PDA

View Full Version : D.D Bowie

GreenheadDawg
06-02-2015, 11:59 AM
Just saw that he committed to bama.. Suppose to be the top ranked kid in MS for 2017.. What's the word on this guy?

Ifyouonlyknew
06-02-2015, 12:05 PM
I hope he sticks with Bama but I smell Benito Jones Part 2 situation. He just doesn't have any interest in MSU. We'll stay on him & maybe things will change but I wouldn't hold my breath.

ShotgunDawg
06-02-2015, 12:35 PM
I hope he sticks with Bama but I smell Benito Jones Part 2 situation. He just doesn't have any interest in MSU. We'll stay on him & maybe things will change but I wouldn't hold my breath.

How/why does this keep happening?

msstate7
06-02-2015, 12:37 PM

It happens. There are kids OM doesn't have a shot at too

Ifyouonlyknew
06-02-2015, 12:49 PM

Which part? Kids committing to Bama or kids being advised on committing somewhere only to flip later?

ShotgunDawg
06-02-2015, 12:51 PM
Which part? Kids committing to Bama or kids being advised on committing somewhere only to flip later?

Both I guess. I'm tired of Mississippi kids looking at Bama. We have two great football school in state. If we lose AJ Brown to Bama, I'll throw up

Ifyouonlyknew
06-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Both I guess. I'm tired of Mississippi kids looking at Bama. We have two great football school in state. If we lose AJ Brown to Bama, I'll throw up

Bama is Bama. We have 2 good programs instate. Bama is a great program & it's not like they're having to travel 8 hours to go to Bama it's the next state over. Saying all that we don't lose many kids instate to Bama or anyone else anymore. There will always be a couple of kids go OOS but nothing like it used to be.

mic
06-02-2015, 12:53 PM

We will do VERY well with the top players in the state for 2017....

justwin
06-02-2015, 01:57 PM

to me, seems obvious based on how two highly rated guys from the same HSs weren't used or misused by Mullen.

is he from Morton? If so, how can you blame a kid who has seen the fate that Quay Evans career took. Quay graduated early and never played here. I still don't understand how that happened. Oh, he has a bad attitude,...right like most young kids don't. The #1 DT in the country who got in tremendous shape at one point while at MSU wasn't good enough to play for MSU?

Then there's the whole Tyler Russell debacle and why the recent Meridian kids who haven't gone to MSU b/c of how poorly Mullen used Tyler Russell. Before we get into the argument of "square peg, round hole", how about we realize that Tyler Russell, the most decorated MS HS QB in forever coming off ending a 70 game South Panola streak, didn't play as a true freshman much less the fact that Mullen never gave him any help using one of the several big RBs on the roster. You can't tell me that Tyler Russell playing his true Freshman year wasn't a better option than Tyson Lee.

for all the good that Mullen's done, he botched those two above which may still be having lingering effects.

Todd4State
06-02-2015, 02:02 PM
to me, seems obvious based on how two highly rated guys from the same HSs weren't used or misused by Mullen.

is he from Morton? If so, how can you blame a kid who has seen the fate that Quay Evans career took. Quay graduated early and never played here. I still don't understand how that happened. Oh, he has a bad attitude,...right like most young kids don't. The #1 DT in the country who got in tremendous shape at one point while at MSU wasn't good enough to play for MSU?

Then there's the whole Tyler Russell debacle and why the recent Meridian kids who haven't gone to MSU b/c of how poorly Mullen used Tyler Russell. Before we get into the argument of "square peg, round hole", how about we realize that Tyler Russell, the most decorated MS HS QB in forever coming off ending a 70 game South Panola streak, didn't play as a true freshman much less the fact that Mullen never gave him any help using one of the several big RBs on the roster. You can't tell me that Tyler Russell playing his true Freshman year wasn't a better option than Tyson Lee.

for all the good that Mullen's done, he botched those two above which may still be having lingering effects.

WTF? Yes, Quay didn't work out- but look at Tavese Calhoun. Who is also from Morton.

I don't see how anyone can talk about how Tyler was used poorly when he broke some school records for us. You do realize that we have a commitment from Meridian right now and an excellent chance to flip one of their players don't you? Meridian has basically been a split school that past 10-15 years when it comes to State and Ole Miss football recruiting.

