PDA

View Full Version : The Bears lose a Big Man and we gain one.. All is right again in CBB in MS..

fishwater99
05-21-2015, 09:51 AM
http://www.clarionledger.com/story/olemisssports/2015/05/20/dwight-coleby-says-hes-leaving-ole-miss/27631739/

Coleby to transfer...

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/recruiting/2015/05/21/aric-holman-mississippi-state/27704223/

maroonmania
05-21-2015, 11:38 AM
Howland is going to make life miserable for Andy Kennedy. Kennedy seemed to be constantly on and off the hot seat at OM even before Howland showed up even though I think he does a reasonably good job there all things considered. Howland being around at MSU is going to make his seat stay that much warmer.

BeardoMSU
05-21-2015, 11:45 AM
Howland is going to make life miserable for Andy Kennedy. Kennedy seemed to be constantly on and off the hot seat at OM even before Howland showed up even though I think he does a reasonably good job there all things considered. Howland being around at MSU is going to make his seat stay that much warmer.

I could give two 17's what AK's seat is like. OM is not a basketball rival for us. I want to beat KY, Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Bruce Pearl. Do I want to beat OM? Sure I do, I want to beat all the shitty mediocre SEC teams. If we can't do that, we won't be dancin' anywhere.

We have one of the top coaches in not just the conference, but the country. He hasn't coached a single game yet, and already has us trending up, both on the recruiting trail and getting us as fans excited about MSU basketball again. I want to win games. Ben Howland will deliver. Lets focus more on that, and less on OM.

BossDawg
05-21-2015, 11:53 AM
I could give two 17's what AK's seat is like. OM is not a basketball rival for us.

Amen. Their program is dead last in the SEC, even with the recent "success" under Kennedy. They are the only program in the conference without a reg. season SEC championship. We should always aim higher than UMiss, especially in basketball.

MSUDawg99
05-21-2015, 12:13 PM
Amen. Their program is dead last in the SEC, even with the recent "success" under Kennedy. They are the only program in the conference without a reg. season SEC championship. We should always aim higher than UMiss, especially in basketball.

Dayum right! That bein said, this a.m. on OOB, Bo said one of his Rebal friends brought up a good point regarding baseball, if Cohen hadn't struggled this season would Bianco be on the hot seat? Cause obvs more eyes would've been on UM rather than us at this point, in terms of HOW NOT TO BASEBALL!

maroonmania
05-21-2015, 12:15 PM
I could give two 17's what AK's seat is like. OM is not a basketball rival for us. I want to beat KY, Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Bruce Pearl. Do I want to beat OM? Sure I do, I want to beat all the shitty mediocre SEC teams. If we can't do that, we won't be dancin' anywhere.

We have one of the top coaches in not just the conference, but the country. He hasn't coached a single game yet, and already has us trending up, both on the recruiting trail and getting us as fans excited about MSU basketball again. I want to win games. Ben Howland will deliver. Lets focus more on that, and less on OM.

I'll stand by my observation. Your lack of caring has been noted.

BeardoMSU
05-21-2015, 12:36 PM
I'll stand by my observation. Your lack of caring has been noted.

That wasn't meant as an attach on you personally; I hope you didn't take it as such, I was just stating how I view the "topic" of OM in the realm of college basketball.

To me, they don't really matter. They're not quite irrelevant, because we obviously have to beat them, but they're close. Even in this lull that we've experienced, as painful and embarrassing as it was for us as a program, they still were not able to seize any momentum to extend the perceived gap they've made over us. AK has been to 2 NCAA's in 3 years and he still couldn't pull the top player in the State. Even at our shittiest, top basketball players in our area, especially in state, will look for a reason to play at MSU. Just show them some life, which we did when we hired a proven winner and developer of NBA talent; that's all good players want/need. How many high level SEC basketball players has AK gotten to OM? Chris Warren? Reginal Buckner? MH? Ha... They were good for OM, but not what I'd call elite talent. Anyways, I could really go on and on about this, lol...

Ultimately, as I've said in other threads about the other sports, and I know I've been criticized by some for it, but I just wish our fans could be excited about us and what we do as a program, without having to mention OM and whats going on up there. 17 those guys; I don't give a shit about them until we play them. I get it, they are our rival, but let this reality set in: just a few months ago we were in a literal world of shit in regards to basketball. Fast forward to today - we've just signed another elite talent (potential at least), weeks removed from signing the nations top guard, and we now have a proven coach and recruiter, yet, despite all of these reasons to be ecstatic about the future of MSU basketball, we still have to somehow equate all of this to some no-name big man transferring from OM. Who is/was he and why should I give a 17?

End rant.

maroonmania
05-21-2015, 12:44 PM
That wasn't meant as an attach on you personally; I hope you didn't take it as such, I was just stating how I view the "topic" of OM in the realm of college basketball.

