PDA

View Full Version : Jalen Hurts

Ifyouonlyknew
06-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Hurts is supposed to be announncing today. Word is Bama. Can't lie this 1 would be a kick in the stomach. I knew they were a factor but didn't think this would happen.

msstate7
06-05-2015, 02:09 PM
And after the other kid announced ucf...

maroonmania
06-05-2015, 02:13 PM
If we miss out on Hurts then I'm wondering if we will even take a QB this year.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-05-2015, 02:16 PM
If we miss out on Hurts then I'm wondering if we will even take a QB this year.

Wondering the same myself.

BankerDog
06-05-2015, 02:19 PM
Weird. A lot of people were thinking JaWon Pass would be Bama's QB in this class.

smootness
06-05-2015, 02:23 PM
So we went from Jawon Pass, to Jalen Hurts, to Sawyer Smith, back to Hurts, and now nothing. I have to say, Mullen's QB development has been amazing, but he has really screwed up the QB recruitment to a pretty crazy degree. We usually don't end up with the one we want.

I would assume we can still go back to Sawyer Smith at some point and get him from UCF if we want? Hopefully that bridge isn't burned too badly.

jumbo
06-05-2015, 02:35 PM
So we went from Jawon Pass, to Jalen Hurts, to Sawyer Smith, back to Hurts, and now nothing. I have to say, Mullen's QB development has been amazing, but he has really screwed up the QB recruitment to a pretty crazy degree. We usually don't end up with the one we want.

I would assume we can still go back to Sawyer Smith at some point and get him from UCF if we want? Hopefully that bridge isn't burned too badly.

it's June. no need to panic.

Bothrops
06-05-2015, 02:41 PM
If we miss on our top 3 targets, I wouldn't take one this year.

jumbo
06-05-2015, 02:45 PM
well so far we've missed on 1

smootness
06-05-2015, 02:45 PM
it's June. no need to panic.

I'm not panicking. Worst-case scenario, we'll still ok at QB for the future. I'm just saying this is a trend. I believe in Mullen's ability to develop guys into at least decent QBs, but getting less talent than we otherwise could nonetheless does hold us back to some degree.

Dawg61
06-05-2015, 02:50 PM
I'm not panicking. Worst-case scenario, we'll still ok at QB for the future. I'm just saying this is a trend. I believe in Mullen's ability to develop guys into at least decent QBs, but getting less talent than we otherwise could nonetheless does hold us back to some degree.

The type of QB that Mullen prefers physically (big dual threat) isn't usually rated as the 5* type. We have five good QBs on campus with one being a serious Heisman candidate. What are you complaining about again?

maroonmania
06-05-2015, 03:03 PM
Well, on the bright side, hopefully Cord Sandberg will flame out in pro baseball sooner rather than later.

Irondawg
06-05-2015, 03:04 PM
Hmmm, when did Bama enter as a strong contender? that came out of the blue, I thought it was us and A&M

Ifyouonlyknew
06-05-2015, 03:08 PM
Hmmm, when did Bama enter as a strong contender? that came out of the blue, I thought it was us and A&M

Top 3 has been Bama, MSU, & A&M for a while. Most just assumed A&M & MSU lead. Obviously Bama was more of a threat than anybody assumed on either the A&M or MSU side.

Really Clark?
06-05-2015, 03:10 PM

I thought the last two years the recruiting has been good, very stable and settled early with QB's. Before July of their year, we had Tiano, Staley and Fitz committed.

Same with Cord in 2013, very late blow up in baseball changed that. Nothing with our coaches. Now I know everybody wants to point at Dobbs but he would never come to campus. If he won't visit then he is not coming. Everybody would have screamed bloody murder but I thought we should have cut ties with Dobbs much sooner to pursue other QB's much much harder in the fall of that year. But understand that it was hard when you are being told certain things.

defiantdog
06-05-2015, 03:30 PM
He'll still make visits through out the year though. I wouldn't give up on Hurts until signing day. We are in great shape with him especially with Brian Johnson as his lead recruiter.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-05-2015, 03:34 PM
He'll still make visits through out the year though. I wouldn't give up on Hurts until signing day. We are in great shape with him especially with Brian Johnson as his lead recruiter.

I wouldn't say that. If/when he chooses Bama only way we are able to get back in the game with him is if Jawon Pass still chooses Bama. Then he may not want to be in a 2 QB class.

