PDA

View Full Version : Better Home Field Advantage: Davis Wade or Vaught Hemingway?

ShotgunDawg
05-26-2015, 03:32 PM
Sallee wrote anther article today discussing this matter & ranked MSU 12th in the SEC in "Toughest Road Game" and Ole Miss ranked 9th.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2476055-power-ranking-the-5-toughest-sec-football-road-environments/page/2

I'm not really sure of the what variables Sallee used to make this list, but I think it's an interesting discussion. So here are my thoughts:

Stadium Size - MSU = 61,337 OM = 60,580 - EVEN. There is very little difference in 800 extra people in a stadium

Height - MSU has a tall stadium, OM has a short one - MSU, maybe height adds some intimidation & keeps more sound in the stadium

Endzone Seats - MSU has a horshoe & Ole Miss stadium is basically bowled with more seats in the endzone - OLE MISS. Louder for goal line situations

Field - MSU - Grass Ole Miss - Turf - EVEN, I have no idea which is tougher to play on.

General Crowd Noise - MSU was renowned last year for having a deafening stadium OM - VH isn't quiet, but I've never heard anyone brag about the instadium atmosphere - MSU

Home Record over last 5 seasons - MSU - 25-10 OM - 19-16 - MSU

All in all, I think it's fairly close, with MSU having a slight edge on home field advantage, but it's really just recent with the new stadium expansion.

What do you guys think is objectively the answer to this?

jumbo
05-26-2015, 03:47 PM

you answered your own question

Drugdog
05-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Whoever is winning. Winning brings fans and enthusiasm.
Looking at it strictly impartial , then I go with DWS. Shocking I know.
Their stadium according to my daughter who went to the EB last year " is terrible"

Master Blaster
05-26-2015, 03:54 PM
Of the 2 it has to be DWS just due to the noise created by the cow bells doesn't it? VH is just a beefed up Vanderbilt stadium nothing special!

Coach34
05-26-2015, 04:02 PM
We went undefeated at home- they didn't in 2014. Home field advantage to State

thf24
05-26-2015, 04:07 PM
Interesting question on the field. Turf favors faster players, but is that enough to offset the fear in the back of every player's mind that their leg might get snapped in two at any moment?

jalakin
05-26-2015, 04:40 PM
I keep seeing this debate about Turf vs Grass and everyone saying that turf causes more injuries. But from the studies I have seen there seems to be quite a few on both sides of the debate with a lot saying there is not a difference in the injury rates with the newer artificial turfs. Is the thought process in regards to artificial turf just a bias most people have carried over from AstroTurf actually being horrendous for injury rates?

ShotgunDawg
05-26-2015, 04:44 PM
I keep seeing this debate about Turf vs Grass and everyone saying that turf causes more injuries. But from the studies I have seen there seems to be quite a few on both sides of the debate with a lot saying there is not a difference in the injury rates with the newer artificial turfs. Is the thought process in regards to artificial turf just a bias most people have carried over from AstroTurf actually being horrendous for injury rates?

Yes, it's a bias. When someone gets hurt on grass, most just call it "Bad luck", but when someone gets hurt on turf, everyone blames the turf.

MadDawg
05-26-2015, 04:48 PM
Last time we won in Oxford: 2010

Last time the bears won in Starkville: 2003

MSU wins in Oxford in the last 20 years: 4

Bears wins in Starkville in last 20 years: 3

starkvegasdawg
05-26-2015, 04:54 PM
We have the crowd advantage. It's much more than 800. The second half Vaught is half empty because they're all out in the grove finishing getting hammered.

mic
05-26-2015, 04:57 PM
The DL coach at Vandy said the loudest stadium they played in this year was Davis Wade.. So I can only imagine what it sounded like the AM and Aub game..
So I think we can go ahead and say that article isn't very accurate.. What a shocker....

