PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk some recruiting

BeastMan
05-20-2015, 12:18 PM
-There are 2 guys that I was on very very early and are just now starting to gain some traction, Pisgah ATH TJ McGinnis and Newton Co WR DeRyan Wansley. Both are guys that will have an opportunity to earn an offer at camp and if they do so, I'd be happy because I know out staff saw what they needed. Position is a question with McGinnis but I see him as a BMac/Dez type in college. Wansley is a big WR that will likely grow inside. Similar to Farrod Green last year but I think Wansley is a little more WR. McGinnis highlights (http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4069671/highlights/256440375/v2) Wansley highlights (http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1446865/highlights)

-There is some talk at QB about who the guy will be. Personally, I think Hurts is A&M bound. The guy I really like who I think MSU should go all-in on is Sawyer Smith. He's perfect for Mullen's system. Smith highlights (http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1701269/highlights/167810382/v2)

-Scott Lashley... Nothing to worry about here

-Let's talk the Meridian guys. Losing Lenton hurts because I really like his game. Looks OM bound. That said, if you told me at the beginning of the cycle I could only have 2 from Meridian and it was Zaire Jones and Raekwon Davis, I would have signed that without blinking conceding the other 2 to OM. Not trying to downplay DT Julius Turner; he'll end up at a great school just don't think its MSU or OM.

-Piggy backing off the last topic is who gets the safety spot that just came open? Since MSU will not continue to recruit Lenton I see that spot going to LaMarques Thomas at Clinton. He had a chance to earn a spot regardless at camp but now I think its his to lose. He reminds me of Nickoe. Surely wouldn't hurt with Cam Akers next year either.... Thomas highlights (http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2761212/highlights/232291375/v2)

-Lets talk the DL class. Caleb Tillman already in the house. If State closes with Kobe Jones, Damien Dickens, and Jeffrey Simmons I'd be beyond ecstatic. To boot, I think MSU is in really good shape for that to be possible.

-I'm a really big fan of Nigel Knott. He's such a good athlete but just scratching the surface at CB. He has monster upside. If he was to stay instate, which I'm leaning he won't right now, I wouldn't trade MSU's spot.

-Let's talk the 3 uncommitted instate ATHs. MSU is in great shape with Keshon Heard, Nero Nelson, and Jerriko Morris. The question is if there is a sot for all 3. The other question is what position. I'm really not sure but I think the safety, CB, WR, and TE board gets sorted out at camp when these guys get a look at certain positions.

-Feel free to add or discuss anything else recruiting related in this thread.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Great rundown BeastMan to add my thoughts.

I think McGinnis has a way better shot of earning an offer than Wansley. I love McGinnis as much as you do but I don't like Wansley as much (I know you're a big fan).

Hurts may be A&M bound but they aren't nearly as confident on Hurts as they were 2 months ago. I do agree that Sawyer was born to play QB in Mullen's system. Hurts is the #1 guy on the board now & the only QB who could commit right now but Sawyer is camping in early June to throw for Mullen. If he looks good there's no way that Mullen doesn't take his commitment if he wants to offer it before Hurts is ready to decide.

I really like LaMarques Thomas also. He's a very similar player to Lenton. I think he earns his offer at the June camps & wouldn't surprise me if he committed sometime between then & Big Dawg camp.

The DL class is loaded. There's starting to rumbles that Caleb Tillman may not remain in this class. I can't say that for certain but with the amount of instate DL this year if the talent is comparable you go with the instate guys. With us looking great with Kobe Jones, Damion Dickens, Kaderrion Mason, Raekwon Davis (although he can play OT or DT), Tre Brown or Deion Pope, & Jeffery Simmons. Caleb may end up being odd man out.

I agree on Nigel he's a better athlete than cornerback right now but I have no doubt he is going to be a big time player in a few years. If he stays instate it's 100% MSU. Not 90% not 95% but 100%. Only problem is I can easily see him heading OOS. Whether it's Bama or FSU or even Oregon. Him going OOS won't be a shock but we're going to make it as hard on him as possible.

Jeriko & Nero are takes IMO. Jeriko at WR & Nero as an ath either WR or DB. I think we need to see more of Heard in camp before he can commit. Not saying he's not good but he's the biggest unknown out of all the instate guys.

Camps this year will be an even bigger deal this year because we have a lot of talented kids we're on but not a lot of spots. These guys better come to work & show out at the June camps & Big Dawg camps this year.

Irondawg
05-20-2015, 12:41 PM
This is the big year to get another good QB unless you think Cord is walking through that door.

I lean Hurts to A&M but our depth chart is more appealling as he'd be pretty easily set up to be a 2-year starter.

missouridawg
05-20-2015, 12:44 PM
When are the camp dates? Big Dawg is usually in July, right?

Irondawg
05-20-2015, 12:45 PM
what about cooper - if he doesn't show to be an absolute beast at DE in JUCO he's going to be hard to keep imo

Ifyouonlyknew
05-20-2015, 12:52 PM
When are the camp dates? Big Dawg is usually in July, right?

June camps last from the 2nd - 13th with various 1 day camps & 7 on 7 tournaments & a 3 day camp in the middle. Big Dawg camp is July 17th.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-20-2015, 12:53 PM
what about cooper - if he doesn't show to be an absolute beast at DE in JUCO he's going to be hard to keep imo

I'm not counting on Cooper being in the class.

BeastMan
05-20-2015, 01:01 PM
I'm not counting on Cooper being in the class.

If he's not an immediate impact guy, no need for him to be in.

BeastMan
05-20-2015, 01:02 PM
IfYouOnlyKnew,

What position do you think on Keshon Heard? Slot, CB, or take his commitment and find out at camp?

SouthMsDawg
05-20-2015, 01:03 PM
If he's not an immediate impact guy, no need for him to be in.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

He's going to be playing DE exclusively for Co-Lin this fall anyway, and like IFYOUONLYKNEW noted, the state of MS is LOADED with DL

Ifyouonlyknew
05-20-2015, 01:04 PM
IfYouOnlyKnew,

What position do you think on Keshon Heard? Slot, CB, or take his commitment and find out at camp?

CB

BeastMan
05-20-2015, 01:05 PM
if Tillman was to not be in the class who does that help most? Kederrion Mason or a juco?

Ifyouonlyknew
05-20-2015, 01:06 PM
if Tillman was to not be in the class who does that help most? Kederrion Mason or a juco?

Kaderrion Mason IMO.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-20-2015, 01:47 PM
Only problem is I can easily see him heading OOS. Whether it's Bama or FSU or even Oregon. Him going OOS won't be a shock but we're going to make it as hard on him as possible.

Damn, I hate to hear that. If he does go OOS, at least go anywhere outside of the SEC LOL.