PDA

View Full Version : Most improved football player

msstate7
05-27-2015, 07:51 AM
Who you got on offense and defense?

I'll go Ross on offense and coman on defense

BulldogDX55
05-27-2015, 08:05 AM
I'll take Rufus Warren successfully converting to OT on offense and Chris Jones living up to potential on defense.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-27-2015, 08:07 AM
Shump & Coman

CadaverDawg
05-27-2015, 08:21 AM
Shumpert and Nick James

If a first year player can be considered "improved", I will put Cory Thomas in there for D. I think Thomas becomes a regular rotation in key times on the DL by game 4-5. Our fans are going to love this guy.

I also think Morrow continues his improvement and has a nice year.

AROB44
05-27-2015, 08:21 AM
Gus Walley and Chris Jones

Johnson85
05-27-2015, 08:34 AM
Shumpert and Nick James

If a first year player can be considered "improved", I will put Cory Thomas in there for D. I think Thomas becomes a regular rotation in key times on the DL by game 4-5. Our fans are going to love this guy.

I also think Morrow continues his improvement and has a nice year.

If Morrow makes another incremental step next year like he has the past couple of years, he will as far as I know be the MSU player that improved the most over his career. Obviously players have made bigger jumps looking at how lost they were as a freshman to how good they ended up being, but I'm talking about improvement on top of the normal maturation process. It wasn't just his body developing and him getting use to the college game; on top of that, he incrementally improved route running, blocking, catching every year he's been here.

maroonmania
05-27-2015, 08:40 AM
I'll go with Fred Ross and AJ Jefferson.

Johnson85
05-27-2015, 08:40 AM
Lots of good answers so far. Who I hope makes the biggest improvement, in order:

Defense
Brandon Bryant (if a RS player can be most improved)
Coman (Safeties here for obvious reason; need the weak link shored up first)
Chris Jones (he needs to turn into Fletcher Cox redux)
Nick James (another guy with the potential to turn into a monster that could change the nature of our defense; if you don't have an obvious weak link, then you have to have somebody that disrupts what the other thing wants to do and our DTs have the best chance of doing this I think)

Offense:
Rankin/Rufus Warren/Cole Carter (need one more good OT to line up across from Senior)
Aeris Williams (I love SHump but I still think of him as a straight downhill runner that we need a change of pace from, or we need another guy to come in behind him and be just as punishing).

CadaverDawg
05-27-2015, 08:48 AM
If Morrow makes another incremental step next year like he has the past couple of years, he will as far as I know be the MSU player that improved the most over his career. Obviously players have made bigger jumps looking at how lost they were as a freshman to how good they ended up being, but I'm talking about improvement on top of the normal maturation process. It wasn't just his body developing and him getting use to the college game; on top of that, he incrementally improved route running, blocking, catching every year he's been here.

I agree. Morrow is the epitome of the character and work ethic Mullen looks for IMO. I'm really proud of that guy, and I hope our fans appreciate the work he's put in.

Coach34
05-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Jamal Clayborn
Nick James

thf24
05-27-2015, 09:29 AM

Agreed. Besides his catching woes early on, I remember him being an absolute liability as a blocker. Now, I'm pretty sure one of our corners said in a spring interview that his block is the toughest to shed out of the receivers. That kind of improvement in an area secondary to the position takes real persistence and dedication.

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Clayborn is going to be my answer for offensive MVP this season. Without saying this award by default will go to Dak, but if Clayborn can settle in and make the correct calls at center, we are going to be really hard to handle on offense.

Coach34
05-27-2015, 09:37 AM
Our 3 starting inside guys will be an MRA grad, a JA grad, and a Madison Central grad. Intelligence and making calls won't be a problem in 2015.

War Machine Dawg
05-27-2015, 09:51 AM
Defense: Coman. Kid can play, just needed snaps.
Honorable Mention: Nick James

Offense: Fred Brown. Love this guy. He makes the tough catches and isn't afraid to go into the middle. I'm looking for him to take a big step forward this season.
Honorable Mention: Jamaal Clayborne

Dawg496
05-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Fred Brown is the forgotten WR.. he's my guy on offense as well.

As far as defense, I'll take Richie Brown although he has made plenty of plays already.

