PDA

View Full Version : Is Preachermatt a genius -- or on a snake eyes streak? (My Apology)

engie
06-06-2015, 10:34 PM
- basically nailed the football season. At least prior to the egg bowl. Even though everyone understood our potential level, I don't think any practically reasoning person really thought we would make it through LSU, aTm, and Auburn unscathed. He called it. And it happened.

- called the basketball season. This one seems a bit obvious in hindsight. I have to admit, I forced myself to to believe all the way until the home Bama loss we pissed away that would have put us into the NIT bubble and instead put us out of contention for the postseason(the one where they mic'd up Ray in the timeouts with "the offense will take care of itself" bs. This may have been my worst practical departure -- hoping against hope. By the time it was over, I was hoping Strick would make a move, and glad when we did. Ray deserved his chance, got it, and failed. Lost that bet. Seeing the fanbase unite under Howland in a way we honestly have not seen since 96 is something that makes me wonder about Cohen. I'm just not sure he can ever unite the fanbase in the way Howland has, regardless of his true aptitude or success level. I'll be honest -- this year sucked on every single level. But i know baseball. And hearing him talk inspires confidence in me. He's not blind to our problems. But the bottom line is that his hall pass is gone and next year will tell the tale.

- called the baseball meltdown. Thought it was the most asinine thing I had seen posted in a long time when he called it. And still doesn't make sense to me how it actually happened given obvious talent level(7x guys in the cape) and the sheer number of screw ups that had to happen to allow it to transpire. He went wayyy into left field with that one -- and ended up being correct. Speaking of which -- I realized tonight I had a bet on that which I have been failing to honor. My apologies. I'll straighten up on that front.

Reality is, I'm a non-confrontational person IRL. I rarely argue and almost always go with the flow. Heck, basically everything I do is by the secondhand Ron Polk school of never showing public emotion. It is a taught response I've never shaken, although my true personality fits more with the Cohen way. In the rare occasion that I actually do get drawn in, it goes about like you would expect given my approach to online arguments. I can generally make a compelling case even when I'm totally wrong. And the more wrong I am, or the higher potential my argument has of being wrong, depending on the approach of those I disagree with, the more I go for the jugular. It's both a positive and negative personality trait. People love it when they agree and hate it when they do not. But I'm not too proud nor too hardheaded to circle back to it and admit when I am wrong. And the truth is -- preacher has made me look like a fool this season regardless of how well I can window dress the argument. Engie(or the Reb that allegedly bought my account), out.

Dawgface
06-06-2015, 10:40 PM
What's his forecast for this coming season? I'm ready to bet with my local bookie.

Coach34
06-06-2015, 10:47 PM
- basically nailed the football season. At least prior to the egg bowl. Even though everyone understood our potential level, I don't think any practically reasoning person really thought we would make it through LSU, aTm, and Auburn unscathed. He called it. And it happened.

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?19000-C34-s-SEC-West-preview-2014&highlight=UPig

2. Miss State

Todd4State
06-06-2015, 11:13 PM
I knew we were done in baseball when we lost to Arkansas Pine Bluff. That told me we had major issues with leadership and a bunch of p******.

BulldogBear
06-06-2015, 11:23 PM
http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?19000-C34-s-SEC-West-preview-2014&highlight=UPig

2. Miss State

I really enjoyed reading that thread again.

Engie, you're a top hand as JP (Robert Mitchum) said about Cole Thornton (John Wayne) in El Dorado. Maybe Matt will predict 12-0 and only be off by one again.

preachermatt83
06-06-2015, 11:35 PM

- called the basketball season. This one seems a bit obvious in hindsight. I have to admit, I forced myself to to believe all the way until the home Bama loss we pissed away that would have put us into the NIT bubble and instead put us out of contention for the postseason(the one where they mic'd up Ray in the timeouts with "the offense will take care of itself" bs. This may have been my worst practical departure -- hoping against hope. By the time it was over, I was hoping Strick would make a move, and glad when we did. Ray deserved his chance, got it, and failed. Lost that bet. Seeing the fanbase unite under Howland in a way we honestly have not seen since 96 is something that makes me wonder about Cohen. I'm just not sure he can ever unite the fanbase in the way Howland has, regardless of his true aptitude or success level. I'll be honest -- this year sucked on every single level. But i know baseball. And hearing him talk inspires confidence in me. He's not blind to our problems. But the bottom line is that his hall pass is gone and next year will tell the tale.

