PDA

View Full Version : Website for individual CFB player snap totals?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-22-2015, 08:15 AM
Does anyone know of a website that has stats for individual player snap count totals in college football? I'd like to look at the numbers of returning starts versus total snaps from last year.

confucius say
05-22-2015, 03:11 PM
One of you with nothing to do figure this out. Put to bed the narrative that "we lost all of our starters so we will suck." Minutes played counts more than number of starts. Redmond, Chris jones, aj, Richie brown, Gerri green, Fred brown, Ross, Myles, clayborne, desper, and lee - that's 11 guys who were not starters who will play a ton. Are any of you worried about those 11 not producing?? Hell, 6-8 are upgrades.

Dak is back at qb. This is not being given enough attention. You have a heisman contender at the most important position in football, if not sports.

The only wr we lost were Jameon and rojo. Not to be mean, but Ross, gray, and brown are a major upgrade.

Lost a lot of production at te. But walley will be serviceable and it's te, not freakin qb, where, you know, we have a heisman candidate.

Lost a ton of production at rb. This is the one question mark at skill spots. Can we replace jrob? We always have good rb, if dan plays the right guy.

Ol will be same as always. Not dominant but solid. Don't know the position as well so not breaking it down.

Dl will have more depth than last year. Jones has to break out and we will be good here. Aj and Ryan brown will be solid to good.

Lb- like rb, we always have nfl guys here if coaches play right people. The browns and green are solid to great. Can wells be replaced?

At cb, Redmond is better than "the starter" love and Calhoun is good. Really, Redmond not playing 90% of time last year was stupid.

At safety, can't be any worse than last year.

sandwolf
05-22-2015, 03:59 PM
That would be an insane amount of data to collect. If you assume an average of 150 plays per game, that comes out to 1,950 plays per season for a single team (assuming they play in a bowl game), and on every single play, you would have to account for all 11 players........it would take a ridiculous amount of time and effort to compile that information for 1 team, much less all 128 teams.

TUSK
05-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Player Participation charts exist... I used to toy with them for gambling...

for the life of me, I can't recall where I found it and how many of the teams charts were compiled...

Big4Dawg
05-22-2015, 05:24 PM
There is one out there from the Auburn game. I posted it on here - if you want to find it like at past topics I started

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-22-2015, 09:59 PM
That would be an insane amount of data to collect. If you assume an average of 150 plays per game, that comes out to 1,950 plays per season for a single team (assuming they play in a bowl game), and on every single play, you would have to account for all 11 players........it would take a ridiculous amount of time and effort to compile that information for 1 team, much less all 128 teams.

If it's in column form, it can most likely be copied out to excel pretty easily and manipulated from there. I wouldn't have the time to compare all teams, but comparing versus the Top 25 pre season ranking wouldn't be too terribly bad. It would be worth it if it showed that all these people they were full of shit about the bulldogs haha

There is one out there from the Auburn game. I posted it on here - if you want to find it like at past topics I started

Any idea of the the thread name? I looked and couldn't find it.

messageboardsuperhero
05-22-2015, 10:23 PM

I'm not sure where you found this back after the Auburn game, but here it is:

https://pff-pffanalysisltd12.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Miss-St-D.png

PJ Jones was the starter and played 38 snaps- his back-up Chris Jones played 43 snaps.
Kaleb Eulls was the starter and played 51 snaps- his back-up Nelson Adams played 32 snaps. Pretty close.
Jay Hughes was the starter and played 28 snaps- his back-up Kendrick Market played 32 snaps.
Justin Cox was the starter and played 40 snaps- his back-up Kivon Coman played 32 snaps.
Jamerson Love was the starter and played 57 snaps- his back-up Will Redmond played 43 snaps. This surprised me somewhat, since I remember Redmond seemingly playing more snaps than Love last year. All due respect to Jamerson Love, but Redmond was the better player and will no doubt be an upgrade.
Tolando Cleveland played more snaps than Taveze Calhoun, even though Calhoun was labeled the starter.

The only position where there was a noticeable difference in snaps was at linebacker, where the starters played 55-60 snaps. But even then the backups still got about 25 snaps each. I'd like to see the chart for every game this year... It's pretty obvious that you can still be a very seasoned, veteran player on our team without being given the label of "starter." We won't be nearly as green this year as many are saying.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-22-2015, 10:44 PM
I found this link with games played and games started for MSU and the results were pretty interesting. If my math is correct, last year we had a total of 786 for games played in and a total of 286 games started. Out of that, we return 600 in games played and 115 in games started. http://www.hailstate.com/fls/16800/stats/fb/2014/indgbg.htm#IGBG.PLY
*someone may need to check my math, I've had several timer beasts and I'm doing this with one eye open haha

sandwolf
05-22-2015, 11:31 PM
If it's in column form, it can most likely be copied out to excel pretty easily and manipulated from there. I wouldn't have the time to compare all teams, but comparing versus the Top 25 pre season ranking wouldn't be too terribly bad. It would be worth it if it showed that all these people they were full of shit about the bulldogs haha

No doubt that if the data is already out there, that it could be compiled pretty easily......I just haven't found anywhere that tracks player snap counts.

