PDA

View Full Version : Umass

Prentis
06-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Other than money what good comes from playing umass

Jacksondevildog
06-07-2015, 09:48 PM
I listened to Stricklin make a comment about how important it was to have a 7th home game in 2016 to break in a new QB after Dak. He failed at that.

5 Star
06-07-2015, 09:53 PM
A cheap, easy win in return for 2 future home games. We don't have to spend the money for a home game. That's 2 good things.

Dawg61
06-07-2015, 09:53 PM
Schedule UAB

msstate7
06-07-2015, 09:54 PM
I listened to Stricklin make a comment about how important it was to have a 7th home game in 2016 to break in a new QB after Dak. He failed at that.

Better than a 2nd fcs opponent. Only 1 counts towards bowl eligibility

Jacksondevildog
06-07-2015, 09:56 PM
A cheap, easy win in return for 2 future home games. We don't have to spend the money for a home game. That's 2 good things.

With our athletic budget now, do we have to be concerned about money for a home game? Surely that's a lame ass answer.

Jack Lambert
06-07-2015, 09:57 PM
It ment a lot to the S. Alabama fans us going down their to play them in their house. It brought attention to thier program and money they needed and there are a lot of them who pull for Mississippi State now. I think the same comes out of playing Umass. They will become Miss State fans just because we were willing to come to thier house when no other P5 especially SEC would. There are a lot of people on the E.Coast who don't know much about MSU but now they will.

Just my opinion.

Jack Lambert
06-07-2015, 10:00 PM
Schedule UAB

I heard UAB are going to have to earn their way back to D1. It is not automatic for them. They will not have enough scholarship kids to justify it.

Jacksondevildog
06-07-2015, 10:00 PM
Not mentioned yet, but this will be in Gillette Stadium where the Patriots play.

Dawg61
06-07-2015, 10:02 PM
Not mentioned yet, but this will be in Gillette Stadium where the Patriots play.

I just liked the UMass pick a lot more

Jacksondevildog
06-07-2015, 10:06 PM
Hopefully this won't be played at 11pm ET ON ESPN9.

Todd4State
06-07-2015, 10:07 PM

I will be very happy if this is indeed the case. That would make it a lot more likely that I would go.

Todd4State
06-07-2015, 10:08 PM

Am I the only one that wonders why C-USA has a west coast TV contract?

Jacksondevildog
06-07-2015, 10:09 PM
http://www.gazettenet.com/sports/umasssports/17229883-95/umass-to-host-mississippi-state-in-football-in-2016

Todd4State
06-07-2015, 10:12 PM
That leaves one game left for UMass to schedule to fulfill NCAA requirements. It will likely be against a Championship Subdivision opponent at McGuirk Stadium. The other four home games are all contracted to be played at Gillette Stadium. The FCS game will be either Sept. 24, Oct. 22 or Nov. 12.

This is from Jacksondevildog's link.

BOOM!

Jack Lambert
06-07-2015, 10:15 PM

I think thier stadium on campus only holds 15,000. I believe thats what I read on their message board.

Pinto
06-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Better to fly into Boston or Providence?

TUSK
06-07-2015, 10:28 PM

You tell it, Cotton!!!

also, Semper FI, brutha.

Jacksondevildog
06-07-2015, 10:30 PM
Not affiliated with any military.

CadaverDawg
06-07-2015, 11:13 PM

Nope, it's on the Ocho...

https://36.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7uesh87a41rw7y79o1_500.jpg

Smitty
06-07-2015, 11:19 PM
Dawgs game/Sox Game. Great weekend. I'll be there.

RIdog
06-08-2015, 02:37 AM
Better to fly into Boston or Providence?

Fly into Green (Providence) , closer to Gillette and way easier in and out than Logan .

Maroonthirteen
06-08-2015, 05:32 AM
I am sure USA appreciates our visit. However, have you meet many people from the northeast? They couldn't give 2 craps about Mississippi or the south in general.

codeDawg
06-08-2015, 06:32 AM
I am sure USA appreciates our visit. However, have you meet many people from the northeast? They couldn't give 2 craps about Mississippi or the south in general.

generalize much?

Maroonthirteen
06-08-2015, 07:17 AM
Yes and so do they. I work with folks from Boston, Philly and NY on occasion numerous times over the last 10 years. Most are nice. None have a favorable opinion of the south.

