Sean Ferguson

Who is your favorite #99?

Coach34
05-29-2015, 07:20 AM
There is only 1 #99 for Miss State:

http://msfame.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Jonnie-Cooks.jpg

AROB44
05-29-2015, 07:49 AM
You forgot about the original #99 ------ Harvey Hull. Great player !!!

Covercorner2
05-29-2015, 07:57 AM
Dorsett Davis

FISHDAWG
05-29-2015, 08:25 AM
Willie Blade

Bullmutt
05-29-2015, 02:34 PM
You forgot about the original #99 ------ Harvey Hull. Great player !!!

I've never seen anyone outhustle Harvey. Also don't remember another middle guard with his sideline-to-sideline pursuit ability.

FlabLoser
05-29-2015, 02:42 PM
There is only 1 #99 for Miss State:

http://msfame.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Jonnie-Cooks.jpg

Bingo. Didn't know he was from Leland. Him and Jim Henson. Kermit the Frog and Johnnie Cooks are opposite ends of the hardass spectrum. LOL

I think Cooks once caught a punt off the end of the punter's foot and took it in for a TD. Would be good to see some film of that guy.

Coach34
05-29-2015, 03:38 PM
Cooks is our highest draft pick ever. He was 2nd or 3rd overall

AROB44
05-29-2015, 03:43 PM
Bingo. Didn't know he was from Leland. Him and Jim Henson. Kermit the Frog and Johnnie Cooks are opposite ends of the hardass spectrum. LOL

I think Cooks once caught a punt off the end of the punter's foot and took it in for a TD. Would be good to see some film of that guy.

Not sure that tops Harvey Hull intercepting the pitch from Richard Todd to his running back (forgot his name) in the backfield and running it 50 yards for a TD.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
05-29-2015, 03:45 PM
Willie Blade

Pretty sure he didn't wear 99 as a Bulldog.

Billy Ray Valentine
05-29-2015, 05:34 PM
Blade was 96. Dorsett Davis wore 99 back then.

Todd4State
05-29-2015, 05:42 PM
We should have a Johnie Cooks award for the biggest badass on our team.

Lumpy Chucklelips
05-29-2015, 06:36 PM
Cooks is our highest draft pick ever. He was 2nd or 3rd overall

With the second pick in the 1982 NFL draft, the Baltimore Colts select Johnie Cooks, LB, Mississippi State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_NFL_draft#Round_one

Scroll through the draft and look at the QB's that year. Started with Schlichter and went downhill from there. Edited to add...other than McMahon

Billy Ray Valentine
05-29-2015, 10:37 PM
With the second pick in the 1982 NFL draft, the Baltimore Colts select Johnie Cooks, LB, Mississippi State.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_NFL_draft#Round_one

Scroll through the draft and look at the QB's that year. Started with Schlichter and went downhill from there. Edited to add...other than McMahon

Haha! I was a soph in HS then and my parents let me play hooky from school that day so I could watch the draft. Loved me some Johnie Cooks! What a badass he was!

TUSK
05-29-2015, 10:48 PM
TUSK votes Big Johnnie...

I saw him play in person just once... it was "that" day....

Bully13
05-29-2015, 10:59 PM
does anybody remember that game when we beat Miami and Jim Kelley in Vegas? I was at that game. I was clinging to the chain link fence on the sidelines. think I was about 20 or so. Kelley was rushing to the sideline and cooks just about clocked him before he got to the sideline. cooks was tempted to lay a PF on him but held back just in the nick of time. kelley was running so fast he had to use the fence to brace his stop right in my face. I yelled at kelley "you're lucky!".. I know he heard it. of course I never would have done had the fence not separated us. I think we were on the receiving end of 2 straight VERY favorable offensive PI calls in the endzone that sealed it for us on that day. don't recall too many games where the refs saved us but that was one of them.

but later, the kelley / Hull deal went on for a while in the NFL. kinda wished I'd never done that. Kelley was a class act.

Liverpooldawg
05-30-2015, 10:04 AM
does anybody remember that game when we beat Miami and Jim Kelley in Vegas? I was at that game. I was clinging to the chain link fence on the sidelines. think I was about 20 or so. Kelley was rushing to the sideline and cooks just about clocked him before he got to the sideline. cooks was tempted to lay a PF on him but held back just in the nick of time. kelley was running so fast he had to use the fence to brace his stop right in my face. I yelled at kelley "you're lucky!".. I know he heard it. of course I never would have done had the fence not separated us. I think we were on the receiving end of 2 straight VERY favorable offensive PI calls in the endzone that sealed it for us on that day. don't recall too many games where the refs saved us but that was one of them.

but later, the kelley / Hull deal went on for a while in the NFL. kinda wished I'd never done that. Kelley was a class act.

I was at that game. The thing about Cooks I remember from that game was the Miami center layed Jonnie out on one play. WE were all shock as Cooks lay on the ground. I don't know if it's true but I always heard he broke his nose. Cooks went out for one play. When he came back Cooks put the Miami center OUT, and he didn't come back. It may be a faulty memory after all these years but it makes a great story anyway. Anyone that saw Johnnie play should have no trouble believing it.

BulldogBear
05-30-2015, 11:50 AM
Cooks, Glen Young, and Bond are the first three players I ever remembered. My first game was in 1980. I still can't think of my entire college football experience without my mind going instantly to those three guys.