PDA

View Full Version : Spoke to someone today that has seen Holman play in person.

Thick
05-27-2015, 08:00 PM
He says that the kid has a great stroke, really understands the game, and can pass from the post or from the perimeter. He said the kid just needs the weight room that's all. He believes he will be a big player for MSU this year, but his second year and up will be a force to be reckon with. Just thought I would share.

Schultzy
05-27-2015, 08:11 PM
I can't believe he was still out there for us after looking at his film. Poor man's Kevin Durant in my opinion.

Ralph
05-27-2015, 08:23 PM
That's pretty much what BH said about him in the CL's article. Said he needed about 15 lbs before season starts.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-27-2015, 08:55 PM
I can't believe he was still out there for us after looking at his film. Poor man's Kevin Durant in my opinion.

Easy Romeo.

chef dixon
05-27-2015, 09:04 PM
Easy Romeo.

Haha, exactly what I was thinking.

Schultzy
05-27-2015, 09:06 PM
Easy Romeo.

Ha! Not trying to overstate it but he can knock down an open three.

Durant is just one of my favorite players to watch and he's not exactly muscle bound.

smootness
05-27-2015, 09:19 PM
Ha! Not trying to overstate it but he can knock down an open three.

Durant is just one of my favorite players to watch and he's not exactly muscle bound.

Holman seems like he has more of a Garnett game to me. Obviously not quite as talented but similar in style. Garnett was bigger and more athletic, though. He can knock down shots, but I don't think that's the main part of his game. Long, athletic, can defend and rebound, pass, and knock down the open shot.

Schultzy
05-27-2015, 09:34 PM
Holman seems like he has more of a Garnett game to me. Obviously not quite as talented but similar in style. Garnett was bigger and more athletic, though. He can knock down shots, but I don't think that's the main part of his game. Long, athletic, can defend and rebound, pass, and knock down the open shot.

He also looks like he has a basketball IQ that alows him to recognize shots at goal and get offensive rebounds for stick backs and I have laughed at people before for getting excited about players based on film but I can't help it I'm fired up about basketball again.

smootness
05-27-2015, 10:07 PM
This seems like as good a place as any to talk about the potential 2016-2017 team. Obviously getting way ahead of myself, but I don't care, it's still fun.

Ware, Sword, Thomas, and Daniels will be gone. Newman will be gone as well, and let's assume Zuppardo doesn't come back. That leaves Ready, Houston, Weatherspoon, Holman, Black, and Strugg.

I feel pretty good right now about our chances to land Lamar Peters and Mario Kegler. Then we're in on James Banks, Eli Wright, Cameron Lard, and a few more. Our lineup could look something like this:
PG - Ready
SG - Weatherspoon
SF - Kegler
PF - Holman
C - Banks

with Peters, Houston, Black, Strugg, and 1-2 more freshmen coming off the bench.

That's a young team but can still compete. So even though we'll lose most of this next team after next year, we should be able to remain really competitive in 2016.

messageboardsuperhero
05-27-2015, 10:32 PM

Very, very poor man's... I'm just excited to watch Holman develop without putting ridiculously unfair comparisons on him.

Thick
05-28-2015, 08:43 AM
The reason, I posted this was to inform you guys of someone else's perception that is not Howland's. The 2 that I spoke to were both former players off of quality MSU teams. Both of which played professionally. Sometimes we get caught up in coach speak, and that's why I asked about Holmon.

Johnson85
05-28-2015, 08:52 AM
This seems like as good a place as any to talk about the potential 2016-2017 team. Obviously getting way ahead of myself, but I don't care, it's still fun.

Ware, Sword, Thomas, and Daniels will be gone. Newman will be gone as well, and let's assume Zuppardo doesn't come back. That leaves Ready, Houston, Weatherspoon, Holman, Black, and Strugg.

I feel pretty good right now about our chances to land Lamar Peters and Mario Kegler. Then we're in on James Banks, Eli Wright, Cameron Lard, and a few more. Our lineup could look something like this:
PG - Ready
SG - Weatherspoon
SF - Kegler
PF - Holman
C - Banks

with Peters, Houston, Black, Strugg, and 1-2 more freshmen coming off the bench.

That's a young team but can still compete. So even though we'll lose most of this next team after next year, we should be able to remain really competitive in 2016.

2016-2017 is just a holding year. If we remain competitive in games and show we have players that can make noise in 2017-18, I'll be happy.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Good insight. Kid will get his feet wet this year but next year he'll be depended on to be 1 of our go to guys. Like Howland said between June 4th & Nov 13th he has to find 15 more lbs to put on. Kid is going to be a steal for us.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-28-2015, 08:55 AM
2016-2017 is just a holding year. If we remain competitive in games and show we have players that can make noise in 2017-18, I'll be happy.

This 2016 recruiting class will be a top 10 class. I think 2016-17 can be a tourney team also. We will have more talent in 2016-17 than this year. The team will just be younger.

maroonmania
05-28-2015, 11:06 AM

Yep, 2016 will be a transition year with lower expectations UNLESS for some reason we get Malik for a second year (which I'm not counting on). Not saying we won't still be able to achieve a winning season but I will be amazed at Howland's coaching ability if he can make our 2016 team into an NCAA team. I will be very disappointed if we aren't an NCAA tourney team in 2015.

smootness
05-28-2015, 11:12 AM
Yep, 2016 will be a transition year with lower expectations UNLESS for some reason we get Malik for a second year (which I'm not counting on). Not saying we won't still be able to achieve a winning season but I will be amazed at Howland's coaching ability if he can make our 2016 team into an NCAA team. I will be very disappointed if we aren't an NCAA tourney team in 2015.

I think based on talent, we could definitely be a Tournament team in 2016-2017. We could have at least 2-3 NBA players on that team, though young. We should be very athletic.