PDA

View Full Version : C34 talks SEC QB's

Coach34
05-28-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm going to hit position groups for us to talk about this Summer- lets start with the most important position on the field in modern day football- the QB.

1. The SEC's best hands down is Dakota Prescott. I saw this young man play at Haughton HS 5 years ago and I knew he was very good. He scrambled around for what seemed like 10 seconds, pulled up and threw a missile to a WR for a TD from 20 yards out. You could tell he was going to be a good college QB. What I couldnt tell from that night was the heart and leadership this guy brings to the table. He is already the best QB in Miss State history (sorry John Bond)- what he does his Sr year is gravy. He is poised for a huge year and may do the insane at State- throw for 4000 yards. With the WR's he has- he has a chance to go down as one of the SEC's best.

2. Dobbs- Tennessee. This guy made Tennessee better. Mullen was in the mix for him- but didnt pull it off for various reasons. Dual-threat guy that makes the East race interesting.

3. Jeremy Johnson- I like this guy. He can slang it. He is a much better passer than Marshall and an average runner. The GusBus wont run him alot- he's Tyler Russell with more mobility. But he will have to move a little. He will make Auburn's O rival State's and make Auburn the odds on favorite in the West because of schedule. State and Auburn should be the top 2 SEC offenses in 2015.

4. Matty Mauck- solid QB that makes throws. Limited talent on offense though makes me doubt them in 2015. They are very well-coached though. Missouri is sort of the State of the SEC West- doing more with less.

5. Patrick Towles- good QB on a bad team. He is talented and should have chosen a better school. I think he leads Kentucky to a bowl in 2015

6. Brandon Allen- handoff, handoff, play action....he is the SEC's top "play not to lose QB". He is not strong-armed but he is smart. He just has to hit the TE or WR on play-action.

7. Kyle Allen- A&M's system is QB friendly and he will put up numbers. He is still a true Soph and is going to **** up. the better the run game- the better he will be.

8. Jacob Coker- he plays for Alabama. He will hand the damn ball off then throw it on 3rd and 5. He looked very pedestrian in the Spring Game and word out of their practices is that they arent happy with any of the QB's. Lane Kiffen and his dirty hot wife are good at game planning- they better work some magic in 2015 for Bama to not lose at least 3

9-14...It doesnt matter at this point- the rest of the SEC is hoping for competence. Maybe LSU's QB's come thru here? Ole Missus has very good Wr's but huge questions at QB. Vandy? SC? Jawa?

Cant wait for September

Rick Danko
05-28-2015, 08:37 PM
When did the SEC expand to 16 teams?**** ha ha just messin wit ya guy.... Nice write up

BeardoMSU
05-28-2015, 08:43 PM
When did the SEC expand to 16 teams?**** ha ha just messin wit ya guy.... Nice write up

Number 15 and 16 are our backup QB's....but I disagree on that placement; they should at least be 5 and 6***

ShotgunDawg
05-28-2015, 08:43 PM
A few thoughts here:

1. What does Malzahn's offense look like with a pass first QB? Can someone with Xs & Os knowledge & knowledge of Auburn's offense, explain what Auburn's offense will look like without Cam Newton or a track star like Marshall at QB? To me, so much of the difficulty in stopping them revolved around the confusion that they presented at the snap of the ball due to having 3 options on each play and them all looking the same. With Johnson not being a SCARY runner, is this going to look like Dan Mullen's Tyler Russell offense that's more one dimensional than what we have with Prescott?

I realize that Johnson had some success last year, but that was without teams being able to really gameplan for him. I think Auburn will be good, but I'm a little skeptical.

