PDA

View Full Version : Which men's sport has best chance to bring us our 1st NC?

blacklistedbully
05-28-2015, 02:15 PM
Of the big 3 men's sports, which do you think has the best chance of bringing Our State our first National Championship?

MSUDawg99
05-28-2015, 02:42 PM
Nm

Smitty
05-28-2015, 03:31 PM
As it currently sits I don't see how anyone could vote for something other than basketball with Howland and what he's already building. If you think about it... It's the only option. Football in our league is brutally tough. Baseball has too much luck. Howland can assemble the parts and has already shown postseason success. Hoops it is.

MSUDawg4Life
05-28-2015, 03:33 PM
I still think it's baseball.

smootness
05-28-2015, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I don't know how anyone could say anything other than baseball.

Johnson85
05-28-2015, 04:06 PM
As it currently sits I don't see how anyone could vote for something other than basketball with Howland and what he's already building. If you think about it... It's the only option. Football in our league is brutally tough. Baseball has too much luck. Howland can assemble the parts and has already shown postseason success. Hoops it is.

Football is last except although it's closer than it's ever been. In fact, it's probably got the highest percentage in the next four years.

Hard to pick between basketball and baseball. Both sports rely heavily on getting hot in the post season. Talent is still more likely to win out in basketball, so based on that, I'd lean towards baseball. Seems more likely we'd have top 5 or 10 talent in baseball and get hot than that we'd have top 4 talent in basketball and get hot. On the other hand, you only have to get lucky with a few players to push your talent over the top in basketball. Even if you get two lock down pitchers, you still have more work to do filling out the rest of the team, so based on that, I'd lean towards basketball.

We've been to the semifinals in basketball and the NC game in baseball, so it's not like it's implausible that we could get a championship in either sport. We have a coach in each sport that have made a championship game. It's basically a toss-up but I'd still lean towards baseball. As you said, there's more luck involved in baseball, so we're going to have more teams good enough to win a championship in baseball if we get hot.

confucius say
05-28-2015, 04:07 PM
Considering we just played for one in baseball, it's baseball. Then basketball.

Smitty
05-28-2015, 04:36 PM
6 games wins in basketball. Essentially 4 against equal competition from the Sweet 16 on.

Baseball requires you to get by 3 teams, albeit lesser.. Get by an equal or more likely better team TWICE in a Super. THEN you're one of 8 where you have to win at least 3 games to get to the finals and THEN win 2 out of 3.

Talent wins in hoops. Howland can bring it in as we are seeing. It's hoops

Billy Ray Valentine
05-28-2015, 04:45 PM
I'm gonna say hoops too. And it could happen soon. Before last year I never thought football would be in the conversation. Hopefully if we get in that position again this year Mullen won't step on his peter down the stretch and start playing not to lose.

smootness
05-28-2015, 04:46 PM
6 games wins in basketball. Essentially 4 against equal competition from the Sweet 16 on.

Baseball requires you to get by 3 teams, albeit lesser.. Get by an equal or more likely better team TWICE in a Super. THEN you're one of 8 where you have to win at least 3 games to get to the finals and THEN win 2 out of 3.

So in baseball we have to beat better teams, but in basketball we just have to beat equal teams? Come on.

All we have to go on right now is history, and history would suggest baseball is by far the easier bet. We have a better chance at fielding a team that can compete in baseball, and even if you have to get luckier in baseball, that helps us. As Johnson85 pointed out, in basketball, you pretty much have to field a top 5-10 team to be able to win it. Can we get there? Possibly, but we don't know yet.

If you're a team that can compete for a title in baseball, the regional shouldn't be a problem, then you have to win a series to get to the CWS. Once you're there, sure, luck takes over.

If you're not one of the top 5 teams in basketball, you have to keep getting lucky, and one loss knocks you out.

confucius say
05-28-2015, 04:49 PM

But you can lose in baseball four times in the postseason and win it. One and done in basketball

Bothrops
05-28-2015, 06:13 PM
It's the beisball. Historically, it's been the beisball.

shoeless joe
05-28-2015, 06:22 PM
No doubt it's baseball. Although football isn't as far off as many think. We were 1 more win from the playoff last year...and then who knows.