Todd4State
06-02-2015, 02:04 PM

Bowie is an Ole Miss fan that works out with Shay Hodge who is also from Morton. We lead for his teammate Freddie Hartz who will be a really good prospect though- and most of the players in the 2017 class for that matter.

sandwolf
06-02-2015, 02:12 PM
If so, how can you blame a kid who has seen the fate that Quay Evans career took. Quay graduated early and never played here. I still don't understand how that happened. Oh, he has a bad attitude,...right like most young kids don't. The #1 DT in the country who got in tremendous shape at one point while at MSU wasn't good enough to play for MSU?

So it is Mullen's fault that Quay couldn't get his act together? That is completely ridiculous. The only person to blame for Quay never amounting to anything is Quay.....Mullen has shown that he will be patient with players (Nick James), so Quay clearly wasn't handling his shit.

Oh, and the way that Quay's career played out doesn't seem to be a problem for Freddie Hartz.

sandwolf
06-02-2015, 02:14 PM
WTF? Yes, Quay didn't work out- but look at Tavese Calhoun. Who is also from Morton.

I don't see how anyone can talk about how Tyler was used poorly when he broke some school records for us. You do realize that we have a commitment from Meridian right now and an excellent chance to flip one of their players don't you? Meridian has basically been a split school that past 10-15 years when it comes to State and Ole Miss football recruiting.

'WTF?' pretty much sums it up. That was such a stupid post on so many levels.

BankerDog
06-02-2015, 02:21 PM

You mean the same Quay Evans who couldn't get qualified for a D1AA school? Yes. The same Quay that never participated in one spring practice at Morton? The same Quay that caused his own downfall that is not on Mullen or anyone. Quay chose to do what Quay is doing now. He had many opportunities to right the ship, but failed to do so. It's a shame because all he had to do was stay clean for three years and he would be a millionaire, but instead he is where he is at now.

You bring up Tyler Russell but Chris Relf ran this system better than Russell. And Dak did better than Relf. I thank Russell for what he did, but Mullen's offense is better for the Relf's/Prescott's of the world.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-02-2015, 02:24 PM

Not sure if serious. We have a kid from Morton right now who is about to be a 3yr starter. There is also a kid from Morton in the same 2017 class that we lead for & will most likely land with offers from 4 or 5 SEC schools already (Freddie Hartz). We also have a kid from Meridian already committed this year (Zaire Jones) with a very good chance at landing another (Raekwon Davis). So both of your points are full of false & irrational statements. I don't know if these are your thoughts or someone fed you these lies to be you should really take them back & ask for a refund.

Really Clark?
06-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Wow! Justwin you need to come back to reality a good bit and visit us here on planet earth. Like others said considering you have Calhoun from the same class and same school as Quay you have missed the target big time with that drivel. Same with Meridian kids since we have a Meridian player committed right now. Those kids will always have a Bama pull though. It's the same distance for them to go there.

Bothrops
06-02-2015, 02:27 PM
I wish Saban's ship would sink. I'm sick of looking at the bastard. Sorry, Tusk.

shoeless joe
06-02-2015, 02:29 PM

Do you understand how college athletics work?

LC Dawg
06-02-2015, 02:47 PM
The Quay Evans story should make us all appreciate what we have in Mullen. While looking at a top rated DT he saw promise in a low rated db and that low rated db is now a long time starter for us.
As far as Tyler Russell goes I think that was a no win situation for Mullen. I would say that he knew that Tyler was not a good fit for his offense but he knew he was going to have to work hard to build relationships with Mississippi high school coaches and pulling a scholarship from the #1 player in the state would not have been a good way to start. Also, our situation with Meridian seems about like it has been for a while.

justwin
06-02-2015, 03:04 PM

Buddy, Taveze wasn't highly recruited and is the epitome of what Mullen can do right. Do you realistically think we got the most out of Tyler Russell? The bar was pretty low to break records as a MSU QB.

I'm just telling you how the local community can sway a kid with the message.

justwin
06-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Not sure if serious. We have a kid from Morton right now who is about to be a 3yr starter. There is also a kid from Morton in the same 2017 class that we lead for & will most likely land with offers from 4 or 5 SEC schools already (Freddie Hartz). We also have a kid from Meridian already committed this year (Zaire Jones) with a very good chance at landing another (Raekwon Davis). So both of your points are full of false & irrational statements. I don't know if these are your thoughts or someone fed you these lies to be you should really take them back & ask for a refund.

Taveze wasn't highly recruited so your point is moot. We were his only offer. Of the Meridian guys who signed D1 since Tyler, how many have gone to MSU....less than half? How is that false?

