PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Egg Bowl, I am hearing that...

BulldogBear
05-26-2015, 03:33 PM
...we are in talks with Ole Miss to move the game to Thanksgiving Night again, as early as THIS 2015 season. Does anyone know anything more about this?

SouthMsDawg
05-26-2015, 03:36 PM
Not a fan especially with 3 other games played Thanksgiving night. Playing on Friday would be better IMO

Alldawg
05-26-2015, 03:39 PM
...we are in talks with Ole Miss to move the game to Thanksgiving Night again, as early as THIS 2015 season. Does anyone know anything more about this?

Not disagreeing, but I would think that would be a ESPN decision and not MSU/OM. Unless your Alabama, you basically do what ESPN/SEC Network tells you to do.

It_Could_Happen
05-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Not a fan. I know as a student my freshman year I drove home on Tuesday ate thanksgiving lunch on Thursday and drove all the way back to Starkville and walked in 20 mins before kickoff. Leave it on Saturday.

thf24
05-26-2015, 03:43 PM
I know a lot of people like it but I'm not a fan... I have too much non-Mississippi close family who don't understand and consider us terrible people for missing any of Thanksgiving to go to the game.

It_Could_Happen
05-26-2015, 03:45 PM
I know a lot of people like it but I'm not a fan... I have too much non-Mississippi close family who don't understand and consider us terrible people for missing any of Thanksgiving to go to the game.

Agreed. Especially when you live in another state.

Jack Lambert
05-26-2015, 03:46 PM
Not disagreeing, but I would think that would be a ESPN decision and not MSU/OM. Unless your Alabama, you basically do what ESPN/SEC Network tells you to do.

In my opinion I think ESPN contacted the SEC office and said they want a game and than it was pushed on to State and Ole MIss.

Johnson85
05-26-2015, 03:47 PM
Not a fan especially with 3 other games played Thanksgiving night. Playing on Friday would be better IMO

What other three games are playing though?

Chances are good we'd be the premier matchup that night. Of course last time the egg bowl looked like it would be a premier matchup, ESPN signed us to a 3 year deal and we ended up imploding.

FlabLoser
05-26-2015, 03:53 PM
I like this if it is a multi-year deal. Preferably long term.

To have an annual rival game on national TV during a time when little other football on TV is a treasure trove of national branding. It is why the Cowboys play every Thanksgiving.

You can say we don't need the money. Actually, you can't. We always need the money.

Money aside, nothing can build a national brand better than having your best game on TV on the same day every year when there is little TV competition. I know a lot of fans hate this move. But to make a leap to the next level, we have to work on being a national brand. This would be a huge step in that direction.

Nobody else has cowbells. FEW others play a game every Thanksgiving. We need this.

Master Blaster
05-26-2015, 03:59 PM
Do not like this at all and didn't like it years ago! The holiday is for family not football! Let the pros do it but keep us out of it!

Coach34
05-26-2015, 04:03 PM
I absolutely love it and wish it would be a Thanksgiving tradition

SouthMsDawg
05-26-2015, 04:10 PM
What other three games are playing though?

Chances are good we'd be the premier matchup that night. Of course last time the egg bowl looked like it would be a premier matchup, ESPN signed us to a 3 year deal and we ended up imploding.

Lsu vs A&M on ESPN
Texas vs TCU on Fox Sports1
NFL game on NBC

FISHDAWG
05-26-2015, 04:10 PM
I have always been a fan and hope they do this deal

Leroy Jenkins
05-26-2015, 04:18 PM
Would we not have to forfeit when that scientologist Mullenz sends the players and coaches home for the holiday?

LC Dawg
05-26-2015, 04:22 PM
I love playing on Thanksgiving. Two years ago we had one heck of a Thanksgiving spread at our tailgate.

