PDA

View Full Version : I know some here are really into women's fp softball. Would it make sense to move

Saltydog
05-23-2015, 09:42 AM
the pitching rubber back a few feet in ncaa softball? A lot of the games I've watched are excruciatingly slow to watch because it's dominated by the pitching. Again, not a huge fan of it but just wandering what some of the more informed folks here think. Just WAY to much slap hitting for my liking.

JohnnyQuid
05-23-2015, 02:07 PM
Idk the games I've seen are long cos of so many slap tap foul balls and doesn't seem to be any/many strikeouts. A 7 inning softball game feels like it lasts longer than a 9 inning baseball game

BulldogBear
05-23-2015, 02:40 PM
Of 100 games played in the regionals last weekend, 35 were shutouts. It's true that elite level teams often have one or two lockdown pitchers and the gap between the top 40-50 schools and the rest is VERY significant as in women's basketball. But I don't think there is anything that needs to be fixed. Offense is fine. In those same 100 games the winning teams scored 607 runs, for an average of 6.07 runs a game so basically win six to whatever. That's falls in a normal and acceptable level of offense, particularly given that these games are against overall better competition. The fact that there is an eight run rule actually lowers the average if you think about it.

As far as slap hitting goes. Yes, I prefer the gals that smack it but the slap hitting has more if a place in softball than baseball. They are often successful with infield hitting. Fast running, left handed slap hitting Is just part of the game.

843dawg
05-23-2015, 05:18 PM
I think it's fine the way it is. My house loves fp softball. The action is better, Not as many strike outs, the game moves faster. If you feel like it moves slower, then women's softball probably just isn't your thing. It's def a fairly fast paced game.

Really Clark?
05-23-2015, 06:09 PM
I would only move the rubber back if you started to see an influx of girls throwing 68+ at most schools. That is like 96 at 60'6". I agree with above about the offense is overall pretty good. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing adjustment to the bats or move the fence back some. Starting to see slappers hit HR oppo and that is a bit too hot. Expand the outfield a little bit and you might see girls hitting for line drives more. Of course, as more and more high level baseball guys get involved with Fastpitch the swings will continue to get better and the athletes more athletic.

BulldogBear
05-24-2015, 03:05 PM
To add to what I said about the gap. That seems further propigated by how, at least statistically, home field is HUGE in postseason. Hosts won 14 of the 16 regionals, with a combined regional W-L record of 45-8. So far in the Supers, home team is 15-2 with six already advancing and Mizzou in trouble. This likely means seven. The eighth is LSU which has already won game 1. In all likelihood, all 8 SR hosts will advance.

BulldogBear
05-24-2015, 08:50 PM
LSU advances so all 8 SR hosts advance will recording a SR w-L record of 16-2. In postseason the home team advanced 22 out if 24 opportunities and had a W-L record of 61-10. We need to host next season!

dickiedawg
05-24-2015, 10:10 PM
5 sec teams in the WCWS is pretty damned impressive. SEC has one whole half of the bracket plus Alabama.

Todd4State
05-24-2015, 10:18 PM
I think they need to move the pitching circle back a few feet to try to help offense IMO. What they do in softball would be like a pro pitcher being able to pitch from about 55 feet away.

msstate7
05-24-2015, 10:21 PM
I would only move the rubber back if you started to see an influx of girls throwing 68+ at most schools. That is like 96 at 60'6". I agree with above about the offense is overall pretty good. In fact, I wouldn't mind seeing adjustment to the bats or move the fence back some. Starting to see slappers hit HR oppo and that is a bit too hot. Expand the outfield a little bit and you might see girls hitting for line drives more. Of course, as more and more high level baseball guys get involved with Fastpitch the swings will continue to get better and the athletes more athletic.

Gotta admit that I don't watch softball at all. How many different pitches do the pitchers throw? I assume pretty much fast pitch and some sort of change up maybe

Todd4State
05-24-2015, 10:29 PM
Gotta admit that I don't watch softball at all. How many different pitches do the pitchers throw? I assume pretty much fast pitch and some sort of change up maybe

Rise ball.

Really Clark?
05-24-2015, 11:25 PM

Everything that an overhand pitcher throws and a rise ball. What you don't see but is starting to be added more is the off speed breaking stuff. Most every thing is at fastball velocity except change up. I think that is the evolution. Curves, drops, crops, cuts at differing speeds to complement the fastball and CU.

Really Clark?
05-24-2015, 11:37 PM
I think they need to move the pitching circle back a few feet to try to help offense IMO. What they do in softball would be like a pro pitcher being able to pitch from about 55 feet away.

The offense is fine. Compare softball stats to baseball. The team next to last in softball had 46 HR which would have been good for 6th in baseball. In every offensive category softball is ahead of baseball. Conversely the SEC era is also lower in softball. Which means that when the pitchers are on they dominate but when the ace is not pitching or is off, they can get scored on in this league pretty handily.