Do you realistically think we got the most out of Tyler Russell regardless of how he fit Mullen's system?

smootness
06-02-2015, 03:09 PM

Holy crap, this is one of the worst posts I've ever seen on a message board.

justwin
06-02-2015, 03:09 PM
Wow! Justwin you need to come back to reality a good bit and visit us here on planet earth. Like others said considering you have Calhoun from the same class and same school as Quay you have missed the target big time with that drivel. Same with Meridian kids since we have a Meridian player committed right now. Those kids will always have a Bama pull though. It's the same distance for them to go there.

Buddy, this recent kid committed to Bama. Taveze never had a Bama offer much less any other offers and we signed him last hour. The question from shotgun is how do we lose guys to Bama? How is that drivel?

Yes, we have a meridian kid committed, but 2 other committed to OM and Tyler's own cousin who signed with OM last year. Think for a moment before being emotional.

justwin
06-02-2015, 03:12 PM
The Quay Evans story should make us all appreciate what we have in Mullen. While looking at a top rated DT he saw promise in a low rated db and that low rated db is now a long time starter for us.
As far as Tyler Russell goes I think that was a no win situation for Mullen. I would say that he knew that Tyler was not a good fit for his offense but he knew he was going to have to work hard to build relationships with Mississippi high school coaches and pulling a scholarship from the #1 player in the state would not have been a good way to start. Also, our situation with Meridian seems about like it has been for a while.

Had Tyler Russell played/contributed as a freshman, do you think we finish with 5 wins or get another to get to 6 and be bowl eligible? Simple question. How many plays would he have made that Tyson couldn't? Tyson would've played early, but eventually turned it over to the Relf/Russell show. It was a mistake not to play Tyler as a freshman to get to 6 wins.

Really Clark?
06-02-2015, 03:18 PM
Buddy, this recent kid committed to Bama. Taveze never had a Bama offer much less any other offers and we signed him last hour. The question from shotgun is how do we lose guys to Bama? How is that drivel?

Yes, we have a meridian kid committed, but 2 other committed to OM and Tyler's own cousin who signed with OM last year. Think for a moment before being emotional.

Yes it was drivel. Being a highly rated recruit was not even brought up but the fact you tried to use Quay, who is the only person you can blame for not being a football player not Mullen, was absurd as you forgot that we have another player from Morton on our team right now and succeeding. Players see Calhoun starting and playing well period. How many stars or offers he had is irrelevant.

Meridian has always had splits. It is a big MSU and Bama fan town but each one has picked up players from each. And since Tyler has still been involved with the program and coaches I don't think he sees it the same way as you do.

justwin
06-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Holy crap, this is one of the worst posts I've ever seen on a message board.

quit being emotional. first, isolate these two situations from all of the other good that Mullen has done.

Do you realistically think we got the most out of Tyler's talent regardless of scheme? Did you enjoy watching a true drop back passer who could make any throw not have the luxury to hand the ball to a legitimate big RB? Yeah, Tyler didn't have near the WRs that Dak has, but it would've been nice had Mullen devised a way to run the ball other than with Perkins. Before you respond, please don't tell us how Perkins gained 1K that one year vs the worse teams.

justwin
06-02-2015, 03:25 PM
Yes it was drivel. Being a highly rated recruit was not even brought up but the fact you tried to use Quay, who is the only person you can blame for not being a football player not Mullen, was absurd as you forgot that we have another player from Morton on our team right now and succeeding. Players see Calhoun starting and playing well period. How many stars or offers he had is irrelevant.

Meridian has always had splits. It is a big MSU and Bama fan town but each one has picked up players from each. And since Tyler has still been involved with the program and coaches I don't think he sees it the same way as you do.

does the OP say the top rated kid from MS for 2017 going to Bama? Wasn't Quay one of the top guys in MS the year he graduated like this Bowie kid? I don't remember Taveze being highly rated.

Again, Mullen's done a lot of good, but he's not perfect.

Again, Taveze never had a Bama offer. No question, he's been terrific, but if Bowie is #1 player in MS for his class, you don't think a ton of people are in his ear giving him misinformation?

justwin
06-02-2015, 03:29 PM

Also, I think Raekwon is currently committed to Bama as well.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-02-2015, 03:31 PM
Taveze wasn't highly recruited so your point is moot. We were his only offer. Of the Meridian guys who signed D1 since Tyler, how many have gone to MSU....less than half? How is that false?

Do you realistically think we got the most out of Tyler Russell regardless of how he fit Mullen's system?

