BeastMan
05-27-2015, 12:05 PM
http://3rdand57.com/egg-bowl-back-to-thursday-a-possibility/

It_Could_Happen
05-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Good read. I agree with all points 100%

MSUDawg99
05-27-2015, 12:12 PM
Good article. I wrote some of those same things in one of the EB posts on here. Good stuff, Steve.

FISHDAWG
05-27-2015, 12:14 PM
I enjoy combining two things that I really love ..... only about 55K will attend but many many more will watch on TV .... so the crux of this is that the faithful attendees will be put in a hard spot but the rest of the bulldog nation probably wont mind at all, maybe even prefer it .... tough decision for SS but I think the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and the game gets scheduled for Thursday

BeastMan
05-27-2015, 12:15 PM
Good read. I agree with all points 100%

Thanks. I have a question. I make the point to stick up for the local business owners who lose big if they lose a Saturday home game. How much responsibility does an AD have to serve the best interest of the town his college is in? This is especially skewed for small towns like Starkville and Oxford. Reason I've asked is I've always wondered why the Starkville chamber of commerce not go on record saying they want Saturday home games. Certainly can't always be accommodated but I've wondered why they never speak up. 11 am games aren't ideal either. In years where you get multiple 11am games and a Thursday night game, the city takes a monetary hit

I seen it dawg
05-27-2015, 02:17 PM
I think it's very important to stick up for the locals. The locals certainly help make that place go. Saturday home games are a boon for the local economy and the partnership between the school and community can't be understated. Moving a home game to a Thursday holiday I think is a terrible decision.

I seen it dawg
05-27-2015, 02:30 PM
And great article Beast.

HSVDawg
05-27-2015, 03:23 PM
Spot on.

CadaverDawg
05-27-2015, 03:51 PM
BeastMan.....

http://i.imgur.com/1p0I4YD.gif

It_Could_Happen
05-27-2015, 04:21 PM
Thanks. I have a question. I make the point to stick up for the local business owners who lose big if they lose a Saturday home game. How much responsibility does an AD have to serve the best interest of the town his college is in? This is especially skewed for small towns like Starkville and Oxford. Reason I've asked is I've always wondered why the Starkville chamber of commerce not go on record saying they want Saturday home games. Certainly can't always be accommodated but I've wondered why they never speak up. 11 am games aren't ideal either. In years where you get multiple 11am games and a Thursday night game, the city takes a monetary hit

I defiantly think it depends on the size of the town. Starkville and Oxford? Of course you are going to try to accommodate the needs of the town as much as possible, because most of the businesses in Starkville are built around the economy of the school. Towns like Austin TX and Tallahassee FL? I don't think it matters as much.

fader2103
05-27-2015, 04:51 PM
I could be wrong but isn't the most north and south finals played on that Friday night after thanksgiving? If so that might hurt some attendance. I actually might be in the minoroity but I enjoy a Thanksgiving egg bowl

Todd4State
05-27-2015, 05:08 PM
I could be wrong but isn't the most north and south finals played on that Friday night after thanksgiving? If so that might hurt some attendance. I actually might be in the minoroity but I enjoy a Thanksgiving egg bowl

That won't matter because the high school championships are played at the road teams venue.

I totally misunderstood what you are saying. I'll tell you what it will hurt- is recruiting because then some recruits who are still playing probably will be less likely to come to Starkville with a game to be played the next day. At what should be our wildest and craziest atmosphere.

Todd4State
05-27-2015, 05:22 PM
Good article, but I disagree about Scott being fan friendly.

Look at the Adidas stuff- we all had baseball uniforms that we liked when we went to Omaha. Now we HAVE to use their bats and they have put us in some ugly ridiculous uniforms- including the pin stripes with the ridiculous Phillies stripe on it.

Or how about the Oklahoma State debacle? Rick Ray? The Snow Bowl tribute? UK Thursday night game during fall break? Let's just be thankful that we didn't bring in fake snow like he wanted to do.

Scott has done a LOT of good things- don't get me wrong- but he has a history of doing goofy stuff that he thinks everyone will like, but the majority don't. Or at the very least he will toe the company line whether that be Adidas or the SEC.

The Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving is right in line with the goofy stuff. He will just call it "branding". Which is dumb.

Here's what is going to happen- we're going to play the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving. Whether the majority like it or not. Why? Because the SEC really wants Texas A&M and LSU on Thanksgiving, but LSU doesn't want to do it. So, they'll go run to their little errand boy who had been pushing for Thanksgiving games for a couple of years even though Ole Miss doesn't want to do it. In fact, unless I'm mistaken Bjork was the one who put this out there on the table- probably hoping to drum up enough support to KEEP it from happening. So, pretty much the SEC is going to bend us over because of LSU not wanting to play on Thanksgiving.

Here's the solution- move the Egg Bowl back a week and then have MSU/Texas A&M play on Thanksgiving so that Scott can get his "branding" while we are wearing our Adidas turkey warrior special uniforms and then have Ole Miss/LSU the last weekend so that the two "Real rivals" can play to finish the year out.

LC Dawg
05-27-2015, 05:25 PM

I do like the Thanksgiving Egg Bowl but I really wasn't thinking about this and you are correct that it will hurt the local businesses. It used to really piss me off when the state government talked about forcing the Egg Bowl to be played in Jackson. I hated to see Starkville, and even Oxford, businesses lose business to Jackson even though the local businesses support the schools and Jackson businesses do nothing for the schools. Thank you for reminding me of that.

Schultzy
05-27-2015, 08:01 PM
Here's a bs argument from the article; "it didn't create any tangible exposure that either MSU or Ole Miss benefited from."

I was on airplanes all over the country during those years and couldn't believe the conversations people started with me about the egg bowl back then.

From co-workers in the northeast and Midwest you better believe it raised their consciousness of the state of Mississippi and our rivalry. That was the only game on tv that night back then but I think the NFL has added a third game since then and I bet the egg bowl ratings and Vegas action influenced that decision.