BulldogBear
05-26-2015, 05:03 PM
I've been to 24 games at VH and I can tell you one thing for certain that makes our stadium better, at least for fan experience. We have MORE ROOM. I swear they feel like 10 inches per seat. I'm a big broad shouldered man and I've been having to "spoon" with whomever my neighbors are, shoulder over shoulder opened to the side of the field the ball is on. It sucks. Gimme Scott Field any day.

bluelightstar
05-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Literally nobody has ever said Vaught-Hemingway is a tough place to play

Dawgcentral
05-26-2015, 06:06 PM
Kellum and Brad Lott are the loudest sources of sound at VHS.

RougeDawg
05-26-2015, 06:25 PM
I've been to 24 games at VH and I can tell you one thing for certain that makes our stadium better, at least for fan experience. We have MORE ROOM. I swear they feel like 10 inches per seat. I'm a big broad shouldered man and I've been having to "spoon" with whomever my neighbors are, shoulder over shoulder opened to the side of the field the ball is on. It sucks. Gimme Scott Field any day.

This all day. They claim to have that many seats and sell a specific amount of tickets to each game but it is not anywhere near the size to comfortably hold that many people. It's just a result of their little man syndrome always wanting to one up us.

TUSK
05-26-2015, 06:41 PM
gun to head, I'd give the advantage to MSU... slightly....

my Bammer POV...

CadaverDawg
05-26-2015, 07:46 PM
Best seasons in modern history, playoffs on the line....MSU holds serve at home, OM loses a NIGHT GAME at home to Auburn with playoffs on the line.

Ours were DAY GAMES giving away teams (Auburn & A&M) an advantage, yet our crowds were still publicized more for day game noise than OM night game vs Auburn with playoff on the line.

This one isn't even close right now. Not even close

DawgFromOxford
05-26-2015, 07:50 PM
Having experienced both, Vaught doesn't come close to DWS in my opinion. VH isn't very intimidating and I can't ever recall it being loud to the point where I had to yell at the guy beside me. If OM could find a way to get everyone out of the grove and into the stadium then it might be a tougher competition, but at the end of the day the grove doesn't win football games so they can keep it.

On a side note OM is supposed to renovate in a couple of years. They are supposed to bowl in the bleacher seating area

BiscuitEater
05-26-2015, 07:56 PM

Found a greater increase for ACL injury on turf in football but not in soccer ..

CONCLUSION:
High-quality studies support an increased rate of ACL injury on synthetic playing surfaces in football, but there is no apparent increased risk in soccer. Further study is needed to clarify the reason for this apparent discrepancy.

Latest & Best info is from Penn State Center for Sports Surface Research.

http://plantscience.psu.edu/research/centers/ssrc/research/synthetic-turf-injuries

Howboutdemdogs
05-26-2015, 08:40 PM
Guys, until last year, our stadium could be Ho Hum unless the bells are ringing. Now with the end zone enclosed, it is insanely loud if we let it. We showed some of the media how loud it can get, but we will have to continue for another year, or two to break the bias of the media. We will need other teams and commentators to talk about it, so a reputation can be earned. It is up to us to make sure that DW is the house that no one wants to visit and dreads playing due to the loud and intimidating environment.

On a side note, if we finish bowling it, it will have the sound thunder like Bristol Raceway with no room for the sound to escape. The high stands with cowbells in full swing will be deafening.

Billy Ray Valentine
05-26-2015, 09:15 PM
Kellum and Brad Lott are the loudest sources of sound at VHS.

Now that's funny!

Bothrops
05-26-2015, 10:00 PM
No way in hell VHS is more intimidating than DWS. Even if the two stadiums were considered equal, the nod goes to the one with ringing cowbells. This is simple.

Notice that since our expansion and renovation, we haven't crept up one spot in stadium rankings. It doesn't matter what we do, some things won't change.

monroedawg5646
05-26-2015, 10:14 PM
There's also the little fact that part of their "stadium noise" is manufactured with the microphones and speakers that are everywhere in that dump.

Todd4State
05-26-2015, 11:00 PM
If you want something objective, I submit one of my girlfriends.