I still don't get how Taveze only having 1 major offer fits into your original point. Besides that Morton has 2 SEC caliber players in 2017 we'll get 1 so how is Quay hurting us there? Now on to Meridian since Tyler left they've had 1 SEC caliber kid (CJ Hampton) up until this year. This year they have 4 & I feel pretty good about getting 2. Now I'm not sure if you're familiar with Meridian recruiting but you're talking like we got whoever we wanted in Meridian before Tyler & Chris Smith came to MSU & that's just false. Can you name me the last 2 Meridian kids who came to MSU before Tyler & Chris? Finally obviously you think we didn't use Tyler well so whatever I say that doesn't match you will think is an excuse but maybe Tyler was what he was.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Also, I think Raekwon is currently committed to Bama as well.

Yes Raekwon is committed to Bama just like Leo just like Benito & like Bowie. Again I think we have a good chance to SIGN 2 kids from Meridian (Zaire & Raekwon).

Todd4State
06-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Buddy, Taveze wasn't highly recruited and is the epitome of what Mullen can do right. Do you realistically think we got the most out of Tyler Russell? The bar was pretty low to break records as a MSU QB.

I'm just telling you how the local community can sway a kid with the message.

Well you need to tell the "local community" there about Tavese and how he turned out under Dan. Because otherwise it doesn't make any sense for the "local community" to bash Dan for Quay and NOT give Dan credit for Calhoun. It should offset at worse- and even that really shouldn't be the case since Quay is his undoing.

And yes, I do think we got the most out of Tyler Russell. I don't care how low the bar was- if you break records, you're pretty damn good. And no, we should not have burned Tyler's redshirt. We would have mortgaged our future and there isn't any guarantee that we would have finished better in the wins department. Especially with a true freshman QB.

You can criticize maybe how the team was built in Tyler's a little bit because it had like two o-linemen in it and no WR's over 6'0" tall- but that's more on Croom than it is Dan IMO. But you can't sit here and seriously say that we messed him up- Tyler gets a shot as a free agent if he doesn't get hurt, which is something that we haven't had a QB have happen since I think Don Smith- maybe Todd Jordan except the Colts invited him as a punter which I don't count.

justwin
06-02-2015, 03:34 PM

Yeah, I see your point about Tyler and a "no-win", but I just don't see how you don't play Tyler Russell at all knowing you have Tyson Lee and you don't know what you have in Relf other than some weed issues.

Flashback to first year...you have a fanbase excited for a change with a new coach and the best QB in MS in forever coming in and you don't play him? Would he have made mistakes, sure, but how do you not play him? However, I have to believe that he would've done better than Lee. Not knocking Lee...super kid...team player, but getting 6 wins that first year would've been huge and getting something out of Tyler would've helped.

Really Clark?
06-02-2015, 03:38 PM
does the OP say the top rated kid from MS for 2017 going to Bama? Wasn't Quay one of the top guys in MS the year he graduated like this Bowie kid? I don't remember Taveze being highly rated.

Again, Mullen's done a lot of good, but he's not perfect.

Again, Taveze never had a Bama offer. No question, he's been terrific, but if Bowie is #1 player in MS for his class, you don't think a ton of people are in his ear giving him misinformation?

No. Most kids see what a kid from their school have done and applaud them. It doesn't matter to them what Calhoun was rated or how many offers he had. Players know players and know who dont have the heart. That was Quay's problem, no heart for football. Didn't have a thing to do with Mullen, Turner or anyone else. You tried to assert otherwise and that was the biggest drivel you typed.

justwin
06-02-2015, 03:41 PM
Well you need to tell the "local community" there about Tavese and how he turned out under Dan. Because otherwise it doesn't make any sense for the "local community" to bash Dan for Quay and NOT give Dan credit for Calhoun. It should offset at worse- and even that really shouldn't be the case since Quay is his undoing.

And yes, I do think we got the most out of Tyler Russell. I don't care how low the bar was- if you break records, you're pretty damn good. And no, we should not have burned Tyler's redshirt. We would have mortgaged our future and there isn't any guarantee that we would have finished better in the wins department. Especially with a true freshman QB.

You can criticize maybe how the team was built in Tyler's a little bit because it had like two o-linemen in it and no WR's over 6'0" tall- but that's more on Croom than it is Dan IMO. But you can't sit here and seriously say that we messed him up- Tyler gets a shot as a free agent if he doesn't get hurt, which is something that we haven't had a QB have happen since I think Don Smith- maybe Todd Jordan except the Colts invited him as a punter which I don't count.

the local community reacts differently with highly rated kids. Everyone's in their ear. I suspect no one was in Taveze's ear.

Agree, Tyler was pretty dam good. Would've been even better had Mullen used J-Rob, Griffin, or Ballard with him more.

