PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Peterson ESPN baseball analyst talked Cohen on Out of Bounds

Out of Bounds
05-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Kyle Peterson discussed Cohen on Out of Bounds today.

PODCAST: http://*******/1g6LJdD
Out of Bounds Radio App w/PODCAST: http://*******/1l69XZN

Bo Bounds
Host, The Out of Bounds Show
ESPN 105.9 The Zone
Twitter: @bobounds
thezone1059.com
Jackson, MS

Coach34
05-29-2015, 12:31 PM
Thanks Bo

CadaverDawg
05-29-2015, 12:47 PM
Thanks Bo.

I think Kyle said it best, "nobody thinks the game like John, and sometimes OVERTHINKS the game like John". He also talked about how different we do things. I don't know that I like that.

I think Cohen can have a long and successful career at MSU....the only thing that can stop him is John Cohen. If he would quit overthinking and overmanaging, and just utilize his good recruiting by putting his best guys out there, developing them, and letting them play the game the way it's supposed to be played...he can win Titles at Mississippi State.

Or, he can keep doing what he's been doing the last year+, and he'll be looking for a job this time next year.

maroonmania
05-29-2015, 12:52 PM
Thanks Bo.

I think Kyle said it best, "nobody thinks the game like John, and sometimes OVERTHINKS the game like John". He also talked about how different we do things. I don't know that I like that.

I think Cohen can have a long and successful career at MSU....the only thing that can stop him is John Cohen. If he would quit overthinking and overmanaging, and just utilize his good recruiting by putting his best guys out there, developing them, and letting them play the game the way it's supposed to be played...he can win Titles at Mississippi State.

Or, he can keep doing what he's been doing the last year+, and he'll be looking for a job this time next year.

And then in some situations, like batting Robson at cleanup AND behind Wes Rea, you really wonder if Cohen is thinking at all?

Smitty
05-29-2015, 01:40 PM
He wants it to be about him. That's not going to change.

Drugdog
05-29-2015, 01:52 PM
Making 800k and moving into a 40 Million Dollar Stadium should be enough incentive.

War Machine Dawg
05-29-2015, 02:38 PM
Thanks Bo.

And then in some situations, like batting Robson at cleanup AND behind Wes Rea, you really wonder if Cohen is thinking at all?

http://i.imgur.com/cuCPKY3.gif

blacklistedbully
05-29-2015, 02:52 PM

I don't see him going around tooting-his-own-horn, etc. He's constantly praising the university, the Athletic Department, Dr. Keenum, the fans, the players (when they deserve it), etc.

I just think he has a different philosophy, and you don't like it, or him one bit. Plenty of us differ with some of what he's done, particularly bunting too much, too early. Plenty of us get frustrated with his propensity to over-manage games at times. But you have been on a personal crusade against him from almost the get-go.

The reality is, he's forgotten more baseball than most of us know, especially you. Does he have faults? Sure, just about everyone does, and hopefully CJC will acknowledge them and work on improving himself the same way he expects his players to.

But if you think he puts himself above Mississippi State, I think you're full of crap.

I seen it dawg
05-29-2015, 02:56 PM
Thanks Bo.

Translation..."nobody knows what the **** he is doing or why"

State82
05-29-2015, 03:28 PM
I heard it this morning. Really good interview. I have always liked Peterson.

Dawgface
05-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Translation..."nobody knows what the **** he is doing or why"

True. Hopefully he will figure it out by next year. But have my doubts.

AROB44
05-29-2015, 03:36 PM
I don't see him going around tooting-his-own-horn, etc. He's constantly praising the university, the Athletic Department, Dr. Keenum, the fans, the players (when they deserve it), etc.

I just think he has a different philosophy, and you don't like it, or him one bit. Plenty of us differ with some of what he's done, particularly bunting too much, too early. Plenty of us get frustrated with his propensity to over-manage games at times. But you have been on a personal crusade against him from almost the get-go.

The reality is, he's forgotten more baseball than most of us know, especially you. Does he have faults? Sure, just about everyone does, and hopefully CJC will acknowledge them and work on improving himself the same way he expects his players to.

But if you think he puts himself above Mississippi State, I think you're full of crap.

Thank you for this post....very well said.

maroonmania
05-29-2015, 04:32 PM
Thank you for this post....very well said.

Agreed, no doubt that Cohen overcoaches routinely, but its a big stretch from that statement to saying that he has to make it "all about him".

5 Star
05-29-2015, 04:36 PM
You are a liar. John Cohen is all about Mississippi State first and foremost.

Smitty
05-29-2015, 04:36 PM
Agreed, no doubt that Cohen overcoaches routinely, but its a big stretch from that statement to saying that he has to make it "all about him".

The fact that every broadcast mentions his style shows me what he wants. He wants to be talked about as to why the game was won. HIS call here or there. Can't just let the game play out because where is his role

5 Star
05-29-2015, 04:39 PM
The fact that every broadcast mentions his style shows me what he wants. He wants to be talked about as to why the game was won. HIS call here or there. Can't just let the game play out because where is his role
What would any coach's role be, in this case? You are retarded.

Dawg61
05-29-2015, 05:00 PM

His team would win a lot more games if he'd go sell hotdogs during each game

Todd4State
05-29-2015, 07:20 PM
What would any coach's role be, in this case? You are retarded.

He would have had to play baseball to actually explain it on a rational level. To him baseball is all a bunch of statistical randomness.

Todd4State
05-29-2015, 07:22 PM

No one wants to win a NC in baseball worse than John Cohen. I guarantee you that he would much rather be known for being the coach that won the NC here rather than be known for any baseball move.

KB21
05-29-2015, 08:29 PM

John doesn't really have a different philosophy. What he is doing is overplaying the park effects. When he was at Kentucky, his team played in a band box. So, as a result, his team were home run launchers. He built his team for his home park.

What John has done at MSU to this point is build the team for Dudy Noble, Hoover Met, and TD Ameritrade. As a result, he is focusing on small ball, at times too much. However, this idea that he cannot coach power hitters is foolish. He coached them just fine as Florida's hitting coach, and as Kentucky's head coach. He also coached Hunter Renfroe just fine.

With the change in the ball, I think you are going to see him move from being a small ball heavy team to a more balanced one. You can see that in his recruiting over the past couple of years with Reid Humphreys, Brent Rooker, Joey Swinarski, Cole Gordon, Nathan Lowe, Austin Riley, and Greg Pickett as power hitting recruits.

Todd4State
05-29-2015, 09:19 PM
John doesn't really have a different philosophy. What he is doing is overplaying the park effects. When he was at Kentucky, his team played in a band box. So, as a result, his team were home run launchers. He built his team for his home park.

What John has done at MSU to this point is build the team for Dudy Noble, Hoover Met, and TD Ameritrade. As a result, he is focusing on small ball, at times too much. However, this idea that he cannot coach power hitters is foolish. He coached them just fine as Florida's hitting coach, and as Kentucky's head coach. He also coached Hunter Renfroe just fine.

With the change in the ball, I think you are going to see him move from being a small ball heavy team to a more balanced one. You can see that in his recruiting over the past couple of years with Reid Humphreys, Brent Rooker, Joey Swinarski, Cole Gordon, Nathan Lowe, Austin Riley, and Greg Pickett as power hitting recruits.

Ballpark factors and the old baseball.