Drugdog
05-26-2015, 04:35 PM
Bring it on. Love it.

basedog
05-26-2015, 04:56 PM

Yelp, ever Thanksgiving! I quite going to TSUN years ago, so it only a every other year for me and most.

bluelightstar
05-26-2015, 05:30 PM
Hate it

Dawgtini
05-26-2015, 05:34 PM
Yelp, ever Thanksgiving! I quite going to TSUN years ago, so it only a every other year for me and most. Ditto

HereComesTheSpiral
05-26-2015, 05:55 PM
Love it, gives you Friday through Sunday to celebrate a victory, or drown sorrows

RougeDawg
05-26-2015, 06:09 PM
Thought this was already a done deal two years ago. We play on Thanksgiving when we are home team and A&M plays the following year on Thanksgiving when they are home team in LSU series. Has this agreement changed, Or it this just reiteration?

Dawg496
05-26-2015, 06:24 PM
This year it'll give us two extra days to prep for the SEC Championship.

the59dawg
05-26-2015, 06:28 PM

Would be better if we did not have to play Ark the prev sat, especially when play there every other yr.

LC Dawg
05-26-2015, 06:34 PM
Would be better if we did not have to play Ark the prev sat, especially when play there every other yr.

If we could get some kind of long term agreement to play on Thanksgiving we might could avoid this by having a bye the week before or scheduling a weak OOC game the week before like Bama and Auburn do before the Iron Bowl.

NCDawg
05-26-2015, 06:41 PM

I agree. I was at the Ole Miss game in Oxford in '98 on Thanksgiving night when we beat them for the SEC West Championship. Great ride home after that. What a fabulous Thanksgiving that was.

Quaoarsking
05-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Yall realize you can celebrate Thanksgiving with your families on Friday or Saturday right?

I mean, we already have Thanksgiving with my family one day and with my wife's family on another day anyway. As many divorces and step-families as there are out there, I can imagine a lot of people have even more complex situations.

So what's the big deal? We'll already be celebrating Thanksgiving with someone on a non-Thursday anyway, why not make all the celebrations non-Thursday and save Thursday for the Egg Bowl?

Dawg61
05-26-2015, 06:58 PM
I like it at prime time Thanksgiving night on ESPN when the game is in Starkville. When it's in Oxford I like it to be at 11am on the SECNetwork on Saturday.

I seen it dawg
05-26-2015, 07:03 PM
Some of us live more than an hour or 2 away and can't get to a game on Thanksgiving. I want Saturday.

Dawg4Life
05-26-2015, 07:22 PM
Some of us live more than an hour or 2 away and can't get to a game on Thanksgiving. I want Saturday.

Several have indicated that this is a problem so I want to ask a question and it is not in any way meant disrespectful. Do you just feel as though you can't miss Thanksgiving with family/friends? Is there some timing issue that goes beyond just the Thanksgiving meal?

I have a family and we are very close but MSU is a big deal to them too. I've had to miss Thanksgiving before for the game and it was accepted. In 2013 my family came to Starkville and we had a great meal locally then went to the game. I'm just trying to figure out if we are that weird or just love MSU too much.

sleepy dawg
05-26-2015, 08:49 PM
I am all about the Thanksgiving Day game. What better way to spend a pointless holiday than to watch MSU beat some ass.

HSVDawg
05-26-2015, 09:02 PM
I had hoped this topic would never come up again. But since it has, I'll offer one simple thought as to how our administration should approach this without any personal anecdotes. If Stricklin / Keenum are approached with the suggestion to move the game to Thanksgiving (again), they just need to ask themselves one question to determine their response. That question is, "Does moving the game give thousands of our loyal fans and season ticket holders a LEGITIMATE reason not to attend the biggest home game of the season?" The answer to this question is YES, beyond a shadow of a doubt. That should be the end of it.

Regardless of how easy or difficult it is for any individual poster on here to work around their family holiday season to attend a football game, the fact is that it is a very big hinderance for a very large portion of our fanbase should be plenty of reason to not even consider this, even if that portion is an overall minority of the fanbase as a whole. The brass at Ole Miss figured this out a long time ago which is why they have refused to bow down to the ESPN pressure since the early 2000's.

Todd4State
05-26-2015, 09:06 PM
I've always felt like it wasn't fair to ask our fans to basically choose between MSU and immediate family. Especially given what our fans already give to MSU.

I would be really pissed if they change the date this late to Thanksgiving because I already took personal time off of work for that Saturday.

I've always felt like this is more of a Scott thing- I don't think Ole Miss is really all that wild about playing on Thanksgiving to be honest with you.

