PDA

View Full Version : Stadiums

berr6728
06-01-2015, 01:48 PM
I have watched over weekend the regional games on espn bases loaded and especially the stadiums that they were played in. Our posters on this site keep saying that a new 40,000,000 stadium is our answer to winning baseball games and getting to CWS. Of the on campus stadiums I saw only LSU-ARK-TA&M- had better or equal stadium facilities than our DNF. It behoves me as to see the Floridas-Florida States-Miamis-TCUs-Vanderbilts-Louisvilles-Illionis-Oklahoma States-Fullertons, are consistently in a region every year or hosting regions with their poorer facilities and stadiums than MSU. According to our posters they should not be having these types of successes. Our fans and posters here say it takes a $40,000,000 stadium to attract good baseball players. We were on the same level with these teams in 2012 and 2013 but somewhere we lost our way. Athletes go to programs because of coaches and tradition not because of stadiums(I agree it helps, but only small percentage). Our problem at MSU is coaching. We have attracted better than average talent but can't hold the consistency of getting region bids each year or on verge of getting one each year. I could be wrong but I think that some 39 teams in regions this year were in region last year. We are putting the cart before the horse in building a new stadium. Your program should be at the forefront and the stadium will take care of itself once your program is consistently successful. Hiring a top notch coach is the most important part of the equation. We had a tremendous oppertunity in 2009 to do just that but our AD blew it. We could have had Dan McDonald who was my choice to replace Polk2. I listed my 5 choices for our coach and Cohen was not on my radar because of him showing his a$$ at DNF while he was at Kentucky. I publicly put out my 5 choices. Dan-Tim Corbin-O'sullivan-Showalter-O'Conner. Once we hire a new coach then have consistency in winning then a new stadium will take care of itself.

I still say the down fall of our program in Cohen era is coaching.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-01-2015, 01:52 PM
"Look over there at that dead horse I bet I can beat it better than you!"

TheRef
06-01-2015, 01:54 PM
"Look over there at that dead horse I bet I can beat it better than you!"

Appropriate gif is appropriate

http://rs450.pbsrc.com/albums/qq223/tribo_bucket/beating-a-dead-horse.gif~c200

Bothrops
06-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Coaching philosophy has been the issue. I want the stadium so we can have the finest building in college baseball.

engie
06-01-2015, 01:56 PM
You don't get it and never will.

berr6728
06-01-2015, 02:06 PM
also I would like to pass a little trivia along. Since 1956 MSU has had only 8 losing seasons in baseball. Cohen on his watch has 3. I know all of you want to throw out his first 2 years but it doesn't work that way. It is, will be, and should be his responsibity.

DancingRabbit
06-01-2015, 02:20 PM
I have watched over weekend the regional games on espn bases loaded and especially the stadiums that they were played in. Our posters on this site keep saying that a new 40,000,000 stadium is our answer to winning baseball games and getting to CWS. Of the on campus stadiums I saw only LSU-ARK-TA&M- had better or equal stadium facilities than our DNF. It behoves me as to see the Floridas-Florida States-Miamis-TCUs-Vanderbilts-Louisvilles-Illionis-Oklahoma States-Fullertons, are consistently in a region every year or hosting regions with their poorer facilities and stadiums than MSU. According to our posters they should not be having these types of successes. Our fans and posters here say it takes a $40,000,000 stadium to attract good baseball players. We were on the same level with these teams in 2012 and 2013 but somewhere we lost our way. Athletes go to programs because of coaches and tradition not because of stadiums(I agree it helps, but only small percentage). Our problem at MSU is coaching. We have attracted better than average talent but can't hold the consistency of getting region bids each year or on verge of getting one each year. I could be wrong but I think that some 39 teams in regions this year were in region last year. We are putting the cart before the horse in building a new stadium. Your program should be at the forefront and the stadium will take care of itself once your program is consistently successful. Hiring a top notch coach is the most important part of the equation. We had a tremendous oppertunity in 2009 to do just that but our AD blew it. We could have had Dan McDonald who was my choice to replace Polk2. I listed my 5 choices for our coach and Cohen was not on my radar because of him showing his a$$ at DNF while he was at Kentucky. I publicly put out my 5 choices. Dan-Tim Corbin-O'sullivan-Showalter-O'Conner. Once we hire a new coach then have consistency in winning then a new stadium will take care of itself.