Last year she went to the MSU/Arkansas game with me, the Ole Miss/Tennessee game in Oxford, and comes from a USM family. Doesn't care who wins in football and goes to tailgate.

Here are her observations paraphrased because I asked her.

1. MSU fans are more into the game and care more about winning than Ole Miss fans.

2. She said MSU was WAY louder and had a lot more energy and a better in game environment.

3. Her biggest criticism was our scoreboard having some glitches and we had some speaker issues. She said that Ole Miss's scoreboard didn't have the problems and they had us beat there.

Based on what she said, I would say it's tougher to win in Starkville.

FlabLoser
05-26-2015, 11:22 PM
I'd say that's accurate, Todd. Ole Miss knows how to use their audio/video system. The don't mercilessly beat down their own fans with ads. The audio is legible. The play situation-appropriate content. And they glorify their players (it's really crootin) with it.

But Davis Wade wins in all other areas. Our stadium is way more electric.

Dawg61
05-26-2015, 11:58 PM
Sallee wrote anther article today discussing this matter & ranked MSU 12th in the SEC in "Toughest Road Game" and Ole Miss ranked 9th.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2476055-power-ranking-the-5-toughest-sec-football-road-environments/page/2

I'm not really sure of the what variables Sallee used to make this list, but I think it's an interesting discussion. So here are my thoughts:

Stadium Size - MSU = 61,337 OM = 60,580 - EVEN. There is very little difference in 800 extra people in a stadium

Height - MSU has a tall stadium, OM has a short one - MSU, maybe height adds some intimidation & keeps more sound in the stadium

Endzone Seats - MSU has a horshoe & Ole Miss stadium is basically bowled with more seats in the endzone - OLE MISS. Louder for goal line situations

Field - MSU - Grass Ole Miss - Turf - EVEN, I have no idea which is tougher to play on.

General Crowd Noise - MSU was renowned last year for having a deafening stadium OM - VH isn't quiet, but I've never heard anyone brag about the instadium atmosphere - MSU

All in all, I think it's fairly close, with MSU having a slight edge on home field advantage, but it's really just recent with the new stadium expansion.

Pom poms and bow ties are intimidating plus Ole Miss HC has beaver teeth and Chris Kiffen is 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon with 4,588 NFL defensive players. Robert Nkemdiche takes boner pics with ladyboys too.

BossDawg
05-27-2015, 01:16 AM
Literally nobody has ever said Vaught-Hemingway is a tough place to play

This. Other than UMiss fans, I have never seen or heard anyone say that VH has an intimidating atmosphere. Before I was really a fan of either school, I had a buddy that went to school there during Eli's tenure and ended up attending many games along with a handful since. Even during Eli's last year when they won 10 games the stadium just never got raucous, at all. It had that social event vibe to it where everyone acted awkward when they did cheer, like they didn't know how to do it. Outside of that you had groups of drunks here and there that were loud, but annoying as hell. My experience there was rather tame, especially compared to Davis Wade....where I had a total stranger State fan literally jump on my back from excitement when Bump ran a kickoff back against Bama, and where I though the stadium was about to collapse when AJ intercepted John Parker Wilson for a 103 yd pick 6. I was in the overflow section of the east side and the stands were literally shaking.

confucius say
05-27-2015, 10:41 AM
If you want something objective, I submit one of my girlfriends.

Last year she went to the MSU/Arkansas game with me, the Ole Miss/Tennessee game in Oxford, and comes from a USM family. Doesn't care who wins in football and goes to tailgate.

Here are her observations paraphrased because I asked her.

1. MSU fans are more into the game and care more about winning than Ole Miss fans.

2. She said MSU was WAY louder and had a lot more energy and a better in game environment.

3. Her biggest criticism was our scoreboard having some glitches and we had some speaker issues. She said that Ole Miss's scoreboard didn't have the problems and they had us beat there.

Based on what she said, I would say it's tougher to win in Starkville.

"One of my girlfriends"
Don't let her read this, or you'll have one less. Unless she's down with you having side pieces, in which case, carry on.