People can throw out "branding" and "exposure" all they want- but there's another buzz word that describes this, and that's "selling ourselves out". The fact of the matter is playing on Thanksgiving is at the very least inconvenient for most of our fans whether they can or will make it or not.

Todd4State
05-26-2015, 09:09 PM
Conspiracy theory.

Anyone else wondering right now if Dan let the team go home for Thanksgiving and thus come out flat in an effort to drum up support for moving the game?

I don't really believe that, but it's interesting to think about.

RougeDawg
05-26-2015, 09:11 PM

Yes. Some of us live 300 miles away but have yet to miss but one EB since 98, home or away.

Homedawg
05-26-2015, 09:25 PM
I am all about the Thanksgiving Day game. What better way to spend a pointless holiday than to watch MSU beat some ass.

Pointless holiday.....interesting take

War Machine Dawg
05-26-2015, 11:13 PM

Totally agree. Not to mention it's best on Thursday for me personally.

bluelightstar
05-26-2015, 11:45 PM
Several have indicated that this is a problem so I want to ask a question and it is not in any way meant disrespectful. Do you just feel as though you can't miss Thanksgiving with family/friends? Is there some timing issue that goes beyond just the Thanksgiving meal?

I have a family and we are very close but MSU is a big deal to them too. I've had to miss Thanksgiving before for the game and it was accepted. In 2013 my family came to Starkville and we had a great meal locally then went to the game. I'm just trying to figure out if we are that weird or just love MSU too much.

I don't come from an MSU family and they aren't happy if I miss Thanksgiving to go to a football game. That's my problem with it -- it asks a lot of fans to skip Thanksgiving with family to make the trek to Starkville. By the way, we need to ask ourselves why Ole Miss never plays the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving when they're the home team. I think that tells you enough.

BrunswickDawg
05-27-2015, 06:34 AM
It all just depends on where you put you priorities. I love the game on Thursdays, and made the drive from Atlanta in the mid/late 90s. My family always did Thanksgiving lunch, which made it easy for a night game.

Why did we do lunch? Because I came from a big GT family, who used to go to the GA/GT JV game (which was a thing until the late 80s/early 90s). We made a ******* JV game a priority on Thanksgiving.

basedog
05-27-2015, 06:44 AM
Inconvenience to football fans who travel is not unusual. Regardless to the moaning and groaning about playing on Thanksgiving Day, there will be a stadium full of fans unless the team(s) have nothing to play for. It's one game every two years basically and I hate it for some who can't come to the game. But playing on National T.V. is a plus not a negative for Msu football. I don't hear the complaining about playing New Year's Day or Eve.

I understand the folks who hate playing it on Turkey Day, but 99% of the fans could care less.

BulldogBear
05-27-2015, 07:02 AM
I don't come from an MSU family and they aren't happy if I miss Thanksgiving to go to a football game. That's my problem with it -- it asks a lot of fans to skip Thanksgiving with family to make the trek to Starkville. By the way, we need to ask ourselves why Ole Miss never plays the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving when they're the home team. I think that tells you enough.

I've been to 17 Egg Bowls, 9 in Starkville, 7 in Oxfart, and 1 in Jackson, both with and without turkey. We used to have Thanksgiving dinner at my grandpa's about 10am in north Jackson, take our time enjoying the meal then head on up with time to spare. Good memories. I'm neither for nor against the game on Thanksgiving for reasons many have given. Good with either way...EXCEPT... when by doing so we are giving a competitive advantage to Ole Miss. If it is true that we will only be playing Starkville matchup on Thanksgiving Thursday, then that is what we are doing. When they're home its a normal week and when we're home we get a road trip to Arkansas with Egg Bowl five days later? I don't want that unless they go back to making a trip to Red Stick on the same day.

As far as this season goes, I'm in same situation as someone else. I took my vacation to coincide with going to Mizzou because I'm already off Saturday right!? I usually take off Thanksgiving weekend but decided not to THIS year. Want a hectic Egg Bowl Thanksgiving? Try working, not knowing if they're gonna let you leave early or not. Of the 17 I've attended, I'm on a streak of 13 going with my best friend since 9th grade, who is a Beardshark. The home "team" always provides tickets and dinner. I'm gonna be PO'd if our family tradition can't continue because of a change at this late juncture. We'll probably figure it out, but IMHO, this is a little later in the game to make a schedule change than is prudent.

