PDA

View Full Version : Watching Arkansas dogpile adds so much to the baseball frustration

5 Star
06-07-2015, 05:20 PM
First of all, they are the luckiest team on earth, to get to host a regional vs. a welfare national seed. That brings up another point, because the committee is screwing over better teams because they are using the RPI almost exclusively, which is a formula that favors mid-majors and northern teams. ULL being the #1 overall last year is in the same vein, that enabled Ole Miss an easier path.

With all the scholarship disadvantages we have, and all the money pouring into other SEC programs (enabling them to build nice facilities), and the in-fighting among our own, it's hard not to think we may have missed our chances at baseball greatness. I know I am thinking with negative emotions right now due to our season and the Supers right now, but so be it. However, on the bright side, it can't get much worse than watching Ole Miss last year.

I still believe the future is bright (starting next year ie immediately, or really tomorrow) and Cohen is the absolute right guy for the job, but that does not take away the sting of watching fellow SEC programs taste success in what used to be OUR sport. The Thunder/Lightning documentary, while I enjoyed it, was sort of bittersweet in the fact that we have so much history but yet still arguably a middle of the pack SEC team according to on-field results.

Negative rant over.

CadaverDawg
06-07-2015, 05:33 PM
I don't think we've missed out on our chances. We just showed 2 years ago that we can do it.

I think we need to schedule the toughest schedule possible since RPI is so damn important.

Also, I have seen MANY freshman starting pitchers in these Super's, including several Aces. We need to get this class on campus and put them on the field day one.

Schultzy
06-07-2015, 05:54 PM
Yea, I'm ready to have a Friday night guy like Lazorko, Mundy, Brantley, Morgan, Reed, DuBose, Maholm, Pigott, Stratton, Graveman again.

And closers like Holder and Whit....

Bothrops
06-07-2015, 06:10 PM
It's sickening for me to see these other teams going. I hope by some miracle ULL knocks off the Tygers.

Ralph
06-07-2015, 07:00 PM
So what was the deal with ark hosting? Assuming mizzou st didn't have the facilities or something

Todd4State
06-07-2015, 07:19 PM
The SEC is so strong that we are always going to have a chance to go deep in the postseason if we make it. I wouldn't be surprised if the CWS is all SEC/ACC teams- and this in a year where the committee tried their damndest to make the Big 10 relevant in baseball. And appear to have epically failed.

State82
06-07-2015, 07:25 PM
So what was the deal with ark hosting? Assuming mizzou st didn't have the facilities or something

Missouri State was playing at, I believe, the AA team of the Cardinals and there was a scheduling conflict that prohibited them from hosting the super.

War Machine Dawg
06-07-2015, 07:54 PM
I don't think we've missed out on our chances. We just showed 2 years ago that we can do it.

I think we need to schedule the toughest schedule possible since RPI is so damn important.

Also, I have seen MANY freshman starting pitchers in these Super's, including several Aces. We need to get this class on campus and put them on the field day one.

The only problem with that is Cohen has a lovefest with "experienced" players. Wasn't it Year 3 when he started Anti-Clutch Collins at 1B over Darryl Norris even though Norris outplayed Collins every time he got a chance? And he just continues to do it. Like many coaches, he thinks "experience" will trump talent early in careers. Problem is, talent will catch up with "experience" when given the chance to play every day without fear of being yanked for one mistake. And we all know Cohen isn't going to change his stripes in regards to being The Meddler.

CadaverDawg
06-07-2015, 08:03 PM
The only problem with that is Cohen has a lovefest with "experienced" players. Wasn't it Year 3 when he started Anti-Clutch Collins at 1B over Darryl Norris even though Norris outplayed Collins every time he got a chance? And he just continues to do it. Like many coaches, he thinks "experience" will trump talent early in careers. Problem is, talent will catch up with "experience" when given the chance to play every day without fear of being yanked for one mistake. And we all know Cohen isn't going to change his stripes in regards to being The Meddler.

Playing the youngsters gives him the best job security IMO for 2 reasons...

