PDA

View Full Version : Jamal Peters and Mark McLaurin

CadaverDawg
06-01-2015, 10:03 AM
Not sure if you guys have seen some of their Twitter dialogue lately, but it is very encouraging. I have seen several things go across my timeline where they talk about being ready to work and get better so they can try to earn a spot as freshmen. They clearly have a plan to push each other in hopes of being the starters at Safety as freshmen by the end of the year.

Regardless of whether or not that happens, it will only make them, the other safeties, and the team better to have these young studs coming in and working their asses off to try and take their spots. Competition breeds success, and that's one position that if these guys bring the work they could find serious playing time. Either way, I'm glad to see that type of talk from a couple of gifted freshmen...and makes me even more excited about their futures here.

MSUDawg4Life
06-01-2015, 10:07 AM
Agreed. They definitely seem to have their minds right. I'm glad they realize it's going to take a lot of work to reach their goals. Having those two guys committed, focused and determined is only going to make our secondary better.

codeDawg
06-01-2015, 10:17 AM
If there is a position we need competition and hard work at, it's S. It's a weak spot for us now, and the most important position in the Diaz scheme.

CadaverDawg
06-01-2015, 10:30 AM
If there is a position we need competition and hard work at, it's S. It's a weak spot for us now, and the most important position in the Diaz scheme.

Yep, I'd be interested to know Diaz's mindset on starting a freshmen. I know they both have a lot of work to do, but if either Peters or McLaurin passes their competition, will we start them? or does experience outweigh? I love that we don't typically HAVE to rely on freshmen...but at the same time, I would like to see us utilize some of our more highly touted freshmen at positions we've struggled at the prior year...like safety. In other words, I want Peters to have a legit shot at winning that starting job.

MSUDawg4Life
06-01-2015, 10:33 AM
I don't think either of them have to start. If they work their way into the two-deep on talent alone, we'll be better for it.

1bigdawg
06-01-2015, 11:04 AM
If the coaches think any of these guys are three year players, they will put them on the field. I expect at least Lewis and Peters to be out there for that reason. Now, the amount of playing time is up to them.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-01-2015, 11:20 AM
If the coaches think any of these guys are three year players, they will put them on the field. I expect at least Lewis and Peters to be out there for that reason. Now, the amount of playing time is up to them.

I don't think Leo is a 3yr guy. At least not right now coming in. I know what his rankings were but I think he was a little over ranked esp the #1 MLB in the country. I think he was a top 10-15 MLB & a solid mid 4* guy but he's not the best MLB I've seen in the state the last 5yrs.

maroonmania
06-01-2015, 11:46 AM
I don't think either of them have to start. If they work their way into the two-deep on talent alone, we'll be better for it.

I really hope that Coman and Bryant can be SEC caliber starters at S for us at least for most of the year. Coman looked promising last year as a SO and people raved about Bryant while he was redshirting. Any update on whether Market can get back to full speed or close by the Fall? Also, didn't Cleveland move to S? If Peters and McLaurin can either one or both come in and make even the 2 deep that would be a big boost. Even as good as Peters is it would be hard to count on him starting until at least the last month of the season.

thf24
06-01-2015, 12:04 PM
No matter who ends up starting at S, it'll be nice to have some athleticism across the board. Out of the five guys who mostly played last year, the only two who were plus athletes were Cox and Koman. As much as I hate to say it I'm counting Market out at this point, because if he loses as much athletic ability as Nickoe did he's got nothing left. That leaves us with Koman, Bryant, Peters, McLaurin, and Evans, 4 out of 5 good to tremendous athletes.

CadaverDawg
06-01-2015, 12:04 PM
Even as good as Peters is it would be hard to count on him starting until at least the last month of the season.

Why?

I mean, what makes you say that? And why the last month of the season?

Not saying you're wrong, I just feel like at MSU we're trained to feel that way about freshmen because we rarely get ready made SEC caliber guys on campus. Is Peters one of those? Who knows, but he was the top at his position in the country by most people and was wanted by everybody, so for us to say he couldn't start over 2 guys that have hardly set the world on fire at S is not a stretch IMO.

I love that we don't have to rely on Freshmen, but I don't want us to miss out on a year of a better player simply because we feel a less talented Jr is better than a more talented Freshman. At the end of the day, it's football....and freshmen are winning Heismans at major programs at the QB position...so I have no fear in throwing a Jamal Peters into our S position as a freshman considering how bad our safeties were last year.

Of course, ultimately I want the best guy back there...I just don't think age should matter. Put the best player out there.

maroonmania
06-01-2015, 12:14 PM
Why?

Not saying you're wrong, I just feel like at MSU we're trained to feel that way about freshmen because we rarely get ready made SEC caliber guys on campus. Is Peters one of those? Who knows, but he was the top at his position in the country by most people and was wanted by everybody, so for us to say he couldn't start over 2 guys that have hardly set the world on fire at S is not a stretch IMO.

I love that we don't have to rely on Freshmen, but I don't want us to miss out on a year of a better player simply because we feel a less talented Jr is better than a more talented Freshman. At the end of the day, it's football....and freshmen are winning Heismans at major programs at the QB position...so I have no fear in throwing a Jamal Peters into our S position as a freshman considering how bad our safeties were last year.

Of course, ultimately I want the best guy back there...I just don't think age should matter. Put the best player out there.

Just trying to be reasonable in the expectations. Lots of responsibilities to learn at the position for a guy coming in from a small MS high school. Not quite like Chris Jones where you throw him in at DT because of his physical presence and hope he makes some plays but you don't give up a TD if he misses an assignment. Safety is your last line of defense and he better be where he's suppose to be and know what his assignments are in the coverage called.

engie
06-01-2015, 12:16 PM
Diaz didn't have any trouble running Nickoe out there as a freshman. He was redshirted, but was injured/rehabbing the first year, and had only been in Diaz's scheme basically the same amount of time these guys will have been...

