PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi State once again one of the most senior-laden teams.

Rayburn8
05-31-2015, 07:52 PM
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/teams-will-senior-starters-2015/

Bu..bu.bu..buuuu...but PAUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUL Mississippi State lost EEEEEEEEEVERYBODY. No way they can win this year*

messageboardsuperhero
05-31-2015, 08:18 PM
At some point these analysts are going to realize that our team is going to be almost perpetually senior laden with all the redshirting we've done in the past 5+ years. It's a product of balanced recruiting and redshirting with very little bad attrition.

There will be a down year every once in a while experience-wise like 2013, but we're almost always going to play a lot of veterans.

TUSK
05-31-2015, 08:56 PM
Seniors play football?*

Coach34
05-31-2015, 09:07 PM
We wont have 1 damn starter that wont be at least a 3rd year player

justwin
05-31-2015, 09:35 PM
Serious question....is Rufus going to be our starting LT game 1? We've seen crazier with Carmon converting, but who is going to be LT? I think Siddoway came out of spring #2 like Rankin did before he was able to settle in as the starter. Senior is a lock at RT, I would think. Rufus did get beat a few times in spring game.

Coach34
05-31-2015, 09:53 PM
Serious question....is Rufus going to be our starting LT game 1? We've seen crazier with Carmon converting, but who is going to be LT? I think Siddoway came out of spring #2 like Rankin did before he was able to settle in as the starter. Senior is a lock at RT, I would think. Rufus did get beat a few times in spring game.

Hev is happy enough with Warren that Rankin has been working at RT- not LT. He also loves the kid from Clarksdale to take over at LT after Warren

Ifyouonlyknew
05-31-2015, 09:58 PM
I'm still putting my money on Rankin to win the LT job.

Coach34
05-31-2015, 10:20 PM
Gonna be a good August and I'm just glad we finally have 4 legit OT's

justwin
05-31-2015, 10:28 PM
Hev is happy enough with Warren that Rankin has been working at RT- not LT. He also loves the kid from Clarksdale to take over at LT after Warren

good deal. does that mean that Rankin may never play since Senior has a few more years at RT?

justwin
05-31-2015, 10:30 PM
I'm still putting my money on Rankin to win the LT job.

what's the story on Rankin out of HS? I remember during Feb coaches saying he could've gone D1 out of HS, but chose juco. Just curious how he ascended to #1 Juco LT without much HS acclaim.

Coach34
05-31-2015, 10:47 PM
good deal. does that mean that Rankin may never play since Senior has a few more years at RT?

Warren has great feet and could be a very good LT- letting it play out
Jenkins is really talented and is the future at LT
Senior is a good RT

It's literally a matter of Rankin manning up and taking a damn spot. He was unable to do it in the Spring. We have some good OL guys and are better than in the past- as in when Siddoway stepped in. If Rankin steps up and takes a spot- just means we are that much better on the OL.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-31-2015, 10:49 PM
what's the story on Rankin out of HS? I remember during Feb coaches saying he could've gone D1 out of HS, but chose juco. Just curious how he ascended to #1 Juco LT without much HS acclaim.

Out of HS he was like 6'2" 230lbs. Got to juco & had a big growth spurt.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-31-2015, 10:50 PM
Warren has great feet and could be a very good LT- letting it play out
Jenkins is really talented and is the future at LT
Senior is a good RT

It's literally a matter of Rankin manning up and taking a damn spot. He was unable to do it in the Spring. We have some good OL guys and are better than in the past- as in when Siddoway stepped in. If Rankin steps up and takes a spot- just means we are that much better on the OL.

Yep the depth at OT will be the best in years. They think Jenkins is a future star.

1bigdawg
06-01-2015, 07:52 AM
The article says that Mizzou's entire starting OL will be seniors. That causes me some concern for that game.

Coach34
06-01-2015, 08:08 AM
The article says that Mizzou's entire starting OL will be seniors. That causes me some concern for that game.

They dismissed a starting DE from the team just a few weeks ago

LC Dawg
06-01-2015, 08:47 AM
I took a look at our spring roster the other day and noticed we have 34 juniors (not including Malone) as compared to 14 seniors and 18 sophomores. I know we are losing Dak next year and a few of the juniors but I'm hoping that having all this experience back will be to our advantage. I know we will have a dropoff but maybe all this experience will soften the blow.

Jack Lambert
06-01-2015, 10:45 AM
Different writer different bias or non bias opinions.

Tbonewannabe
06-01-2015, 11:27 AM
With having Seniors starting, I would wager we have as much or more playing experience this year than almost any team in the league. If our Oline and Dline play like they are capable, we could be better this year than last.

If Nick James and Cory Thomas make as much noise during the season, our Dline could be even better this year. The only place I am very worried is at LB and we have the Brown bros back. We probably not rotate as much so it shouldn't be as big of a deal.

Coach34
06-01-2015, 12:51 PM
The only place I am very worried is at LB and we have the Brown bros back. We probably not rotate as much so it shouldn't be as big of a deal.

Bennie will be a year older and Green will be a better player than McKinney by the end of 2015. Green's talent is off the charts. He's a 5-star top 5 in the country recruit if he is from anywhere else other than from the Miss Delta. Our inside guys are fine- its what we do in Cheetah's position that tells the tale

Coach34
06-01-2015, 12:52 PM
If Nick James and Cory Thomas make as much noise during the season, our Dline could be even better this year.

Homedawg and I agree- 2015 for us will decided on the DL- especially at DT

Tbonewannabe
06-01-2015, 12:58 PM
Homedawg and I agree- 2015 for us will decided on the DL- especially at DT

So does Chris Jones and Nick James compare to Cox & Boyd? Nick James full throttle is a 1st round type of talent but how often do you get full throttle? Ryan Brown might be the biggest surprise on the DL. He has quickness and with Jones and James causing havok in the middle of the line, it will set up for Brown to live in the backfield.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-01-2015, 01:07 PM
So does Chris Jones and Nick James compare to Cox & Boyd? Nick James full throttle is a 1st round type of talent but how often do you get full throttle? Ryan Brown might be the biggest surprise on the DL. He has quickness and with Jones and James causing havok in the middle of the line, it will set up for Brown to live in the backfield.

I think Cox & Boyd were a better duo. I think they were/will be more disruptive. Now if Nick reaches his ceiling then all bets are off but I have to see it full time 1st.

MSUDawg4Life
06-01-2015, 01:11 PM
I think Cox & Boyd were a better duo. I think they were/will be more disruptive. Now if Nick reaches his ceiling then all bets are off but I have to see it full time 1st.

Agreed. We haven't seen how Chris Jones and Nick James will play which leaves Cox and Boyd better at this point. Chris and Nick consistently playing at a high level could surpass them though.