PDA

View Full Version : Baseball stat keeping question

Spider-Man
04-02-2013, 12:41 PM
If a batter gets on base and gets a pinch runner, and that runner comes around to score, does the original batter get credit for the run scored or does the pinch runner? Is it similar to the way that any runners on base when a pitcher is pulled are his responsibility and gets the runs if they score? Thanks.

Also, if this belongs in the OT, I'm sorry please put it there.

Will James
04-02-2013, 12:52 PM
If its sports it ain't OT. And the PR would get the R.

Spider-Man
04-02-2013, 12:58 PM
If its sports it ain't OT. And the PR would get the R.

Why is there a double standard for pitchers who leave runners on base when pulled? Is this spelled out clearly in a rule book?

Todd4State
04-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Why is there a double standard for pitchers who leave runners on base when pulled? Is this spelled out clearly in a rule book?

It's apples and oranges.

If I'm a pitcher and I let a runner get on base, it's my responsibility that he is there in the first place- and for putting the relief pitcher in a tougher situation. Thus, he scores my ERA gets dinged.

If I'm a pinch runner and I score, I'm the one that scored the run. Not the guy who put me on base to start with- who was probably presumably pulled because I had a better chance to score than him anyway.

Spider-Man
04-02-2013, 01:31 PM
It's apples and oranges.

If I'm a pitcher and I let a runner get on base, it's my responsibility that he is there in the first place- and for putting the relief pitcher in a tougher situation. Thus, he scores my ERA gets dinged.

If I'm a pinch runner and I score, I'm the one that scored the run. Not the guy who put me on base to start with- who was probably presumably pulled because I had a better chance to score than him anyway.

But the only reason the pinch runner is on base is because the batter put him there.

Quaoarsking
04-02-2013, 01:37 PM
ERA is a flawed stat, and runs scored is completely useless in evaluating an individual player.
I would suggest using sabermetric stats instead and ignoring the rest.

Ghost of Hank Flick
04-02-2013, 02:06 PM
But the only reason the pinch runner is on base is because the batter put him there.

Maybe it would be a more accurate stat if the pinch runner got 3/4 of a run if he scored from 1st and the batter that got on base gets 1/4 of a run and so on.

Pitching is a little different, but I think you should probably be responsible for the run if the guy is just on 1st base - if he's in scoring position it's got to be the other guy's fault since a mere single allows a run to score.