PDA

View Full Version : Summer baseball lists on Hail State com

MsStateBaseball
05-19-2015, 02:45 PM
For sure, those 18 aren't transferring, 8 going to Cape. Young, Stover, Preston Brown, Spruill, Swinarski, Waddell, Mintz not on list (these guys are healthy) so I'm assuming they are gone. Still up in air if any of the 18 will get drafted and decide to go. You never know.

Good news to me is Lovelady, Michael Smith, Holland, Daniel Brown, Gordon are coming back and not transferring. I like all these guys one way or the other. Elliott to me is a long shot to make the team is back.

I will try and find out about guys not on the list.

MsStateBaseball
05-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Also, I know for a fact last years list had injured not playing summer at the bottom, not this year.

Political Hack
05-19-2015, 02:48 PM
linkity?

MsStateBaseball
05-19-2015, 02:54 PM
http://www.hailstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=16800&ATCLID=210098101

smootness
05-19-2015, 02:55 PM
I never really understood why Swinarski came here instead of playing his senior year in HS, but it's going to really stink if we lose him without ever really taking advantage of his talent. That is the type of guy that is tough to get to campus, and he will have done nothing for us.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2015, 03:00 PM
I do not like Brown, Mintz, & Swinarski leaving, if true. The others I'm fine with

CadaverDawg
05-19-2015, 03:04 PM
How is it determined where they go? Do the kids have any choice, or are they invited, or what?

MsStateBaseball
05-19-2015, 03:10 PM
The coaches have a lot to say. Butch knows which league is best for his pitchers. Going to cape gets them exposed to scouts more. Gridley prob wanted to stay close to home. Coach will ask them but Butch will say I think you need to do this.

We are so early this year, they will get good work in before other guys show up in late June.

MsStateBaseball
05-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Brown sees he can't do it anymore, Mintz can only throw sliders. Yes, love for Joey to come back.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2015, 03:13 PM
Brown sees he can't do it anymore, Mintz can only throw sliders. Yes, love for Joey to come back.

Brown can "do it" just as good as anybody else on our staff. Could this year anyway. Not that that's saying much, but still...hate to lose experienced pitchers with 90+ mph fastballs.

Irondawg
05-19-2015, 03:20 PM
Be interesting to see if Young and Swin ever amount to anything or if young's injury just killed him and if Swin just never developed.

bulldogcountry1
05-19-2015, 03:31 PM
I may be mistaken, but I recall Garner being announced as going to play summer ball somewhere before they announced his transfer. So, I don't think anything is guaranteed either way at this point.

RAYn_Man
05-19-2015, 04:15 PM
Just because they aren't on the list, doesn't mean they aren't coming back. Some of those guys are taking summer classes.

BankerDog
05-19-2015, 04:25 PM
Brown chose not to be back. He is going to Med School and is focusing on that.

Swinkarski was another overrated guy. He hit .125 this past summer and has a big hole in his swing. He did not look good either times I saw him in practice or in games when we would play him him.

RBritt
05-19-2015, 04:49 PM
Hudson broke his hand punching the wall at Ole Miss.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2015, 04:58 PM

Awesome. I like Hudson even more now. Glad to know someone on our team still gets pissed off and isn't afraid to punch something. Get well soon, buddy.

msstate7
05-19-2015, 05:07 PM
Awesome. I like Hudson even more now. Glad to know someone on our team still gets pissed off and isn't afraid to punch something. Get well soon, buddy.

Punch a Gatorade cooler next time. Walls are less forgiving

CadaverDawg
05-19-2015, 05:13 PM
Punch a Gatorade cooler next time. Walls are less forgiving

Most of our pitchers would have missed the wall

msstate7
05-19-2015, 05:27 PM

Haha

Todd4State
05-19-2015, 05:52 PM
We had five pitchers make the Cape and still finished last in the SEC in ERA? Good job Butch. And how did Daniel Brown make a Cape Cod League team? To throw batting practice?