RougeDawg
05-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Bump for Asschaps and Phyllis Steele since those are two of the more delusional prognosticators.

DancingRabbit
05-26-2015, 03:24 PM
This comes from Pro Football Focus. But I don't think they track every college game, only one or two games each week - even if you sign up for the premium content.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/09/28/college-game-of-the-week-razorbacks-aggies-2/2/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/

I'm not sure where you found this back after the Auburn game, but here it is:

https://pff-pffanalysisltd12.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Miss-St-D.png

PJ Jones was the starter and played 38 snaps- his back-up Chris Jones played 43 snaps.
Kaleb Eulls was the starter and played 51 snaps- his back-up Nelson Adams played 32 snaps. Pretty close.
Jay Hughes was the starter and played 28 snaps- his back-up Kendrick Market played 32 snaps.
Justin Cox was the starter and played 40 snaps- his back-up Kivon Coman played 32 snaps.
Jamerson Love was the starter and played 57 snaps- his back-up Will Redmond played 43 snaps. This surprised me somewhat, since I remember Redmond seemingly playing more snaps than Love last year. All due respect to Jamerson Love, but Redmond was the better player and will no doubt be an upgrade.
Tolando Cleveland played more snaps than Taveze Calhoun, even though Calhoun was labeled the starter.

The only position where there was a noticeable difference in snaps was at linebacker, where the starters played 55-60 snaps. But even then the backups still got about 25 snaps each. I'd like to see the chart for every game this year... It's pretty obvious that you can still be a very seasoned, veteran player on our team without being given the label of "starter." We won't be nearly as green this year as many are saying.

Coach34
05-26-2015, 03:24 PM
I'll work on this when I get time unless Engie wants it

Prediction? Pain.
05-27-2015, 10:14 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. While I wasn't able to find a resource for play counts, I thought that a similarly informative -- if somewhat less comprehensive -- statistic might be the distribution of tackles among our defense and the percentage of those tackles that we have coming back next year. Last year, we had twenty-six defenders with ten or more tackles, and of those twenty-six, twenty-three played in twelve or more games. Those twenty-six guys accounted for 930 of our 987 tackles last year, which is roughly 94% of the total. (And twenty or so of those fifty-seven extra tackles came on special teams or on turnovers.) After graduation and the draft, 58.4% of those 930 tackles return.

For a frame of reference, the only other SEC school that had as wide a distribution of tackles was U. Miss., which also had twenty-six players with at least ten tackles each. Those twenty-six guys accounted for 907 of U. Miss.'s 968 tackles, which is also roughly 94% of their total. After graduation and the draft, 61.3% of U. Miss.'s top tackles return.

Those percentages are surprisingly close given that U. Miss. returns seven defensive starters to our four.

Perhaps just as interesting is how similar numbers compare to those of other excellent defenses that lost lots of starters. Stanford, Louisville, Clemson, Washington, and UCF each lost seven starters from defenses that finished the 2014 season ranked in the top 40 of the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI) ratings. (Clemson was ranked at 1, Louisville at 6, Stanford at 11, Washington at 16, and UCF at 37. State finished at 17.) Clemson lost six of its top ten tacklers, and nine of its top fifteen. Louisville lost seven of its top ten tacklers. Stanford lost eight of its top ten tacklers. Washington lost five of its top ten tacklers, and seven of its top thirteen. And UCF lost seven of its top ten tacklers, including all five of its top five.

State lost four of its top ten tacklers, and only ten of the twenty-six that accounted for the vast majority of the tackles on the defense. Either way you slice it, that's 60% of our meaningful tacklers returning. So State's defense was able to perform as well as some of the best in the country, but was able to do so while spreading playing time around far more liberally than others that had senior-laden rosters.

And then there's this: Clemson appears to be a unanimous preseason top 20 team, and I've seen both Stanford and Louisville ranked in preseason polls that don't include State (ESPN and FoxSports).

Anyway, that's obviously not exactly what you're looking for (if anyone can put together play totals for individual players, I'd be interested to see it), but hopefully it provides somewhat similar insight.

MSUDawg4Life
05-27-2015, 10:31 PM
So ... are you saying playing the 1Bs is going to pay off?

Great first post, by the way.