Ifyouonlyknew
06-01-2015, 12:19 PM
Why?

I agree with your thought process but I don't think it will be as easy for Peters to just "step in" as others do. Talent & athleticism wise he's elite. He's a rare breed. What we don't know is how is going to pick up all the coverages, how is he going to learn the playbook, how is he going to handle adversity when he gets beat because he will get beat. How will he handle being the last line of defense because he spent a lot of time near the LOS in HS. Again talent wise he's #1 in the safety room & he hasn't even spent a day in the safety room but his progression & playing time amount will be determined by learning the playbook & calls & earning the trust of the staff & team. Believe it or not the other 10 guys out there on that field know if you belong out there with them more than the coaches do.

CadaverDawg
06-01-2015, 12:33 PM
Just trying to be reasonable in the expectations. Lots of responsibilities to learn at the position for a guy coming in from a small MS high school. Not quite like Chris Jones where you throw him in at DT because of his physical presence and hope he makes some plays but you don't give up a TD if he misses an assignment. Safety is your last line of defense and he better be where he's suppose to be and know what his assignments are in the coverage called.

Good points, and again I'm not disagreeing. He may not pick up the coverages and scheme quickly enough as you and Dan said. And I agree about the last line of defense point.

I just don't want us to always feel like a guy can't contribute valuable SEC minutes until he's a So or Jr, bc we have a lot of people that feel that way bc stud freshmen aren't exactly that common in our history.

maroonmania
06-01-2015, 12:39 PM
Good points, and again I'm not disagreeing. He may not pick up the coverages and scheme quickly enough as you and Dan said. And I agree about the last line of defense point.

I just don't want us to always feel like a guy can't contribute valuable SEC minutes until he's a So or Jr, bc we have a lot of people that feel that way bc stud freshmen aren't exactly that common in our history.

I was just talking about the fact I would very surprised if Peters came out of Fall camp as a starter. But yes, I too will be disappointed if we don't get significant contributions from Peters this year as a true freshman.

Coach34
06-01-2015, 12:41 PM
I don't think Leo is a 3yr guy. At least not right now coming in. I know what his rankings were but I think he was a little over ranked esp the #1 MLB in the country. I think he was a top 10-15 MLB & a solid mid 4* guy but he's not the best MLB I've seen in the state the last 5yrs.

agreed. I think Gerri Green is a much bigger risk of being a 3 yr guy

Ifyouonlyknew
06-01-2015, 12:43 PM

No I feel he's going to play & play early. How much he plays & whether he starts or not will be determined by those factors I mentioned.

Coach34
06-01-2015, 12:44 PM
Its almost a certainty that Peters doesnt start the 1st half of the season- it at all

Ifyouonlyknew
06-01-2015, 12:44 PM
agreed. I think Gerri Green is a much bigger risk of being a 3 yr guy

I'll go ahead & say it now Gerri will be a 3yr guy. He won't see his Sr. season.

thf24
06-01-2015, 12:45 PM
I'll go ahead & say it now Gerri will be a 3yr guy. He won't see his Sr. season.

Three years in the sense of he'll go as a redshirt sophomore or redshirt junior?

Coach34
06-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Three years in the sense of he'll go as a redshirt sophomore or redshirt junior?

after his R-Soph season. He's going to be an animal

bulldawg28
06-01-2015, 12:51 PM
Playing safety early depends on how complex the defense is. Both of these freshmen have the tools and wouldn't surprise me if one of them start by mid season. It's not like Diaz is going to run a ton of coverages. He'll probably run 5 tops and the spread offenses make it easy for alignment and responsibilities. It can get crazy when blitzes are built in weekly to attack formations.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-01-2015, 12:54 PM
I think it will be like BMac get feedback as a RS Soph but comeback & be a 1st rd his RS Jr year.

Coach34
06-01-2015, 01:16 PM
I think it will be like BMac get feedback as a RS Soph but comeback & be a 1st rd his RS Jr year.

depends how he develops in pass coverage. If he really does well- combined with what he does on pro days- plus people in his ear that he listens to- it could be 2 more and out. His play against the run is going to outstanding

maroonmania
06-01-2015, 01:17 PM
after his R-Soph season. He's going to be an animal

Well then I hope we only redshirted him last year because of the knee injury he had his HS SR year. No point in redshirting a guy that is even in the discussion to be a 3 year guy.

codeDawg
06-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Kind of echoing Ifyouonlyknew, there is not doubt the athleticism there, but in Diaz's system the Safety is the guy that makes a miss on aggressive plays up front hurt in terms of yards and not points. It's a really cerebral position and the value of experience and intelligence versus athleticism is much higher here than at some other spots.

Market is going to start here all year long. He has a nose for the ball. He's a leader on the field. He has everything except a 6'2" frame and a 4.3 40. Elsewhere there is a lot of experience (Cowman) and some up-and-coming talent with a lot of practice under their belt (Bryant).

Honestly, I hope like heck these guys are starting b/c that means they have proven that they are both mentally and athletically superior athletes to the guys we already have. I'm always up for an upgrade, but that's a lot to expect of true freshmen when a position has experienced bodies to work with.

I would rather let these guys play situationally where their athleticism can help and not put them in a position to be exploited because of inexperience.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-01-2015, 01:33 PM
depends how he develops in pass coverage. If he really does well- combined with what he does on pro days- plus people in his ear that he listens to- it could be 2 more and out. His play against the run is going to outstanding

Yea but he has great parents & people around him. He's also very smart & can graduate in 4yrs. I see him staying long enough to get his degree then leaving.