I find it amazing that basketball is legitimately in this conversation when a mere 2.5 months ago it would not have been.

scottycameron
05-28-2015, 06:28 PM
Baseball and it's not close. Then football with basketball an extremely distant third. Chance in basketball is zero.

sleepy dawg
05-28-2015, 08:16 PM
Football, this year.

MabenMaroon
05-28-2015, 08:24 PM
Football, this year.

THIS^^^^^^^

5 Star
05-28-2015, 08:27 PM
You are plumb crazy.

5 Star
05-28-2015, 08:28 PM
Baseball and it's not close. Then football with basketball an extremely distant third. Chance in basketball is zero.
Football is the one that is zero. Only about 20 programs have a real chance to win a football national championship. Probably less than that.

sleepy dawg
05-28-2015, 08:47 PM
Football is the one that is zero. Only about 20 programs have a real chance to win a football national championship. Probably less than that.

I don't see how anyone could think this. We were damn good last year, and had a chance at winning it all. With a little bit better team last year, you still don't think we had any chance? Was last year our absolute ceiling, and there's a 0% chance we could ever improve a little from last year and win it all? 0% chance? 1 more win and we were probably in the playoffs. Was that an impossible feat?

thf24
05-28-2015, 08:48 PM
Baseball has too much luck.

Can't luck work both ways though?

Smitty
05-28-2015, 08:52 PM
Some of yall are downplaying what Howland-Malik means.

In hoops it takes a couple of elite guys. We have Malik and it looks like others already lined up plus Howlands track record. We are ALL IN AGAIN on hoops.

It's 100% basketball if you take time to think it out. Look at how quickly things changed for the two franchises now playing in the finals.

MSUDawg4Life
05-28-2015, 09:02 PM
I don't see how anyone could think this. We were damn good last year, and had a chance at winning it all. With a little bit better team last year, you still don't think we had any chance? Was last year our absolute ceiling, and there's a 0% chance we could ever improve a little from last year and win it all? 0% chance? 1 more win and we were probably in the playoffs. Was that an impossible feat?

Agreed. I think we can win it this year. It will take very good play and a few things going our way, but we have more than a 0% chance in football.

scottycameron
05-28-2015, 09:57 PM

In hoops it takes a couple of elite guys. We have Malik and it looks like others already lined up plus Howlands track record. We are ALL IN AGAIN on hoops.

It's 100% basketball if you take time to think it out. Look at how quickly things changed for the two franchises now playing in the finals.

Wake up, dude. Nobody from the SECW is ever winning a basketball natty. And if anybody ever did it would be Arky. There aren't any schools in the country that care more about baseball than we do. There aren't a whole lot in football. There's probably a couple hundred in basketball.

smootness
05-28-2015, 10:03 PM

Since the advent of the age limit, here is the entire list of national champions in basketball: Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, Louisville, UConn, and Florida. Stretch it out to 20 years and you only add Syracuse, Maryland, Michigan State, and Arizona.

While I love Howland and am excited about the way we're recruiting, I just don't think we're going to suddenly find ourselves recruiting like that year in and year out. Malik is huge, but I don't think it means as much as some do going forward. If we follow it up with Kegler, that's great, but I don't think we're going to start getting 5-star kids from all over the place.

I think our chances to win the title with Howland are definitely greater than 0%, but he's not going to be here all that long. When looking at the overall programs, it's clearly baseball. Baseball will survive and contend no matter who the coach is.

Smitty
05-28-2015, 10:24 PM
Wake up, dude. Nobody from the SECW is ever winning a basketball natty. And if anybody ever did it would be Arky. There aren't any schools in the country that care more about baseball than we do. There aren't a whole lot in football. There's probably a couple hundred in basketball.

LSU and Texas A&M are about to have something to say about that.

archdog
05-29-2015, 08:37 AM
We would have won it last year in football if we had two studs at safety. We at least wpuld have been in the playoffs.

BankerDog
05-29-2015, 08:44 AM

Yet LSU sells out more home baseball games then we do. It's hard to find a seat on Sundays. We only have a packed house one day a year, on Super Bulldog Saturday. That's it. I will put my money on us winning a National Championship in basketball before anyone else in the SECW.