PDA

View Full Version : Bammer question for those who care to address....

TUSK
05-29-2015, 10:57 PM
RE: our early losses to the draft....

Do ya'll not think that Bammer has the depth/(past) recruiting to overcome the departures?

Comparably, the losses weren't terribly bad in '15....

gravedigger
05-29-2015, 11:30 PM
Yes, if talent is the measure.

But senior leadership at the qb position may be bamas chink in the armor

TUSK
05-29-2015, 11:42 PM
Yes, if talent is the measure.

But senior leadership at the qb position may be bamas chink in the armor

you mean the RB we had playing QB that "couldn't speak (english)"?...

don't get me wrong, there's a low chance we get the stats from the QB position in '15 that Sims gave us last year... arguably the best SEC performance from the position...

however, I feel much better about Coker in '15 than I did about Sims in '14... but, you are correct, we will need a good/decent leader/QB to win the thing...

ShotgunDawg
05-30-2015, 01:11 AM
For me, the issue isn't really about Alabama. It's about how the teams they compete against are getting better, except LSU.

The underlying fact about Alabama is that from a macro standpoint they can't really get any better. Sure, they may be able to find an elite QB at some point that makes them unbeatable, but, when you have the recruiting championship for 5 straight years, have the best facilities that money can buy, & the best coach that money can buy, where is the room for improvement?

What I think is happening to Bama isn't that they are regressing but rather that all the main competitors are improving. With the SEC money, MSU & Ole Miss' stadium & facility expansions, Texas A&M entering the league, Arkansas beginning to figure things out, etc.... Alabama's margin for error is shrinking each and every year. Sure they may still have better players at many positions than their competitors, but the other team will also have good players & possible a really good QB that negates the overall talent advantage that Bama has.

I'm not sure if this addresses your question Tusk, but I don't believe you guys are regressing as much as you have such little room for improvement that everyone else is gaining on you.

TUSK
05-30-2015, 01:34 AM
For me, the issue isn't really about Alabama. It's about how the teams they compete against are getting better, except LSU.

The underlying fact about Alabama is that from a macro standpoint they can't really get any better. Sure, they may be able to find an elite QB at some point that makes them unbeatable, but, when you have the recruiting championship for 5 straight years, have the best facilities that money can buy, & the best coach that money can buy, where is the room for improvement?

What I think is happening to Bama isn't that they are regressing but rather that all the main competitors are improving. With the SEC money, MSU & Ole Miss' stadium & facility expansions, Texas A&M entering the league, Arkansas beginning to figure things out, etc.... Alabama's margin for error is shrinking each and every year. Sure they may still have better players at many positions than their competitors, but the other team will also have good players & possible a really good QB that negates the overall talent advantage that Bama has.

I'm not sure if this addresses your question Tusk, but I don't believe you guys are regressing as much as you have such little room for improvement that everyone else is gaining on you.

actually, 'gun, you made a point that I've been itching to broach for some time... it's not all about "My/Your Team", solely... it's also about what other teams do, as well... UM and MSU are better and Arkie and UT are about to make a huge jump IMO...

I'm not (yet) sweating Arkie and UT (we get em at home), but both are about to start whipping some ass (esp UT)...

AU will always push the envelope to get better, and no one has the cash that A&M does...

regarding LSU, if they could get Les to not show up on game days, they might never lose...

it's a bitch of a division, for sure.... I just feel the coaching/talent gap is still too big to pick an individual game loss for bammer....

CadaverDawg
05-30-2015, 07:12 AM
actually, 'gun, you made a point that I've been itching to broach for some time... it's not all about "My/Your Team", solely... it's also about what other teams do, as well... UM and MSU are better and Arkie and UT are about to make a huge jump IMO...

I'm not (yet) sweating Arkie and UT (we get em at home), but both are about to start whipping some ass (esp UT)...

AU will always push the envelope to get better, and no one has the cash that A&M does...

regarding LSU, if they could get Les to not show up on game days, they might never lose...

it's a bitch of a division, for sure.... I just feel the coaching/talent gap is still too big to pick an individual game loss for bammer....