I disagree on mortgaging our future over not doing all you can now to win now. As a QB guru, you don't think Mullen wasn't going to significantly upgrade our QB depth in time? 20/20 is what it is, but had Tyler played that year like he should've, then you have Dak going into his 3rd year as a starter this year...how is that mortgaging our future?

Was the talent less with Tyler than now with Dak? certainly. no one will argue that. The issue is that we had capable big RBs that could've helped Tyler on the team then, but Mullen didn't play them. Look at J-Rob. Started one year and he's in the NFL. J-Rob should've played more with Tyler.

justwin
06-02-2015, 03:45 PM
No. Most kids see what a kid from their school have done and applaud them. It doesn't matter to them what Calhoun was rated or how many offers he had. Players know players and know who dont have the heart. That was Quay's problem, no heart for football. Didn't have a thing to do with Mullen, Turner or anyone else. You tried to assert otherwise and that was the biggest drivel you typed.

your continual argument about Taveze has nothing to do with this post.

I get it. You're grasping.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-02-2015, 03:46 PM
So your real issue isn't about recruiting it was just a gateway to get into how Tyler wasn't used properly. You could've just saved a lot of time & effort & said that in the beginning.

sandwolf
06-02-2015, 03:54 PM

Haha, irony at its finest.

Coach34
06-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Had Tyler Russell played/contributed as a freshman, do you think we finish with 5 wins or get another to get to 6 and be bowl eligible? Simple question. How many plays would he have made that Tyson couldn't? Tyson would've played early, but eventually turned it over to the Relf/Russell show. It was a mistake not to play Tyler as a freshman to get to 6 wins.

I think we win less that year playing Russell. Our WR's were awful and Russell was no run threat- making the zone read that year much less effective. Russell just wasnt that good. Has any NFL even signed him to bring him in for OTA's? I know he tried out a few times at pro days

Coach34
06-02-2015, 04:12 PM
Mullen signed Russell because we needed a QB- period. Mullen got the job and all we had was Lee and Relf. Mullen had to have any QB he could find to get into that class and on campus.

LC Dawg
06-02-2015, 04:17 PM

Or Tyler could have really struggled as a freshman, got pounded on a lot more than he did in high school, lost his confidence and never contributed much after that. Then we would have people saying how Mullen ruined one of the best qb's in Mississippi high school history.
I think Tyler got ample opportunities to play at State. He did ok. He may have done better at another school. He may have done better in another offense. We never will know. I do know that he got a quality education at Mississippi State and he will probably be successful in life.
I don't think high school kids in Meridian are basing their choice of college on Tyler Russell's career.

Really Clark?
06-02-2015, 04:22 PM
your continual argument about Taveze has nothing to do with this post.

I'm grasping?!? Delusional and I am just one of several who have brought up you forgot Calhoun. Then you tried to make it as he doesn't count because he didn't have the offers. And you have glossed over the Quay issue twice now. You asserted that it was Mullen's fault he is no longer here. That is absurd.

Coach34
06-02-2015, 04:31 PM
If Justwin is correct then we dont have to worry about Brookhaven guys going to Bammer because Saban messed up Jimmy Johns and let him deal coke.

smootness
06-02-2015, 04:36 PM
quit being emotional. first, isolate these two situations from all of the other good that Mullen has done.

Do you realistically think we got the most out of Tyler's talent regardless of scheme? Did you enjoy watching a true drop back passer who could make any throw not have the luxury to hand the ball to a legitimate big RB? Yeah, Tyler didn't have near the WRs that Dak has, but it would've been nice had Mullen devised a way to run the ball other than with Perkins. Before you respond, please don't tell us how Perkins gained 1K that one year vs the worse teams.

So every player that comes through that doesn't fully realize all of his potential, for whatever reason, will lead us to losing all recruits from that player's school or town?

Good grief, your overall point is ridiculous. You're trying to argue that Mullen poisoned the well in Morton and Meridian because of Quay Evans and....Tyler Russell??

justwin
06-02-2015, 04:38 PM
So your real issue isn't about recruiting it was just a gateway to get into how Tyler wasn't used properly. You could've just saved a lot of time & effort & said that in the beginning.

let's keep this simple.

the perception in Meridian is that the most highly rated guy coming out of Meridian in the last decade wasn't used properly at MSU or signed by Mullen out of consequence, etc etc. that's the recruiting message/misinformation being funneled to current meridian players to sway them from MSU.

