PDA

View Full Version : Let's Discuss: Pros and Cons of selling alcohol inside DWS

TheRef
06-04-2015, 05:02 PM
So let's do a hypothetical here and assumed that the SEC allowed schools to sell alcohol in their stadiums. Then let's assume that MSU picks it up and does alcohol sales inside Davis Wade Stadium concessions. Hit me with the pros and cons.

Dawg61
06-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Pro: more money

Con: we'll lose our cowbells

Liverpooldawg
06-04-2015, 05:19 PM
The biggest con would be I think it is illegal in MS, no matter what the SEC says.

Billy Ray Valentine
06-04-2015, 05:31 PM
Pros: It's fun. Cons: Nothing comes to mind

BeardoMSU
06-04-2015, 05:46 PM
Cons: Nothing comes to mind

Um, yeah....there really isn't anything, unless you are living in a Leave it to Beaver episode. The fact that we still have dry counties in MS shows how behind the times our state is. It's sad really....

Boston
06-04-2015, 06:02 PM
Um, yeah....there really isn't anything, unless you are living in a Leave it to Beaver episode. The fact that we still have dry counties in MS shows how behind the times our state is. It's sad really....

Try living in Calhoun county were only one small town in the center of the county is wet (liquor).

BeardoMSU
06-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Try living in Calhoun county were only one small town in the center of the county is wet (liquor).

Umm, yeah....

http://media.giphy.com/media/vkwAeqMEUSaoU/giphy.gif

Bothrops
06-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Would definitely lose our bells. Not worth it.

LC Dawg
06-04-2015, 06:37 PM
I think you should be required to provide free bloody marys for 11:00 games.

Coach34
06-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Would definitely lose our bells. Not worth it.

I disagree. People all over bring their own in anyway after slamming drinks at the tailgate because they dont sell anything at the game. We didnt have any problems in the End Zone where people have lockers full of alcohol.

The only people that get hit with bells are dumbasses like Ole Missus Frat Boy in 95 that get in the wrong people's face talking shit.

Dawg61
06-04-2015, 07:55 PM
I disagree. People all over bring their own in anyway after slamming drinks at the tailgate because they dont sell anything at the game. We didnt have any problems in the End Zone where people have lockers full of alcohol.

They are only people that get hit with bells are dumbasses like Ole Missus Frat Boy in 95 that get in the wrong people's face talking shit.

Law don't give a **** about our tradition. It only takes one incident and any capable lawyer will sue the University and the bells will be lost. It's not a debate. It will happen.

Billy Ray Valentine
06-04-2015, 07:56 PM

They are only people that get hit with bells are dumbasses like Ole Missus Frat Boy in 95 that get in the wrong people's face talking shit.
And when you tailgate all day and don't carry anything into the game, hangover sets in about halftime, and that sux

mparkerfd20
06-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Pros: It's alcohol.
Cons: It's not free.

Coach34
06-04-2015, 08:10 PM
Law don't give a **** about our tradition. It only takes one incident and any capable lawyer will sue the University and the bells will be lost. It's not a debate. It will happen.

a lawyer could sue the University over the bells regardless- the alcohol really isnt an issue. The issue is the bells being in the stadium. The fact that there is alcohol all over campus already at tailgates and the University doesnt police it negates your argument.

Dawgcentral
06-04-2015, 08:30 PM
Any person could decide to wear steel toed boots into the stadium also, and proceed to kick someone to death. I think it's a stretch to be concerned over a drunk wielding a cowbell. Selling a drink certainly doesn't condone a beat down or a killing.

Dawg61
06-04-2015, 08:33 PM
a lawyer could sue the University over the bells regardless- the alcohol really isnt an issue. The issue is the bells being in the stadium. The fact that there is alcohol all over campus already at tailgates and the University doesnt police it negates your argument.

This stance is just dumb dude. Any lawyer can prove the bells are a dangerous weapon. It's not worth risking our bells over it. Some moron will ruin BOTH alcohol AND our bells. By not allowing alcohol INSIDE the stadium we are then protecting having BOTH for tailgating and games. Anyone can sneak in alcohol. It isn't difficult so why even risk it? Cause some of yall are lazy and want to spend way too much on beer? **** that I ain't letting yall take my ****ing cowbell from me!! Sneak it in like everyone has been doing FOREVER!

Coach34
06-04-2015, 08:49 PM
This stance is just dumb dude. Any lawyer can prove the bells are a dangerous weapon. It's not worth risking our bells over it. Some moron will ruin BOTH alcohol AND our bells. By not allowing alcohol INSIDE the stadium we are then protecting having BOTH for tailgating and games. Anyone can sneak in alcohol. It isn't difficult so why even risk it? Cause some of yall are lazy and want to spend way too much on beer? **** that I ain't letting yall take my ****ing cowbell from me!! Sneak it in like everyone has been doing FOREVER!

What dont you understand? We already allow alcohol inside the stadium. I visit a locker full of it every game I attend.

Secondly, I agree with you- any lawyer can prove the bells are a dangerous weapon. What you dont seem to understand is that they dont need alcohol to prove that. Any lawyer can already throw in all the drinking done at the tailgates and the lack of control over it. It doesnt matter if alcohol is sold at the stadium or not- it's already there

FlabLoser
06-04-2015, 10:08 PM
Booze is sold on state property at the MS Fairgrounds. Booze is officially allowed, but not sold, on campus on Gameday.

I think the state of MS wouldn't have issues selling beer on campus.

Meanwhile the rebels are losing the party as the grove is patrolled for contraband and they make people pour stuff out. Whatevs.

BeardoMSU
06-04-2015, 10:10 PM

Hey. Hey....Just because you don't like to take a drink, don't ram your beliefs down our throats, Eliot Ness!!!!****

Mjoelner34
06-04-2015, 10:54 PM
....... Booze is officially allowed, but not sold, on campus on Gameday.

Found this from a 2013 reflector article:
MSU’s campus police follow state laws for regulating alcohol possession. Kenneth Rogers, campus police Lieutenant, said determining which parts of campus are in Starkville — where beer is legal — is complex.

“It’s a little tricky. Not all of Fraternity Row is in city limits, only portions of it,” he said.

Rogers said that as long as a person is 21-years-old, possession of liquor is legal on campus, whereas beer is only legal in the areas of campus that fall within Starkville city limits.

I knew that a few years ago they said that the campus would abide by the city and county laws but I thought Haley repealed that law and said no alcohol on campus after that drunk Ole Miss student dragged the campus cop to death. I just figured after that, football gameday was kind of like the Left Field Lounge which is "Don't show your ass, don't get in trouble."

BossDawg
06-04-2015, 11:22 PM

I can't believe it got that far. I guess Big Creek still won't lose any business.

TUSK
06-05-2015, 12:15 AM
Hey. Hey....Just because you don't like to take a drink, don't ram your beliefs down our throats, Eliot Ness!!!!****

NICE. Beard +1

just be "good enough"... until you "upset the apple cart"...

and if one can do that long enough/better, you can get away with anything.

ScrotieMcBoogerBalls
06-05-2015, 08:21 AM
The ability to buy beer in the stadium would keep me from having to smuggle in scotch = a less drunk me. I'm all for it. It'd be nice to remember the end of a game for a change.

Jack Lambert
06-05-2015, 08:35 AM

The only people that get hit with bells are dumbasses like Ole Missus Frat Boy in 95 that get in the wrong people's face talking shit.

Where we sit I am reall scared my son is going to drop his cowbell on someones head.

willi13
06-05-2015, 08:39 AM
Where we sit I am reall scared my son is going to drop his cowbell on someones head.

quit letting him get drunk!

Jack Lambert
06-05-2015, 08:52 AM
quit letting him get drunk!

He's eleven. What can I say? Boy wants to get drunk, I let him. He has to grow up sooner or later. I might buy him a hooker when he is 13.

Coach34
06-05-2015, 09:08 AM
I might buy him a hooker when he is 13.

as a good Dad should

Gen. Grant
06-05-2015, 09:40 AM
Has any one said how much money the University could stand to make from this? It would be a fortune! I say do it and just let the blue hairs bitch. The money will outweigh any cons.

Vinsanity
06-06-2015, 02:51 PM
One possible con could be that students may get the urge to toss their beer in the air during a big play.

drunkernhelldawg
06-06-2015, 06:43 PM
I think it's too imitative of professional sports. I, a drinker who is basically opposed to any alcohol law, do not think it's a good idea for DWS. It also makes the stadium less family friendly.

Smitty
06-06-2015, 06:46 PM
One possible con could be that students may get the urge to toss their beer in the air during a big play.

Leading to more sales for replacements. Incentives to run up the score as well.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
06-07-2015, 08:50 PM
The ability to buy beer in the stadium would keep me from having to smuggle in scotch = a less drunk me. I'm all for it. It'd be nice to remember the end of a game for a change.

I blacked out & left the stadium during the 4th quarter of the 2013 Egg Bowl & had to ask who won the next day. I will never forgive myself.

Billy Ray Valentine
06-07-2015, 08:56 PM

Love that username bro

sandwolf
06-07-2015, 11:33 PM
I am no lawyer but I just don't buy the idea that we can't have both cowbells and alcohol. I mean can't you buy one of those little wooden souvenir bats at pro baseball stadiums? Because those things could easily be used as a weapon. Hell, restaurants/bars serve alcohol in glass bottles.....people turn those bottles into weapons pretty regularly and I have never heard of the establishment being sued for providing the "weapon." Every establishment that serves alcohol is full of things that could be used as a weapon, even though they weren't intended to be used as a weapon. So I just don't see how MSU could be held liable for someone using a cowbell as a weapon, when that is not its intended use.

Coach34
06-08-2015, 09:01 AM
Exactly Sandwolf

Anything progressive at Miss State is always met with complaining and fright.

starkvegasdawg
06-08-2015, 09:41 AM
He's eleven. What can I say? Boy wants to get drunk, I let him. He has to grow up sooner or later. I might buy him a hooker when he is 13.

Take him to the Pony when he's 12 to give him something to look forward to.

5 Star
06-08-2015, 09:50 AM
That is nothing. No liquor anywhere in Attala County. Have to drive to Durant, West or Vaiden and you better be packing if you go at night. Kosciusko is voting to change this within the city limits tomorrow though, I think.

notoriousdog
06-08-2015, 09:54 AM
They started selling beer at West Virginia football games 3 years ago and not only did it double their concession revenue but they also reported lower alcohol citations.

Concession sales totaled $613,651 in the 2010-11 season and $744,082 this season, said athletics spokesman Mike Fragale. Add in beer sales, and the total for this past season was $1.26 million.

In pitching a change to the school's alcohol policy last year, Athletic Director Oliver Luck estimated WVU could make as much as $1.2 million a season in beer sales alone, depending on weather, attendance and team performance. This past season, it made nearly $520,000.

Woody, who gathered data from stadium staff and from WVU and city police, also said the number of calls, arrests and charges filed on game days was down across the board. That included underage drinking and open container violations.

LC Dawg
06-08-2015, 10:09 AM
They started selling beer at West Virginia football games 3 years ago and not only did it double their concession revenue but they also reported lower alcohol citations.

They were probably all shocked that you could buy alcohol instead on making your own.

ScrotieMcBoogerBalls
06-08-2015, 10:25 AM
Love that username bro

Thanks.I'm glad you approve***

Johnson85
06-08-2015, 03:54 PM
Has any one said how much money the University could stand to make from this? It would be a fortune! I say do it and just let the blue hairs bitch. The money will outweigh any cons.

I don't think it would raise as much revenue as you think. Schools are pretty good at maximizing the revenue they can squeeze from their fans. There will be some people that will simply still sneak it in, or if you stop them, the amount they are willing to pay for season tickets will be impacted. That's because they basically have an all in price they are willing to pay to go watch SEC football and drink. Replace a pint of fifth of liquor with $7 beers, and many are not just going to accept that the price of attending for the season just went up $300. You also have people paying premium prices in part to have lockers so that they can drink hassle free. The value of those premium seats goes down some if they have the option of just going to the concession stand (or goes down a lot if you try to force them to buy liquor from the stadium vendor at inflated prices). Or I guess more likely you just won't be able to raise the prices as quickly.

There will still be lots of money to be made, and the two effects I mentioned may be negligible. But I think you'd see it.

Johnson85
06-08-2015, 04:02 PM

Yeah, this isn't really coherent. You have to have a theory of liability for the university. Most of the theories that are arguably non-frivelous do not rely on alcohol. If we sale alcohol in the stadium, a person could sue the university and argue that the combination of serving people that were already heavily intoxicated and allowing cowbells in the stadium essentially contributed to the injury. But right now they could argue that by not barring visibly intoxicated people, not having enough security, and/or not taking appropriate steps to prevent alcohol from being smuggled in combined with allowing cowbells is enough to establish liability. These are all pretty thin, and even if they weren't, the way to address most of these issues is not to ban the cowbell but to address the alcohol part of the equation.

