PDA

View Full Version : Those LSU

dawgoneyall
06-07-2015, 08:23 PM
bastards are going again. Tip my hat to them.

But I am getting tired of tipping my hat.

messageboardsuperhero
06-07-2015, 08:32 PM
I've stopped watch the super regionals- it pisses me off too much watching these other SEC teams dogpiling. Cohen better have us significantly better next year.

engie
06-07-2015, 08:58 PM
So much for a "down" year for the SEC...

ACC/SEC invitational

5 Star
06-07-2015, 09:09 PM
It is a waste of time to try and compare ourselves to LSU, they are so far beyond us it's not even funny. I usually just hope they win, so they knock other teams out (teams that are more our peers than they are).

Todd4State
06-07-2015, 09:18 PM
LSU only has one NC since 2001. They're not what they were- and I doubt they win it all this year with their bullpen or lack thereof.

"Catching up" to them is a matter of having a coach that actually realizes that you need dominant pitching to win in the SEC. We have that coming in- hopefully tomorrow is good to us.

Here's something to chew on- we've been to the CWS Finals as many times as LSU has under Manieri. Granted the time they went, they won the whole thing.

LSU is always and forever more going to get a favorable regional and bracket because the NCAA wants them in Omaha. They always end up with Tulane, the SWAC champ, and then some other mid major like UNC-Wilmington- and then get matched up with another fairly favorable SR bracket such as the Houston Regional this year.

Todd4State
06-07-2015, 09:20 PM
So much for a "down" year for the SEC...

ACC/SEC invitational

The SEC should have had at least ten teams in, and the Big 10 has been embarrassing themselves the whole tournament. Especially since one of their SR participants is former ACC member Maryland and Illinois was basically given a free pass to the SR.

messageboardsuperhero
06-07-2015, 09:24 PM
LSU only has one NC since 2001. They're not what they were- and I doubt they win it all this year with their bullpen or lack thereof.

"Catching up" to them is a matter of having a coach that actually realizes that you need dominant pitching to win in the SEC. We have that coming in- hopefully tomorrow is good to us.

Here's something to chew on- we've been to the CWS Finals as many times as LSU has under Manieri. Granted the time they went, they won the whole thing.

LSU is always and forever more going to get a favorable regional and bracket because the NCAA wants them in Omaha. They always end up with Tulane, the SWAC champ, and then some other mid major like UNC-Wilmington- and then get matched up with another fairly favorable SR bracket such as the Houston Regional this year.

I've noticed this too. LSU almost always gets some generous regional matchups. Last year was one of the only times I can remember them getting a less than favorable draw, and they got knocked out by Houston.

maroonmania
06-07-2015, 09:29 PM
It is a waste of time to try and compare ourselves to LSU, they are so far beyond us it's not even funny. I usually just hope they win, so they knock other teams out (teams that are more our peers than they are).

Yes, LSU has a consistently elite program we can only dream about but their road to the CWS this year was perhaps the easiest they've ever had. Had a weak regional and then ULL gets through on the other side of their bracket as a 3 seed.

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-07-2015, 09:43 PM
Todd.....what is the best way to keep up with the draft tomorrow? And what time? thanks

5 Star
06-07-2015, 09:45 PM
LSU gets favorable regional matchups because they earn them. This is their 4th straight year to host a regional. They are simply on another wavelength, historically and at present. It can't really be argued. That statistic about being to the Finals is useless. They've also been to Omaha 3 times since Maneiri has been there, now 4. What's your point?

Todd4State
06-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Todd.....what is the best way to keep up with the draft tomorrow? And what time? thanks

MLB Network will broadcast the first round (and maybe the second round?) at 5 PM tomorrow. The draft goes on for three days and it won't end until Weds.

engie
06-07-2015, 09:53 PM
I'm pretty sure Mainieri has yet to win a game in TD Ameritrade. We'll see here pretty soon how much regular season success vs postseason success counts. As they are pretty close to having the exact same argument that our fanbase has, from the opposing viewpoint.

Todd4State
06-07-2015, 09:56 PM
LSU gets favorable regional matchups because they earn them. This is their 4th straight year to host a regional. They are simply on another wavelength, historically and at present. It can't really be argued. That statistic about being to the Finals is useless. They've also been to Omaha 3 times since Maneiri has been there, now 4. What's your point?

My point is they are not what they were. And they're not. Five of their six NC's occurred from 1991-2000. Since then, South Carolina has more NC's than they do and has appeared in the finals more Titles than any SEC team since 2000- and Vanderbilt has just as many NC's. And then MSU, Florida, and Georgia have just as many finals appearances.