Get it?

messageboardsuperhero
06-02-2015, 04:43 PM
I don't really understand why anyone would say Russell had a bad career here or is looked at as a reason not to come to State. He was a two year starter when healthy and had a nice career here, leaving as arguably the most decorated passer in school history (not that that was saying a lot at the time, but still...).

justwin
06-02-2015, 04:43 PM
I think we win less that year playing Russell. Our WR's were awful and Russell was no run threat- making the zone read that year much less effective. Russell just wasnt that good. Has any NFL even signed him to bring him in for OTA's? I know he tried out a few times at pro days

here we go again.

yeah, our WRs were awful that year, but our passing by Lee was worse. There were throws Lee couldn't make that Russell could. Those incremental throws could've beaten Houston or an LSU team that overlooked us.

Boobie was all of the run threat we needed that year.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-02-2015, 04:44 PM
let's keep this simple.

the perception in Meridian is that the most highly rated guy coming out of Meridian in the last decade wasn't used properly at MSU or signed by Mullen out of consequence, etc etc. that's the recruiting message/misinformation being funneled to current meridian players to sway them from MSU.

Get it?

I get it but I don't agree. We have a Meridian kid committed & actually 2 until a couple weeks ago & also there's a good chance we end up with another I don't think their strategy is working. Again seem like your biggest beef is how we used or didn't use Tyler correctly not a problem with recruiting but hey do you.

justwin
06-02-2015, 05:03 PM
So every player that comes through that doesn't fully realize all of his potential, for whatever reason, will lead us to losing all recruits from that player's school or town?

Good grief, your overall point is ridiculous. You're trying to argue that Mullen poisoned the well in Morton and Meridian because of Quay Evans and....Tyler Russell??

not every player. but it's an easy message for someone to sell/misinform to the next highly recruited guy from that area whose being pulled in multiple directions by schools.

do you realistically think we got the most out of Tyler's talent despite the scheme? He had a very good career. I bet if you asked people in Meridian why he didn't at least get a shot at the NFL, they'd tell you MSU didn't use him properly. Is that the truth, maybe, maybe not...but that's what local can sell to the next highly rated guy from meridian.

justwin
06-02-2015, 05:08 PM
If Justwin is correct then we dont have to worry about Brookhaven guys going to Bammer because Saban messed up Jimmy Johns and let him deal coke.

not really. it's easier to convince kids to NOT go to MSU than NOT to go to Bama. Bama has a history of getting highly recruited guys onto the NFL.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2015, 05:08 PM
Justwin = the Smitty of football

Coach34
06-02-2015, 05:14 PM
here we go again.

yeah, our WRs were awful that year, but our passing by Lee was worse. There were throws Lee couldn't make that Russell could. Those incremental throws could've beaten Houston or an LSU team that overlooked us.

Boobie was all of the run threat we needed that year.

And the interceptions and other mistakes he wouldve made could have made the score even worse. It would have been harder to run the ball that year for Boobie with Russell at QB- just like it was for Perkins with Russell

justwin
06-02-2015, 05:14 PM
I get it but I don't agree. We have a Meridian kid committed & actually 2 until a couple weeks ago & also there's a good chance we end up with another I don't think their strategy is working. Again seem like your biggest beef is how we used or didn't use Tyler correctly not a problem with recruiting but hey do you.

Yes, I would've liked to have seen Tyler Russell been paired more with one of our bigger RBs. Shoot me for that, but I guess I'm totally wrong for thinking that.

I know that we have a Meridian kid committed to MSU. has that kid been offered by Bama? I honestly don't know. If he hasn't been offered by Bama, then I don't see how someone could sway him from MSU if that's his only offer. The original question is how are we losing kids to Bama.

justwin
06-02-2015, 05:15 PM
And the interceptions and other mistakes he wouldve made could have made the score even worse. It would have been harder to run the ball that year for Boobie with Russell at QB- just like it was for Perkins with Russell

I guess that's one way to think about it.

Coach34
06-02-2015, 05:18 PM
Yes, I would've liked to have seen Tyler Russell been paired more with one of our bigger RBs. Shoot me for that, but I guess I'm totally wrong for thinking that.

It's not so much about a bigger RB as it is the fact that Russell was no threat to run- so when he was handing it to Perk- the defense hard-flowed to him. They didnt have to respect the QB keep.

justwin
06-02-2015, 05:18 PM
Justwin = the Smitty of football

easy tiger. I've answered every one of your questions with civility.

I'll do everyone a favor and bow out.

justwin
06-02-2015, 05:24 PM
b
It's not so much about a bigger RB as it is the fact that Russell was no threat to run- so when he was handing it to Perk- the defense hard-flowed to him. They didnt have to respect the QB keep.

this goes back to my original point about not going this same series of debate on "square peg, round hole". Dood, for the millioneth time, Tyler was not a running qb in any shape or form. My original point was using Tyler abilities the best and surrounding him to succeed. If that's the qb MUllen had, that's what you go with.

