Thick
05-25-2015, 09:35 AM
any thoughts?

BulldogBear
05-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Come to Starkville and be our head coach in waiting**

Coach34
05-25-2015, 09:51 AM
He had 3 losing seasons in a row- he deserved the ax. There are also rumors of him being sick

Really Clark?
05-25-2015, 09:55 AM
He has had a rough go of it the last 3 years. Done a nice job overall but the 1 CWS in 21 years didn't help his case to get another year and this was the worst year since the early 80's I think.

ShotgunDawg
05-25-2015, 10:03 AM
any thoughts?

I'll sum up Steve Smith's firing in one sentence:

"He had 3 losing seasons in a row, & has a 5'11" righty that sat 83-84 mph starting on Sunday."

Baylor started going down hill when former recruiting coordinator & now head coach at McClennan Community College, Mitch Thompson & Smith got into an argument & Thompson was fired.

Here is an exert from Thompson's Bio:

"Thompson is no stranger to the Central Texas baseball scene, having spent 18 years on the coaching staff at Baylor University. He joined the Baylor staff in 1994 as an assistant coach, recruiting coordinator and hitting coach, and was promoted to assistant head coach in 2009. From 1995-2012, he was responsible for recruiting every player with the exception of one. Those recruiting classes ranked among the top 25 nationally six times, including the top spot in 2006. Of those players, 72 moved on to Major League Baseball contracts.

During his time at Baylor, Thompson helped lead the Bears to three Big 12 Conference Championships, 12 NCAA regional tournament appearances, three super regional appearances and a trip to the College World Series in 2005. Those teams included four Big 12 Conference Players of the Year, a consensus National Player of the Year and a Golden Spikes Award winner. That success garnered him the Baseball America/American Baseball Coaches Association National Assistant Baseball Coach of the Year honor in 2006.

Thompson served as the Bears primary hitting instructor for 15 years. During that time, the players set team and individual career school records in 15 of the 18 major offensive statistical categories."

http://www.mclennanathletics.com/sports/bsb/coaches/Mitch_Thompson

Percho
05-25-2015, 10:28 AM
I'll sum up Steve Smith's firing in one sentence:

"He had 3 losing seasons in a row, & has a 5'11" righty that sat 83-84 mph starting on Sunday."

Baylor started going down hill when former recruiting coordinator & now head coach at McClennan Community College, Mitch Thompson & Smith got into an argument & Thompson was fired.

Here is an exert from Thompson's Bio:

"Thompson is no stranger to the Central Texas baseball scene, having spent 18 years on the coaching staff at Baylor University. He joined the Baylor staff in 1994 as an assistant coach, recruiting coordinator and hitting coach, and was promoted to assistant head coach in 2009. From 1995-2012, he was responsible for recruiting every player with the exception of one. Those recruiting classes ranked among the top 25 nationally six times, including the top spot in 2006. Of those players, 72 moved on to Major League Baseball contracts.

During his time at Baylor, Thompson helped lead the Bears to three Big 12 Conference Championships, 12 NCAA regional tournament appearances, three super regional appearances and a trip to the College World Series in 2005. Those teams included four Big 12 Conference Players of the Year, a consensus National Player of the Year and a Golden Spikes Award winner. That success garnered him the Baseball America/American Baseball Coaches Association National Assistant Baseball Coach of the Year honor in 2006.

Thompson served as the Bears primary hitting instructor for 15 years. During that time, the players set team and individual career school records in 15 of the 18 major offensive statistical categories."

http://www.mclennanathletics.com/sports/bsb/coaches/Mitch_Thompson

I see he has MSU ties.

ShotgunDawg
05-25-2015, 10:52 AM
I see he has MSU ties.

Interesting. I wouldn't be shocked if Mitch is in contention to be the new head coach at Baylor.

I think Baylor will look at him and Dan Heefner at DBU. Heefner is extremely tied to DBU, but Baylor would be a good fit if he wanted to make more money. Both DBU & Baylor are Baptist schools that rely on the DFW area for recruiting, and Baylor can pay a ton more than DBU can. I'm sure Baylor will make Heefner tell them no before looking at other candidates.

I seen it dawg
05-25-2015, 11:28 AM
The whole Baylor staff, Smith, Johnigan, and Thompson were all here together in the early 90s.

BankerDog
05-25-2015, 11:40 AM
Interesting. Our hitting Coach Dillon played for Thompson and Smith at Baylor where he won the Big 12 Player of the Year.