- called the baseball meltdown. Thought it was the most asinine thing I had seen posted in a long time when he called it. And still doesn't make sense to me how it actually happened given obvious talent level(7x guys in the cape) and the sheer number of screw ups that had to happen to allow it to transpire. He went wayyy into left field with that one -- and ended up being correct. Speaking of which -- I realized tonight I had a bet on that which I have been failing to honor. My apologies. I'll straighten up on that front.

Reality is, I'm a non-confrontational person IRL. I rarely argue and almost always go with the flow. Heck, basically everything I do is by the secondhand Ron Polk school of never showing public emotion. It is a taught response I've never shaken, although my true personality fits more with the Cohen way. In the rare occasion that I actually do get drawn in, it goes about like you would expect given my approach to online arguments. I can generally make a compelling case even when I'm totally wrong. And the more wrong I am, or the higher potential my argument has of being wrong, depending on the approach of those I disagree with, the more I go for the jugular. It's both a positive and negative personality trait. People love it when they agree and hate it when they do not. But I'm not too proud nor too hardheaded to circle back to it and admit when I am wrong. And the truth is -- preacher has made me look like a fool this season regardless of how well I can window dress the argument. Engie(or the Reb that allegedly bought my account), out.

Appreciate you admitting that but the truth is I never wanted to argue with you... I just don't like to be called an idiot for stating an opinion or making predictions. You seem like a good guy. I fully relinquish you from fulfilling your bet. You offer a lot to the board in both basketball and baseball and I would hate to not have it around. I just ask that next time I make some wild prediction out of left field that you remember this years events. Good night bro.

PReacher

tcdog70
06-07-2015, 11:09 AM
It did make for some long threads and kept us all engaged in our beliefs. in the end we are all Bulldogs.

MSUDawg99
06-07-2015, 11:09 AM
I knew we were done in baseball when we lost to Arkansas Pine Bluff. That told me we had major issues with leadership and a bunch of p******.

THats when I mentally/emotionally withdrew too.

maroonmania
06-07-2015, 11:53 AM
Seeing the fanbase unite under Howland in a way we honestly have not seen since 96 is something that makes me wonder about Cohen. I'm just not sure he can ever unite the fanbase in the way Howland has, regardless of his true aptitude or success level.

No, Ron Polk made sure of that from the get go and is something that I personally will NEVER forgive him for. Whether Cohen would have held unified support is up for debate, but there is no reason why a former player with a great resume coming back to be our HC shouldn't have been universally applauded by the fanbase except that Polk's ego was not going to allow it.

blacklistedbully
06-07-2015, 12:48 PM

Hate to, "toot my own horn", but I was predicting the same thing at the same time. ;)

blacklistedbully
06-07-2015, 01:06 PM
From Beastman's "2014 Comprehensive SEC Preview" thread

preachermatt's post quoting me:
vCash

Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
Sorry, I just can't believe you think our most likely ceiling is 8 wins. We have:

1. USM
2. UAB
3. USB
4. UT-MArtin
5. UK
6. Vandy
7. UPig

If we don't win all 7 of those, something is really wrong. And if we win 7 of those, winning just 1 more other than that would be a disgrace, IMO.

