PDA

View Full Version : Haven't seen it mentioned, and since it's the offseason.....

War Machine Dawg
05-27-2015, 06:46 PM
I figured the main board could use a new thread. 14 FIFA officials were indicted on corruption charges today, and 7 were arrested. Most of it revolves around bribes for venue selection, as I understand it. Been a long time coming. FIFA is one of the most corrupt sporting bodies on the planet. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear they'll re-vote on the 2022 World Cup. And I doubt these charges will help U.S. chances of hosting a World Cup.

BrunswickDawg
05-27-2015, 07:06 PM
Best tweet I saw was along the lines of- "when FIFA officials were confronted, they fell on the ground writhing in fake pain looking for a penalty on someone else"

BulldogBear
05-27-2015, 07:15 PM
Best tweet I saw was along the lines of- "when FIFA officials were confronted, they fell on the ground writhing in fake pain looking for a penalty on someone else"

Hahahahah. I missed that. I did hear some talk radio this afternoon on all this. Hopefully this will be good for soccer in the long run. This is what you face in most of the rest of the world. There's someone , usually multiple entities, on the take in almost EVERYTHING, even starting a business, opening a restaurant, or a dadgum beauty pageant. We seem to have a bit more oversight, call it checks and balances, here as a whole. We have corruption, but nothing on the scale of things across the borders or overseas.

BrunswickDawg
05-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Hahahahah. I missed that. I did hear some talk radio this afternoon on all this. Hopefully this will be good for soccer in the long run. This is what you face in most of the rest of the world. There's someone , usually multiple entities, on the take in almost EVERYTHING, even starting a business, opening a restaurant, or a dadgum beauty pageant. We seem to have a bit more oversight, call it checks and balances, here as a whole. We have corruption, but nothing on the scale of things across the borders or overseas.

Um, I'm pretty sure you just defined Congress.

War Machine Dawg
05-27-2015, 07:46 PM

Awesome. I was just reading an incredibly lengthy article in the UK Daily Mail about it and the best line I saw was "One gets the feeling, though, FIFA’s president (Sepp Blatter) will be as difficult to nail as Osama bin Laden. Harder, perhaps, because it is not possible to take him out with a bullet."

SDDawg
05-27-2015, 07:52 PM
John Oliver nailed these pricks. Awesome to see...