PDA

View Full Version : Big day tomorrow for baseball '16

msstate7
06-07-2015, 01:04 PM
Hate to wish bad luck on our signees, but I hope we get em to school. Hopefully they slip tomorrow and are all 1-4 rounders 3 years from now

Bully13
06-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Until we figure out a way to entice high round draft picks to come to MSU, we will struggle to reach the top on a consistent basis. I see other schools like UCLA and Vandy doing it but it appears we just can't do it. I'm sure LSU does it too. why do these other programs have the ability to do this and what prevents us from being able to?

maroonmania
06-07-2015, 01:09 PM
How many rounds get drafted tomorrow?

msstate7
06-07-2015, 01:14 PM
How many rounds get drafted tomorrow?

I guess Tuesday will most likely be our big day

Coach34
06-07-2015, 01:35 PM
Other schools do a better job of getting tuition paid for is one reason

ShotgunDawg
06-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Until we figure out a way to entice high round draft picks to come to MSU, we will struggle to reach the top on a consistent basis. I see other schools like UCLA and Vandy doing it but it appears we just can't do it. I'm sure LSU does it too. why do these other programs have the ability to do this and what prevents us from being able to?

Vandy is the biggest one. LSU struggles to get these guys on campus just as much as we do.

Lang wasn't drafted last year because he was asking for a million dollars & Bregman fell in the draft his Sr year of high school because he broke a bone

ShotgunDawg
06-07-2015, 01:49 PM

I guess Tuesday will most likely be our big day

Actually, tomorrow is our big day. Riley, Fenter, Small, etc don't go in the 1st two rounds, they are likely coming to school unless someone overpays them

5 Star
06-07-2015, 01:50 PM
Do you really need someone to answer this question for you?

Vanderbilt and LSU are obvious. UCLA is simply located in a hotbed of talent, and I'm fairly certain they probably have some variation of the same advantage of the previous two, seeing that it's California. I wish MSU could find some type of way to consistently recruit there, but I don't think it's practical. We got one guy, and he started as a freshman. And look at how many teams from out there made regionals: UCLA, USC, Bakersfield, Cal, Pepperdine, Santa Barbara, Fullerton, San Diego State. San Diego was a good team too, and Stanford and Irvine also have good programs. Not to mention the rest of the Pac-12 fills their rosters with California players, and they are probably second best, if not THE best, baseball conference out there with the SEC.

AlSwearengen
06-07-2015, 02:39 PM
I'm tired of hearing about signees being top ten round talent if they were "signable" and then not doing shit. I want to see someone drafted in the second round and turn down the money. Then I want to see them do something once they get here.

Todd4State
06-07-2015, 02:58 PM

Vanderbilt and LSU are obvious. UCLA is simply located in a hotbed of talent, and I'm fairly certain they probably have some variation of the same advantage of the previous two, seeing that it's California. I wish MSU could find some type of way to consistently recruit there, but I don't think it's practical. We got one guy, and he started as a freshman. And look at how many teams from out there made regionals: UCLA, USC, Bakersfield, Cal, Pepperdine, Santa Barbara, Fullerton, San Diego State. San Diego was a good team too, and Stanford and Irvine also have good programs. Not to mention the rest of the Pac-12 fills their rosters with California players, and they are probably second best, if not THE best, baseball conference out there with the SEC.

Schools like UCLA, Vanderbilt, and LSU all get burned- but we don't realize it because we only see the ones that they actually get.

UCLA got burned REAL bad last year. They had Brady Aiken and Jacob Nix both committed and their negotiations turned into a huge fiasco with the Astros- and eventually it fell apart all together. Aiken was one of the top five picks in the entire draft- but instead of going to UCLA they went to the IMG Academy in Florida to get back in the draft this year.

Although in hindsight, the Astros were right about Aiken needing Tommy John, so UCLA really didn't get burned THAT bad I guess.

LSU lost Mac Marshall and also lost Zach Lee after he was ON CAMPUS.

Vanderbilt lost Touki Touissant and Dylan Cease last year.

So, it happens to everybody- you just have to pray and hope for the best.

Todd4State
06-07-2015, 02:59 PM

Schools like UCLA, Vanderbilt, and LSU all get burned- but we don't realize it because we only see the ones that they actually get.

UCLA got burned REAL bad last year. They had Brady Aiken and Jacob Nix both committed and their negotiations turned into a huge fiasco with the Astros- and eventually it fell apart all together. Aiken was one of the top five picks in the entire draft- but instead of going to UCLA they went to the IMG Academy in Florida to get back in the draft this year.

Although in hindsight, the Astros were right about Aiken needing Tommy John, so UCLA really didn't get burned THAT bad I guess.

KB21
06-07-2015, 03:05 PM
Vandy also lost Cody Reed and Justus Sheffield last year.

shoeless joe
06-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Other schools do a better job of getting tuition paid for is the reason

FIFY

ShotgunDawg
06-07-2015, 03:11 PM

Well said Todd....

The trick is signing as many of these guys as possible & having the best chance of a few slipping to college.

smootness
06-07-2015, 03:41 PM
Actually, tomorrow is our big day. Riley, Fenter, Small, etc don't go in the 1st two rounds, they are likely coming to school unless someone overpays them

None of those guys are going in the first 2 rounds. But the reality is, if any go in the top 4-5 rounds, it's not a great sign because that means the team thinks they have a good shot to sign them.

FWIW, I haven't seen Small anywhere on anyone's rankings. BA didn't list him in their top 500. I feel like he'll be in Starkville unless he just absolutely doesn't want to come to college.

SDDawg
06-07-2015, 03:42 PM
Other schools do a better job of getting tuition paid for is one reason

This just a $$ issue, or is there more to it?