2. I'll be curious how long Kyle Allen can hold onto the job at A&M. Once he 17s up a few times, the cult will be calling for Kyler Murray

Coach34
05-28-2015, 08:45 PM

hahaha...Slive leaked to me about Tulane and South Alabama coming in for 2018...my bad

Coach34
05-28-2015, 08:47 PM
A few thoughts here:

1. What does Malzahn's offense look like with a pass first QB? Can someone with Xs & Os knowledge & knowledge of Auburn's offense, explain what Auburn's offense will look like without Cam Newton or a track star like Marshall at QB? To me, so much of the difficulty in stopping them revolved around the confusion that they presented at the snap of the ball due to having 3 options on each play and them all looking the same. With Johnson not being a SCARY runner, is this going to look like Dan Mullen's Tyler Russell offense that's more one dimensional than what we have with Prescott?

His offense was just fine is 2009 when had a non-runner at QB. He does very well at adjusting the run game when he doesnt have a dual-threat

Bothrops
05-28-2015, 08:49 PM
Generally agree with your assessment, except for Kentucky..no way they are going bowling.

MSUDawg4Life
05-28-2015, 08:59 PM
What does Malzahn's offense look like with a pass first QB? Well, this year, it looks deadly. Watch their spring game.

They have three very good RBs. That pass first QB can make every throw while completing 70% or more of them. Their WR corps is not as deep as ours or OM, but they have 2 or 3 pretty good receivers. Auburn is going to be trouble for every team they play this year.

ShotgunDawg
05-28-2015, 09:09 PM
What does Malzahn's offense look like with a pass first QB? Well, this year, it looks deadly. Watch their spring game.

They have three very good RBs. That pass first QB can make every throw while completing 70% or more of them. Their WR corps is not as deep as ours or OM, but they have 2 or 3 pretty good receivers. Auburn is going to be trouble for every team they play this year.

You think he is going to complete 70% of his passes?

Not saying they won't be good, but just curious if Gus' offense will be more predictable & less versatile now?

MSUDawg4Life
05-28-2015, 09:27 PM
He completed 75% last year. Maybe it was in garbage time, but accuracy seems to be Johnson's strong point.

I wouldn't count on a Malzahn offense being predictable.

messageboardsuperhero
05-28-2015, 09:45 PM
Didn't Mullen also go after Jeremy Johnson in high school? It's great to know we have a coach that knows how to evaluate and develop the most important position on the field.

ShotgunDawg
05-28-2015, 09:54 PM
He completed 75% last year. Maybe it was in garbage time, but accuracy seems to be Johnson's strong point.

I wouldn't count on a Malzahn offense being predictable.

I mean.... he threw 37 passes last year & 16 of those came in the first game of the year when Arkansas had no clue which QB was starting against them or who Johnson was. Nick Marshall threw 293 for comparisons sake

Again, he may be good, but to say he is going complete 70%+ of his passes off a sample size of 37 passes last year, I believe is putting the cart WAY ahead of the horse.

I don't disagree that he may be accurate because that's an opinion and there is no way for me to argue that, however, I do know that he will have to make adjustments and read defenses, once SEC D Coordinators get some solid film on him. That's where he could have some growing pain.

Honestly, I'm glad we have Auburn early because I think he may really improve as the season progresses. The nice thing is that we get Auburn after they play at LSU

smootness
05-28-2015, 10:06 PM
Good list, but I would move Brandon Allen up ahead of both Mauk and Towles. And I would probably move Kyle Allen ahead of at least Towles.

gravedigger
05-28-2015, 10:42 PM
I'm going to hit position groups for us to talk about this Summer- lets start with the most important position on the field in modern day football- the QB.

1. The SEC's best hands down is Dakota Prescott. I saw this young man play at Haughton HS 5 years ago and I knew he was very good. He scrambled around for what seemed like 10 seconds, pulled up and threw a missile to a WR for a TD from 20 yards out. You could tell he was going to be a good college QB. What I couldnt tell from that night was the heart and leadership this guy brings to the table. He is already the best QB in Miss State history (sorry John Bond)- what he does his Sr year is gravy. He is poised for a huge year and may do the insane at State- throw for 4000 yards. With the WR's he has- he has a chance to go down as one of the SEC's best.

