PDA

View Full Version : Looking at Manny and our 2015 D talent....

CadaverDawg
05-27-2015, 08:56 AM
Could this be the most talent Manny has ever had to work with on Defense in his career?

Hear me out...

Mid Tennessee St - No

I know KJ and crew were loaded with NFL players, but not bc they were stars out of high school. They developed at MSU.

At Texas, he had tons of highly rated recruits, but it appeared that they had no work ethic and the inmates were running the asylum under Brown, so I don't know how to judge that talent from a desire, character, work ethic standpoint.

La Tech - No

This seems to be the best combo of "stars" and work ethic, character (intangibles), that he has ever coached. Am I way off? Stretching? Maybe I am

sandwolf
05-27-2015, 09:06 AM
I hope that turns out to be the case. But that 2010 D was really, really talented. If we can match that defense this year, then we should win the West.

CadaverDawg
05-27-2015, 09:12 AM
I hope that turns out to be the case. But that 2010 D was really, really talented. If we can match that defense this year, then we should win the West.

No doubt. I'm not talking end result talent...I'm talking talent to work with in the program on his side of the ball. There was clearly beasts on that 10 D

Eric Nies Grind Time
05-27-2015, 09:51 AM
If you are going by NFL draft picks + draft position this is more talent than 2010. Although I don't think anyone will go higher than Fletcher Cox.

NCDawg
05-27-2015, 10:50 AM
If you are going by NFL draft picks + draft position this is more talent than 2010. Although I don't think anyone will go higher than Fletcher Cox.

Maybe Chris Jones. Question is to whether or not he has the will. I think he's got the talent.

smootness
05-27-2015, 10:58 AM
You're hoping, and I am, too. Do we know anything yet? No.

We'll just have to wait and see.

maroonmania
05-27-2015, 11:21 AM
Somebody should do a position by position starter comparison between 2010 and projected starting D for 2015 and see who you would take. For example a Chris Jones and a Fletcher Cox might be roughly equal (remember Fletcher really blew up his JR year) but do we have another DT as good as Josh Boyd?

thf24
05-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Maybe Chris Jones. Question is to whether or not he has the will. I think he's got the talent.

That's what I was thinking. If he turns it on and has a Fletcher Cox-type junior season, he will be a top 15 pick, maybe better.

CadaverDawg
05-27-2015, 12:08 PM
Again, I'm not talking about end of the road talent. I'm talking about recruited talent + intangibles like work ethic, etc.
Obviously we won't know which is most NFL talented until after these guys leave school. I guess what I'm saying is, Manny has been a DC for several years now, and you could argue that in terms of raw talent and what the recruiting experts and ratings said....this team arguably has more talent for him to work with than any D he's ever coached. The one wild card being Texas bc they had the Star ratings but internal issues.

Maybe I'm reaching. I guess I'm looking at the fact that our best players from 2010 were not heavily recruited for the most part, whereas Manny has a ton of heavily recruited guys to work with this time around. If he can do with that group the things he did, the sky is really the limit with the talent on this squad if it's developed at the same rate. Seems like with the same amount of development, there is no reason that his best days as a DC couldn't be ahead of him.

smootness
05-27-2015, 12:18 PM
But 'recruited more heavily' does not always equal 'more talented'. KJ Wright was just overlooked in recruiting; he always had that level of talent. Same with Banks.

Obviously his Texas defenses were his most heavily recruited, but there were other issues, as you mentioned. Could some of those issues arise for us? I doubt it, but you never know.

So this could be his best defense, all factors considered, but we don't know. You just can't get a definite answer on that before the season is played.

With regard to the question of whether or not we have another DT as good as Josh Boyd, I would say Nick James could absolutely be that. But, again, we don't know yet.

starkvegasdawg
05-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Is it September yet? I'm ready for all these questions to be answered. My impatience is killing me.

mcain31
05-27-2015, 12:47 PM
I hope the 2015 Bulldogs defense turns out to be his best defense to date.

FISHDAWG
05-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Again, I'm not talking about end of the road talent. I'm talking about recruited talent + intangibles like work ethic, etc.
Obviously we won't know which is most NFL talented until after these guys leave school. I guess what I'm saying is, Manny has been a DC for several years now, and you could argue that in terms of raw talent and what the recruiting experts and ratings said....this team arguably has more talent for him to work with than any D he's ever coached. The one wild card being Texas bc they had the Star ratings but internal issues.

Maybe I'm reaching. I guess I'm looking at the fact that our best players from 2010 were not heavily recruited for the most part, whereas Manny has a ton of heavily recruited guys to work with this time around. If he can do with that group the things he did, the sky is really the limit with the talent on this squad if it's developed at the same rate. Seems like with the same amount of development, there is no reason that his best days as a DC couldn't be ahead of him.

