

So when the general consensus of what's wrong with college basketball is there simply is not enough scoring, you advocate making it harder on the offense to score by letting defenses get away with even more contact?

Are we ready for 36-32 D1 men's basketball games?

Dawg61
06-09-2015, 12:27 PM
So when the general consensus of what's wrong with college basketball is there simply is not enough scoring, you advocate making it harder on the offense to score by letting defenses get away with even more contact?

Are we ready for 36-32 D1 men's basketball games?

No I'm saying go back to how games were officiated before the latest change on fouls were made. There was nothing wrong with how it was officiated. I don't want to watch free throw contests. That isn't basketball. We shot 44 free throws vs Tennessee. And lost. I don't want to watch that. Nobody does.

starkvegasdawg
06-09-2015, 12:43 PM
On the fouls subject...I just don't want to see a player drive the lane and mow down a defender but the defender get called for the foul. I also don't like seeing a player fake a jump shot to get the defender in the air and then jump into him and draw the foul. To me, if the offensive player's actions are the reason for the contact then it should be an offensive foul.

Irondawg
06-09-2015, 12:48 PM
On the fouls subject...I just don't want to see a player drive the lane and mow down a defender but the defender get called for the foul. I also don't like seeing a player fake a jump shot to get the defender in the air and then jump into him and draw the foul. To me, if the offensive player's actions are the reason for the contact then it should be an offensive foul.

Ditto. The refs bail out the offensive player way too much. Doesn't even always have to be an offensive foul, just don't reward the offensive player for initiating all contact.

Dawg61
06-09-2015, 01:05 PM

Agreed on the first part and somewhat on the second. If an offensive player drives the ball some contact should be expected and allowed. This will eventually force players into becoming better jump shooters. Basketball needs to figure out how to reduce the hack players that are relying on the touch foul rules to survive because they are poor jump shooters. As far as the second part if an offensive player can get a defender off his feet he should be awarded for that as long as he's not egregiously leaning into the player to get the call. It's a good move and bad defensive to leave your feet on a fake.