2. Dobbs- Tennessee. This guy made Tennessee better. Mullen was in the mix for him- but didnt pull it off for various reasons. Dual-threat guy that makes the East race interesting.

3. Jeremy Johnson- I like this guy. He can slang it. He is a much better passer than Marshall and an average runner. The GusBus wont run him alot- he's Tyler Russell with more mobility. But he will have to move a little. He will make Auburn's O rival State's and make Auburn the odds on favorite in the West because of schedule. State and Auburn should be the top 2 SEC offenses in 2015.

4. Matty Mauck- solid QB that makes throws. Limited talent on offense though makes me doubt them in 2015. They are very well-coached though. Missouri is sort of the State of the SEC West- doing more with less.

5. Patrick Towles- good QB on a bad team. He is talented and should have chosen a better school. I think he leads Kentucky to a bowl in 2015

6. Brandon Allen- handoff, handoff, play action....he is the SEC's top "play not to lose QB". He is not strong-armed but he is smart. He just has to hit the TE or WR on play-action.

7. Kyle Allen- A&M's system is QB friendly and he will put up numbers. He is still a true Soph and is going to **** up. the better the run game- the better he will be.

8. Jacob Coker- he plays for Alabama. He will hand the damn ball off then throw it on 3rd and 5. He looked very pedestrian in the Spring Game and word out of their practices is that they arent happy with any of the QB's. Lane Kiffen and his dirty hot wife are good at game planning- they better work some magic in 2015 for Bama to not lose at least 3

9-14...It doesnt matter at this point- the rest of the SEC is hoping for competence. Maybe LSU's QB's come thru here? Ole Missus has very good Wr's but huge questions at QB. Vandy? SC? Jawa?

Cant wait for September

1. Dak and johnson
3. Towles
4. mauck

Rest are a crapshoot.

thf24
05-29-2015, 08:00 AM
I'm not sold on Towles. He looked fantastic against us and a few others last year, but he looked terrible at times too. I'm still waiting to see if he has consistency issues or if either the good or bad games were anomalies.

Aces High
05-29-2015, 08:20 AM
Good write up. I dont see what folks like about Mauk. He is absolutely terrible.

justwin
05-29-2015, 10:15 AM
A few thoughts here:

I realize that Johnson had some success last year, but that was without teams being able to really gameplan for him. I think Auburn will be good, but I'm a little skeptical.

2. I'll be curious how long Kyle Allen can hold onto the job at A&M. Once he 17s up a few times, the cult will be calling for Kyler Murray

I'm skeptical too. The two main storylines that seem to be inflated and being "passed over" by pundits is OM's lack of QB & Johnson's potential inability to run under Malzahn. I see Auburn as an 8-4 team year in & out under Gus without an above avg running qb. I just don't know what kind of runner Johnson is. If he's successful this year, it won't be because how accurate he is, it'll be that he can gain ~ 50 yards on the ground/game. Everything about Gus' offense is dictated on an elusive, running qb.

Coach34
05-29-2015, 10:30 AM
Ya'll need to check out his 2009 Auburn offense- his QB wasn't very mobile

Ifyouonlyknew
05-29-2015, 10:31 AM
I'm skeptical too. The two main storylines that seem to be inflated and being "passed over" by pundits is OM's lack of QB & Johnson's potential inability to run under Malzahn. I see Auburn as an 8-4 team year in & out under Gus without an above avg running qb. I just don't know what kind of runner Johnson is. If he's successful this year, it won't be because how accurate he is, it'll be that he can gain ~ 50 yards on the ground/game. Everything about Gus' offense is dictated on an elusive, running qb.

Gus's offense looked fine under Chris Todd in 2009 & Johnson is way more talented than Todd. Gus can structure his offense to whatever QB he has. You must remember Gus gained his fame & attention in Arkansas basically running the Mike Leach spread & lately at Auburn he's run a read option. Johnson won't have to be good running for the offense to be succesful.