ETA: Jalen is an EE so you don't have until signing day.

smootness
06-05-2015, 03:36 PM
The type of QB that Mullen prefers physically (big dual threat) isn't usually rated as the 5* type. We have five good QBs on campus with one being a serious Heisman candidate. What are you complaining about again?

I want us to get the best QB talent we can get, and this is not the first time we've passed on one guy to go after another, only to have that guy pass on us and leave us in a bind. Not the second time, either.

I don't want to make a big deal out of it; just saying it's an area I would like to see improvement or a change in approach.

FISHDAWG
06-05-2015, 03:48 PM
I thought the last two years the recruiting has been good, very stable and settled early with QB's. Before July of their year, we had Tiano, Staley and Fitz committed.

Same with Cord in 2013, very late blow up in baseball changed that. Nothing with our coaches. Now I know everybody wants to point at Dobbs but he would never come to campus. If he won't visit then he is not coming. Everybody would have screamed bloody murder but I thought we should have cut ties with Dobbs much sooner to pursue other QB's much much harder in the fall of that year. But understand that it was hard when you are being told certain things.

yep ... we even retracted our offer to the QB from Texas - the one who's HS coach got all mad ... btw, I haven't heard much about Tiano ... anyone know how he is working out ?

Ifyouonlyknew
06-05-2015, 03:49 PM
yep ... we even retracted our offer to the QB from Texas - the one who's HS coach got all mad ... btw, I haven't heard much about Tiano ... anyone know how he is working out ?

Little early to know only been on campus 4 days.

archdog
06-05-2015, 04:32 PM
Little early to know only been on campus 4 days.

I heard 4 days in and he has already looking as the heir apparent. #hypelevel5

nsvltndog
06-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Best bet would be for a 5 star redshirt freshman QB at Bama to settle into starting role this fall and look really good. That guy lighting it up is who he has to take the job away from unless he wants to wait 3+ years to play.

I like our QB bench, but we will have a wide open QB job his first season on campus if Hurts comes to MSU.

BHildreth3
06-05-2015, 05:34 PM
If we don't get Jalen, then I say wait and try to remember when we had Croom QBs.

Haaaa, I feel better after thanking our good Lord we have quality QB depth!

HSVDawg
06-05-2015, 05:42 PM
Hurts is supposed to be announncing today. Word is Bama. Can't lie this 1 would be a kick in the stomach. I knew they were a factor but didn't think this would happen.

So did he commit to Bama or not?

Goldendawg
06-05-2015, 05:43 PM
So did he commit to Bama or not?

24/7 says he is still uncomitted.

ShotgunDawg
06-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Why in the hell would a QB with Hurts' skill set go to Bama? That would a terrible decision for him to maximize his ability. The advice that these kids is absurd.

I seen it dawg
06-05-2015, 06:39 PM
Bama just had a big camp he was at

Ifyouonlyknew
06-05-2015, 06:51 PM
Bama just had a big camp he was at

He hasn't been to Bama since April. He visited Bama the day before he came to see MSU during spring practice.

ShotgunDawg
06-05-2015, 07:03 PM
I'm amazed at how desperate recruits are to make sure Bama keeps winning. They haven't produced a starting NFL QB in over 20+ years, so it certainly has nothing to do with getting to the NFL. It's something that kids turn down the best QB developer in the SEC just to help Bama win games.

What did Bama ever do for them for such loyalty?

MSUDawg99
06-05-2015, 07:56 PM
Slight change of subject but similar, so Quincy Linton back on campus today? Interesting!

Bothrops
06-05-2015, 08:36 PM
Slight change of subject but similar, so Quincy Linton back on campus today? Interesting!

I believe we'll get him back. I hope so

Billy Ray Valentine
06-05-2015, 08:48 PM
Wonder if Jalen Hurts has a sister named V. Gina. Sorry, couldn't pass that up

Ifyouonlyknew
06-05-2015, 09:08 PM
I believe we'll get him back. I hope so

If we are he better get back in the boat soon. If he waits until late he won't have a spot.

defiantdog
06-05-2015, 09:24 PM
Saban's been playing golf..... He probably hasn't checked his messages *****

Pinto
06-05-2015, 10:26 PM
He committed about 20 mins ago
@Elite11: #Elite11 QB Jalen Hurts (@JalenHurts) from Channelview (Texas) has committed to the University of Alabama! #RollTide http://t.co/KAsWR7T5ei

Irondawg
06-05-2015, 10:39 PM
Yep that one stings a little. I really thought he would be our guy this class

hells bells
06-05-2015, 11:46 PM
I'm amazed at how desperate recruits are to make sure Bama keeps winning. They haven't produced a starting NFL QB in over 20+ years, so it certainly has nothing to do with getting to the NFL. It's something that kids turn down the best QB developer in the SEC just to help Bama win games.

