PDA

View Full Version : God I love the South and the SEC

Coach34
06-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Sitting on the balcony of my condo here in Gulf Shores- enjoying the evening with a drink. And within 50 yards each direction- there are 4 SEC tents....Bammer, Auburn, Tennessee, and Mizzou. It's SEC 365 days a year and I love it

BeardoMSU
06-08-2015, 07:18 PM
You forgot the OM fan getting his strut on***

#'supLadies

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/10/d4/76/10d4762b2b48ba5fb05b6b17af5cb290.jpg

FlabLoser
06-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Yep. Last time I was there, so were the LSU Golden Girls.

Dawgcentral
06-08-2015, 07:37 PM
Sometimes I wonder if SEC sports keeps me here. It certainly isn't the pay scale.

godlluB
06-08-2015, 07:48 PM
I can retire in the next 3 years or so (I work for MSU and live in Starkville). The smart thing would be for me to retire, move out of state and draw my retirement while I work somewhere else for a few years. I'm not originally from MS, and I'm young enough to work at least another 10-15 years, but I keep thinking about missing out MSU sports.

The whole idea of struggling with the decision between "move and have plenty of money for retirement", or "stay in Starkville to watch MSU sports" shouldn't even be close, but I'm really struggling with it.

TUSK
06-08-2015, 08:04 PM
Sitting on the balcony of my condo here in Gulf Shores- enjoying the evening with a drink. And within 50 yards each direction- there are 4 SEC tents....Bammer, Auburn, Tennessee, and Mizzou. It's SEC 365 days a year and I love it

Get off my beach. ***

Amadden0408
06-08-2015, 08:24 PM
Why is that even close? If I was in that position, I definitely wouldn't leave Starkville.

Bothrops
06-08-2015, 08:27 PM
The South really is a great little corner of the world.

Dawg61
06-08-2015, 08:35 PM
I can retire in the next 3 years or so (I work for MSU and live in Starkville). The smart thing would be for me to retire, move out of state and draw my retirement while I work somewhere else for a few years. I'm not originally from MS, and I'm young enough to work at least another 10-15 years, but I keep thinking about missing out MSU sports.

The whole idea of struggling with the decision between "move and have plenty of money for retirement", or "stay in Starkville to watch MSU sports" shouldn't even be close, but I'm really struggling with it.

Working an extra 15 years will most likely mean you live longer than if you retire in 3 years which means by moving you'll end up seeing MORE MSU sports in your lifetime. Move brother and make a lot more money. 2c

godlluB
06-08-2015, 09:01 PM
Working an extra 15 years will most likely mean you live longer than if you retire in 3 years which means by moving you'll end up seeing MORE MSU sports in your lifetime. Move brother and make a lot more money. 2c

Well, I can't actually afford to fully retire right now, so if I stay in Starkville, it means just putting off state retirement for 10 years or so. Still, the smart financial move is to retire, move, and take a higher paying job somewhere else. I also sometimes think about all of the money I could save since I wouldn't be purchasing season tickets anymore!

MSUDawg99
06-08-2015, 09:05 PM
Why is that even close? If I was in that position, I definitely wouldn't leave Starkville.

DItto! Its my goal one day to have a condo there for game wknds. Hell, if a job opened up, I'd move back in a heartbeat. My love for Stark & msu sports outweighs everything else.

SapperDawg
06-08-2015, 09:07 PM

Assuming you work in some technical capacity that is transferrable, look to get a job in Huntsville, its only 3ish hours away and a high tech city. Draw your retirement and make 2x your state salary here. You can still make most MSU games with ease on the weekends without much issue. And this is just a good place to live.

Three years to go means retiring at 25 years. Working another 10-15 means you would have been working for 35-40 years, and puts you in your early to mid 60's for the second retirement with the financial means to watch every MSU game in person until you die (probably in another 20 to 30 years from the second retirement).

godlluB
06-08-2015, 09:13 PM
Sapper,

I work with your brother. Pretty much everything you surmised is true. Rationally, I know what the right answer is, but that doesn't mean it's an easy choice.

SapperDawg
06-08-2015, 09:26 PM
I thought so. I tell him the same thing every week!