ETA: I checked the schedule and the Bears DO get their **real rival** the weekend prior to Egg Bowl although it is at home. Although I think if both of us play tough game before a short week is "fair" if you will, still, they would be getting theirs at home. I don't like it.

Johnson85
05-27-2015, 08:20 AM
...If Stricklin / Keenum are approached with the suggestion to move the game to Thanksgiving (again), they just need to ask themselves one question to determine their response. That question is, "Does moving the game give thousands of our loyal fans and season ticket holders a LEGITIMATE reason not to attend the biggest home game of the season?" The answer to this question is YES, beyond a shadow of a doubt. That should be the end of it.

This isn't really a relevant question. Having the game on Saturday gives thousands of loyal fans a "legitimate reason" not to attend the biggest home game of the season. Getting to the game is always going to require a sacrifice for most people. For some, Thursday makes it easier. For others, Thursday makes it harder.

Johnson85
05-27-2015, 08:22 AM
Lsu vs A&M on ESPN
Texas vs TCU on Fox Sports1
NFL game on NBC

Definitely better competition than it used to be. Still think it's worth it for the 7pm ESPN slot. Nto sure playing on a Thursday is worth it for an SEC Network game.

I seen it dawg
05-27-2015, 10:19 AM
Thanksgiving is a big family production for us. So yes it's a problem to miss Thanksgiving to go to a football game. I guess when we are undefeated this year it won't be as big a deal and I will be excused to attend. But it would be best for Saturday. Saturday is best travellong for everyone.

Why in the hell does anyone want to play our rival when we have a game Saturday before? And I know they play too but I don't give a shit about them. I want us to be at our best. And our best is the extra 2 days.

I don't see the redeeming value in playing on Thursday. We won't be the only game on like the old days so there are other options to watch. We have arrived on the national scene. We don't need to play for exposure like we used to so what's the point in limiting our preparation.

Jack Lambert
05-27-2015, 10:31 AM
I do think it hurts attendance.

Maroonthirteen
05-27-2015, 10:36 AM
We will do anything for them. Even with a multi million dollar contract already in place and on TV every SATURDAY.

Also, my family, some of who are MSU fans, Missing Thanksgiving for a ball game (that will be on TV anyway), is unacceptable. I.missed a few in the 90s before kids...and it wasn't pleasant the next day.

Bottom line, to play the game on Thursday night inconveniences far more fans than it doesn't. Ruins family for many that have to work at the stadium. It is just a greedy, poor decision. You already have plenty of money and exposure. This one game won't make a mole hill of a difference for the program.

But....if ESPN can make a dime, it will be moved....(after all the other SEC schools turn down a Thanksgiving day game)...MSU will be there with legs spread.

Y'all enjoy. I'll sit at home.

I seen it dawg
05-27-2015, 10:48 AM
We will do anything for them. Even with a multi million dollar contract already in place and on TV every SATURDAY.

Also, my family, some of who are MSU fans, Missing Thanksgiving for a ball game (that will be on TV anyway), is unacceptable. I.missed a few in the 90s before kids...and it wasn't pleasant the next day.

Bottom line, to play the game on Thursday night inconveniences far more fans than it doesn't. Ruins family for many that have to work at the stadium. It is just a greedy, poor decision. You already have plenty of money and exposure. This one game won't make a mole hill of a difference for the program.

But....if ESPN can make a dime, it will be moved....(after all the other SEC schools turn down a Thanksgiving day game)...MSU will be there with legs spread.

Y'all enjoy. I'll sit at home.

Yeah. That too.

TheRef
05-27-2015, 10:50 AM
Or we can use the Thursday game to our advantage in recruiting. Who remembers games on that Saturday more than the game on Thursday night? What are 99% of you doing on Thanksgiving night after dinner is over? Watching football. That's with the whole nation. That's something that we can use to our advantage.

Quaoarsking
05-27-2015, 12:01 PM
Again, if a family dinner is a big deal to you, move it to Friday or Saturday. So many people already do that for various reasons. Nothing sacred about a particular day of the week, and Thanksgiving is the rare holiday where its pretty standard to also get the next day off of work.