ShotgunDawg
05-27-2015, 10:38 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. While I wasn't able to find a resource for play counts, I thought that a similarly informative -- if somewhat less comprehensive -- statistic might be the distribution of tackles among our defense and the percentage of those tackles that we have coming back next year. Last year, we had twenty-six defenders with ten or more tackles, and of those twenty-six, twenty-three played in twelve or more games. Those twenty-six guys accounted for 930 of our 987 tackles last year, which is roughly 94% of the total. (And twenty or so of those fifty-seven extra tackles came on special teams or on turnovers.) After graduation and the draft, 58.4% of those 930 tackles return.

For a frame of reference, the only other SEC school that had as wide a distribution of tackles was U. Miss., which also had twenty-six players with at least ten tackles each. Those twenty-six guys accounted for 907 of U. Miss.'s 968 tackles, which is also roughly 94% of their total. After graduation and the draft, 61.3% of U. Miss.'s top tackles return.

Those percentages are surprisingly close given that U. Miss. returns seven defensive starters to our four.

Perhaps just as interesting is how similar numbers compare to those of other excellent defenses that lost lots of starters. Stanford, Louisville, Clemson, Washington, and UCF each lost seven starters from defenses that finished the 2014 season ranked in the top 40 of the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI) ratings. (Clemson was ranked at 1, Louisville at 6, Stanford at 11, Washington at 16, and UCF at 37. State finished at 17.) Clemson lost six of its top ten tacklers, and nine of its top fifteen. Louisville lost seven of its top ten tacklers. Stanford lost eight of its top ten tacklers. Washington lost five of its top ten tacklers, and seven of its top thirteen. And UCF lost seven of its top ten tacklers, including all five of its top five.

State lost four of its top ten tacklers, and only ten of the twenty-six that accounted for the vast majority of the tackles on the defense. Either way you slice it, that's 60% of our meaningful tacklers returning. So State's defense was able to perform as well as some of the best in the country, but was able to do so while spreading playing time around far more liberally than others that had senior-laden rosters.

And then there's this: Clemson appears to be a unanimous preseason top 20 team, and I've seen both Stanford and Louisville ranked in preseason polls that don't include State (ESPN and FoxSports).

Anyway, that's obviously not exactly what you're looking for (if anyone can put together play totals for individual players, I'd be interested to see it), but hopefully it provides somewhat similar insight.

Uh, Yeah... Please Post More!!!!

That was outstanding.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-28-2015, 10:26 AM
Excellent insight and analysis.

CowtownDawg
05-28-2015, 10:37 AM
It doesn't track player participation on a snap by snap basis, but does give a fairly good overall picture of what we lost vs what we have returning.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CZxqLw_FBKVdwjgoqWwaOmCISOUCY4Gt-_vpQxano1g/edit?usp=sharing

ETA: Updated the spreadsheet into 3 tabs - 1 for whole team totals, 1 for offense totals, & 1 for defense totals

DancingRabbit
05-28-2015, 10:55 AM
Thanks, good stuff.

It doesn't track player participation on a snap by snap basis, but does give a fairly good overall picture of what we lost vs what we have returning.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RrvTbZ0HwNm4RTNg-iu5u1RSgpxP3GgcPMP7XqrOsQ0/edit?usp=sharing

Prediction? Pain.
05-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Uh, Yeah... Please Post More!!!!

That was outstanding.

Excellent insight and analysis.

So ... are you saying playing the 1Bs is going to pay off?

Great first post, by the way.

Thanks. This had been on my mind since I did a related post on FWTCT last week, but I hadn't actually compared any of our numbers with those of other teams. I may take a stab at a more detailed look later.

As for the "1B" stuff, I assume it's got to pay off this year, especially for the younger linebackers, who are apparently pretty integral to what both Collins and Diaz do.

Coach34
05-28-2015, 11:29 AM
Elitedawgs brangin today- good work fellas

Prediction? Pain.
06-12-2015, 08:41 AM
Took a much more comprehensive look at this and some related statistics on FWtCT:

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2015/6/11/8764923/fun-with-charts-returning-starters-experience-and-the-glory-of-x-and

missouridawg
06-12-2015, 08:43 AM
Took a much more comprehensive look at this and some related statistics on FWtCT:

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2015/6/11/8764923/fun-with-charts-returning-starters-experience-and-the-glory-of-x-and

What is doodly squat?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-12-2015, 08:54 AM
What is doodly squat?

not shit, nothing, etc...

missouridawg
06-12-2015, 08:57 AM
not shit, nothing, etc...

I assumed that. Never heard doodly squat. Definitely heard diddly squat.

Prediction? Pain.
06-12-2015, 08:58 AM
Borrowed from Kurt Vonnegut. Been revisiting some of his essays recently and had almost forgotten how funny he was.

Dawg496
06-12-2015, 09:50 AM

Excellent analysis, would make some of my Analysts jealous.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-12-2015, 09:54 AM
I assumed that. Never heard doodly squat. Definitely heard diddly squat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNHM4AL7LdU

dawgoneyall
06-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Damn!

Can you cook?