You should have tweeted those to Adidas. **

The stadium and coaching are two separate issues.

I seen it dawg
06-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Jesus man. Get back in your garage to your 8 track player and leave the Internet to everyone else.

5 Star
06-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Our biggest advantage/asset at MSU is our fans. Whatever it takes to get them there, is what I am in favor of doing. I am perfectly fine with our stadium as-is, but hey if they want to build a bigger and better one I am all for that too.

You are wrong on Cohen, but I will not defend him after what happened this past year, because some will not change their minds no matter what. It is his bed, he is laying in it. I can point to recruiting, injuries, age of players, and countless other things that explain this year and point to a bright future, but your eyes/ears are simply closed.

berr6728
06-01-2015, 03:11 PM
5 star my eyes and ears are not closed. Who's fault is it for recruiting? Injuries!!!!outside of Collins who was hurt? Age of players!!!!!!Do not understand. We had 8 seniors Most of our players were Sophs and Jrs. You usually only get 3 years out of a player as they are drafted. So age has no place here. The countless other things is poor coaching. We have a very good hitting coach on the staff but he was not let to do his job. Watched Iowa in regional, which is where Zach was before he came here, and their approach was much better than ours at MSU. I understand Cohen meddled with Butch and his coaching of pitchers. We have a coach at 3 rd base that is useless as tits on a bull. He may be able to recruit but he damn sure can't coach or coach 3rd base.

berr6728
06-01-2015, 03:19 PM
I seen it dawg- very funny. We didn't have 8 tracks growing up, but I have a very good degree from my great University, MSU, with a masters in Mathematics and master in school administration, and I coached for 29 years. So I am not the garbage you think I am. You are an A$$WHOLE with no reason to state such. I take offensive to your remark. I am 73 years old and love my University much more, apparently than you, with all the statements in this post you probably did not attend MSU or graduated from MSU. If so I am ashamed to be on this post with you.

Dawgface
06-01-2015, 03:21 PM
Its a useless discussion at this point. Next year will tell the tale on who's right.

TheRef
06-01-2015, 03:23 PM
I seen it dawg- very funny. We didn't have 8 tracks growing up, but I have a very good degree from my great University, MSU, with a masters in Mathematics and master in school administration, and I coached for 29 years. So I am not the garbage you think I am. You are an A$$WHOLE with no reason to state such. I take offensive to your remark. I am 73 years old and love my University much more, apparently than you, with all the statements in this post you probably did not attend MSU or graduated from MSU. If so I am ashamed to be on this post with you.

Alright...no room for name-calling in here.

I seen it dawg
06-01-2015, 04:17 PM
Easy fella. I've also a bachelors and masters degree from State. I don't think you are garbage,never even hinted at such (but I don't know hell you might be). If you're going to come on here spewing piss and vinegar then expect to get some back. Part of the program. Glad you are that old and able to get with some electronics and raise some hell. Kudos to you. With all those degrees easy when you are pounding that keyboard so you don't break it.

5 Star
06-01-2015, 04:22 PM
Its a useless discussion at this point. Next year will tell the tale on who's right.
100% agree. Unfortunately we have to wait a long freaking time.

messageboardsuperhero
06-01-2015, 04:27 PM
I always enjoy Darryl's monthly rants where he cries about losing his cushy, lifetime box seat.

The stadium is going to be built- period. You might as well quit whining about it. And if Cohen doesn't get the job done next year he will be gone, so I'd quit worrying about that too... Even though the coaching situation has absolutely nothing to do with the new stadium.

Smitty
06-01-2015, 04:34 PM
Hopefully we do like everyone else and allow GA to sit in prime seating. Sell the Boxes and Rows 1-15 from dugout to dugout for a premium price if you really want your ****ing own seat and have the rest of the place as GA. Get there early and you can sit wherever you want. Even on row 20 right behind the dish.

State82
06-01-2015, 04:50 PM
Paragraphs can be your friend (and convince me to read it)

blacklistedbully
06-01-2015, 04:56 PM
also I would like to pass a little trivia along. Since 1956 MSU has had only 8 losing seasons in baseball. Cohen on his watch has 3. I know all of you want to throw out his first 2 years but it doesn't work that way. It is, will be, and should be his responsibity.

