PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk Running Backs in the West

justwin
05-19-2015, 12:02 AM
Who is going to be the best SEC West Running Back this year (don't waste your time and say Dak)?

Several good contenders. You have:

Henry @ Bama who is going to get the full load
Lee @ MSU. up and comer rsfr who may be full time starter @ year end
Gus Malzahn Auburn RB who is going to get the most carries and most yards..Plug & Play
Williams or Collins @ Ark....1A/1B...essentially the same player each with a ton of carries
A scat guy @ TXAM
Ashton Shumpert becoming the full time guy behind Dak & fighting off a young gun, Lee. Former Mr. MS, gets better throughout the game, highly coveted from HS
A scat guy @ OM
Fournette @ LSU in year 2

I bring this up b/c a least five of these teams are going to be placing a big time burden on their RBs due to unexperienced QB play. I'd like to think the clear cut winner will be Henry just due all of the circumstances that favor him.

2nd through 4 is where it gets interesting. First, let's look at the top West RBs from a year ago.

J-Rob 1203 11TDs 6.4 gone
Henry 990 11TDs 5.6 junior
Yelton 979 11TDs 5.1 gone
Fournette 1034 10TDs 5.1 soph
Artis Payne 1608 13 TDs 5.4 gone
Carson 581 5 TDs 4.5 gone
Walton 586 5 TDs 5.9 returning. they also have the juco guy who redshirted last year, Judd
Williams 1190 12TDs 5.8 junior
Collins 1100 12TDs 5.5 junior

Based on last year, J-Rob was no worse than 2 and I don't see much of a drop off with MSU finishing @ 3rd this year with either Lee or Shump. Starter will get 950 yds and dougle digit TDs. The other one will get 450 & 4 TDs.

I think you have to give an Arkansas 1A guy the 2nd spot.

Then 4th - 6th could dictate the end of year standings the most. I think Fournette, Auburn's Jovon Robinson (the juco guy who had the former OM alumni forged his grades a few years back), and Arkansas 1B fall in that group.

I think Fournette's numbers will be a little down as he's going to take a beating this year with those QBs. I put him at a respectable 5th.

I'm beginning to think that people are overestimating Auburn's QB running ability which will put a burden on Robinson as the primary power back. However, I put him at 4th due to the proven scheme. Remember, Gus has been @ Aub for 5 years. The two years he didn't have Marshal or Scam, his teams finished with 8 wins. Jeremy Johnson is going to have to run the ball to make that offense go. They probably have the best SEC West schedule with their only road games being Arkansas, TXAM, LSU though.

Leaves Ark 1B as #6.

Then, you have TXAM & OM further down the list.

End of the day, I see MSU's offense being top 3 with Ark & Aub this year.

thoughts?

Barking 13
05-19-2015, 12:14 AM
Shump ~ 600
Lee ~ 600
Holloway ~ 350 (includes negative plays up the middle - dammit)
Dak ~ 500
Williams ~250

tireddawg
05-19-2015, 12:57 AM
Fournette is the best running back in the west. Don't know if stats will back it up but he's the best

spudd21
05-19-2015, 07:32 AM
Strictly from what I've seen, fournette is the best back. Not saying there's a guy who comes from out of no where and shows out. Just from what I've seen that dudes good.

Coach34
05-19-2015, 07:48 AM
1. Fournette

Gap

2. Crapshoot from here on down

Fournette is a beast and may run for 1,500 yards. Lester is going to run the piss out of him. If he stays healthy he will likely be a top 3 Heisman guy.

Henry is good and will run behind a good OL

UPig will have a good 2-headed Monster back there

We will have a 3-headed Monster at RB. Shump does all the little things- so even if DLee is the better runner- Shump will still get reps. Aeris is too good not to get reps also. What has impressed me with all 3 is that they have good hands to catch the football. Good problem to have

Auburn is plug-n-play as the OP stated

A&M and Ole Missus will be serviceable at RB.

Covercorner2
05-19-2015, 07:57 AM
I fear Auburn is gonna be pretty good at RB between Jovon Robinson and Roc Thomas...

Coach34
05-19-2015, 08:03 AM
Auburn is going to be as good as Boom can make that defense. Malzahn is always going to have a good offense.

thf24
05-19-2015, 08:04 AM
I think Fournette's numbers will be distinctly up. Think of the slow start he got off to last year - and he still ran for 1,000 yards. Won't matter if they get good QB play or not, he and his offensive line are good enough to produce even against a loaded box.

BulldogBear
05-19-2015, 08:15 AM
Doesn't matter who will be QB/RB at Ole Missus. It's all about dat D, 'bout dat D, 'bout dat D, no trouble****

GreenheadDawg
05-19-2015, 08:57 AM
Doesn't matter who will be QB/RB at Ole Missus. It's all about dat D, 'bout dat D, 'bout dat D, no trouble****

Ha I luaghed. But apparently it's the truth according to the media

Political Hack
05-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Fournette and it's not close. Henry would be 2nd probably by my vote.

smootness
05-19-2015, 09:50 AM
Shump ~ 600
Lee ~ 600
Dak ~ 500
Williams ~250

I'm sorry, but giant LOL on Dak only rushing for 500.

