PDA

View Full Version : What would be the "better season" this calendar year?

CadaverDawg
05-21-2015, 07:43 PM
9-3 in football and a Cotton Bowl

20+ wins and a Round of 32 in basketball

35+ wins (14+ in conference) and a trip to Super's in baseball (barely miss hosting Regional in Starkville)

cbrunt29
05-21-2015, 07:51 PM
delete

msstate7
05-21-2015, 07:56 PM
If you're comparing to each team's results this year, baseball would be the best

gravedigger
05-21-2015, 08:07 PM
None.

Football would have to be better

Baseball is expected.

Basketball winning a game in the big dance would be my pick but none seem much better than the other

BulldogBear
05-21-2015, 08:07 PM
I think he means if all three happened next "academic" year, 2015-16 and if all three occurred, which would be the biggest deal. I'd choose 9-3 and NY6 Cotton Bowl myself.

CadaverDawg
05-21-2015, 09:05 PM
I think he means if all three happened next "academic" year, 2015-16 and if all three occurred, which would be the biggest deal. I'd choose 9-3 and NY6 Cotton Bowl myself.

Yes, I'm saying "if these 3 things occurred in the upcoming seasons, which would you consider the 'better accomplishment'"

bluelightstar
05-21-2015, 09:09 PM
None.

What's better than a New Year's Six bowl (wouldn't be Cotton because it's a playoff bowl this year), besides making the CFP?

CadaverDawg
05-21-2015, 09:11 PM
None.

Baseball is expected.

Basketball winning a game in the big dance would be my pick but none seem much better than the other

I worry that a majority of our fan base will see it the same way you do. If our fans truly see 9-3 with a Cotton Bowl trip as a "disappointment" in 2015, I think we could be in for a major meltdown. We should never consider a season like that a disappointment.

The fact that this thread isn't a landslide in favor of the football outcome, worries me about our expectations.

bluelightstar
05-21-2015, 09:13 PM
I worry that a majority of our fan base will see it the same way you do. If our fans truly see 9-3 with a Cotton Bowl trip as a "disappointment" in 2015, I think we could be in for a major meltdown. We should never consider a season like that a disappointment.

The fact that this thread isn't a landslide in favor of the football outcome, worries me about our expectations.

Yeah, I'm not sure what people expect to be higher than that. I would think a NY6 bowl would be the best case scenario honestly.

Schultzy
05-21-2015, 09:13 PM
Basketball round of 32 obviously.

I want better for football than 9-3, call me spoiled but we have Dak with Lsu and Alabam at home. Not to mention the egg here and an aggressive minded DC that fits here with a talented, fast group.

I can have fun at Dudy regardless but it's so much better when we don't suck at baseball.

CadaverDawg
05-21-2015, 09:15 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure what people expect to be higher than that. I would think a NY6 bowl would be the best case scenario honestly.

I agree. And I forgot the Cotton was a playoff this year....I meant it as a NY6 game as you said, so thanks for catching that.

Schultzy
05-21-2015, 09:28 PM
Best case? Why such low expectations? I know it's not a given but damn, we gotta chance with this group.

sleepy dawg
05-21-2015, 09:30 PM
I get your point, and agree that football would be the "better" season. I would still rather have the round of 32 in basketball, but it's only because I'm so desperate for being good in basketball again. I already feel good about football, and I wouldn't even be totally disappointed with an 8-4 season if it means we can go to the round of 32 in basketball this year.

Natedogg33
05-21-2015, 09:31 PM
9-3 and whatever bowl is the better season. These kids at school right now that think a 9 win season would be a disappointment, are completely out of touch. I hope like hell, in five years it's the norm. I just hope we don't act like LSU fans on the backside of it.

Schultzy
05-21-2015, 09:41 PM
9-3 and whatever bowl is the better season. These kids at school right now that think a 9 win season would be a disappointment, are completely out of touch. I hope like hell, in five years it's the norm. I just hope we don't act like LSU fans on the backside of it.

I don't think 9-3 would classify as a disappointment but coming off last year with a qb like Prescott and all the redshirting we've done it just isn't best case scenario. We have more talent depth wise than ever before.

That being said the West is still the best group of seven teams in college football.

The "better season" has to be hoops" because of how far we had fallen.

Pollodawg
05-21-2015, 10:09 PM
9-3 in football should still have us dancing in the streets. It wasn't that inconceivably long ago that the record was the other way round.......I mean if Dak goes out 20-6, considering our history and the monumental task Mullen faced when he got here, I would say we can't grumble too hard. These kids on campus now who are used to bowls and 8-9 win seasons have no clue how tough it was to stick it out when we were getting blown out by every big boy in the conference plus crapping our pants verses the likes of Tulane, Maine, and La Tech.

Pollodawg
05-21-2015, 10:10 PM
Now, I said all of that to say that there is no reason we shouldn't be an eight/nine win team year-in-and-year-out with the way Dan has built and redshirted. But anything over nine wins will always make my putter flutter in football.

Schultzy
05-21-2015, 10:25 PM
The original post said better season and the round of 32 is a stout season. But I don't think we should be having the terrible decades long football troubles anymore.

NCAA probation no longer exists so our rivals can't hold us down anymore. The money is just too big for the Conference to allow that going forward for any of its member institutions.

confucius say
05-22-2015, 09:28 AM
This is easy and it's football and a big six bowl. That would be a monumental achievement to be in back to back big six bowl games.

LC Dawg
05-22-2015, 09:57 AM
If you make an NY6 bowl it essentially means you are one of the top 12 teams in the country. To do it out of the SEC West is even more impressive. We would have to win a Super Regional to compare to that. Winning one game in the NCAA basketball tournament would be impressive for us just because we have sucked so badly recently but in reality its not nearly as impressive as an NY6 bowl or even a Super in baseball.

BulldogBear
05-22-2015, 11:16 AM
If you make an NY6 bowl it essentially means you are one of the top 12 teams in the country. To do it out of the SEC West is even more impressive. We would have to win a Super Regional to compare to that. Winning one game in the NCAA basketball tournament would be impressive for us just because we have sucked so badly recently but in reality its not nearly as impressive as an NY6 bowl or even a Super in baseball.
YES!

Dawgtini
05-22-2015, 02:58 PM
This

5 Star
05-22-2015, 04:02 PM
9-3 and Cotton Bowl. If we accomplish that, Dak will be in New York.