Coach34
06-08-2015, 10:10 PM
If I could figure out a way to make a decent living in Sville- I'd move there next week

Howboutdemdogs
06-09-2015, 06:58 AM
I moved here 15 years ago from the MS Gulf Coast due to a job opportunity. I never have looked back. I'm so close to StarkVegas, and a huge part of my life is MSU. From Football / Tailgating, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, and Tennis, we support all in a big way and have incorporated State into our lives. We LOVE it. We make the most of this opportunity, and are grateful of the chance to live here. I graduated from State, have 2 of 3 kids going there now, and actually grew up near here. I am home! I believe that not everyone is as lucky as me.

Thanks to he airport, GTR, the world is a lot closer for me.

BrunswickDawg
06-09-2015, 07:20 AM
I just went through a similar process - In February I left the state agency I had been with for 15 years with no job waiting for me. I ended up having to decide whether to take a big job in TX, or stay in Brunswick. The money in TX was big, but I made a lifestyle choice. Having spent 15 years in a meat grinder of a state agency, having 2 kids in HS, and leaving a veritable paradise all meant more than the immediate money. That is why these things suck. It was much easier deciding to go to State!

FlabLoser
06-09-2015, 07:59 AM
You gotta make sure you can take care if yourself and your family. Work to live. Don't live to work. Money is no good if you can't enjoy it.

I've not taken every maximum profit path in front of me and I don't regret it at all.

archdog
06-09-2015, 08:12 AM
I moved here 15 years ago from the MS Gulf Coast due to a job opportunity. I never have looked back. I'm so close to StarkVegas, and a huge part of my life is MSU. From Football / Tailgating, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, and Tennis, we support all in a big way and have incorporated State into our lives. We LOVE it. We make the most of this opportunity, and are grateful of the chance to live here. I graduated from State, have 2 of 3 kids going there now, and actually grew up near here. I am home! I believe that not everyone is as lucky as me.

My wife and I had the opportunity to move to Columbus last year. We took it in a heart beat. I do not regret it one bit other than the friends I left on the coast. Pay was substantially higher, insurance is substantially cheaper, and the real estate market is much more conducive to owning. We bought a house in south side and have loved every minute of it.

starkvegasdawg
06-09-2015, 08:14 AM
If I could figure out a way to make a decent living in Sville- I'd move there next week

I live here and am still trying to figure that out.

Jack Lambert
06-09-2015, 08:29 AM

Mississippi is one of the best retirement states. They bend over to get retired people here. You pay no state imcome tax on retirement money in the State and you get to write off some of your sales tax on your federal.

Dawg Corps
06-09-2015, 08:42 AM
I'm so looking forward to retirement in 2040...

Dawg61
06-09-2015, 10:15 AM
I'm so looking forward to retirement in 2040...

I'll never be able to retire thanks to the hippies in the age group above me that ****ed up this country. Thanks hippies.**

huffy
06-09-2015, 10:47 AM

ditto... anyone know of any mid level I.T. jobs in Starkvegas? ha.

godlluB
06-09-2015, 10:51 AM
ditto... anyone know of any mid level I.T. jobs in Starkvegas? ha.

Garan just ran an ad in the SDN today looking for a network administrator. College degree + 5 years, must be able to speak Spanish as well as English.

Also, keep an eye on the MSU HRM website. IT jobs do come available some. If you happen to have a solid background in large storage systems, there is a good chance that a job will likely be opening up late Summer or early Fall.

Ralph
06-09-2015, 11:00 AM

Prolly smart. I lived in Starkville 25 years before moving away. The first couple years were tough but then more games started streaming live and bootleg broadcasts and whatnot. Now with secn and secn+ it's becoming difficult to not find a broadcasted game so it's much easier these days to not be in the center of the action.

I've been gone for almost 10 years now and my buddies back in Starkville laugh that I know more about MSU happenings (from this board and broadcasts) than they do. It'll always be there you can go back anytime.

Barking 13
06-09-2015, 03:20 PM

Sounds like the commercial..lol

Dawgface
06-09-2015, 05:04 PM
I'll never be able to retire thanks to the hippies in the age group above me that ****ed up this country. Thanks hippies.**

You are welcome. And I retired at 53. Peace. :)

MSUDawg99
06-09-2015, 05:18 PM

Is there an echo in the room? Ha.