SDDawg
06-08-2015, 08:17 AM
No one needs to have a "favorable opinion of the South." Doesn't mean jack for this game. While not the perfect circumstances or matchup, I do think we need to start playing more games outside of the southeast and the P5 matchups will help on that front. Good job by Stricklin here, given what he had to work with.

FlabLoser
06-08-2015, 08:37 AM
I have no doubt Strick did everything within reason to get us a 7th home game. Tulane pulling out late was a tough circumstance and I understand our options at this point were very limited.

I trust Strick did made the best decision available. Hold back the rock throwing unless you know all the facts.

There are some positives to playing at Umass. Exposure to that region of the country will be good for us.

I'm not advocating 6 home game seasons or making a habit out of traveling to small schools. Just sayin this was an unusual circumstance and I think Strick made the best of it.

lachepas565
06-08-2015, 08:45 AM
It's a 2-1, that's about all I can come up with. There better not be a big pay out for the 2nd of the 2 - basically making it a home and home with a buy game at the end of it.

And if UMass is scrambling for games - why couldn't the 2016 game be played in Starkville? With UMass working to fill their schedule, you would think that Strickland could have forced a 2016 home game.

FlabLoser
06-08-2015, 08:52 AM
I'm guessing that we needed Umass more than Umass needed us. If we don't get a D1 school on our schedule, it hurts our postseason. Umass probably cares a lot less about their postseason.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-08-2015, 08:58 AM
It's a 2-1, that's about all I can come up with. There better not be a big pay out for the 2nd of the 2 - basically making it a home and home with a buy game at the end of it.

And if UMass is scrambling for games - why couldn't the 2016 game be played in Starkville? With UMass working to fill their schedule, you would think that Strickland could have forced a 2016 home game.

You have to play 5 home games by NCAA rule. Even with our game UMASS still only has 4 home games. So no Scott couldn't have forced UMASS to a 2016 home game.

Jack Lambert
06-08-2015, 08:58 AM

They have to play five home games. It is a NCAA rule. They can get a waiver I believe and I think BYU did. Plus I think Umass is going to BYU, Florida, Hawaii, TRoy and Hawaii. Those are five long road trips. They probablay knew they had us where they wanted and did not want give ground.

looks like they need one more game to get to 5 and 12.

Vinsanity
06-08-2015, 09:44 AM
Wouldn't a game at Gillette Stadium help create exposure for us in the New England area, especially if the tickets are cheap enough for common fans(who may not have heard of us or seen us play) to come in and watch the game?

War Machine Dawg
06-08-2015, 10:39 AM
I have no doubt Strick did everything within reason to get us a 7th home game. Tulane pulling out late was a tough circumstance and I understand our options at this point were very limited.

I trust Strick did made the best decision available. Hold back the rock throwing unless you know all the facts.

There are some positives to playing at Umass. Exposure to that region of the country will be good for us.

I'm not advocating 6 home game seasons or making a habit out of traveling to small schools. Just sayin this was an unusual circumstance and I think Strick made the best of it.

If it's a 2-for-1, he should've gotten the home game first. Period. Home, Away, Home. But he's Larry Lite, so that didn't happen.

HancockCountyDog
06-08-2015, 10:50 AM
Personally I like the idea of a cream puff road game for our 2016 team. Great experience for whoever is handling the QB duties that year.

I won't be going, but that just means I will have to blow it out more the other 6 home games.

Jack Lambert
06-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Personally I like the idea of a cream puff road game for our 2016 team. Great experience for whoever is handling the QB duties that year.

I won't be going, but that just means I will have to blow it out more the other 6 home games.

I buy season tickets but never go to all the home games. It works out for me.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-08-2015, 10:55 AM
If it's a 2-for-1, he should've gotten the home game first. Period. Home, Away, Home. But he's Larry Lite, so that didn't happen.

Actually he couldn't have but hey blame Stricklin it's much easier.

Maroons
06-08-2015, 11:02 AM

So ignorant.

RIdog
06-08-2015, 11:57 AM
Wouldn't a game at Gillette Stadium help create exposure for us in the New England area, especially if the tickets are cheap enough for common fans(who may not have heard of us or seen us play) to come in and watch the game?

