PDA

View Full Version : How in the freaking Hell did Green Day get in the HOF already?

Coach34
06-03-2015, 08:45 PM
Sitting here watching the 2015 Rock-n-Roll HOF induction on HBO and I'm pissed Green Day is being inducted.

I like Green Day- they have a few great songs. They are solid. Maybe in 2025- they would be perfect inductees. But to be inducted this year in 2015???? Holy shit- thats a stretch. They are my age. They arent HOF worthy yet

Dallas_Dawg
06-03-2015, 08:54 PM
Somebody give us a list of bad ass bands that aren't in the hall of fame. The R and R HOF is a joke

Dawgpile
06-03-2015, 08:57 PM
I disagree... They've been around for almost 30 years and first charted over 20 years ago. Multiple Grammys, Billboards, People's Choice, MTV, etc...

They're a great and infulential band. Totally worthy of the HOF.

drunkernhelldawg
06-03-2015, 08:59 PM
I feel they deserve it. They are super influential. Their music is fresh, original and compelling. They expanded their reach to the theater in a powerful way.

HSVDawg
06-03-2015, 09:03 PM
I thought the rule was you couldn't be inducted until 25 years after your first album was released. Could have sworn Dookie didn't come out until 94 or 95. I agree that it seems a little early for their induction.

Coach34
06-03-2015, 09:03 PM
I disagree... They've been around for almost 30 years and first charted over 20 years ago. Multiple Grammys, Billboards, People's Choice, MTV, etc...

They're a great and infulential band. Totally worthy of the HOF.

I'm not saying they arent good enough- I'm just saying its too damn early

LC Dawg
06-03-2015, 09:08 PM
I thought the rule was you couldn't be inducted until 25 years after your first album was released. Could have sworn Dookie didn't come out until 94 or 95. I agree that it seems a little early for their induction.

Dookie's not their first album it's just the first one that anyone's heard of. I think they had been around a few years before Dookie.

drunkernhelldawg
06-03-2015, 09:09 PM
39/Smooth released on April 30, 1990. Hit the 25 almost exactly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/39/Smooth

Dawgpile
06-03-2015, 09:10 PM
I've never understood the reasoning behind some of the choices the RRHOF makes... Miles Davis? When did he make a rock album? And Rush didn't make it in until last year and Dire Straits isn't in yet? Herb Alpert is in?

Green Day may seem too early, but they're more deserving that some that are in.

drunkernhelldawg
06-03-2015, 09:14 PM
I've never understood the reasoning behind some of the choices the RRHOF makes... Miles Davis? When did he make a rock album? And Rush didn't make it in until last year and Dire Straits isn't in yet? Herb Alpert is in?

Green Day may seem too early, but they're more deserving that some that are in.

Dire Straits not being is is an absolute travesty. Must be some personality or political issues there.

Coach34
06-03-2015, 09:17 PM
It just feels to me like the NFL putting Drew Brees in the HOF this year. He's getting in- it just needs to be in 8-9 years from now

Coach34
06-03-2015, 09:17 PM
Dire Straits not being is is an absolute travesty. Must be some personality or political issues there.

agree 100%

LC Dawg
06-03-2015, 09:19 PM
People that were playing college football while I was in college are in the pro football hall of fame and bands I listened to in college are now in the Rock and Roll hall of fame. I guess the just means I'm old.
As far as bands that are left out Motorhead is the epitome of rock and roll and they aren't in.

Dawgpile
06-03-2015, 09:34 PM
Motorhead, The Cars, Deep Purple, and even Boston aren't in. There are plenty of great bands who haven't gotten a sniff... Journey, Jethro Tull, Squeeze... But we do have Donna Summer, Leonard Cohen, and Cat Stevens. They rock!

thedawginme
06-03-2015, 09:44 PM
Sitting here watching the 2015 Rock-n-Roll HOF induction on HBO and I'm pissed Green Day is being inducted.

I like Green Day- they have a few great songs. They are solid. Maybe in 2025- they would be perfect inductees. But to be inducted this year in 2015???? Holy shit- thats a stretch. They are my age. They arent HOF worthy yet

It's hard for me, a guy your age, to realize how long ago 1990 was. Crazy.

Howboutdemdogs
06-03-2015, 10:04 PM
We are getting older, middle age is a bitch.

Dawgpile
06-03-2015, 10:13 PM
We are getting older, middle age is a bitch.

THIS

Natedogg33
06-03-2015, 10:14 PM
The Motor City Madman isn't in either. Nor will he be. Politics and all.

drummerdawg
06-03-2015, 10:36 PM
Congrats Green Day, very well deserved. Dookie (among their other albums) had a huge influence on me. If anybody deserves getting in as quickly as they did its them imo. They paid their dues in a very tough business and deserve whatever they get. But I can see how you might feel the way you do. I just actually prefer all artists and bands to be honored earlier than later before they get too old and start dying out.

Bothrops
06-03-2015, 10:41 PM
Never been a Green Day fan. They aren't horrible, but their sound is extremely generic and boring. If I had to vote for a rock band that plays all power chords, it'd be Helmet.

TrapGame
06-03-2015, 10:42 PM
It took several years for Black Sabbath to get in after they made the initial nomination list. That told me the HoF is a joke.

Bothrops
06-03-2015, 10:44 PM
Motorhead, The Cars, Deep Purple, and even Boston aren't in. There are plenty of great bands who haven't gotten a sniff... Journey, Jethro Tull, Squeeze... But we do have Donna Summer, Leonard Cohen, and Cat Stevens. They rock!