Jack Lambert
05-27-2015, 11:27 AM

DWS towers over you where Ole Miss is like a large Highschool stadium. They do have a tall end zone area but that only effects you part of the game where our upper deck stays with you from end zone to end zone. The noise is trapped in DWS with the upper decks and the two Giant Videio board. It's just another one of those BS articles.

BulldogBear
05-27-2015, 04:35 PM
Some of you know I go to 8-12 games per season and not all of them ours. I've never been anywhere or at any game including at Scott Field as loud and rambunctious as we were last season. The absolutely most insane was Auburn's first two plays from scrimmage where they snapped the ball twice and turned it over twice. Nothing like it. As noted, this same article comes out with more or less the same rankings every. Single. Year.

These articles serve no purpose other than blow the usual suspects. Ask Auburn and TAMU how different it is. Bears will get a rude awakening when the earth shakes in late November like it never has at VH.

whosyourdawgy
05-27-2015, 05:06 PM
As far as the grass vs turf debate. I'm not sure about other places but look at all the damn knee injuries that happen in Oxford. I don't have a list and won't bother but it seems they lose a few every spring camp to knees practicing on that shitty turf and how many have been hurt there during the season? Somebody with the time and energy could do this

BulldogBear
05-27-2015, 05:10 PM
As far as the grass vs turf debate. I'm not sure about other places but look at all the damn knee injuries that happen in Oxford. I don't have a list and won't bother but it seems they lose a few every spring camp to knees practicing on that shitty turf and how many have been hurt there during the season? Somebody with the time and energy could do this

I hope we always play on grass and never go to any sort of turf. No self-respecting agricultural school would ever have artificial turf!

confucius say
05-27-2015, 05:21 PM
I hope we always play on grass and never go to any sort of turf. No self-respecting agricultural school would ever have artificial turf!

I hate it on our baseball field.

bulldawg28
05-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Honestly, it depends on the game.

Schultzy
05-27-2015, 08:37 PM
Some of you know I go to 8-12 games per season and not all of them ours. I've never been anywhere or at any game including at Scott Field as loud and rambunctious as we were last season. The absolutely most insane was Auburn's first two plays from scrimmage where they snapped the ball twice and turned it over twice. Nothing like it. As noted, this same article comes out with more or less the same rankings every. Single. Year.

These articles serve no purpose other than blow the usual suspects. Ask Auburn and TAMU how different it is. Bears will get a rude awakening when the earth shakes in late November like it never has at VH.
Yeah, that Auburn kickoff was crazy, the crowd and atmosphere totally affected that game. Looking back, now I see what a disadvantage it's been all these years to not have had a bowled in stadium. We should have bowled in first then upper decked IMO.

TUSK
05-27-2015, 09:01 PM

Damn impressive, my friend! I used to do that... How would you rank the SECW stadiums for "advantage", if I may ask?

Schultzy
05-27-2015, 09:22 PM
Damn impressive, my friend! I used to do that... How would you rank the SECW stadiums for "advantage", if I may ask?

I've been to all but Arkansas. The loudest I've ever heard a stadium was when Sleepy needed one yard in '92 at the bama 1 yd line in Tuscaloosa and we false started.

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2015, 10:25 PM

Not Bear, but I've been to all of them as well, & here is my ranking, not including MSU.

1. LSU - This one isn't tough. The place feels claustrophobic to me. Like it's closing in on you and things snowball.

2. Auburn - Auburn is tough & a very collegiate atmosphere. I've felt like the crowd has beaten MSU at Auburn before

3. Arkansas - I'm not sure what it is about Arkansas, but no road team ever wants to be there. It's a pain to get to, & they are always good enough to win. It's not so much the stadium as it is the entire experience that beats you.

4. Bama - Bama has a very professional, older crowd and you play in a very nice stadium. I realize we don't win there, but I've never found the atmosphere to be overwhelming.