That said- very interesting that the Cape picked the four pitchers that I liked and said should be in the rotation the whole time. Like I said, we would have been better off with my three guys starting and putting Laster in the bullpen. That would have allowed Butch to be cute like he wants to be. But we decided that Ross might figure it out after getting shelled 15 times in a row.

As others have said- I don't think this is indicative of who will be processed or not. I think there are two classes of players that will be processed- those that are going to be cut right away and those that will be given a chance to improve and earn a job. I think Levi Mintz will come back to be honest with you. He was one of better relief pitchers all year and had respectable numbers- I think he ran out of gas more than anything at the end.

Glad to hear that Dakota has some fire- we need that next year. That's not a terrible injury- and he should be ready to go for most of the summer. I've treated that injury MANY times before- and usually it takes about three weeks to heal.

It's better for us that Preston is gone. He would take up a rotation spot from either Tatum or Hudson- and we're simply better off with those two in the rotation. I hate to rip a former walk-on- but he's a midweek talent that Butch would have insisted on pitching every Friday or Saturday- and that would have cost us SEC wins.

Todd4State
05-19-2015, 05:53 PM

Most of our pitchers would have gone in the dugout and coordinated which rally cap to wear.

Todd4State
05-19-2015, 05:56 PM
Brown chose not to be back. He is going to Med School and is focusing on that.

Swinkarski was another overrated guy. He hit .125 this past summer and has a big hole in his swing. He did not look good either times I saw him in practice or in games when we would play him him.

Swinarski has had some concussions and that has hurt him in terms of getting reps to correct the things he needs to. Even though he has been here for two years he is still basically a guy right out of high school in terms of development. I don't think he will ever be healthy enough to contribute at this point.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2015, 05:59 PM
Swinarski has had some concussions and that has hurt him in terms of getting reps to correct the things he needs to. Even though he has been here for two years he is still basically a guy right out of high school in terms of development. I don't think he will ever be healthy enough to contribute at this point.

How did he get concussion issues in baseball? Is Rick Ray now a baseball assistant?

Todd4State
05-19-2015, 06:00 PM
How is it determined where they go? Do the kids have any choice, or are they invited, or what?

Depends on the league. Everyone wants to play for either the Team USA National Team or in the Cape. Those are invitation only. Of course there are a lot of guys that need innings at AB's that the Cape doesn't invite so for those players a lot of times Cohen or one of our coaches will find a league for our guys to play in. That's why you see a lot of our guys going to the same summer league team every year- Bethesda Big Train, Lima Locos, San Luis Obispo Blues, etc.

There may be a couple of guys like Mintz that they are trying to find a league for as well.

A long time ago, sometimes college guys would play Semi-Pro ball. I don't hear that happening very much anymore though.

Todd4State
05-19-2015, 06:01 PM
How did he get concussion issues in baseball? Is Rick Ray now a baseball assistant?

Running into outfield walls.

CadaverDawg
05-19-2015, 06:02 PM
Running into outfield walls.

Brilliant.

I seen it dawg
05-19-2015, 06:51 PM
We had five pitchers make the Cape and still finished last in the SEC in ERA? Good job Butch. And how did Daniel Brown make a Cape Cod League team? To throw batting practice?

That said- very interesting that the Cape picked the four pitchers that I liked and said should be in the rotation the whole time. Like I said, we would have been better off with my three guys starting and putting Laster in the bullpen. That would have allowed Butch to be cute like he wants to be. But we decided that Ross might figure it out after getting shelled 15 times in a row.

As others have said- I don't think this is indicative of who will be processed or not. I think there are two classes of players that will be processed- those that are going to be cut right away and those that will be given a chance to improve and earn a job. I think Levi Mintz will come back to be honest with you. He was one of better relief pitchers all year and had respectable numbers- I think he ran out of gas more than anything at the end.

Glad to hear that Dakota has some fire- we need that next year. That's not a terrible injury- and he should be ready to go for most of the summer. I've treated that injury MANY times before- and usually it takes about three weeks to heal.

It's better for us that Preston is gone. He would take up a rotation spot from either Tatum or Hudson- and we're simply better off with those two in the rotation. I hate to rip a former walk-on- but he's a midweek talent that Butch would have insisted on pitching every Friday or Saturday- and that would have cost us SEC wins.

Butch is the most overrated piece of our program.

whosyourdawgy
05-19-2015, 07:14 PM

👍👍😂

bulldogcountry1
05-19-2015, 09:03 PM

I like the intensity, but he needs to take advice from Crash Davis and not punch with his pitching hand.

Smitty
05-19-2015, 09:18 PM
Daniel Brown K'd 12 per 9 innings this year. If you can't see that potential I can't help you. He should be very useful next year. We should have been using him a lot more once the season was lost, not keep running those seniors out there.

Todd4State
05-19-2015, 09:25 PM
Daniel Brown K'd 12 per 9 innings this year. If you can't see that potential I can't help you. He should be very useful next year. We should have been using him a lot more once the season was lost, not keep running those seniors out there.

I actually agree that he has potential- but he's a head case, and he doesn't belong in the Cape at this point.

Smitty
05-19-2015, 09:34 PM
I actually agree that he has potential- but he's a head case, and he doesn't belong in the Cape at this point.

Lindgren was a head case too remember. Then after the Cape he was one of the best RP in college baseball history.

Todd4State
05-19-2015, 09:42 PM
Lindgren was a head case too remember. Then after the Cape he was one of the best RP in college baseball history.

The difference between Lindgren and Brown is Lindgren was more wild and Brown gives up too many home runs. Lindgren was waaaay more proven than Brown is at this point.

I hope it works out like Lindgren though.

Smitty
05-19-2015, 10:21 PM
The difference between Lindgren and Brown is Lindgren was more wild and Brown gives up too many home runs. Lindgren was waaaay more proven than Brown is at this point.

I hope it works out like Lindgren though.

Brown averaged more K/9 as a sophomore than Lindgren. Also, HR given up rates aren't close to settling in limited innings. K rates settle much quicker. And this is comparing Brown to one of the best RP in college history. He's not Lindgren, but rarely anyone is.

preachermatt83
05-19-2015, 10:31 PM

Strong post!!

MsStateBaseball
05-19-2015, 10:47 PM
Daniel Brown has talent. Butch wouldn't let him go to cape to get rocked.

Dakota is close. He wants to be a starter and dominate. Again this is his draft year. He gained confidence this year. He just need reps.

messageboardsuperhero
05-19-2015, 11:12 PM

Pomeranz had this same injury last year for the A's when he punched the wall after a bad start. It took him about 3-4 weeks to get back. Hudson should be good to go this summer- and we desperately need him, Humphreys, and the rest of the rising juniors to get lots of reps.

messageboardsuperhero
05-19-2015, 11:14 PM

I totally agree. Daniel Brown was our best pitcher in the first few weeks and has electric stuff. He struck out 5 in 2 innings against a good San Diego team- then hit a wall and had his season unravel after he blew a save in his next appearance. I still have high hopes for he and McCord next season if both of them are healthy.

BLC
05-20-2015, 12:31 PM
The summer is not the be all end all some people think. I've seen some posters talk about the great instruction in summer leagues - rarely true. I get the getting reps argument. I certainly get the Cape arguments, as you're playing against the best, day in and day out. That said, each kid may require a different summer experience to advance and reach his potential and grow. My point is, don't extrapolate where a kid is playing this summer into what he'll become next spring. Very hard to correlate the two. After all, check out where the SEC POY played last summer ... FYI, I'll save you the time, he didn't play anywhere.

Squidawg11
05-20-2015, 12:46 PM

Someone needs to get him a copy of Bull Durham. "Never hit a drunk with your pitching hand."

KB21
05-21-2015, 09:22 AM

I agree with everything you said there, but I think Dakota showed some lack of emotional control with that. I tell patients that do this all the time in my clinic that the wall won and will always win.