The Cars were good. Motorhead is awesome. 100 times better than Green Day.

Coach34
06-03-2015, 10:54 PM
To me- Motley Crue not being in it is a travesty. They are one of the top selling groups of all-time. They have some absolutely great songs. Longevity also plays a part- ask the Baseball HOF. They basically were the catalysts to "glam-rock" in the 80's...

Who in the hell doesnt start singing Home Sweet Home when it comes on? I can still sing Wildside word for word. Strip Clubs are contractually obligated to play Girls, Girls, Girls...

Motley Crue is getting hosed

Bothrops
06-03-2015, 11:00 PM
To me- Motley Crue not being in it is a travesty. They are one of the top selling groups of all-time. They have some absolutely great songs. Longevity also plays a part- ask the Baseball HOF. They basically were the catalysts to "glam-rock" in the 80's...

Who in the hell doesnt start singing Home Sweet Home when it comes on? I can still sing Wildside word for word. Strip Clubs are contractually obligated to play Girls, Girls, Girls...

Motley Crue is getting hosed

Did not know they weren't in. That's bs. My first Crue album was Theater of Pain.

Coach34
06-03-2015, 11:17 PM
Did not know they weren't in. That's bs. My first Crue album was Theater of Pain.

I Seen It loves Kickstart as one of the best beginnings to a song...and it is good....but I have to go with Wildside as mine. Girls, Girls, Girls is another really good one....when you hear those songs starting- it just hits ya

Bothrops
06-03-2015, 11:42 PM
I Seen It loves Kickstart as one of the best beginnings to a song...and it is good....but I have to go with Wildside as mine. Girls, Girls, Girls is another really good one....when you hear those songs starting- it just hits ya

Yep Wildside, Dancing on Glass, Looks that Kill and She Goes Down are great tracks.

TUSK
06-04-2015, 02:20 AM

I completely agree... Green Day is worthy, but I'm not certain they should get in this early.

Note: Joan Jett WILL be my next EX wife!

MabenMaroon
06-04-2015, 06:49 AM
Touring in their 35th year together and releasing new material this year ... for the life of me, please explain how Pat Benatar is not in the HOF ... I have no argument against any of the previous inductees for the most part, but seriously her husband Neil Giraldo is an excellent guitarist, song writer, producer and has played tracks on many #1 hits for others as well as being Pat's guitarist, primary song writer and band producer, he should be in on his own merits. Love Joan Jett and what she has contributed, but personally would have put Pat Benatar in well ahead of her.

Coach34
06-04-2015, 07:04 AM
I disagree. Joan Jett should have been in 10 years ago.

bulldogcountry1
06-04-2015, 07:55 AM
The HOF is a joke. Every year, they induct people I've never even heard of. I thought the whole point of a hall of FAME was to honor those who were accomplished and well-known in their field. I'm sure the panel consists of a bunch of "experts" that think it's cool to like people that aren't mainstream.

DawgInMemphis
06-04-2015, 08:35 AM
Never been a Green Day fan. They aren't horrible, but their sound is extremely generic and boring. If I had to vote for a rock band that plays all power chords, it'd be Helmet.

AC/DC.

maroonmania
06-04-2015, 08:45 AM

Its a shame Boston is not in. They really have one of the more unique sounds in all of classic rock. Of course that's mostly due to the group being led by an MIT engineer.

Saltydog
06-04-2015, 08:49 AM
which whether you like them or not, had to wait years before they ever got in. It's a farce. Deep Purple, Boston and Journey should definitely be in it. If you ever listen to Eddie Trunk, he harps and criticizes the RnR HoF more than Polk did the NCAA, and for good reason.

jumbo
06-04-2015, 09:23 AM
pre-American Idiot Green Day is great. After that, meh.

dickiedawg
06-04-2015, 09:51 AM
This thread belongs on the BS board.

I'm fully aware that it's the dead summer days and there's nothing going on with MSU sports.

tcdog70
06-04-2015, 10:48 AM
Bowie, George Thorogood, The Zombies and Johnny Rivers are not in--I call Bullshit. if you can't find their records in the Rock section they should not be in the R&R Hall Of Fame.

Bothrops
06-04-2015, 11:07 AM
AC/DC.

Band of Green Day's era is what I meant. AC/DC is more traditional hard rock.

drunkernhelldawg
06-04-2015, 01:05 PM
This thread belongs on the BS board.

I'm fully aware that it's the dead summer days and there's nothing going on with MSU sports.

Lighten up. It's not like it's gotten in the way of anything else. This great discussion would not have happened on the BS board.

sleepy dawg
06-04-2015, 01:12 PM
The question is not how did Green Day get in, but rather why is anyone still discussing the Rock and Roll HoF as if what they say matters worth a f*ck?

R&R HoF is a joke and everyone knows it. Just like when Rolling Stone listed Layla in their worst solos of all time.... if you are still paying attention to what they're doing, it's now time to stop.

drunkernhelldawg
06-04-2015, 01:26 PM
A lot should be in who aren't, but I can't argue with the 2015 selections. Green Day is a seminal band for its era. Others play awesome music, but what people are missing is that Green Day occupies an extraordinary station of significance. Some others that aren't in deserve it on the same basis: Bowie and Motley Crue leap to mind, but that doesn't change the fact that Green Day deserves that special status.