Irondawg
05-29-2015, 10:43 AM
I'm still mad we didn't land Dobbs - thanks Cord and MLB

ShotgunDawg
05-29-2015, 10:46 AM

That team also went 8-5

Look, I'm not staying Auburn's offense won't be good, but I'm just skeptical that it will be great. All I've heard this offseason is that Johnson is better than Marshall and Auburn will win the West, but to me there are some unanswered questions and I'm skeptical. Auburn's defense must make strides and Johnson must play like a veteran for them to win. Both of which we don't have much proof of what will happen.

ShotgunDawg
05-29-2015, 10:48 AM

Dobbs is good, but he wouldn't be playing here this year, and I think Fitz and Staley have every bit of the raw talent that he does, but simply haven't had the chance to show it yet.

I don't think losing Dobbs for Cord will ever haunt us. Mullen has recruited to well at that position in the past few years.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-29-2015, 10:57 AM
That team also went 8-5

Look, I'm not staying Auburn's offense won't be good, but I'm just skeptical that it will be great. All I've heard this offseason is that Johnson is better than Marshall and Auburn will win the West, but to me there are some unanswered questions and I'm skeptical. Auburn's defense must make strides and Johnson must play like a veteran for them to win. Both of which we don't have much proof of what will happen.

Yea but they didn't go 8-5 because they had a passing QB. That's my point in all of this. Them winning the west vs going 8-4 won't have anything to do with Johnson not being a great runner. If they don't win the west it will because that defense stinks & Muschamp couldn't turn it around in 1 year.

maroonmania
05-29-2015, 11:50 AM

Exactly, without the Cord Sandberg factor we would have Dobbs. Dobbs was NOT going to sign with us as the "second QB" and you can't really blame him. We were fortunate to get Damien Williams under that circumstance.

blacklistedbully
05-29-2015, 11:59 AM
i'm sure everybody on here knows how much I despise TSUN. That said, it seems to me most of us are perhaps writing-off Chad Kelly prematurely. I absolutely hope he crashes and burns, taking VH and the Black-Bears-named-Rebel with him. But are some of us jumping the gun by not giving him a shot to be very good at TSUN?

Please tell me why I'm wrong. I really don't want to feel uneasy about his potential. But is he much more a, "wild-card" than a likely scrub?

Coach34
05-29-2015, 12:12 PM
That team also went 8-5

2009 Auburn offense- 3rd in scoring, 2nd on Total O
2009 Auburn defense- 12th in Scoring D (deadass last), 11th in Total D

Had they had any D at all- they were a 10 win team

thf24
05-29-2015, 12:13 PM
i'm sure everybody on here knows how much I despise TSUN. That said, it seems to me most of us are perhaps writing-off Chad Kelly prematurely. I absolutely hope he crashes and burns, taking VH and the Black-Bears-named-Rebel with him. But are some of us jumping the gun by not giving him a shot to be very good at TSUN?

Please tell me why I'm wrong. I really don't want to feel uneasy about his potential. But is he much more a, "wild-card" than a likely scrub?

I think it's mostly that his JUCO coach said Bo Wallace was better than him and Bo wasn't all that great his first year at OM, and that Kelly supposedly hasn't separated himself from either of the other QB's thus far, who both looked extremely pedestrian in limited time last year. I agree that he's still a wild card at this point though; the guy undeniably has some talent.

Coach34
05-29-2015, 12:15 PM

Please tell me why I'm wrong.

1. East Miss coaches say Bo Dirt was better
2. Bo Dirt had better numbers at East Miss except on INT's
3. Very rare that a juco QB comes into the SEC and lights it up. There is going to be a transition
4. He doesnt have a personality that screams greatness- his screams douchebag

blacklistedbully
05-29-2015, 12:26 PM
1. East Miss coaches say Bo Dirt was better
2. Bo Dirt had better numbers at East Miss except on INT's
3. Very rare that a juco QB comes into the SEC and lights it up. There is going to be a transition
4. He doesnt have a personality that screams greatness- his screams douchebag

Regarding point 4, that just means he's a good fit at TSUN.