1. They're more talented than the veterans so they'll probably win more.

2. If we don't make a Regional next year, but look improved while playing a majority freshmen/young players, there's a much better shot at patience from fans and AD than if we lose while looking the same as 2015 with those same guys on the field.

Just my thoughts

War Machine Dawg
06-07-2015, 09:33 PM

2. If we don't make a Regional next year, but look improved while playing a majority freshmen/young players, there's a much better shot at patience from fans and AD than if we lose while looking the same as 2015 with those same guys on the field.

Just my thoughts

I agree. Just saying we all know Cohen is The Meddler and it's hard to see him not continuing to pull a guy for an 0-4 day or making one E or actually hitting the ball out of the infield. It's just who he is. That philosophy works fine in football, where there aren't as many games and every mistake is magnified. Not so much in baseball, where things tend to average out over a season. Baseball is so mental, it's crucial to let players build confidence by coming to the park and knowing a) they're going to play and b) where they'll hit everyday, regardless of whether they make an E or have a shitty day swinging the bat. The constant merry-go-round approach to lineups is ridiculous.

Todd4State
06-07-2015, 09:36 PM

Thanks for bringing this up the day before the draft. Especially since you are incorrect pretty much all the way around. But let's shoot ourselves in the foot and wonder why things don't get better because we personally "don't like" a coach? First of all- Daryl Norris was in our bullpen for half of that season. Secondly, Collins out hit him in SEC play by 30 points and in 11 starts at first or third base Norris had a grand total of ONE RBI the entire SEC season in 38 ABs.

Secondly, Cohen is right about experience winning in the SEC. I'm sure you will point out some random freshman for someone that is performing because yes, they are out there- but they are NOT the norm. You notice the exceptions because they are pointed out by the TV announcer- but the TV announcer doesn't mention the other ten-twelve freshmen for LSU that have struggled or are playing reserve roles. It's perception vs. reality.

Thirdly, if we get Austin Riley and Greg Pickett- they will start. Luke Alexander has a very real chance to start as well depending on what Holland does and if he improves. Fenter, Small, and Kale Breaux will contribute in our pitching staff as freshmen as well.

Remember last year- I said that Ryan Gridley would come to school and would play a lot for us as a freshman? And here we sit in the offseason as Gridley is coming off of being named All-freshman SEC. You're also forgetting Gavin Collins, Holder, CT Bradford- who started as a freshman the same year as Norris, Stratton who was our ace as a freshman, among others.

But let's not think and use hyperbole that's not true because you want to see Cohen- and us fail.

Todd4State
06-07-2015, 09:42 PM

Just my thoughts

Or he could just improve the pitching staff, go to a regional and make everything moot. Odds are pretty good of that happening now that Ross has graduated and Butch can't use him plus the fact that we have five pitchers in the Cape Cod League. If history repeats itself, and the "year three" rule continues to apply as it did with Stratton and Lindgren- Hudson, Sexton, Tatum, Houston, and maybe even Brown will be pretty good next year.

We'll know what kind of a year we are going to have by the end of July IMO because it was pretty obvious that by the end of their summer seasons that Stratton and Lindgren had taken big leaps.

War Machine Dawg
06-07-2015, 09:46 PM
Thanks for bringing this up the day before the draft. Especially since you are incorrect pretty much all the way around. But let's shoot ourselves in the foot and wonder why things don't get better because we personally "don't like" a coach? First of all- Daryl Norris was in our bullpen for half of that season. Secondly, Collins out hit him in SEC play by 30 points and in 11 starts at first or third base Norris had a grand total of ONE RBI the entire SEC season in 38 ABs.

Secondly, Cohen is right about experience winning in the SEC. I'm sure you will point out some random freshman for someone that is performing because yes, they are out there- but they are NOT the norm. You notice the exceptions because they are pointed out by the TV announcer- but the TV announcer doesn't mention the other ten-twelve freshmen for LSU that have struggled or are playing reserve roles. It's perception vs. reality.

Thirdly, if we get Austin Riley and Greg Pickett- they will start. Luke Alexander has a very real chance to start as well depending on what Holland does and if he improves. Fenter, Small, and Kale Breaux will contribute in our pitching staff as freshmen as well.