KB21
06-07-2015, 03:57 PM
This just a $$ issue, or is there more to it?

Vandy has an advantage because they have such a large endowment, they can give academic scholarships that essentially gives some of their players full rides, so they can then use more of their athletic money on other players who are threats to go pro.

ShotgunDawg
06-07-2015, 05:04 PM
None of those guys are going in the first 2 rounds.

And you know this how?

BTW, there is a chance that two of our guys go in the 2nd round.

State82
06-07-2015, 05:09 PM
What about Arkansas? What's their deal compared to Vandy, LSU, etc? They only have 8 guys from the state of Arkansas on the roster. The more I have watched the last two weeks the more baffled I become with regard to our situation.

5 Star
06-07-2015, 05:36 PM
What about Arkansas? What's their deal compared to Vandy, LSU, etc? They only have 8 guys from the state of Arkansas on the roster. The more I have watched the last two weeks the more baffled I become with regard to our situation.
I don't think Arkansas has the scholarship advantages, but I'm not sure. I do know this, with their stadium they have pretty much closed the gap between us and them as far as attendance. I heard they had a 'record' crowd this weekend, not sure if that is their own record or NCAA Super Regional record. In addition, they get all the talent that comes from the state of Arkansas. All in all, they are very similar to us - in the context of the programs, we have 9 CWS appearances to their 8, after today.

CadaverDawg
06-07-2015, 05:40 PM
I don't think Arkansas has the scholarship advantages, but I'm not sure. I do know this, with their stadium they have pretty much closed the gap between us and them as far as attendance. I heard they had a 'record' crowd this weekend, not sure if that is their own record or NCAA Super Regional record. In addition, they get all the talent that comes from the state of Arkansas. All in all, they are very similar to us - in the context of the programs, we have 9 CWS appearances to their 8, after today.

They aren't on our level yet crowd-wise. It was an Arkansas crowd record in the 11,000 range.

ShotgunDawg
06-07-2015, 05:54 PM
Arkansas is an interesting case. They are good because they can pluck a few kids out of Dallas & really appeal to kids from Kansas City, Missouri, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, & Oklahoma. Arkansas isn't in a great recruiting area, but because of where they are located they can recruit as the "Biggest Dawg" in a large area.

That being said, they only have a few top 5 type round draft picks in Benintendi & Zach Jackson. Outside of those two players, they actually have a very similar talent level to us. As a program, MSU is a ways away from being Florida, Vandy, or LSU from a talent perspective, but Arkansas & A&M are very much within our reach. There is no reason that we shouldn't be at least equals to them.

smootness
06-07-2015, 06:03 PM
And you know this how?

BTW, there is a chance that two of our guys go in the 2nd round.

Well, I'll put it this way - none of those guys are being projected to be picked in that range.

And people keep mentioning Small, but again, he's not listed on any ranking I've seen.

Todd4State
06-07-2015, 06:06 PM

What Shotgun said. Arkansas is not a strong area for baseball as a whole. But Arkansas is pretty close to Texas- and they can sell the SEC. Plus Missouri is a very strong baseball state thanks to the Cardinals and Royals- Kansas City is a VERY good and underrated baseball town because the Royals sucked for years.

Mississippi is sort of like our situation in football- we're a small state, but we produce good talent per capita. Because of our tradition and all of that, we do pretty well recruiting locally. But because most Mississippi baseball players are raw, you don't see very many Stephen Head's.

Todd4State
06-07-2015, 06:06 PM
Well, I'll put it this way - none of those guys are being projected to be picked in that range.

And people keep mentioning Small, but again, he's not listed on any ranking I've seen.

Neither was Dale Burdick last year.

maroonmania
06-07-2015, 07:56 PM

Well if a player wants to go pro bad enough he is going to go no matter the round. Its up to our coaching staff to identify that type of player and weigh whether he's even worth signing. Of course even that can fall through as there is around 9 months and a full senior season between signing these guys and when the MLB draft occurs. I don't envy college baseball coaches, that's for sure.

Vinsanity
06-07-2015, 08:45 PM
I thought baseball players got cost of attendance scholarships as well or is it just for football?

HancockCountyDog
06-08-2015, 10:38 AM
I don't think we will have a single signee drafted today. That is my prediction.

engie
06-08-2015, 11:06 AM
I don't think we will have a single signee drafted today. That is my prediction.

Leaning toward same.

Tomorrow is the big day IMO

HancockCountyDog
06-08-2015, 11:11 AM
Leaning toward same.

Tomorrow is the big day IMO

Yep - today is important to see what teams sign guys for well under slot deals. Those teams we want to stay away from our signees, regardless of what round they are drafted in between rounds 3-10.

bulldogcountry1
06-08-2015, 11:29 AM
I'm sure staffs do their best to get a feel for how bad a kid wants to come to college, but it's still frustrating to read about a kid wanting to come to college for years (in some cases), only to see them sign middling contracts.

smootness
06-08-2015, 11:48 AM

Yeah, and he wasn't picked in the first two rounds, or anywhere close to that. We may have a couple of signees that just want to go pro, and if that's the case, then the draft doesn't really matter because they'll go no matter where they're taken.

But Shotgun specifically listed Fenter, Riley, and Small as possibly going in the first two rounds, and I would be incredibly surprised if any of the three is actually taken at some point today.

maroonmania
06-08-2015, 01:28 PM
What time is the draft today?

msstate7
06-08-2015, 01:35 PM
What time is the draft today?

5 central I think. May be 6

Dawg61
06-08-2015, 01:47 PM
5 central I think. May be 6

6pm Central and it's on MLBNetwork