You can always sue for nuisance money, but I'm not sure nuisance suits would cause the university to ban cowbells. If you named the SEC, that might motivate them to ban it, but you don't really need alcohol sales to do that. You just have to find a lawyer willing to ignore ethical considerations (which is unfortunately not very hard to do).

Aces High
06-09-2015, 12:54 PM
Yeah, this isn't really coherent. You have to have a theory of liability for the university. Most of the theories that are arguably non-frivelous do not rely on alcohol. If we sale alcohol in the stadium, a person could sue the university and argue that the combination of serving people that were already heavily intoxicated and allowing cowbells in the stadium essentially contributed to the injury. But right now they could argue that by not barring visibly intoxicated people, not having enough security, and/or not taking appropriate steps to prevent alcohol from being smuggled in combined with allowing cowbells is enough to establish liability. These are all pretty thin, and even if they weren't, the way to address most of these issues is not to ban the cowbell but to address the alcohol part of the equation.

You can always sue for nuisance money, but I'm not sure nuisance suits would cause the university to ban cowbells. If you named the SEC, that might motivate them to ban it, but you don't really need alcohol sales to do that. You just have to find a lawyer willing to ignore ethical considerations (which is unfortunately not very hard to do).

He has drawn a line in the sand, even though the entire board disagrees. You can explain it to him but you cant learn it for him. He is going down with that ship come hell or highwater. It is OK to admit youre wrong sometimes. Makes you a man.

Dawg61
06-09-2015, 01:21 PM
He has drawn a line in the sand, even though the entire board disagrees. You can explain it to him but you cant learn it for him. He is going down with that ship come hell or highwater. It is OK to admit youre wrong sometimes. Makes you a man.

MSU can't sell alcohol to a person holding a cowbell who then uses the cowbell as a weapon. Sorry you don't see the final outcome but I'm not sorry you don't get to drink your overpriced beer and continuously walk in and out of the aisles to get your overpriced beer. Stay in your seat and watch the game. We will have mass exodus of students and younger fans leaving early when the alcohol sales get cut off after the 3rd quarter too. I am failing to see the positives besides minimal monetary gains for a limited time. Want to really see money increased then allow MSU to sell alcohol OUTSIDE the stadium before and after the games. Put a beer stand in the junction and you'll really see big money being raised. This I am all for just not for selling it INSIDE the stadium during games.

FlabLoser
06-09-2015, 01:26 PM
MSU can't sell alcohol to a person holding a cowbell who then uses the cowbell as a weapon. Sorry you don't see the final outcome but I'm not sorry you don't get to drink your overpriced beer and continuously walk in and out of the aisles to get your overpriced beer. Stay in your seat and watch the game. We will have mass exodus of students and younger fans leaving early when the alcohol sales get cut off after the 3rd quarter too. I am failing to see the positives besides minimal monetary gains for a limited time. Want to really see money increased then allow MSU to sell alcohol OUTSIDE the stadium before and after the games. Put a beer stand in the junction and you'll really see big money being raised. This I am all for just not for selling it INSIDE the stadium during games.

What is it about other alcohol-selling football stadiums that makes your fears not come true?

Dawg61
06-09-2015, 01:34 PM
What is it about other alcohol-selling football stadiums that makes your fears not come true?

Cowbells

Dawg61
06-09-2015, 01:38 PM
You guys don't understand that every other SEC fanbase is just itching for any reason possible to get the cowbells banned permanently. Having an opponent's fan getting beat to shit by a drunk MSU fan wielding a cowbell will result in us losing our bells. Have conversations with other fans and see how much they like our cowbells.

shannondawg
06-09-2015, 04:49 PM
I assumed he was talking about just drinking and ringing and getting the SEC office down on us.

If fans were gonna be slinging cowbells at each other, there are plenty of well oiled folks in the stands as it is and you don't see it.

FlabLoser
06-09-2015, 05:05 PM
I assumed he was talking about just drinking and ringing and getting the SEC office down on us.

If fans were gonna be slinging cowbells at each other, there are plenty of well oiled folks in the stands as it is and you don't see it.

No way there are any dunk people inside DWS. Ever.

Dawg61 may have a point. Intoxicated people inside DWS could be a problem. In fact, there are probably DV cases in people's homes where one person beat another with a cowbell that was laying in the house. Those things should be locked up.

BeardoMSU
06-09-2015, 05:11 PM
He's got a point: I've been trying really hard to get my ass kicked by a drunk LSU fan hoping that they'd then have to ban all the drunk LSU fans***

sandwolf
06-09-2015, 05:50 PM
You guys don't understand that every other SEC fanbase is just itching for any reason possible to get the cowbells banned permanently. Having an opponent's fan getting beat to shit by a drunk MSU fan wielding a cowbell will result in us losing our bells. Have conversations with other fans and see how much they like our cowbells.

Wait, is it going to be a slam dunk lawsuit that any lawyer could win or the conference that is going to take them away? Because as I said in my previous post, I just don't buy that this results in a sure fire lawsuit. And the SEC doesn't have to justify their decision in court, so they could ban the cowbells today based on the fact that they could be used as a weapon and alcohol is everywhere on game day.....and they could use that same logic to ban forks.

But I don't buy the idea that the conference is looking for any excuse they can find to ban the cowbells. At the 2009 Egg Bowl, an MSU student had some OM friends sitting with him in the student section......after the game, some shit talking escalated into a fight and the MSU student got hit in the head with a cowbell. The student that got hit turned around and hired 2 attorneys out of Oxford and in 2011, he filed a lawsuit.....not against MSU, but against the SEC and Mike Slive for refusing to enforce the ban on cowbells (LINK (http://www.starkvilledailynews.com/node/3203)).

So in 2009, a cowbell is used as a weapon in a fight in a situation that undoubtedly included plenty of alcohol. Then in 2010, the SEC decides to allow the cowbells on a 1 year trial basis. In 2011, a lawsuit is filed against Mike Slive and the SEC based on the idea that this student wouldn't have been hurt with a cowbell if the cowbell ban had been enforced. Then in 2011, the conference decided to continue to allow the cowbells, and we have been using them ever since.

Based on all of that, I don't think that the cowbells are nearly the controversial topic that you are trying to make them out to be. And I still have yet to see an argument that leads me to believe that selling alcohol would lead to them being banned.

Dawg61
06-09-2015, 05:58 PM
No way there are any dunk people inside DWS. Ever.

Dawg61 may have a point. Intoxicated people inside DWS could be a problem. In fact, there are probably DV cases in people's homes where one person beat another with a cowbell that was laying in the house. Those things should be locked up.

Of course there's drunk people right now which MSU isn't liable for but as soon as MSU serves alcohol to that person they become liable in the eyes of the law. Think of it like this. MSU is the bartender and when the bartender serves alcohol to an underage person or a person already intoxicated MSU then becomes person of liability. When that drunk person uses a cowbell that any capable lawyer can prove can be used as a dangerous weapon inside a stadium MSU knowingly and encourages fans to bring in cowbells MSU ALSO becomes liable for that. So now you have MSU the liable bartender providing alcohol to a person holding a dangerous weapon that MSU encourages to bring with them. That's a lawyer's wet dream of a case.

FlabLoser
06-09-2015, 06:33 PM
Just like all those bars that get sued for serving booze while doing nothing to prevent weapons from being brought in.

Dawg61
06-09-2015, 08:33 PM
Just like all those bars that get sued for serving booze while doing nothing to prevent weapons from being brought in.

Actually bars get sued all the time and that's just for serving alcohol.

shannondawg
06-10-2015, 07:47 AM
What it boils down to is lawyers, lets ban them and open the taps.

Use to be, the question was; am I going to get my ass kicked for doing that, now its am I going to be sued?

Dawgcentral
06-10-2015, 06:18 PM
Any incident caused by drunken fans wielding a cowbell is covered by general liability insurance. And those would be ISOLATED incidents.

No one is going to make a national fuss about a cowbell in combination with alcohol. Your liability coverage makes an offer of settlement and the thing goes away. I watched a boxer from USM put a beat down on a drunk with a cowbell at Mississippi Memorial Stadium back in the early 80's. You woulda felt sorry for the guy wearing maroon if you had seen it. He never had a chance.