PDA

View Full Version : Just listened to Howland interview on OOB

messageboardsuperhero
06-04-2015, 12:54 PM
I really believe we're going to be a tourney team next year. We have the roster and now finally the coach. Go give it a listen if you haven't already. http://www.thezone1059.com/page.php?page_id=131

maroonmania
06-04-2015, 12:59 PM
Good interview. I wasn't aware that Sword had to have back surgery again and that Daniels just recently had sports hernia surgery.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Yea Chicken had surgery not long after Howland was hired. We didn't want to take any chances on his back acting up so we went ahead & got the surgery done so he'd have plenty of time to recover instead of rushing back like last year. He also said Travis played all last year with a bad groin & they wanted to get that taken care of. Coach Howland really likes Travis & think he can be a big part of this team next year.

Goat from MSU
06-04-2015, 01:51 PM
I believe we are going to see a well coached team this upcoming season. This will prove what I said all along Ray was brought in to clean up this mess but he could not coach worth a shit.
Yea Chicken had surgery not long after Howland was hired. We didn't want to take any chances on his back acting up so we went ahead & got the surgery done so he'd have plenty of time to recover instead of rushing back like last year. He also said Travis played all last year with a bad groin & they wanted to get that taken care of. Coach Howland really likes Travis & think he can be a big part of this team next year.

Dawg61
06-04-2015, 04:08 PM

Daniels is a good athlete and he has a nice looking stroke but he needs to overcome his propensity to disappear in games and I think he has poor hands. Not sure how you get better hands? I guess ball-handling drills and strengthening them but it could just be a lack of focus. Whatever it was he often fumbled the ball when passed to. This wasn't just Daniels either it was an epidemic during Rayball up and down the squad. Very poor dribbling, passing and shooting teams. Basically a lack of basic basketball skills. This next year we will be shocked to watch these same players under Howland. It won't even look like the same team.

maroonmania
06-04-2015, 04:15 PM
Daniels is a good athlete and he has a nice looking stroke but he needs to overcome his propensity to disappear in games and I think he has poor hands. Not sure how you get better hands? I guess ball-handling drills and strengthening them but it could just be a lack of focus. Whatever it was he often fumbled the ball when passed to. This wasn't just Daniels either it was an epidemic during Rayball up and down the squad. Very poor dribbling, passing and shooting teams. Basically a lack of basic basketball skills. This next year we will be shocked to watch these same players under Howland. It won't even look like the same team.

Daniels has a pretty nice skill set, his biggest problem IMO is that he's just a passive person. I'm not sure how you put some fire under him to get him to play like he REALLY wants to win.

Dawg61
06-04-2015, 04:29 PM
Daniels has a pretty nice skill set, his biggest problem IMO is that he's just a passive person. I'm not sure how you put some fire under him to get him to play like he REALLY wants to win.

Bobby Knight knows

NSFW

http://youtu.be/uMVmhI1SUq0

messageboardsuperhero
06-04-2015, 04:32 PM

There were a few that had this problem under Ray. I'm almost hoping Malik Newman takes on a vocal leader type of role and chews some butt out in practice to light a fire under them. We need someone on this team with an aggressive attitude to rub off on everyone else.

MSUDawg99
06-04-2015, 04:44 PM
Reminder that the season opener is Nov. 13th which is actually a DH for men's & women's teams & then also the same wknd of Bama fb game. Can't wait to get the Hump packed out!

Liverpooldawg
06-04-2015, 05:27 PM
I think I'll wait and see. If we are that would have to rank as one of the most dramatic turnarounds ever.

ScottH
06-04-2015, 06:26 PM
I caught myself getting lost in the Howland / Adidas recruiting hoopla.

Then I realized in addition to our new found recruiting prowess, we will now head into, dare I say, every game having the superior floor coach.

Let that sink in then watch your personal wool spout as you think about it.

Brad Stevens
06-05-2015, 11:02 AM

I actually think Daniels is one of the more skilled returning players (not including incoming freshmen) on the team, if he is played at his most potent position - the stretch 4. Above average shooter, passer, ball handler for the 4 position. As someone else said, it will be motivating him that will be the challenge. If he can play with a competitive fire, I think he can have a solid year. I believe that even more, considering Howland said he had hernia surgery and battled injury all last year.

MSUDawg99
06-05-2015, 02:30 PM
Did yall see the vid on Malik from the CL? It's pretty good. I enjoyed it. http://www.clarionledger.com/story/mississippistatesports/2015/06/05/beyond-the-game-s2-finale/28534789/

MadDawg
06-05-2015, 03:12 PM
I don't think Howland came in with the idea he has 4-5 years to put something on the floor that doesn't resemble a steaming pile of manure.

I caught myself getting lost in the Howland / Adidas recruiting hoopla.

Then I realized in addition to our new found recruiting prowess, we will now head into, dare I say, every game having the superior floor coach.

Let that sink in then watch your personal wool spout as you think about it.

MSUDawg4Life
06-05-2015, 03:47 PM
I don't think Howland came in with the idea he has 4-5 years to put something on the floor that doesn't resemble a steaming pile of manure.

Howland can come in and immediately start to build because he doesn't have to deal with a dumpster fire. He doesn't have to tear down and clean up before he starts to build. That's been done for him.

We can disrespect the job some coaches did, but the fact remains a solid foundation was in place when both Howland and Mullen got here.

MadDawg
06-05-2015, 04:16 PM
Howland can come in and immediately start to build because he doesn't have to deal with a dumpster fire. He doesn't have to tear down and clean up before he starts to build. That's been done for him.

We can disrespect the job some coaches did, but the fact remains a solid foundation was in place when both Howland and Mullen got here.

Yeah. That and Howland can actually recruit.

MSUDawg4Life
06-05-2015, 04:30 PM
Yeah. That and Howland can actually recruit.

True. He can recruit. Has more experience. Better connections in the business. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do.

Just don't act like he walked into a post-Renardo Sidney mess. Because he didn't.