PDA

View Full Version : Ricky Woods new Head Coach of Starkville High

TheRef
05-21-2015, 02:05 PM
Ricky Woods, the coach who brought South Panola its first set of state championships is now the head coach of Starkville High.

Thoughts?

Homedawg
05-21-2015, 02:07 PM
Ricky Woods, the coach who brought South Panola its first set of state championships is now the head coach of Starkville High.

Thoughts?

He is the new coach at Starkville. But he wasn't the First to win a championship at panola. Willis wright did that.

TheRef
05-21-2015, 02:08 PM
He is the new coach at Starkville. But he wasn't the First to win a championship at panola. Willis wright did that.

Correct. But he won the first set of them. He may not have won the first one, but he won the first "set"

cujo
05-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Correct. But he won the first set of them. He may not have won the first one, but he won the first "set"

nm

War Machine Dawg
05-21-2015, 02:21 PM
where's he been since SP?

Bainbridge, GA for a couple of years then at Northwest MS CC.

LibraryDawg
05-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Most recently at Peabody HS in Tennessee.

War Machine Dawg
05-21-2015, 02:25 PM

Thoughts?

Hell of a hire for Starkville. He's a damn good coach. Honestly, it should have SP & Pogue scared to death. If Starkville can find a talent pool that isn't so erratic, Woods will have them playing out of their minds. Woods>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pogue

SouthMsDawg
05-21-2015, 02:29 PM
Isn't he a HUGE Ole Miss guy? If so I hate that with the D1 caliber athletes coming through Starkville over the next couple of years.

LibraryDawg
05-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Pogue is a joke. From what I heard he was all but begging SHS for the job. "He wanted to get closer to home," in my opinion, he has rode the talent Ricky brought to SP as far as he can and he knows it.

godlluB
05-21-2015, 02:35 PM
This sounds like a great hire. Don't forget that next year, Starkville High will also encompass all of the students from the Oktibbeha County schools as well, so the talent pool will get a little bigger.

I wondered about him being an Ole Miss guy, but if he doesn't keep in mind where his bread is buttered, he won't make it in Maroonville very long.

THE Bruce Dickinson
05-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Not walking into a bad situation either.

If SHS can field a decent QB they are going to be hard to handle.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-21-2015, 02:47 PM
Isn't he a HUGE Ole Miss guy? If so I hate that with the D1 caliber athletes coming through Starkville over the next couple of years.

No he's not. Coaching at South Panola doesn't make you a HUGE OM guy. Pogue isn't a HUGE OM guy he just knows where he works. Woods graduated from MSU. This is a good hire for MSU & Starkville.

5 Star
05-21-2015, 02:52 PM
Why is he coming back to high school ball? Clarion Ledger said he was NWCC's coach.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-21-2015, 02:55 PM
Why is he coming back to high school ball? Clarion Ledger said he was NWCC's coach.

He's been coaching HS ball in TN the last few years.

TheRef
05-21-2015, 02:55 PM
He's been coaching HS ball in TN the last few years.

Won the state championship last year too.

basedog
05-21-2015, 02:59 PM
I don't know Pogue or if he is a good coach or not but to say he isn't a good coach is confusing, didn't he win the State 6a this past season a maybe another title?

You have to at least be organized enough to put talent in place. And before someone goes postal on me, I could care less about SP or Pogue, just saying.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-21-2015, 03:00 PM
Won the state championship last year too.

Yep the guy has had major success wherever he's been. 2 championships at Ackerman, 4 at South Panola, & 1 at Peabody in only his 2nd year.

Madisonmd
05-21-2015, 04:26 PM
Ricky Woods is definitely not an Ole Miss guy! When he was at Ackerman used to hang out with my dads friends. Good guy!

Coach34
05-21-2015, 04:59 PM
Woods is a helluva hire for Starkville- has won everywhere he's been and won big. He will win a couple of titles at Sville too. And hayyyyyyyle no he aint no Ole Missus guy

War Machine Dawg
05-21-2015, 05:23 PM

Uhhh, no. He's a State guy. He was at Eupora and Ackerman before he went to SP. We got ALL the players from there. You can't judge any coach on the players at SP.

War Machine Dawg
05-21-2015, 05:23 PM
Pogue is a joke. From what I heard he was all but begging SHS for the job. "He wanted to get closer to home," in my opinion, he has rode the talent Ricky brought to SP as far as he can and he knows it.