I live up here and can assure you we'll very very likely out number them in the stands . College football is an afterthought up here - if it ain't the Patriots nobody cares .

codeDawg
06-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Yes and so do they. I work with folks from Boston, Philly and NY on occasion numerous times over the last 10 years. Most are nice. None have a favorable opinion of the south.

Not having a favorable opinion goes hand in hand with a lack of positive exposure. States that are last in the list in everything good, and first on the list in everything bad don't generally leave outsiders with positive impressions. We love the south because we have positive experiences here and don't have to rely on others to form opinions.

This game is exactly the kind of opportunity we should accept to provide those positive interactions.

BulldogBear
06-08-2015, 01:45 PM
I'm guessing that we needed Umass more than Umass needed us. If we don't get a D1 school on our schedule, it hurts our postseason. Umass probably cares a lot less about their postseason.

Unfortunately, THIS^^^^^^ is spot on. They have too many road games and while they might could get a waiver, we needed them just as bad or worse.

MSUDawg99
06-08-2015, 02:08 PM
S.S. on Periscope answering questions bout this game...

Ifyouonlyknew
06-08-2015, 02:28 PM
We're paying UMASS $325K for each game in 2017 & 2020. The buyout is $1MIL for each game.

Liverpooldawg
06-08-2015, 02:46 PM
I probably won't be able to go but I would love to make that trip. Boston is a really great city for a history buff like me. I've been once and I would love to go back.

Johnson85
06-08-2015, 02:51 PM

Your and idiot.

Sticklin could be terrible for all I know, but this was a pretty good outcome for us considering the position Tulane and Lonnie Tinkle left us in. All I can think when I see things like this is that some people have never, ever been part of a negotiation where there is unequal bargaining position.

We were screwed by LT, getting a home game, a game in a good place to travel to, and also getting what amounts to a buy game for the amount we would have to pay Jackson State is less of an ass raping than I expected when basically everybody was put on notice that we were in a tight spot. Our only hope was that there would miraculously be two teams with open dates when we needed them, that wanted to play us, and could add an away game, or that there would be another lonnie tinkle out there that wouldn't understand how negotiations work. Once that was out the window, you're basically talking about trying to negotiate for another two teams to rearrange their schedule (within roughly 18 months of kickoff) when you're the only one that really is in tight spot. You're deal is going to reflect your circumstances at that point.

Vandelaydawg
06-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Your and idiot.

Sticklin could be terrible for all I know, but this was a pretty good outcome for us considering the position Tulane and Lonnie Tinkle left us in. All I can think when I see things like this is that some people have never, ever been part of a negotiation where there is unequal bargaining position.

We were screwed by LT, getting a home game, a game in a good place to travel to, and also getting what amounts to a buy game for the amount we would have to pay Jackson State is less of an ass raping than I expected when basically everybody was put on notice that we were in a tight spot. Our only hope was that there would miraculously be two teams with open dates when we needed them, that wanted to play us, and could add an away game, or that there would be another lonnie tinkle out there that wouldn't understand how negotiations work. Once that was out the window, you're basically talking about trying to negotiate for another two teams to rearrange their schedule (within roughly 18 months of kickoff) when you're the only one that really is in tight spot. You're deal is going to reflect your circumstances at that point.

WMD keeps the dream alive as the lowest life form.

MSUDawg4Life
06-08-2015, 03:32 PM
Your and idiot.

Agreed.

Considering the circumstances, this is not a bad result.

Johnson85
06-08-2015, 03:38 PM
With our athletic budget now, do we have to be concerned about money for a home game? Surely that's a lame ass answer.

I'm convinced a lot of our fans would go bankrupt in short order if they won the lottery. Yes, we have a shit ton of money and can do just about anything we want, but we still can't do everything. And even though we have all this money, other conference members have just as much and more, so we still have to be smarter than them in how we use it. Dropping a $1M to pay for a buy game in 2016 and also dropping another $500k to $1M to pay their buyout is just to have 7 games in 2016 is just not a good use of money.

Pollodawg
06-08-2015, 09:24 PM
Did I just read where someone called the AD that landed us the most accomplished head coach we've ever hired in any of the big three sports combined Larry Lite?

RIdog
06-08-2015, 10:21 PM
For the record - "You're an idiot" :cool: