PDA

View Full Version : Tulane AD says Mississippi State not "attractive" enough

TheRef
05-20-2015, 08:00 AM
You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2015/05/tulane_twitter_mailbag_mississ.html?utm_source=dlv r.it&utm_medium=twitter

Green Wave executive associate athletic director Brandon Macneill said the decision to kick the game was made because it was tripping up planning future series with "attractive" opponents. He couldn't say what schools Tulane was looking to establish a contract with because the negotiations are finalized but that led to a lot of talk on twitter about the issue.

Dawg Corps
05-20-2015, 08:05 AM
I would think that any AAC team would find a game against an SEC team to be "attractive."

TXDawg
05-20-2015, 08:06 AM
We're certainly not "attractive" if they're looking for an easy win to help bowl eligibility. That's the only way his comment makes sense.

Martianlander
05-20-2015, 08:24 AM
I suppose a 52 to 0 drubbing is not very attractive.

Ralph
05-20-2015, 08:28 AM
Shirley he means they can get paid more to get their ass beat by someone else. That's the only way this makes sense.

BulldogBear
05-20-2015, 08:47 AM
We're certainly not "attractive" if they're looking for an easy win to help bowl eligibility. That's the only way his comment makes sense.

I still think it may be this. They're trending up and looking to get to bowls.

fishwater99
05-20-2015, 08:49 AM
He said it was tripping up future series, ie.. more than one game. It was not a knock on MSU..

"it was tripping up planning future series with "attractive" opponents"

bluelightstar
05-20-2015, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I think this is misinterpreted. This needs the context about them wanting to get a home game, them wanting to move next year's game, and the recognition that this game has been moved several times already. Moving it again would make it harder for them to schedule -- and they said the thing that made most sense was simply canceling it.

JoseBrown
05-20-2015, 11:04 AM
He said it was tripping up future series, ie.. more than one game. It was not a knock on MSU..

"it was tripping up planning future series with "attractive" opponents"

This is exactly the way I read it...or interpreted it too.

FlabLoser
05-20-2015, 11:17 AM
Shirley he means they can get paid more to get their ass beat by someone else. That's the only way this makes sense.

Bingo. Tulane was getting paid 1998 money to play this game. Makes good business sense to back out and grab 2-3x more money.

BeastMan
05-20-2015, 11:21 AM
That's actually not what he said at all but carry on

TheRef
05-20-2015, 11:25 AM
Well my bad....Guess I misinterpreted it.

BeastMan
05-20-2015, 11:32 AM
Well my bad....Guess I misinterpreted it.

Tulane fans are pissed at the AD that they cancelled an SEC game. Of course he's not going to say he was going to replace with an "attractive" opponent. He couldn't say "Well we cancelled an SEC game, paid 350k, and now we'll go get a mid-major opponent."

FlabLoser
05-20-2015, 11:38 AM
Tulane fans are pissed at the AD that they cancelled an SEC game. Of course he's not going to say he was going to replace with an "attractive" opponent. He couldn't say "Well we cancelled an SEC game, paid 350k, and now we'll go get a mid-major opponent."

I think they could pull $750,000-$1,000,000 to play a P5. Fallout from big ESPN money is doormats getting paid big bucks to be raped.

Coach34
05-20-2015, 11:48 AM
Tulane is looking more for a win instead of a payday

Aces High
05-20-2015, 11:56 AM
We need to do a series with tulane. Their new stadium is nice and sells beer. Great road trip and close to home

biscuit
05-20-2015, 12:00 PM

And don't call me Shirley

TrapGame
05-20-2015, 01:56 PM
Anybody remember the infamous Tulane 2005 "Thanks for the check!"?

Damn, we couldn't stop Forte that night to save our lives.

RougeDawg
05-20-2015, 02:14 PM
We need to do a series with tulane. Their new stadium is nice and sells beer. Great road trip and close to home

^^^This^^^ And I can walk over a block to the game. Can't wait for that day.

FlabLoser
05-20-2015, 02:29 PM

Are they in their new stadium yet?

Aces High
05-20-2015, 03:03 PM
Are they in their new stadium yet?

Yes. This fall will be their second year

notoriousdog
05-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Tulane is looking more for a win instead of a payday

Bingo. Curtis Johnson will be coaching for his job in 2016 if 2015 doesn't go well. They are trying to soften the schedule.

Todd4State
05-20-2015, 05:07 PM
They want to play people like UMass and Syracuse- places that a lot of their students are from.

And they know that we would absolutely kick their ass.

Also- I was at the last MSU/Tulane football game which was a LOT of fun. And the Tulane people were amazed at how many people we brought. I'm pretty sure we outnumbered the Tulane crowd and MSU fans filled the lower bowl of the Superdome. Basically, we turned it into a home game for us. That has to be on the AD's mind as well as far as building their program.

Todd4State
05-20-2015, 05:09 PM

If Tulane fans want to play a SEC team, and we want to play Tulane, maybe we can work out something in the future with them. They're probably not going to want to totally pad their schedule either to the point where playing a SEC team is going to destroy them.

Todd4State
05-20-2015, 05:11 PM
Bingo. Curtis Johnson will be coaching for his job in 2016 if 2015 doesn't go well. They are trying to soften the schedule.

I don't know about that. He took them to a bowl a couple of years ago and went 4-8 with a very young team. I think it would have to be really bad this year for him to be on the hot seat.

MSUDawg4Life
05-20-2015, 05:20 PM
There are few teams (if any) "more attractive" than us that Tulane can beat. If they really want to bring in a bigger name team, then reasoning is money and publicity not a win.

Johnson85
05-20-2015, 05:25 PM
There are few teams (if any) "more attractive" than us that Tulane can beat. If they really want to bring in a bigger name team, then reasoning is money and publicity not a win.

"More attractive" = easier win or at least less embarrassing from fan support, not a bigger name.

Playing a MSU team that will have more fans on their campus and beat the crap out of them is not going to help them recruit. Getting beat or getting out supported on their home campus will be bad. $350k to avoid both at the same time (assuming they can replace it easily with a home and home which they probably can) is a pretty good bargain.

MSUDawg4Life
05-20-2015, 05:36 PM
"More attractive" = easier win or at least less embarrassing from fan support, not a bigger name.

Playing a MSU team that will have more fans on their campus and beat the crap out of them is not going to help them recruit. Getting beat or getting out supported on their home campus will be bad. $350k to avoid both at the same time (assuming they can replace it easily with a home and home which they probably can) is a pretty good bargain.

Interesting choice of words if that is what they mean by more attractive. A team they can beat and a team that won't outdraw them in their stadium in a possible return game won't be more attractive than MSU on a national scale. More expedient or beneficial for their program maybe, but not more attractive.

CottonDog
05-20-2015, 10:42 PM
I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

TUSK
05-21-2015, 01:29 AM
as many have alluded to, "more attractive" = "(bigtime) SEC/P5 ass whippin' + more frogskins"...

I believe it was Rouge that first brought it up... not certain.

BeastMan
05-21-2015, 09:45 AM
Will yall quit saying "more attractive". Tulane's AD didn't say that. No one said. Read his quote carefully please. In no way, shape, or form did anyone say MSU wasn't attractive enough or that they needed a more attractive opponent.

BeastMan
05-21-2015, 09:46 AM
If Tulane fans want to play a SEC team, and we want to play Tulane, maybe we can work out something in the future with them. They're probably not going to want to totally pad their schedule either to the point where playing a SEC team is going to destroy them.

If they get there pick of SEC teams they want LSU. There is some history there. LSU doesn't want to play them though.