To me, they don't really matter. They're not quite irrelevant, because we obviously have to beat them, but they're close. Even in this lull that we've experienced, as painful and embarrassing as it was for us as a program, they still were not able to seize any momentum to extend the perceived gap they've made over us. AK has been to 2 NCAA's in 3 years and he still couldn't pull the top player in the State. Even at our shittiest, top basketball players in our area, especially in state, will look for a reason to play at MSU. Just show them some life, which we did when we hired a proven winner and developer of NBA talent; that's all good players want/need. How many high level SEC basketball players has AK gotten to OM? Chris Warren? Reginal Buckner? MH? Ha... They were good for OM, but not what I'd call elite talent. Anyways, I could really go on and on about this, lol...

Ultimately, as I've said in other threads about the other sports, and I know I've been criticized by some for it, but I just wish our fans could be excited about us and what we do as a program, without having to mention OM and whats going on up there. 17 those guys; I don't give a shit about them until we play them. I get it, they are our rival, but let this reality set in: just a few months ago we were in a literal world of shit in regards to basketball. Fast forward to today - we've just signed another elite talent (potential at least), weeks removed from signing the nations top guard, and we now have a proven coach and recruiter, yet, despite all of these reasons to be ecstatic about the future of MSU basketball, we still have to somehow equate all of this to some no-name big man transferring from OM. Who is/was he and why should I give a 17?

End rant.

It's all good.

MadDawg
05-21-2015, 01:11 PM
Amen. Their program is dead last in the SEC, even with the recent "success" under Kennedy.

This is true. However, two months ago this was not true.

MSUDawg99
05-21-2015, 02:14 PM
One cool thing of note...Nov. 13th the Fri. before the Bama fb game, there is a double header bb game with both the men's & women's teams playin that day. Make a full wknd out of it Bdog fans!

Coach34
05-21-2015, 04:54 PM
Mic better get ready that weekend. That one is going to hurt come Sunday

MSUDawg99
05-21-2015, 05:16 PM
Mic better get ready that weekend. That one is going to hurt come Sunday

TRUE STORY! Yall boys betta tighten up old man! ;-)

blacklistedbully
05-21-2015, 05:17 PM

End rant.

Because, as was stated in those other threads you mentioned, Ole Miss is our biggest rival, in what many consider one of the most bitter, intense rivalries in all of college sports, notwithstanding their juvenile, elitist attempt to claim otherwise. Yesterday someone referenced commentary by Paul Finebaum, where he expressed his grasp of how bitter and intense our rivalry is, even as compared to Bama/Auburn.

When you have an intense, passion-filled rivalry with another school, it naturally carries over to every sport, and even beyond athletics. Hating TSUN, what they stand for, their history, their obnoxious, self-aggrandizing delusional, pretentiousness, false airs of superiority in the face of obvious evidence to the contrary, etc, is a perfectly normal, sane thing, and IN NO WAY detracts from our ability to praise and proclaim our own University's achievements, etc.

We are multi-celled organisms fully capable of talking and chewing gum at the same time. Where you get this idea that one can't both love MSU, follow MSU, discuss MSU, etc, just as much, whether or not we also hate & comment on TSUN is beyond me.

If it's hard for you to do both, then by all means, disregard TSUN to your heart's content. But for the love of Mike, can you please give a rest to this idea that others of us can't simultaneously hate TSUN, eagerly comment on their failures, etc, while also participating in MSU sports just as much as you do with your approach?

I HATE Ole Miss for multiple reasons that have been reinforced time-and-again, year-after-year for the past 3+ decades. They attract and/or breed a certain type of fan that causes the majority of their fanbase to be the giant, gaping assholes they tend to be. Are there exceptions? Sure, but so damned many of them are exactly like the stereotype we know that they are definitely exceptions-to-the-rule.

I will celebrate MSU with the best of us. AND I will glory in any failure of Ole Miss, whether it be football or tiddlywinks. I've been personally exposed to so much of those jackasses antics through the years that I truly want that program to fail in each and every way possible!

GTHOM!!!!

fetchinbones
05-21-2015, 09:26 PM
Longtime lurker and first time poster with all due respect to blackilstedbully, the rivalry and dislike the dogs and blackreblandsharkbears have for one another is not close to what goes on in Alabama. I was born in Starkville, graduated MSU, season ticket holder, bulldog club alum and MS resident for 44 years. I have lived in LA for the last 4 years and there is no comparison for the HATE that Bama and Auburn have for one another.

Flame away

Dawg61
05-21-2015, 10:59 PM
When Ole Miss losses players I want to know about it. Posting news on Ole Miss especially when it's negative is always welcome.

Todd4State
05-21-2015, 11:31 PM
Longtime lurker and first time poster with all due respect to blackilstedbully, the rivalry and dislike the dogs and blackreblandsharkbears have for one another is not close to what goes on in Alabama. I was born in Starkville, graduated MSU, season ticket holder, bulldog club alum and MS resident for 44 years. I have lived in LA for the last 4 years and there is no comparison for the HATE that Bama and Auburn have for one another.

Flame away

The only difference is I've never heard of a MSU fan shooting an Ole Miss fan at their trailer park.

Ole Miss fans prefer suing any way. "THAT'S SLANDER!!!"