If Dan wins just 8 games this year, with the talent he has returning and the schedule set up the way it is, he should be run outta town on a rail, barring a barrage of key injuries. 8 wins should be an embarrassment this year, not a ceiling.

yes yes yes!!! 100% correct on everything!!

blacklistedbully
06-07-2015, 01:09 PM
And this post of mine from that same thread:

vCash
1. USM
2. UAB
3. USB
4. UT-MArtin
5. UK
6. Vandy
7. UPig

Does anybody here really think we should not win all 7 of these? I'm not talking about upsets, because there's as much chance of us upsetting another team as there is of being upset. So, if you agree we should get 7 wins from the above, that leaves us with:

TAMU
LSU
Ole Miss
Auburn
Alabama

Would some of y'all really be ok with losing 4 of those 5? I just can't understand that, not given what we have coming back versus what the others have coming back. I fully expect us to beat TSUN, Auburn & TAMU, and feel we have a GREAT shot at beating LSU. The only reason I don't include them in the "expect" column is the fact it is at LSU.

Now, we've gotten beat badly by Bama most years, yet we gave them a tough game last year. We will be much better this year, IMO, and they will quite likely not be quite as good. I think we've at least got a puncher's chance at Bama this year as well.

To me, we must win those 7 I first mentioned, and we really should win at least 3 of the next 5. We are going to be better than TAMU & TSUN, at least as good as Auburn, who we could (and maybe should) have beaten 4 of the past 5 games, and this year the gap is closed even more. With LSU's loss of starters the past couple of years, we quite likely could finally have a better combination of talent, experience & depth than they do. We have come close to beating them before when the talent/experience/depth gap was widely in their favor. That's not the case this year.

I just don't see how we, as fans, could be happy with anything less than 10 wins in the regular season this year. The stars are aligning, folks. It's time to shit or get off the pot in football! This is OUR STATE and OUR YEAR!!!!!

It's a damn fine day to be a Bulldog!

Coach34
06-07-2015, 01:26 PM
Hope ya'll enjoyed it- we lost 28 starters so we are going to suck this year

MabenMaroon
06-07-2015, 01:36 PM

I thought it was 33 starters***

Dawg61
06-07-2015, 02:18 PM
From Beastman's "2014 Comprehensive SEC Preview" thread

preachermatt's post quoting me:
vCash

Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
Sorry, I just can't believe you think our most likely ceiling is 8 wins. We have:

1. USM
2. UAB
3. USB
4. UT-MArtin
5. UK
6. Vandy
7. UPig

If we don't win all 7 of those, something is really wrong. And if we win 7 of those, winning just 1 more other than that would be a disgrace, IMO.

If Dan wins just 8 games this year, with the talent he has returning and the schedule set up the way it is, he should be run outta town on a rail, barring a barrage of key injuries. 8 wins should be an embarrassment this year, not a ceiling.

yes yes yes!!! 100% correct on everything!!

And this post of mine from that same thread:

vCash
1. USM
2. UAB
3. USB
4. UT-MArtin
5. UK
6. Vandy
7. UPig

Does anybody here really think we should not win all 7 of these? I'm not talking about upsets, because there's as much chance of us upsetting another team as there is of being upset. So, if you agree we should get 7 wins from the above, that leaves us with:

TAMU
LSU
Ole Miss
Auburn
Alabama

Would some of y'all really be ok with losing 4 of those 5? I just can't understand that, not given what we have coming back versus what the others have coming back. I fully expect us to beat TSUN, Auburn & TAMU, and feel we have a GREAT shot at beating LSU. The only reason I don't include them in the "expect" column is the fact it is at LSU.

Now, we've gotten beat badly by Bama most years, yet we gave them a tough game last year. We will be much better this year, IMO, and they will quite likely not be quite as good. I think we've at least got a puncher's chance at Bama this year as well.

To me, we must win those 7 I first mentioned, and we really should win at least 3 of the next 5. We are going to be better than TAMU & TSUN, at least as good as Auburn, who we could (and maybe should) have beaten 4 of the past 5 games, and this year the gap is closed even more. With LSU's loss of starters the past couple of years, we quite likely could finally have a better combination of talent, experience & depth than they do. We have come close to beating them before when the talent/experience/depth gap was widely in their favor. That's not the case this year.

I just don't see how we, as fans, could be happy with anything less than 10 wins in the regular season this year. The stars are aligning, folks. It's time to shit or get off the pot in football! This is OUR STATE and OUR YEAR!!!!!

It's a damn fine day to be a Bulldog!

