PDA

View Full Version : Bream recipes

Treemydawg
05-25-2015, 05:59 PM
I have been catching bream by the hundreds the last few weeks and I love the hell out of them deep fried. I was wondering if anyone had some different recipes to try being as I have a couple hundred in the freezer now.

SpeckleDawg
05-25-2015, 06:33 PM
Only way I have ever had them is fried, but I bet they are good pretty much any way you cook them. I saw one today that was lemon slices laid on the grill and trout filets on top of the lemon. I bet that would be great with a little butter and seasoning.

State82
05-25-2015, 08:14 PM
Don't have anything special either but they can't be bad no matter what you do to them unless you burn 'em. One of the tastiest fish that you can catch. Wish I had a couple hundred in the freezer.

Dallas_Dawg
05-25-2015, 09:20 PM
I bet cleaning all those fish was a pain in the ass! But good eating nonetheless

SapperDawg
05-26-2015, 09:37 AM
I have one. We made this a few weeks ago, and they were just fantastic. Bluegill Cakes (think Maryland style crab cakes).

Method is here: http://honest-food.net/2015/01/30/fish-cakes-recipe-wild-rice/

starkvegasdawg
05-26-2015, 09:59 AM
Don't screw with a good thing. Corn meal, salt, pepper, hot oil. Serve with home made french fries, hushpuppies, and cole slaw. It's always done that way for a reason.

Treemydawg
05-26-2015, 12:47 PM
I have one. We made this a few weeks ago, and they were just fantastic. Bluegill Cakes (think Maryland style crab cakes).

Method is here: http://honest-food.net/2015/01/30/fish-cakes-recipe-wild-rice/

Thanks Sapper, my wife makes something very similar to this. I think it will be worth a try. I will let you know how it turns out.

Treemydawg
05-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Don't screw with a good thing. Corn meal, salt, pepper, hot oil. Serve with home made french fries, hushpuppies, and cole slaw. It's always done that way for a reason.

I agree Stark. That is my favorite also I don't think it can be beat, but as many as I have in the freezer I was just looking for some suggestions on another recipe to kinda shake things up. A man can only eat so many green M&M's
before he just says f-$@ I want a red one.

Johnson85
05-27-2015, 11:50 AM
Fresh you can cook them any way you'd cook speckled trout and they'll be almost as good as trout or crappie. I'm not sure how much freezing them will matter. Once I freeze them, I fry them, but I also don't take the time to freeze them right by glazing them.

If you just have to do something different to give yourself a break, try pan frying some. Lightly batter them and then pan fry with some worsterchire and lemon juice in the pan. I usually save that method for fish that I think may have been frozen a little on the long side, but it's at least a different flavor from normal cornmeal battered fried fish.

drunkernhelldawg
05-27-2015, 04:12 PM
If they're big enough to extract nice bone-free chunks of meat, you could make some fish tacos. Overall though, I'd say that I've found something that I agree with Starkvegas on.

starkvegasdawg
05-28-2015, 07:08 AM
If they're big enough to extract nice bone-free chunks of meat, you could make some fish tacos. Overall though, I'd say that I've found something that I agree with Starkvegas on.

http://por-img.cimcontent.net/cms/data/assets/bin-201408/5f965a7b8d53c046500f830b084ec8bb_600x400.jpg

Bass Chaser
05-29-2015, 09:53 PM
Try marinating them in Sriracha then frying them like you usually do.

Natedogg33
05-31-2015, 07:23 PM
Try dipping them in French's yellow mustard before your corn meal.