MSUDawg99
05-27-2015, 12:04 PM
1) Heard on BSR this a.m. that LSU's AD (Joe Aleva - sp?) has a huge prob with playin on Thanksgiving. He said as long as he's the AD they will never play a home game on Thanksgiving at LSU. So who knows if the game will be on T-day or not since it's at LSU this year. A&M's AD however, is a little more open to the idea cause that's what they did last year & the game was at A&M so again who knows. I looked up all the SEC scked's yesterday. None, AS OF RIGHT NOW, are listed on Thanksgiving.
2) I'm neither for nor against it being on Thanksgiving. I can understand both sides. It is hard on students to come back 2 days later for a game. Hard on fans that want to enjoy it with family. But for others it gives them something memorable to do that day & can celebrate T-day on another day that wknd.
3) Another point brought up this a.m. on BSR, who does it benefit to have it on T-day? Less time for coaches/players to prepare. Harder on fans. Most local merchants are closed on T-day & they don't like it on T-day cause it would cause them to have to work, if they decided to be open.

I seen it dawg
05-27-2015, 02:24 PM
Good point.....where does the benefit come from and to whom? How is it a better financial opportunity for the athletic dept to make more money? Because let's be real that ultimately the deciding factor.

Until proven differently, the athletic departments goal in this is to make a profit....so I guess I answered the second part of my first question. But what is the benefit? I can't believe it's monetary because it's less fans in attendance in the ancillary things with the game. Less people spending money in town...so it's hurts the local businesses. Harder for families bc of the holiday. Harder for the students. Harder on all of the people involved with putting on the event.

What is the true benefit and how on earth does it outweigh all of the things that aren't positives? Someone explain it to me. And it damn sure ain't recruiting so Ref that one is way off scale.

I seen it dawg
05-27-2015, 02:25 PM
Again, if a family dinner is a big deal to you, move it to Friday or Saturday. So many people already do that for various reasons. Nothing sacred about a particular day of the week, and Thanksgiving is the rare holiday where its pretty standard to also get the next day off of work.

No one making this decision gives a rats ass about anyone's family dinners. It's economics. And I haven't heard one good reason that it's economically better to move the game. Is the network gonna give us a bonus to move the game?

Maroonthirteen
05-27-2015, 02:46 PM
Good point.....where does the benefit come from and to whom? How is it a better financial opportunity for the athletic dept to make more money? Because let's be real that ultimately the deciding factor.

Until proven differently, the athletic departments goal in this is to make a profit....so I guess I answered the second part of my first question. But what is the benefit? I can't believe it's monetary because it's less fans in attendance in the ancillary things with the game. Less people spending money in town...so it's hurts the local businesses. Harder for families bc of the holiday. Harder for the students. Harder on all of the people involved with putting on the event.

What is the true benefit and how on earth does it outweigh all of the things that aren't positives? Someone explain it to me. And it damn sure ain't recruiting so Ref that one is way off scale.

Yep! If anything it hinders recruiting. You can't bring a kid in on Thanksgiving day and give them a full weekend treatment.

It has to be that the athletic department stands to make a few extra dollars. That is the only explanation.

My theory, the athletic dept knows they will get the donations for seats and sell the tickets because they know people will buy them for the other 5-6 games. Also some will not be thinking about Thanksgiving in March- April. So you already have the money, who cares if they show? If ESPN is willing to give you a few more hundred thousand to move the game.

Like I said, greed. Or our financials are a damn lie and we are broke.

HSVDawg
05-27-2015, 03:22 PM
Again, if a family dinner is a big deal to you, move it to Friday or Saturday.

No offense, but I think you are vastly overestimating the level of control that many fans have over the scheduled date and time of their Thanksgiving family gatherings (specifically for their spouse's families).

NCDawg
05-27-2015, 03:46 PM
Or we can use the Thursday game to our advantage in recruiting. Who remembers games on that Saturday more than the game on Thursday night? What are 99% of you doing on Thanksgiving night after dinner is over? Watching football. That's with the whole nation. That's something that we can use to our advantage.

Agreed.