What did Bama ever do for them for such loyalty?

Gun is dead on. Bammer QB's have been lack luster. QDM is a QB coach bar none. Two words, Chris Relf. I rest my case. Reason, he was physically a QB. Mullen's first Egg Bowl, Relf was a stud.

CadaverDawg
06-06-2015, 12:18 AM
In a way you could say Dan and his QB recruiting is somewhat comparable to Hevesy and his OL recruiting....They don't wow you with star rankings, they don't seem to land their top targets most years, yet they seem to always put a solid guy/group at the position they coach.

I've pretty much accepted that we will have above average QB and OL play with those guys coaching. May not win a Title, but we'll be Top third of the SEC at QB & OL most years with Dan and Hev...and I'll take that.

ShotgunDawg
06-06-2015, 07:41 AM
In a way you could say Dan and his QB recruiting is somewhat comparable to Hevesy and his OL recruiting....They don't wow you with star rankings, they don't seem to land their top targets most years, yet they seem to always put a solid guy/group at the position they coach.

I've pretty much accepted that we will have above average QB and OL play with those guys coaching. May not win a Title, but we'll be Top third of the SEC at QB & OL most years with Dan and Hev...and I'll take that.

Good post Cadaver. The loss of Hurts shouldn't effect our program at all because we are already stacked at QB. However, what stands out to me is how outdated and ignorant it is that kids feel like they have to go to Bama to be successful even if that means negatively effecting their overall development. It's just an outdated concept and one that may have made sense 10 years ago, but is Invalid now, yet keeps happening.

msstate7
06-06-2015, 07:50 AM
Good post Cadaver. The loss of Hurts shouldn't effect our program at all because we are already stacked at QB. However, what stands out to me is how outdated and ignorant it is that kids feel like they have to go to Bama to be successful even if that means negatively effecting their overall development. It's just an outdated concept and one that may have made sense 10 years ago, but is Invalid now, yet keeps happening.

I will say that kiffin did a dang good job with a rb playing qb last year. I think the kid could do worse than learning under kiffin. How long will kiffin be there though? I don't think he's there past this year. All that said... Mullen is better with qb's and hurts fits our system better, but if he doesn't wanna be then 17 em. Let's find someone who does

I seen it dawg
06-06-2015, 08:08 AM
It's the first of June....

Schultzy
06-06-2015, 08:10 AM
I wish I could live in Shotgun's universe of blissful ignorance. But losing out on a qb with our current situation there shouldn't be surprising.

Fitzgerald, Staley and Tiano have a hell of a lot of eligibility left and Mullen likes all three. Hell, Hurts may think the roster at bama is more conducive to early playing time than it is here.

msstate7
06-06-2015, 08:25 AM
It's the first of June....

No, it's the 6th of June and time to panic haha

GreenheadDawg
06-06-2015, 08:52 AM
No, it's the 6th of June and time to panic haha

Haha that was funny

maroonmania
06-06-2015, 09:24 AM
I will say that kiffin did a dang good job with a rb playing qb last year. I think the kid could do worse than learning under kiffin. How long will kiffin be there though? I don't think he's there past this year. All that said... Mullen is better with qb's and hurts fits our system better, but if he doesn't wanna be then 17 em. Let's find someone who does

If Hurts is going to Bama to play for Kiffin then he will likely be sorely disappointed. I will be surprised if he doesn't move on to either another college HC job or a pro job of some sort after this season.

msstate7
06-06-2015, 09:26 AM
If Hurts is going to Bama to play for Kiffin then he will likely be sorely disappointed. I will be surprised if he doesn't move on to either another college HC job or a pro job of some sort after this season.

I agree. Kiffin will be a HC soon

defiantdog
06-06-2015, 12:03 PM

Cooper didn't hurt in Sims' success

msstate7
06-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Cooper didn't hurt in Sims' success

You're right. Kiffin was smart enough though to design plays for sims to get the ball to cooper. I'm not a kiffin fan, but to say he didn't do a good job with sims is crazy

NCDawg
06-06-2015, 12:37 PM
It still irks me we let Sims pick up that 1st down on a 3rd & 10 when we let him go around our end. Should have coached our DE to hold his position in that situation. We still may not have won, but who knows?