PDA

View Full Version : Good stuff from MSU

MabenMaroon
06-03-2015, 10:32 AM
https://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/2015/06/03/msu-investing-in-students-with-sec-revenue-boost/

Nice to see the benefits of being in the SEC and the SEC Network working for the school as a whole.

Dawg Corps
06-03-2015, 11:01 AM
Beyond the new costs and positions, MSU is actually doing something fairly unique in big-time athletics. For the first time ever in the 2015-16 fiscal year, MSU?s athletic department will not receive any money from the tuition and fees of the school?s students.

In the past, all MSU students had fees in their tuition going toward free and reduced price tickets for athletic events and the university would send that money to athletics to use as they saw fit. In recent years, that number was as high as $4 million annually, though it steadily dropped and hit a low of $2.5 million in the 2014-15 fiscal year.

Starting this year, athletics will forgo receiving any institutional funds, allowing that money to go straight back to the academic side. Not taking any money from general student tuition is a rarity in college athletics.

It's amazing that the university is able to do this. I love sports, especially MSU sports, but I think the enormous amount of tuition payed by students should be used for academic purposes rather than athletic ones. Does anyone know if any of the other SEC schools are doing this?

Outside Dawg
06-03-2015, 11:17 AM
This is a couple of years old, and I assume that the new tv network money will make this list grow.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2013/05/07/ncaa-finances-subsidies/2142443/

MSUDawg99
06-03-2015, 01:07 PM
It's amazing that the university is able to do this. I love sports, especially MSU sports, but I think the enormous amount of tuition payed by students should be used for academic purposes rather than athletic ones. Does anyone know if any of the other SEC schools are doing this?

I'd be very curious to know that myself. And I'm also a huge proponent of Dave Ramsey's class. I'm one of those nerds. Glad to know that they'll be getting financial teaching/guidance. I wasn't taught that myself until I married someone who had zero concept of money/budgeting, etc. Thankfully, I divorced him. But on the positive side I learned to manage money properly.

archdog
06-03-2015, 01:11 PM

Yeah it should be used for academics. That should be the rule nationally. Athletics can raise their own money. Ticket prices shouldn't be subsidized by cost in tuition, anywhere.

scottycameron
06-03-2015, 03:15 PM
I'd be very curious to know that myself. And I'm also a huge proponent of Dave Ramsey's class. I'm one of those nerds. Glad to know that they'll be getting financial teaching/guidance. I wasn't taught that myself until I married someone who had zero concept of money/budgeting, etc. Thankfully, I divorced him. But on the positive side I learned to manage money properly.

Him?

bluelightstar
06-03-2015, 04:46 PM
Yeah it should be used for academics. That should be the rule nationally. Athletics can raise their own money. Ticket prices shouldn't be subsidized by cost in tuition, anywhere.

I read a story about this once about 2010 or 2011. Every school in the conference except 3 or 4 had "student activity fees" charged as part of student tuition that then went to the Athletic Department. The flip side of that is that it's why students often have such good deals on tickets. I don't think Alabama's student activity fee goes to the AD, and season student tickets are about 6x more expensive than at State.

MSUDawg99
06-03-2015, 04:57 PM
Him?

Yes. I am a she. He is a him. Ha.

Jack Lambert
06-03-2015, 05:08 PM
We should never have another season ticket increase.

BulldogBear
06-03-2015, 06:07 PM
We should never have another season ticket increase.

This^

Much more and I'll likely have to start downsizing, then crappy seats, then downsize again, etc.

Ralph
06-03-2015, 08:28 PM
That ain't gonna happen. Why would a business spend revenue from one department to decrease the incoming revenue from another department. From an emotional standpoint we all want education to be less expensive, but colleges are supposed to generate revenue in exchange for an education. They're businesses not charities. While some may spill over to the academic side it won't amount to much in the big picture. Just my opinion. Not saying it shouldn't, just doubtful it will happen to a noticeable degree.