We'd love to get rid of him. He's the rich man's Ed Stanley. Doing less with more.

Homedawg
05-21-2015, 05:29 PM
Ricky has some family that are ole miss people, that's true. And he will attend some games there, as he will here. But he isn't going to push aj or anyone else to Oxford. He likes state and is a home run hire in Starkville.

Todd4State
05-21-2015, 06:01 PM
Heck, Woods coached Derek Pegues of all people.

MSUDawg99
05-21-2015, 06:48 PM
Heck, Woods coached Derek Pegues of all people.

With Deshea Townsends SP roots he's probly got a good relationship with Woods & possibly Hogue too, huh? I wouldnt have a clue. Just a guess.

Coach34
05-21-2015, 07:10 PM
Pogue is an absolute Ole Missus guy. He played at Holmes and Delta State- but loves Ole Missus. He does not love Hugh Freezus.
Woods is a State guy for the most part- a good ol country boy. But first or foremost- he does his job. Very well. And he loves the kids and they love him.

Getting any kid out of SP will always be hard- just like Ole Missus getting a kid out of West Point or Starkville will always be hard for them

Todd4State
05-21-2015, 07:20 PM
Pogue is an absolute Ole Missus guy. He played at Holmes and Delta State- but loves Ole Missus. He does not love Hugh Freezus.
Woods is a State guy for the most part- a good ol country boy. But first or foremost- he does his job. Very well. And he loves the kids and they love him.

Getting any kid out of SP will always be hard- just like Ole Missus getting a kid out of West Point or Starkville will always be hard for them

Exactly. And IMO we've done pretty well at South Panola over the years- about as well as we could reasonably expect anyway. Kevin Cooper, Pegues, Market, Mario Bobo, Demetric Wright and his brother Ricky Wright off the top of my head all played for us.

War Machine Dawg
05-21-2015, 11:04 PM
Exactly. And IMO we've done pretty well at South Panola over the years- about as well as we could reasonably expect anyway. Kevin Cooper, Pegues, Market, Mario Bobo, Demetric Wright and his brother Ricky Wright off the top of my head all played for us.

You're missing Omar Henderson. Special teams contributor mid-to-late 90s. And I thought we were going to get Chris Young, but he went to Vandy to play with his brother. Word was he wanted to come to State but knew the crap his family would take if he did, so he took the easy out by going to Vandy. The PTBs in Batesville couldn't say anything since Antuan was at Vandy.

I also remember The Kang saying he always regretted not redshirting Kevin Cooper in '97. He played hurt that year and didn't do much, but he'd have really helped us in '99 when we desperately needed WR help. I'll also never forgive Croom for the bullshit he pulled with Bobo his SR year. Cut him from the team claiming he wouldn't make the travel squad when he was starting for us the last half of his JR year and there was no one on the roster capable of beating him out the next season.

Todd4State
05-21-2015, 11:34 PM
You're missing Omar Henderson. Special teams contributor mid-to-late 90s. And I thought we were going to get Chris Young, but he went to Vandy to play with his brother. Word was he wanted to come to State but knew the crap his family would take if he did, so he took the easy out by going to Vandy. The PTBs in Batesville couldn't say anything since Antuan was at Vandy.

I also remember The Kang saying he always regretted not redshirting Kevin Cooper in '97. He played hurt that year and didn't do much, but he'd have really helped us in '99 when we desperately needed WR help. I'll also never forgive Croom for the bullshit he pulled with Bobo his SR year. Cut him from the team claiming he wouldn't make the travel squad when he was starting for us the last half of his JR year and there was no one on the roster capable of beating him out the next season.

I remember when Chris Young committed on NSD at the gym in South Panola. He was going to say "Vanderbilt" but he got nervous from all of the dirty looks and said "Ole Miss" and then sent in his LOI to Vandy.

I never understood why Croom did that to Bobo either. That was just dumb and inexplicable.

dawgoneyall
05-22-2015, 06:38 AM
I know some people who are friends with Pogue. He is an bearshark fan. They wouldn't be friends with him if he wasn't a bearshark lean.

deltadawg99
05-22-2015, 10:49 PM
Pogue absolutely is & has always been an ole miss guy.