Yes, they earn the match ups every year.** That's why they got knocked out at home by Stony Brook a couple of years ago. If you do not believe that politics exist with college baseball selection, then I don't know what to say other than they do. As I said, the NCAA wants them in Omaha every year if at all possible because they travel to that event and they draw well. Even if a lot of their contingent that cheers for LSU in baseball in Omaha also has season football tickets in Lincoln, NE. You can make a lot of friends with some crawfish and Cajun food.

Todd4State
06-07-2015, 10:01 PM
I'm pretty sure Mainieri has yet to win a game in TD Ameritrade. We'll see here pretty soon how much regular season success vs postseason success counts. As they are pretty close to having the exact same argument that our fanbase has, from the opposing viewpoint.

I might be mistaken about this, but I believe we were being sold on the fact that regional hosts win the regional 78% of the time. However, per D1 baseball it's actually 68% of the time.

http://www.d1baseball.com/postseason/2015-super-regional-field-analysis/

• "Eleven No. 1 seeds won regionals (68.8 percent), which is almost exactly in line with the 16-year average heading into this season (68.4 percent). Just one No. 2 seed won a regional (Arkansas), which is the fewest in the 64-team era. Three No. 3 seeds won regionals, a year after four No. 3 seeds won. And VCU became just the fifth No. 4 seed in 17 years to win a regional, following in the footsteps of Missouri in 2006, Fresno State in 2008, Stony Brook in 2012 and College of Charleston last year. Each of those four teams were loaded with talent and were very much on the national radar heading into the postseason. VCU is the unlikeliest No. 4 seed to win a regional in the 64-team era."

maroonmania
06-07-2015, 10:10 PM

High national seeds get easier regionals, no surprise there. However, they had nothing to do with ULL getting through as a 3 seed in the regional they were paired against. What's really sad is we've only hosted one SR in our history and if Clemson hadn't knocked off the 1 seed in their regional that year we wouldn't have hosted that one either.

War Machine Dawg
06-07-2015, 10:18 PM
High national seeds get easier regionals, no surprise there. However, they had nothing to do with ULL getting through as a 3 seed in the regional they were paired against. What's really sad is we've only hosted one SR in our history and if Clemson hadn't knocked off the 1 seed in their regional that year we wouldn't have hosted that one either.

Damn you for pointing out facts. Can't have that here.****

Smitty
06-07-2015, 11:09 PM
There have been 1024 teams that have been in the tournament since 1999. 128 make the College World Series. Out of these 128…

100 have been 1 seeds.
17 have been 2 seeds.
9 have been 3 seeds.
2 have been 4 seeds.

Of the CWS participants,

78% are 1 seeds.
13% are 2 seeds.
7% are 3 seeds.
1.6% are 4 seeds

maroonmania
06-08-2015, 09:31 AM
Damn you for pointing out facts. Can't have that here.****

Speaking of facts that nobody wants to think about around here, for a school whose fans want to consider its baseball program a traditional power, we have finished DEAD LAST in the SEC(not near the bottom but at the absolute bottom) 4 of the last 8 SEC seasons. Looking over our records and recent history the other day and that hit me and it was a fairly painful realization. I sort of knew it but seeing it in print it just really hit home. Of course 1 of those was the last season of Polk II and the other 3 have been under Cohen.

5 Star
06-08-2015, 09:46 AM
Speaking of facts that nobody wants to think about around here, for a school whose fans want to consider its baseball program a traditional power, we have finished DEAD LAST in the SEC(not near the bottom but at the absolute bottom) 4 of the last 8 SEC seasons. Looking over our records and recent history the other day and that hit me and it was a fairly painful realization. I sort of knew it but seeing it in print it just really hit home. Of course 1 of those was the last season of Polk II and the other 3 have been under Cohen.
"want" is the operative word in this.

Looking at accomplishments, we are behind LSU, South Carolina and Georgia at minimum in the SEC right now. Missouri has some hardware from yesteryear. Vanderbilt, while new to the party, has hardware too. Florida now has just as many Omaha appearances as us, with 1 more finals appearance. Arkansas is one more trip away from tying us.

We are a Top 20 baseball program historically. Far from a traditional power. We've really only been a national seed type team 4 or 5 times.

I seen it dawg
06-08-2015, 10:17 AM

Oh shit but you can't count us finishing last one of those for Cohen because it was Polks fault. So really we've only finished last twice under Cohen. FINISHED LAST THREE TIMES IN LAST 7 YEARS.