And how long has the SEC taken baseball seriously? How many other leagues have several teams of the caliber of MSU, LSU, SCar, UF, Vandy, Arky, etc?

maroonmania
06-01-2015, 04:59 PM
And how long has the SEC taken baseball seriously? How many other leagues have several teams of the caliber of MSU, LSU, SCar, UF, Vandy, Arky, etc?

True, to compare SEC baseball from 1956-1990 with what it is today is a joke.

blacklistedbully
06-01-2015, 05:04 PM
5 star my eyes and ears are not closed. Who's fault is it for recruiting? Injuries!!!!outside of Collins who was hurt? Age of players!!!!!!Do not understand. We had 8 seniors Most of our players were Sophs and Jrs. You usually only get 3 years out of a player as they are drafted. So age has no place here. The countless other things is poor coaching. We have a very good hitting coach on the staff but he was not let to do his job. Watched Iowa in regional, which is where Zach was before he came here, and their approach was much better than ours at MSU. I understand Cohen meddled with Butch and his coaching of pitchers. We have a coach at 3 rd base that is useless as tits on a bull. He may be able to recruit but he damn sure can't coach or coach 3rd base.

if you really know about baseball and recruiting, then you'd know most of the guys on this team were recruited for the kind of play that got us to the CWS finals. Cohen has faults, but to jump on his recruiting is nonsense. The ball changed, and it changed the game. The NCAA did it to bring back more homers, etc. Our team wasn't built for that, especially given the size of our ballyard.

Give him a chance to get and coach the right types of players for this new era. This past year was a benefit for teams that already had rosters that fit the new ball better.

Todd4State
06-01-2015, 05:13 PM

You are aware that the teams that you said had better stadiums than us all reside in the SEC with us and are our main competition in recruiting?

No one is saying that the new stadium will win games- but it will help us attract players that will win us games. But why would we want to use that to our advantage when you can sit in the same seat you have been sitting in so you can reminisce about Ron Polk? Nevermind the fact that you will likely end up with an even better view of the action at the new stadium with an even lesser seat.

And since when did Illinois ever become a "consistent regional team"? Most of the other teams you mentioned are in the big three baseball producing states- Florida, California, or Texas- and all they have to do is find players that want to stay home.

MSU's problem is not coaching- it's fans like you that consistently attempt to hold us back by trying to keep things 1987 while the rest of the world evolves and then blame Pat McMahon or Cohen for not being Ron Polk.

I'm glad our AD "blew it" by hiring a coach that took us to the National Championship round- which despite his three losing seasons- two of which are directly the fault of Ron Polk and Larry Templeton, let's all gloss over the fact that Cohen took over a team that had a losing season the year before- is the furthest our program has EVER gone before.

I don't know who Dan McDonald is-I know who Dan McDonnell is- but the fact that you base who our coach should be based on them showing their ass tells me that you don't have a clue and haven't done anything competitive in your entire life sports related. I guess you wouldn't want Nick Saban to have replaced Croom if given the same opportunity because he "shows his ass" at times? I guess Ron Polk gets a pass for showing his ass during the hiring process- which actually prevented some of your candidates from being interviewed- Corbin and McDonnell?

We weren't going to get O'Sullivan from Florida because he would not have been interested.

Showalter is a MLB guy- and historically speaking that has not worked out well in college baseball, and certainly not as well as you would think. Ask Ole Miss about Don Kessinger and how that worked out for them. Showalter is not going to come here and take less money and have to worry about recruiting and dealing with people like you.

O'Connor will not come here or anywhere in the SEC West- and maybe even SEC as long as Manieri is at LSU. They are close friends and do not like coaching against each other.

Todd4State
06-01-2015, 05:22 PM

Collins, Britton, Humphreys, Michael Smith, Spruill, Fitts, McCord, Gentry, off the top of my head. Cohen certainly could have legitimately chosen to use the injury card- but chose not to.

Cohen "meddled" with Butch because Butch kept trotting Ross out there to get shelled and kept leaving pitchers in too long. Not a coincidence that Dakota Hudson pitched a lot more at the end and performed reasonably well. I don't have a problem with him "meddling" in that case since our pitching is what killed us last year.

Drugdog
06-01-2015, 05:52 PM
Having the nicest facilty is NEVER a bad thing. See Dallas Cowboys.

Smitty
06-01-2015, 06:39 PM
Some of these attendance figures I've seen are pathetic. FSU's bleachers are empty. Open seats in small stadiums.