Hate to, "toot my own horn", but I was predicting the same thing at the same time. ;)

Yea really looks like you hate to toot your own horn**

State82
06-07-2015, 02:25 PM

Funny thing, I've heard the exact same thing. And from professionals that really know their stuff.**

CadaverDawg
06-07-2015, 02:28 PM

Haha +1, kinda what I was thinking.

blacklistedbully
06-07-2015, 07:09 PM

;) To be fair, I didn't jump on here after it happened proclaiming my brilliance. I'm just responding to the OP with facts and backup.

Todd4State
06-07-2015, 07:16 PM
No, Ron Polk made sure of that from the get go and is something that I personally will NEVER forgive him for. Whether Cohen would have held unified support is up for debate, but there is no reason why a former player with a great resume coming back to be our HC shouldn't have been universally applauded by the fanbase except that Polk's ego was not going to allow it.

If Ron Polk had made it to the NC round and then had a losing season, how much of a pass would he have gotten from many of our fans? And before someone mentions Polk having a losing season one year after making it to Omaha- Polk wasn't fired. He legitimately retired and Byrne would not have fired him after one losing season.

War Machine Dawg
06-07-2015, 07:45 PM

Agree with Every. Single. Word. Can't be said any better.

MadDawg
06-08-2015, 11:01 AM
"I can generally make a compelling case even when I'm totally wrong. And the more wrong I am, or the higher potential my argument has of being wrong, depending on the approach of those I disagree with, the more I go for the jugular."

Haha. I totally can relate here. Props for the honest post. And props for admitting when you are wrong. We disagree a lot on here, but I'll never dispute that you bring a lot to this board and make it interesting to read.

tcdog70
06-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Engie--you bring compelling stats to the argument. And you have a unique ability to bend them to your argument. Sometimes out of context. The main gripe I have with you, is when your argument goes south you tend to call people ugly names. That sometimes could get your ass whipped if you were face to face. But I agree with a lot you post and most of the time I don't on Basketball.

engie
06-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Engie--you bring compelling stats to the argument. And you have a unique ability to bend them to your argument. Sometimes out of context. The main gripe I have with you, is when your argument goes south you tend to call people ugly names. That sometimes could get your ass whipped if you were face to face. But I agree with a lot you post and most of the time I don't on Basketball.

Since I legitimately have not had a losing fight since I was barely driving age 16 years ago -- and been directly involved in less than a handful overall -- this doesn't seem to be a very big problem for me IRL. In the real world I don't have to call dumb people dumb -- I can just assess then avoid them. You can't really do that online and follow conversations effectively. I've tried.

I'm never going to stop calling dumb dumb. I just don't have a problem self-applying and calling myself dumb when hindsight shows that I have been either. It's about balance. I've legitimately started more threads calling myself out for being wrong than I have started calling any other individuals out for being wrong. Now, inside the context of others' threads, especially the ones that call me out in the first place, I have no problem going for the jugular on stuff. But I've never found my "being right" important enough to remind anyone when I am, although I do try to when I'm not.

preachermatt83
03-19-2018, 03:16 PM
Bump... checkmate.

Lord McBuckethead
03-19-2018, 03:26 PM

HMmmm. We lost to Auburn, big time.

Dawg61
03-19-2018, 03:30 PM
Bump... checkmate.

It's not 2015 anymore. Seems like you used up your snake eyes.

preachermatt83
03-19-2018, 03:32 PM
It's not 2015 anymore. Seems like you used up your snake eyes.

Just wanted to prove a point

RougeDawg
03-19-2018, 05:11 PM
Anyone know what Engine is doing these day? That guy was a character, to put it nicely.

Bulldog1
03-19-2018, 05:19 PM
Anyone know what Engine is doing these day? That guy was a character, to put it nicely.

On tRant i think

CadaverDawg
03-19-2018, 06:16 PM

Arguing with somebody as we speak. No doubt about that shit.

Bully13
03-19-2018, 06:20 PM
Anybody care to bring us old slackers up to date on this revitalized thread?

ScoobaDawg
03-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Link to ancient threads don't bump them.