What about when he handed it off to J-Rob 2nd half of Ark that year? how did that look to you? How did it look when he handed it off to vick the years prior? How did that look? Please don't compare Perk to either of those two bigger backs. apples vs oranges. J-Rob had the same talent his first two years that he had this year. We just didn't see it used.

Just b/c you don't like Tyler or a passing qb doesn't mean he wouldn't have been successful paired with a bigger RB that we had on a roster. In 2012, Tyler would come in and Vick would come out. never understood that.

SheltonChoked
06-02-2015, 05:31 PM
Tyler's problem at MSU had nothing to do with they system. Tyler is a, by Big time college football standards, a slow decision maker. That's why he struggled. He has the arm. And the heart. But not the clock. He threw to guys that were open. He didn't throw guys open. I don't know how you can put that on Mullen. But I do think that is why we got rid of les. And got Brian.

HSVDawg
06-02-2015, 06:29 PM

You must not remember much about the 2009 season. Tyson Lee was no All American, but offense was hardly our problem that year. We had no problems scoring points against anyone except the elite teams (Bama, Florida). The issue with that team was the defense was ****ing terrible under Torbush for the majority of the season. Even after redshirting a year, Russell still wasn't even at Tyson Lee's senior year level in 2010, as was evidenced by the Auburn and LSU games where he was a turnover machine.

smootness
06-02-2015, 09:03 PM
not every player. but it's an easy message for someone to sell/misinform to the next highly recruited guy from that area whose being pulled in multiple directions by schools.

do you realistically think we got the most out of Tyler's talent despite the scheme? He had a very good career. I bet if you asked people in Meridian why he didn't at least get a shot at the NFL, they'd tell you MSU didn't use him properly. Is that the truth, maybe, maybe not...but that's what local can sell to the next highly rated guy from meridian.

Ok, so people who are already dead set against State can manipulate anything into a reason to convince a kid not to come? So if it wasn't Russell, they'd use something else. Who cares? It obviously isn't working all that well.

As ifyouonlyknew said, it appears that your main beef is with the fact that we misused Russell. If you feel that way, that's fine, but blowing it up into some issue that is killing our recruiting in Meridian is ridiculous.

Jacksondevildog
06-02-2015, 09:31 PM
I'm wondering if justwin is a former Meridian player's dad. Too close to the situation to be objective. (no offense).

confucius say
06-02-2015, 09:36 PM
All of my family is from Morton. I know for a fact the most prominent booster there told dan he was wasting his time with quay and needed to look at taveze. Fortunately, dan listened. Nobody in Morton holds dan responsible for quay's situation. We all knew quay would never make it. Good hearted kid, but the maturity of my five year old. I was shocked he made it as long as he did honestly.

pilldawg
06-02-2015, 10:38 PM
All of my family is from Morton. I know for a fact the most prominent booster there told dan he was wasting his time with quay and needed to look at taveze. Fortunately, dan listened. Nobody in Morton holds dan responsible for quay's situation. We all knew quay would never make it. Good hearted kid, but the maturity of my five year old. I was shocked he made it as long as he did honestly.

It says a lot that he is not being offered by any Division I schools. He is only being offered Division II and he hasn't seemed to be able to make that happen. I think I will trust Dan on that one.

Dawg61
06-03-2015, 12:16 AM

This is the best post in this thread. If the player we are recruiting knows anything about football he would of been watching Russell himself and realized he was overrated. Russell's play spoke for itself. He was a statue once the ball snapped. How often does that work? Name me one very good QB that stands perfectly still for 5 seconds before throwing it? That's what Tyler did and he also got hurt frequently. Can't blame Mullen for Russell. He gave Russell more rope than he deserved already.

Oh and this guy doesn't sign until two more entire football seasons have finished. Quit freaking out about bullshit football recruiting. It really reveals the freak outs on this board. You think some of y'all would learn from recruiting and what just happened with Howland and Newman. Different sport but the point stands. Recruiting can completely flip with any player at any time based on other circumstances. Say we win a Natty or Saban drives a Petrino motorcycle. Things change. It's two years away. Quit freaking on stupid shit and trolling the board into full fledge meltdowns.