Half of Manny's problem @ UT was their anemic offense - not development of players

Coach34
05-27-2015, 01:04 PM
If you guys remember last summer- I told you that JRob was going to be gone after the season- many of you argued and didn't agree.

This year Jones and James will be leaving early after having great years. Bear will be also- but he's on O.

This is why I expect some dropoff in 2016- we won't just be losing Sr's- but some very talented Jr's

Big4Dawg
05-27-2015, 02:09 PM
My take

2010 2015
DE: McPhee > Brown - to early to tell for Brown.
DT: Cox > Jones - depends on if Jones steps up.
DT: Boyd > James - Same as Jones.
DE: Ferguson < Jefferson

OLB: Wright = B. Brown - Almost gave this to Wright.
MLB: White < R. Brown
OLB: Gatling = Jackson/Jung/Gray - Who knows about this

CB: Banks < Redmond - Edge to Redmond, barely
S: Michell > Coman? - Hard to know about S position, 2010 gets both nods.
S: Whitley > Market?
CB: Broomfield < Calhoun

Score:
2010 - 5
2015 - 4
Tie - 2
Advantage: 2010.

DancingRabbit
05-27-2015, 02:19 PM

I think there was a great deal of star inflation involving Texas recruits for a period of time, especially after the NC year. Mack Brown could breathe on a kid and he became a 4-star or 5-star. Similar to Saban, but Saban is a much better judge of talent.

maroonmania
05-27-2015, 02:36 PM
If you guys remember last summer- I told you that JRob was going to be gone after the season- many of you argued and didn't agree.

This year Jones and James will be leaving early after having great years. Bear will be also- but he's on O.

This is why I expect some dropoff in 2016- we won't just be losing Sr's- but some very talented Jr's

Boy, we will be hurting in 2016 at DT if Jones and James were to both leave early AND TD Moton doesn't get eligible.

sandwolf
05-27-2015, 04:14 PM
MLB: White < R. Brown

Agree with most of your list, but not on this one.....not at this point anyway.

Treemydawg
05-27-2015, 04:27 PM

Not trying to be a smart ass coach but you also guaranteed us that Ray was getting another year. Hands down no questions asked he is definitely coming back.

Reason2succeed
05-27-2015, 04:38 PM
A big part of whether or not Manny is successful this year will depend on how well the players learn the system. Yes, it's basically the same but we have new players that we will be counting on too. We need them playing fast and not thinking slow.

HancockCountyDog
05-27-2015, 04:44 PM

You really think Nick leaves after this year? That would surprise me. Then again with Nick, nothing would surprise me.

Coach34
05-27-2015, 05:42 PM
Not trying to be a smart ass coach but you also guaranteed us that Ray was getting another year. Hands down no questions asked he is definitely coming back.

I can list numerous other things Ive gotten right also- shall I?

Coach34
05-27-2015, 05:44 PM
You really think Nick leaves after this year? That would surprise me. Then again with Nick, nothing would surprise me.

Like JRob- Nick does not love the school life. If he has the year I expect him to- which he should now that he is in shape- he will get drafted. And if he thinks he will get drafted- he's gone.

HancockCountyDog
05-27-2015, 06:19 PM
Like JRob- Nick does not love the school life. If he has the year I expect him to- which he should now that he is in shape- he will get drafted. And if he thinks he will get drafted- he's gone.

Yeah, Ive known nick for almost 8 years, Im happy he has been able to stay eligible and keep his nose clean. A lot of people on the coast didn't expect that. Shows what Mullen can do with kids that have a problematic HS career.

Treemydawg
05-27-2015, 06:26 PM
I can list numerous other things Ive gotten right also- shall I?

Go right ahead coach, I wasn't trying to be cute or smart just pointing out that you like to give absolutes that you know as fact as if they are the gospel. If your contacts are giving you these absolutes,I can't blame you one bit. I just wouldn't be so adamant that this or that is going or not going to happen with as many things as you have been wrong on.

Coach34
05-27-2015, 06:37 PM
Go right ahead coach, I wasn't trying to be cute or smart just pointing out that you like to give absolutes that you know as fact as if they are the gospel. If your contacts are giving you these absolutes,I can't blame you one bit. I just wouldn't be so adamant that this or that is going or not going to happen with as many things as you have been wrong on.

Well, like anything in life- things change. I was going off what the AD was telling people point blank in private. He and Keenum were obviously presented with something better and jumped on it. And we are all glad they did.

As far as the JRob deal- if there was any chance he was getting drafted- he was going to leave. Thats why I said what I said last year. Same goes with Nick James. If he produces and works his way into getting drafted- he's out the door. He dont give one shit about a diploma. Jones and Wilson are playing for draft position- not if they will get drafted. They are different from him