5. Ole Miss - They always play with their hair on fire against us at home. For MSU, they have a huge home field advantage, but for everyone else, I think it's underwhelming

6. Texas A&M - The renovations may make things better for A&M, but, in the old Kyle Field, the fans were to0 far from the field. Sure, there were 80,000 in the stands, but it isn't really a rowdy place so much as it is choreographed. Because the fans are so far from the field, you felt like you were playing in an open field. To me, the great home field advantage stadiums make the opposing team feel claustrophobic, & Kyle Field doesn't do that. Great stadium experience, but not a real home field advantage.

TUSK
05-27-2015, 10:37 PM
Loudest events I've attended...

2009 UT at Bama
1989 Bama at Auburn
several games in Baton Rouge
Bama/UGA in mid 90s was loud too...
also, the "million dollar minute", for those that are familiar...

everything else is mickey mouse horse shit.

Todd4State
05-27-2015, 10:42 PM
"One of my girlfriends"
Don't let her read this, or you'll have one less. Unless she's down with you having side pieces, in which case, carry on.

That just means less I have to spend at Christmas.

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2015, 10:45 PM
Loudest events I've attended...

2009 UT at Bama
1989 Bama at Auburn
several games in Baton Rouge
Bama/UGA in mid 90s was loud too...
also, the "million dollar minute", for those that are familiar...

everything else is mickey mouse horse shit.

To me, crowd noise is only a portion of what makes a great home field advantage.

When I'm in a stadium, I know if it's a tough place to play or not. It comes down to the general architecture of stadium, surface, location, weather, etc...

The truth is that it's always crappy weather in NW Arkansas when we play there. We always play there in Mid-November when the weather is getting chilly up there. It's always a day game, & we have little interest in being there.

Bama is loud, but it's also very nice, professional, and has large sideline areas. Frankly, I think it's a fairly comfortable place for a road team to play.

TUSK
05-27-2015, 11:28 PM
To me, crowd noise is only a portion of what makes a great home field advantage.

When I'm in a stadium, I know if it's a tough place to play or not. It comes down to the general architecture of stadium, surface, location, weather, etc...

The truth is that it's always crappy weather in NW Arkansas when we play there. We always play there in Mid-November when the weather is getting chilly up there. It's always a day game, & we have little interest in being there.

Bama is loud, but it's also very nice, professional, and has large sideline areas. Frankly, I think it's a fairly comfortable place for a road team to play.

I agree that there's no question that Bama has the best, most professionally run facility... and it's not very "overwhelming" in most games...

I do know this, however... when AU, LSU or the like come to town, it can get very, very loud... we've a "lazy", entitled type crown these days....

BulldogBear
05-28-2015, 08:52 AM

Haven't been to every SEC venue yet, particularly with additions if Mizzou and TAMU. That's why I'm going to Mizzou this year 'cause it may be a while before we go there again. Haven't been to TAMU yet, nor actually B-D or J-H. So, I can't give a full ranking but of the ones I've been to I'd give LSU a slight edge, Death Valley at night plus drunk cajuns. At this time, I'd put us a clear #2, followed by Arkansas and Umiss respectively.

It might surprise you to know that one of the best, if not THE best atmospheres I've been to outside SEC is UNM. Perhaps it was just the way the game went down. I was living in Albuquerque in '94. Lobos started 0-5 or so. But finally something clicked and ended up 5-7, including an upset late season over undefeated top ten Utah. That was a fun year to live out west because the WAC was actually good, with BYU, Colorado State, and Utah all 9-0, and ranked in the top ten in November. There was a lot of excitement in Albuquerque at end of season so while I had been spending Saturday's trying to watch anything SEC (MSU-Ark was actually on TV!), I decided I better go to a game. It was a home game against UTEP, which is straight down south on the interstate. UNM trailed 21-9 mid 4th qtr but UNM scored 16 to win 25-21. Atmosphere was electric if smaller than what I was used to. I had a blast. It was really the moment that I decided I wanted to see every school in FBS (I-AA) play at least once, even if I couldn't make to all venues.

ETA: autowrong sucks. Cabins = Cajuns?