I actually think the coaching gap has tightened drastically, and is possibly small or no gap btwn Bama and some teams in the league now...esp offensively. New offenses, home field, QB play, etc, has leveled out the coaching advantage IMO. That's the reason why I think it's so important for Bama to figure out the QB position if they want to maintain their place as a perennial #1. Gone are the days where you can just plug in a Sims or a Coker and win a Title...you guys need an elite QB. Or else you need to truly develop one that can take over a game if he needs to.

That being said, just like teams are getting better around you, thus making a loss in the SEC more likely for Bama...it's also making multiple losses more likely for those other SEC teams that are used to losing 1 or 2, so will it actually change the standings much? Who knows. But it is far less predictable week in and week out each year now...and will be this year even more than last IMO.

I could see Bama losing 2-3 SEC games, and hell, that might still win them the division if we all beat up on each other. The West will be a blood bath this year, and I would hate to know that I was facing so many high scoring offenses with experience, while not having a QB that I feel 100% comfortable putting the game on his shoulders. Bama doesn't have that, yet. As always, that will determine if they get back to the playoff, bc as we saw in the playoff last year, that defense isn't a steel curtain anymore against some of these modern offenses.

And let's face it, if we had you guys in Starkville last year, that game very likely goes our way. Just like yalls game vs the pigs could have gone either way. In other words, those aren't games that are normally that close for you guys...telling me that the gap has already tightened tremendously, and you guys need to start getting and developing elite QB's, bc others are and it's leveling the playing field. If you and LSU could get an actual game changer at QB, the gap would widen back out immediately I think.

Coach34
05-30-2015, 07:58 AM
You lost an insane amount on offense- then lost your top WR in the Spring. Thats alot to replace for anyone- but if someone can- it's Bama. But here is the deal:

1. Coker- not sold on him at all. He looked very pedestrian in the Spring Game
2. Sims got to lead a bunch of vets- Coker is leading youth.
3. The schedule this group will face is a monster. Ole Missus and their D early on, @Georgia, @State (the week after LSU), and @Auburn. Thats 3 of the top 5-6 SEC teams in 2015 on the road. Thats alot to ask a young team with a QB thats not all that to pull off.
4. Kiffin- he does some good things- but you can count on him to **** at least 1 game up. He always does.

I just think Bama ends up 9-3 because of a pedestrian QB facing too much schedule.

Mutt the Hoople
05-30-2015, 08:08 AM
Eventually, having all that talent leaving early for the NFL will bite you in the ass. It happened to Les Miles and LSU last year, when the talent and experience drop at QB and other key positions cost them.

1bigdawg
05-30-2015, 08:56 AM
You lost an insane amount on offense- then lost your top WR in the Spring. Thats alot to replace for anyone- but if someone can- it's Bama. But here is the deal:

1. Coker- not sold on him at all. He looked very pedestrian in the Spring Game
2. Sims got to lead a bunch of vets- Coker is leading youth.
3. The schedule this group will face is a monster. Ole Missus and their D early on, @Georgia, @State (the week after LSU), and @Auburn. Thats 3 of the top 5-6 SEC teams in 2015 on the road. Thats alot to ask a young team with a QB thats not all that to pull off.
4. Kiffin- he does some good things- but you can count on him to **** at least 1 game up. He always does.

I just think Bama ends up 9-3 because of a pedestrian QB facing too much schedule.

Coach, are you forgeting that we are going to be the last place team in the west?**

Dawg61
05-30-2015, 09:16 AM
I think major friction arises this year between Saban, the fans, Lane Kiffen and the offense. It was already peaking its head out some last year right after the Arkansas game. 14-13 I think was the score and Saban got pissed at the fans and media. I think we see more friction here and everyone loves to make Kiffen the scapegoat. I'm calling it now this is Lane's last year in Tuscaloosa.

I seen it dawg
05-30-2015, 10:11 AM
**** Bama

TUSK
05-30-2015, 11:46 AM
I liked/found value with every one of ^these^ posts.... even yours, I Seen It...

Pollodawg
05-30-2015, 05:18 PM
I don't know about regressing so much, but I will say that The Crimson Machine won't run like it has the past three/four years forever. It simply can't. No program can. At some point, there will the first pebbles that lead to an avalanche. Bama won't be 5-7 or anything like that soon, but the occasional 9 or eight win "down" year isn't impossible.