We've got something very special and it's about to be the best in the land. Dear lord we deserve to be GREAT. DNF should sell itself to croots.

messageboardsuperhero
06-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Having the nicest facilty is NEVER a bad thing. See Dallas Cowboys.

Only our fans could try and take something as positive as having the best facility in the country and turn it into a negative. It never ceases to amaze me.

War Machine Dawg
06-01-2015, 06:48 PM

http://i.imgur.com/GikU4Cc.gif

http://i.imgur.com/E2j56iD.gif

Drugdog
06-01-2015, 06:49 PM
Only our fans could try and take something as positive as having the best facility in the country and turn it into a negative. It never ceases to amaze me.

We have our share of short bus fans for sure.

5 Star
06-01-2015, 07:41 PM
Hopefully we do like everyone else and allow GA to sit in prime seating. Sell the Boxes and Rows 1-15 from dugout to dugout for a premium price if you really want your ****ing own seat and have the rest of the place as GA. Get there early and you can sit wherever you want. Even on row 20 right behind the dish.
This is not an incredibly bad idea, especially given the posts you made the other day. The problem is, if 6 or 7 thousand people are willing to pay to reserve a seat and not show up, well, not much you can do in that situation.

Smitty
06-01-2015, 08:14 PM
This is not an incredibly bad idea, especially given the posts you made the other day. The problem is, if 6 or 7 thousand people are willing to pay to reserve a seat and not show up, well, not much you can do in that situation.

Take that option away. Offer 3000 premium seats for a little more money. More money would be generated through GA if people knew they could get there 45!minutes early and sit on row 20 behind the plate. We lose money having the damn bleachers as the only option. Cut that wait till the 4th inning crap. GA seats from rows 16 and up. Makes for a better look on TV. Everyone wins.

5 Star
06-01-2015, 08:23 PM
Take that option away. Offer 3000 premium seats for a little more money. More money would be generated through GA if people knew they could get there 45!minutes early and sit on row 20 behind the plate. We lose money having the damn bleachers as the only option. Cut that wait till the 4th inning crap. GA seats from rows 16 and up. Makes for a better look on TV. Everyone wins.
You claim everyone else does this, show me a link on that. I do not see why any athletic department would give up sure revenue for possible revenue. It does not happen.

I personally think the answer is letting general admission walk-ups sit wherever they want, unless a season ticket holder comes. Then they must leave. It is very simple in my mind, but I know we have those fans like that doctor from Columbus who complained about cheese on his seat or something. And then you have the problem of students simply not getting up for the seat-holders. I say pay the event staff a little more to actually do their job. Put it this way - there will not be any need for them to check tickets at the entrances to the grandstand anymore, so they will have more time to police the crowd. Of course, people could try not to act like pricks - I know, noble concept.

TUSK
06-01-2015, 08:34 PM
Easy fella. I've also a bachelors and masters degree from State. I don't think you are garbage,never even hinted at such (but I don't know hell you might be). If you're going to come on here spewing piss and vinegar then expect to get some back. Part of the program. Glad you are that old and able to get with some electronics and raise some hell. Kudos to you. With all those degrees easy when you are pounding that keyboard so you don't break it.

just curious, what's your masters in, I seen It?

I seen it dawg
06-01-2015, 08:52 PM
Sports Administration. Should have continued on and been our AD...that would have been a treat for you guys.

TUSK
06-01-2015, 09:34 PM
Sports Administration. Should have continued on and been our AD...that would have been a treat for you guys.

I wholeheartedly concur.

CadaverDawg
06-01-2015, 09:44 PM

I Seen It to State

TUSK
06-01-2015, 09:49 PM
I Seen It to State

seconded!

where do I send the check?

State82
06-01-2015, 09:53 PM
...that would have been a treat for you guys.

Classic

sandwolf
06-01-2015, 10:13 PM

Haha, that would have been a treat indeed. Given the amount of patience that you have with folks on the message board, I would absolutely love to see you field some of the ridiculous questions/complaints that SS gets.

I seen it dawg
06-02-2015, 06:34 AM
There would be some damn intensity in the Bryan building and other AD offices that's for damn sure.

blacklistedbully
06-02-2015, 10:08 AM
There would be some damn intensity in the Bryan building and other AD offices that's for damn sure.

Our version of Ross Bjork.