MabenMaroon
06-03-2015, 08:03 AM
This is the best post in this thread. If the player we are recruiting knows anything about football he would of been watching Russell himself and realized he was overrated. Russell's play spoke for itself. He was a statue once the ball snapped. How often does that work? Name me one very good QB that stands perfectly still for 5 seconds before throwing it? That's what Tyler did and he also got hurt frequently. Can't blame Mullen for Russell. He gave Russell more rope than he deserved already.

Oh and this guy doesn't sign until two more entire football seasons have finished. Quit freaking out about bullshit football recruiting. It really reveals the freak outs on this board. You think some of y'all would learn from recruiting and what just happened with Howland and Newman. Different sport but the point stands. Recruiting can completely flip with any player at any time based on other circumstances. Say we win a Natty or Saban drives a Petrino motorcycle. Things change. It's two years away. Quit freaking on stupid shit and trolling the board into full fledge meltdowns.

THIS EXACTLY^^^^^

When Feb 2017 rolls around I strongly suspect there will be an improved perspective and mindset in regards to MSU and Coach Mullen. Winning the SEC West, playing in the CFP, having an AA qb sitting in NYC at the Downtown Athletic Club for the Heisman trophy presentation ( with another one sitting in the wings waiting with as much or more talent and promise ) and the other school in the state's football program spiraling downward will have a dramatic effect on the recruiting landscape. A lot is going to happen with the MSU football program between now and the Feb 2017 signing date.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-03-2015, 08:47 AM
Just saw that he committed to bama.. Suppose to be the top ranked kid in MS for 2017.. What's the word on this guy?

I think his father is Lamond Bowie who played at Morton and was high school teammates at Morton with Deuce McAllister. They were quite the dynamic duo at EC basketball camp in 1996. Deuce jumped over my friend and dunked on him. I figured on him be a lean to OM.

BulldogBear
06-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Guess that's why I didn't recognize the name. Admittedly I don't follow recruiting too closely until the 11th (maybe 10th) hour, but this is one if the reasons why.

I exaggerate with this statement but let UMiss and the Gumps think it means something when a 7th grader commits and let them freak about the whims of high school freshman.

EnterpriseDawg
06-03-2015, 11:20 AM
In talking with a co-worker who is close with Tyler, he said that Tyler threw for the Bangles and with the CFL. Neither went great and that he was in Starkville atm. I asked if Tyler ever mentioned anything negative about the way things worked out. He said Tyler doesn't think like that, but he believed Tyler would have been better off in a system that was more suited for his style of play. I asked if his career at State could have had a effect on the way the Meridian kids are choosing to go elsewhere. He said that he was never really close to the school. He went down to intern at his former high school, but didn't like it because the kids wouldn't listen. I know his family has no loyalty to the school because they pulled his younger brother out and moved to West Lauderdale to play football (which was for playing time).
He said that Tyler went to pro day and that he has yet to give up on his dream of playing at the next level. He thinks that he may eventually get into coaching if it doesn't pan out. Tried to get more, but felt like I asked too much. His credibility is legit, he has gotten Tyler to sign things for my kids, he has many pictures of himself with Tyler and his family and he has texted back and forth with him with me standing there.

Coach34
06-03-2015, 12:03 PM
Good post and has been said by me and others- Tyler was a solid college QB- but nothing special. His clock is slow and it would have been slow no matter what offense he ran

EnterpriseDawg
06-03-2015, 01:07 PM
Good post and has been said by me and others- Tyler was a solid college QB- but nothing special. His clock is slow and it would have been slow no matter what offense he ran

Yeah, I think we all knew deep down he wasn't going to make it at the next level. Just with a kid as good as he is, wish he would have been given a shot and drafted. I think he's one of those people that will land on his feet no matter what he decides to do.

maroonmania
06-03-2015, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I see your point about Tyler and a "no-win", but I just don't see how you don't play Tyler Russell at all knowing you have Tyson Lee and you don't know what you have in Relf other than some weed issues.

Flashback to first year...you have a fanbase excited for a change with a new coach and the best QB in MS in forever coming in and you don't play him? Would he have made mistakes, sure, but how do you not play him? However, I have to believe that he would've done better than Lee. Not knocking Lee...super kid...team player, but getting 6 wins that first year would've been huge and getting something out of Tyler would've helped.

Tyler started for 3 years, how much more were we suppose to get out of him even if he had played his true freshman year? Tyler was a pretty good college QB but he wouldn't have been an All-American type no matter what system he played in. Tyler is true MSU and I'm glad he played for us and he had all the physical tools but he was just way too slow in going through his progressions in the pocket and was not very accurate past about 25-30 yards. To act like he would have been all-world if he had been "used properly" is just not accurate.