Maroonthirteen
05-28-2015, 09:26 AM
I can't objectively give an opinion on which stadium is louder. Even the slightest peep of joy from them sounds loud to me because it is just annoying. Also, I can never cheer loud enough for State during that game.

I will say. I like how they just went straight up with the expansion of their lower levels. Upper decks just seem to be so far from the action. However, I have always thought we beat them in the luxury seating department. What the hell is that above their east side? Also their largest area of luxury seating in the end zone, looks odd and poorly planned.

I definitely think overall, everything compared, we passed them with the addition on the north end zone.

Just my .02.

LC Dawg
05-28-2015, 09:31 AM
The atmosphere of a stadium is obviously directly related to the quality of team you are fielding. I remember a lot of the games during Jackie's reign, particularly some of the Bama games, being particularly raucous. Now that we've enclosed the north end and we are playing an exciting brand of football I think our atmosphere/home field advantage rivals most SEC stadiums with the exception of Death Valley at night. When all those Cajuns drink and party all day it makes for an atmosphere that is unrivaled in my opinion.
As far as Bryant-Denny I agree that the crowd is somewhat tame but when you go into a game playing the #1 team in the nation and you look up and see 100,000+ fans it has to be quite intimidating even though it may not be the loudest stadium. I hope this doesn't paint me as a Bama sympathizer because I hate those cocksuckers no offense to you personally TUSK.

scottycameron
05-28-2015, 10:26 AM

Bryant Denny sucks. Herded in like cattle, can't get out. You might as well stay seated at half time and listen to skynyrd for the 50th time. Miserable place to see a game.

Maroonthirteen
05-28-2015, 10:38 AM
Yep, you nailed it, LC. I've been to a few games at BD in bad years for them when it was a dead atmosphere. I've been to a few where we came in undefeated and the atmosphere was electric. Just depends on the matchup. JH is very impressive when there is a good matchup too.

TUSK
05-28-2015, 11:05 AM
Bryant Denny sucks. Herded in like cattle, can't get out. You might as well stay seated at half time and listen to skynyrd for the 50th time. Miserable place to see a game.

most of your complaints are common with big time football stadiums...

however, with some familiarity and planning, it's not bad from a logistical standpoint, at all....

additionally, the traffic situation is much better than some stadiums/campuses that have half the crowd...

finally, I'd rather listen to Skynyrd on a freakin loop than endure some of the crap on a lot of PAs & Jumbotrons... the Scott Cochran "yeah, yeah yeah" gets old, though....

TUSK
05-28-2015, 11:07 AM
The atmosphere of a stadium is obviously directly related to the quality of team you are fielding. I remember a lot of the games during Jackie's reign, particularly some of the Bama games, being particularly raucous. Now that we've enclosed the north end and we are playing an exciting brand of football I think our atmosphere/home field advantage rivals most SEC stadiums with the exception of Death Valley at night. When all those Cajuns drink and party all day it makes for an atmosphere that is unrivaled in my opinion.
As far as Bryant-Denny I agree that the crowd is somewhat tame but when you go into a game playing the #1 team in the nation and you look up and see 100,000+ fans it has to be quite intimidating even though it may not be the loudest stadium. I hope this doesn't paint me as a Bama sympathizer because I hate those cocksuckers no offense to you personally TUSK.

this is correct. the environment in BD is completely different when LSU, AU or UT is the opponent...

scottycameron
05-28-2015, 11:36 AM
L
most of your complaints are common with big time football stadiums...

however, with some familiarity and planning, it's not bad from a logistical standpoint, at all....

additionally, the traffic situation is much better than some stadiums/campuses that have half the crowd...

finally, I'd rather listen to Skynyrd on a freakin loop than endure some of the crap on a lot of PAs & Jumbotrons... the Scott Cochran "yeah, yeah yeah" gets old, though....

I don't know about all that but it is a shitty venue to watch a game. JH is much better. Even if you loved skynyrd to death it would still be awful so it's not about that. Most times I've been it's been hot which makes that place even worse. Miserable.