RougeDawg
05-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Regarding point 4, that just means he's a good fit at TSUN.

I Will add what a Juco football follower told me in January about MGK and the difference between he and BroLocks. This guy told me that the talent surrounding MGK was much more elite than the talent Bro had, and that MGK's WR advantage over the much less talented Juco opponents was the main reason for his success. He's undersized and simply used the "heave and hope" approval to amass his stats. And despite all of the talent around him everyone agrees BroLocks is/was the better QB.

Coach34
05-29-2015, 12:38 PM
I Will add what a Juco football follower told me in January about MGK and the difference between he and BroLocks. This guy told me that the talent surrounding MGK was much more elite than the talent Bro had, and that MGK's WR advantage over the much less talented Juco opponents was the main reason for his success. He's undersized and simply used the "heave and hope" approval to amass his stats. And despite all of the talent around him everyone agrees BroLocks is/was the better QB.

Thats damn near verbatim what their Coach said...said they had guys running free all year that you never see in the SEC

Ifyouonlyknew
05-29-2015, 01:00 PM
Thats damn near verbatim what their Coach said...said they had guys running free all year that you never see in the SEC

There is a huge talent gap between EMCC & every other Juco instate. Hell every other Juco in the country. It's crazy how they've become such a powerhouse.

Pollodawg
05-29-2015, 02:01 PM
There is a huge talent gap between EMCC & every other Juco instate. Hell every other Juco in the country. It's crazy how they've become such a powerhouse.

They absolutely ran JCJC off the field in the NJCAA Championship if I am remembering correctly. It's ridiculous the gap between them and everyone else. But, MS JUCO in general is stronger than most other states.

blacklistedbully
05-29-2015, 02:34 PM
They absolutely ran JCJC off the field in the NJCAA Championship if I am remembering correctly. It's ridiculous the gap between them and everyone else. But, MS JUCO in general is stronger than most other states.

Mississippi & Kansas.

justwin
05-29-2015, 11:47 PM

8-5 that year

justwin
05-30-2015, 12:14 AM
Gus's offense looked fine under Chris Todd in 2009 & Johnson is way more talented than Todd. Gus can structure his offense to whatever QB he has. You must remember Gus gained his fame & attention in Arkansas basically running the Mike Leach spread & lately at Auburn he's run a read option. Johnson won't have to be good running for the offense to be succesful.

I see what you're saying, but he had 3 NFL rbs in Ark to get 10 wins. That's an anomaly.

justwin
05-30-2015, 12:24 AM
2009 Auburn offense- 3rd in scoring, 2nd on Total O
2009 Auburn defense- 12th in Scoring D (deadass last), 11th in Total D

Had they had any D at all- they were a 10 win team

I don't buy that b/c Auburn never has a good defense. Well, at least not since 2008. Aub Total D: 2008, 7th; 2009, 11th; 2010 SCAM 9th; 2011 11th; 2012 13th; 2013 NC appearance 12th; 2014 9th.

In 2010 & 2013, they just outscored everyone....especially 2013 when they had 3+ wins in the last few minutes of the game.

My point is that for Gus' offense to get them 8+ wins, a running QB is necessary. Auburn can't rely on a defense to win them games but instead need a dynamic running qb to give them a chance. Yeah, Gus can have a successful offense without a running qb, but a running qb makes his offense extraordinary.

MSUDawg4Life
05-30-2015, 04:01 AM
I see what you're saying, but he had 3 NFL rbs in Ark to get 10 wins. That's an anomaly.

He might have three NFL RBs this year.

Dawg61
05-30-2015, 08:13 AM
I think this thread needs pics of the dirty hot wife Layla