Jack Lambert
05-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Dak and Shump. Dak is going to be a passing machine and Shump is starting to find the holes.

maroonmania
05-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Agreed. Besides his catching woes early on, I remember him being an absolute liability as a blocker. Now, I'm pretty sure one of our corners said in a spring interview that his block is the toughest to shed out of the receivers. That kind of improvement in an area secondary to the position takes real persistence and dedication.

If true, that alone will get him a lot of reps this year.

msstate7
05-27-2015, 11:26 AM
If true, that alone will get him a lot of reps this year.

Just ask Robert Johnson

CadaverDawg
05-27-2015, 12:10 PM
Just ask Robert Johnson

Shit, you're right....Holloway and Morrow will be our kickoff return guys.**

tcdog70
05-27-2015, 03:31 PM
the best 2 as far as the good for the team goes is--
Nick James
Rufus Warren

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
05-27-2015, 04:05 PM
Shump & Coman

Hey Dan, just a reminder from the board: it's not too late to move Shump to safety & relegate Coman & Evans (there is no difference) to full-time kickoff coverage.

HancockCountyDog
05-27-2015, 04:52 PM
I think Bear has best season as a MSU WR since Moulds.

Defensively, Chris Jones becomes Fletcher Cox2.0.

confucius say
05-27-2015, 05:24 PM
Aj Jefferson.
Richie brown.

msstate7
05-27-2015, 05:47 PM
Aj Jefferson.
Richie brown.

Follow the rules! J/k

If your 2 play well, our defense will be just fine.

MSUDawg4Life
05-27-2015, 05:56 PM
Ashton Shumpert
Nick James

gravedigger
05-27-2015, 06:01 PM
I'll go with Fred Ross and AJ Jefferson.

Absolutely.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-27-2015, 06:05 PM
Hey Dan, just a reminder from the board: it's not too late to move Shump to safety & relegate Coman & Evans (there is no difference) to full-time kickoff coverage.

When Coman is the best safety we have I'll remember this.

LC Dawg
05-27-2015, 06:24 PM
I say Clayborn becomes all SEC and Ryan Brown has a Preston Smith type Jr-Sr year jump.

Schultzy
05-27-2015, 07:01 PM
Nelson Adams
Rufus Warren

Claiborne is all conference talent for sure. Coman is good too but I want Peters to blow up and start early.

I'm predicting Adams to surprise a lot of us on the DL.

confucius say
05-27-2015, 08:25 PM
Follow the rules! J/k

If your 2 play well, our defense will be just fine.

Ha, my bad 7. Missed that. I'll go Ross on offense, more bc his opportunities will increase than anything else.

msstate7
05-27-2015, 08:27 PM
Ha, my bad 7. Missed that. I'll go Ross on offense, more bc his opportunities will increase than anything else.

Dude, I was playing. I'm the hijack thread king haha

Johnson85
05-28-2015, 08:54 AM
When Coman is the best safety we have I'll remember this.

This scares me. Maybe Coman was unfairly criticized, but if you tell me he's clearly going to be the best safety, I'm extremely worried. I was really hoping Brandon Bryant would surprise and that Peters would be very good as a true freshman.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-28-2015, 09:03 AM
This scares me. Maybe Coman was unfairly criticized, but if you tell me he's clearly going to be the best safety, I'm extremely worried. I was really hoping Brandon Bryant would surprise and that Peters would be very good as a true freshman.

Coman got a bad rap last year for being on the field with Evans. Yea he got beat a couple times during the season but so did Hughes & Cox. He was nowhere near as bad as some fans want you to think. If you had watched him this spring you saw that he is a legit SEC safety who will just get better & better. I think Bryant & Peters will be good but Kivon is legit & him being the best safety on the team will not be a negative.

CadaverDawg
05-28-2015, 09:05 AM

I think Coman will be good this year. I'm much more concerned about the other Safety spot personally. Evans or a recovering Market are our top options if I'm not mistaken.

Did I read somewhere that Jiles could play some Safety? Or did I dream that up? He looked great in the Spring game, and brought the hammer on a few hits. Or is he just going to be good quality depth at CB? Either way, I'm glad he's back out there and healthy.

drunkernhelldawg
05-28-2015, 09:06 AM
I want the most improved player to be Dak Prescott because that's the kind of leadership we're going to need to contend this coming season.

Coach34
05-28-2015, 09:14 AM
Need to pump those breaks on Peters. He's gonna be good but true Freshman have a lot to learn