Remember last year- I said that Ryan Gridley would come to school and would play a lot for us as a freshman? And here we sit in the offseason as Gridley is coming off of being named All-freshman SEC. You're also forgetting Gavin Collins, Holder, CT Bradford- who started as a freshman the same year as Norris, Stratton who was our ace as a freshman, among others.

But let's not think and use hyperbole that's not true because you want to see Cohen- and us fail.

http://i.imgur.com/i0KwkqR.gif

http://i.imgur.com/ElMQg59.gif

engie
06-07-2015, 09:51 PM
We'll know what kind of a year we are going to have by the end of July IMO because it was pretty obvious that by the end of their summer seasons that Stratton and Lindgren had taken big leaps.

Girodo as well. I agree that we'll have a pretty good idea before these guys make it back to campus.

Treemydawg
06-07-2015, 11:45 PM

Just how do you gather that he wants Cohen, and us to fail by his post? That's just asinine. He pointed out Cohens meddler mentality and how it hurts our team. Your just grasping at straws by saying he wants to see us and Cohen fail. Why would any state fan want their team to fail? Just for the record I'm not trying to help WMD out. I still think he is a titty baby for wanting me banned after me calling out the 1a-1b bullshit after the UAB game last year saying I was a troll, but that's a topic for another day.

shoeless joe
06-08-2015, 07:37 AM
Some just don't get it...program be damned as long as they are proven correct.

And all things being equal experience does trump raw talent...those things won't be equal with this group.

War Machine Dawg
06-08-2015, 10:35 AM
Just how do you gather that he wants Cohen, and us to fail by his post? That's just asinine. He pointed out Cohens meddler mentality and how it hurts our team. Your just grasping at straws by saying he wants to see us and Cohen fail. Why would any state fan want their team to fail? Just for the record I'm not trying to help WMD out. I still think he is a titty baby for wanting me banned after me calling out the 1a-1b bullshit after the UAB game last year saying I was a troll, but that's a topic for another day.

http://i.imgur.com/If8hot2.gif

C'mon, mane. Let it go. Considering the number of legit trolls we have running around here, you can understand my skepticism of a new poster running his mouth and running down our program over an inconsequential game. The 1A/1B thing had little or nothing to do with why UAB torched us. They hit about 5 huge plays that day against both units. It had way more to do with shitty secondary play and a lack of pressure on the QB. 1A/1B got exposed over the course of the season, but blaming it for the UAB game is ridiculous. The D as a whole played like garbage that day, minus Preston's ridiculous INT.

Treemydawg
06-08-2015, 10:39 AM
http://i.imgur.com/If8hot2.gif

C'mon, mane. Let it go. Considering the number of legit trolls we have running around here, you can understand my skepticism of a new poster running his mouth and running down our program over an inconsequential game. The 1A/1B thing had little or nothing to do with why UAB torched us. They hit about 5 huge plays that day against both units. It had way more to do with shitty secondary play and a lack of pressure on the QB. 1A/1B got exposed over the course of the season, but blaming it for the UAB game is ridiculous. The D as a whole played like garbage that day, minus Preston's ridiculous INT.

This is true.

Ralph
06-08-2015, 12:00 PM
As a former pitcher it bugs me that cohen is a meddler with pitchers too. Don't mind the rotation changes but any time a pitcher gets in trouble he gets yanked instead of letting them battle through. That would mess with mental aspect of pitching so much bc a pitchers so damn uptight bc he knows if he gives up a couple hits in an inning his day is done. The lineup changes are much more asinine but same concept with pitching.

BiscuitEater
06-08-2015, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the CWS is all SEC/ACC teams- and this in a year where the committee tried their damndest to make the Big 10 relevant in baseball. And appear to have epically failed.

Does a good job getting there .. but have NOT won a CWS since 1955 and that was Wake Forest. Fla State has been a lot .. VA, Louisville and Miami* have been strong lately .. but still 'no cigar.'

*Miami's previous wins came before they joined the ACC