In terms of pure talent, I would rank the top of the West's RBs like this:
1. Fournette
2. Roc Thomas
3. Jovon Robinson
4. Jonathan Williams
5. Derrick Henry

Where'sWaldo
05-19-2015, 09:51 AM
I'll start out by saying I know what a good running back looks like. I came here(or "there") the year before Perkins was the full time back and told everyone it would be a disaster. I was called an idiot and praise was rained down upon Perkins and lo and behold halfway through that season everyone was seeing what I had predicted. Perkins ran too square and didn't get the extra few yards after contact that our offense needs to run efficiently. Robinson was able to get those yards last season while he was healthy and that was a huge reason for our offensive success. Shumpert is not the answer at running back. Any meaningful snaps he gets in our critical SEC West games is going to hurt our offense and lessen our chance of winning the game. He runs high and square and can't get the extra few yards we need to make it 2nd and 7 as opposed to 2nd and 9. From what I've seen D Lee is the only back we have that can get those yards and I'm not completely sold on him. Running back is being over looked as a position of concern right now and I'm sure the blame will fall on the O line if they don't produce. Right now we don't appear to have a replacement for what Josh gave us last year and that concerns me.

smootness
05-19-2015, 09:55 AM
I'll start out by saying I know what a good running back looks like. I came here(or "there") the year before Perkins was the full time back and told everyone it would be a disaster. I was called an idiot and praise was rained down upon Perkins and lo and behold halfway through that season everyone was seeing what I had predicted. Perkins ran too square and didn't get the extra few yards after contact that our offense needs to run efficiently. Robinson was able to get those yards last season while he was healthy and that was a huge reason for our offensive success. Shumpert is not the answer at running back. Any meaningful snaps he gets in our critical SEC West games is going to hurt our offense and lessen our chance of winning the game. He runs high and square and can't get the extra few yards we need to make it 2nd and 7 as opposed to 2nd and 9. From what I've seen D Lee is the only back we have that can get those yards and I'm not completely sold on him. Running back is being over looked as a position of concern right now and I'm sure the blame will fall on the O line if they don't produce. Right now we don't appear to have a replacement for what Josh gave us last year and that concerns me.

In Perkins' first year as the full-time back, he ran for over 1,000 yards with a 5.0 YPC and 8 TDs. What a disaster.

Covercorner2
05-19-2015, 10:38 AM

The difference is when Perkins was around, he didn't have Dak to take the pressure off of him. Having essentially a second RB in the backfield takes the pressure off of your RB. We don't necessarily need a "feature" RB like an Anthony Dixon or a Leonard Fournette to have success in our system (assuming you have a Dak at QB). This is why there isn't much concern about the RB position. Between Lee, Shumpert, Williams and Dear, we have what's necessary to keep the defense honest, AND, like C34 pointed out, we add the pass- catching dimension. JRob was great, but he wasn't a "feature" back and lacked in some areas (pass blocking and receiving). We should add those dimensions this year AND still be able to move the pile and get tough yards (what JRob was good at).

For example, look at 2010 Auburn. They won the NC with Cam Newton and Mike Dyer. Dyer isn't exactly the most talented back in the world, or a "feature," prototype RB. I don't even think he got drafted. I know he had issues, but still. But, they managed to have a very effective offense. Now I'm not saying Dak is Cam Newton, but you get the idea...

thf24
05-19-2015, 10:52 AM
JRob was great, but he wasn't a "feature" back and lacked in some areas (pass blocking and receiving).

Pass blocking definitely, but JRob was/is pretty damn good in the receiving aspect. Go back and see the one-handed catch vs UK. He had several receiving touchdowns as well. He was more or less a feature back. You still make a good point though.

cheewgumm
05-19-2015, 10:52 AM

Pretty much agree. Hoping that Lee or Aeris is the answer. I don't see it in Shump. I know he had one good game. The other games I've seen him in , he looks a little stiff. Believe me, I hope I'm wrong.

Covercorner2
05-19-2015, 10:56 AM
Pass blocking definitely, but JRob was/is pretty damn good in the receiving aspect. Go back and see the one-handed catch vs UK. He had several receiving touchdowns as well. He was more or less a feature back. You still make a good point though.

He had one receiving TD in his career...

HancockCountyDog
05-19-2015, 10:58 AM
I'm sorry, but giant LOL on Dak only rushing for 500.

In terms of pure talent, I would rank the top of the West's RBs like this:
1. Fournette
2. Roc Thomas
3. Jovon Robinson
4. Jonathan Williams
5. Derrick Henry

Id put Alex Collin over Jovon Robinson. Also, Arkansas better enjoy their RB duo, because thank god they will both be gone after this year.

thf24
05-19-2015, 10:59 AM

Ok, just the one receiving touchdown last year, but he has good hands and was a threat out of the backfield.

Coach34
05-19-2015, 11:14 AM
I think JRob had serviceable hands- not good hands. All 3 we have this year catch the ball better.

Covercorner2
05-19-2015, 11:22 AM
1. LSU (Fournette)
2. Arkansas (Collins/Williams)
3. Auburn (Thomas/Robinson)
4. Bama (Henry)
5. State (Lee/Shumpert/Williams)
6. Ole Miss (Walton/Wilkins/Judd)
7. A&M (honestly not real sure)

tcdog70
05-19-2015, 11:29 AM
Shump ~ 600
Lee ~ 600
Dak ~ 500
Williams ~250

I think Hollaway will have a nice Year if Dan uses Him correctly . He will bust some long runs.

LC Dawg
05-19-2015, 11:31 AM
Fournette may be 1st and 2nd team all conference. The dude is a stud.

We obviously are lucky to have as many talented rb's as we have but I think Shumpert may surprise some people this year. He looked a lot better to me in the spring game. It looks like his running vision is getting better. We are obviously going to rotate backs and I think its yet to be seen who our best running back is but I think if you only had Shumpert he would get you more than 4 yards a carry without many negative carries, make most of his blocks, and catch the ball out of the backfield. In our offense, with Dak at qb, I think most people would be happy getting that production from our rb.

thf24
05-19-2015, 11:39 AM
I think Hollaway will have a nice Year if Dan uses Him correctly . He will bust some long runs.

I've always wanted to think so, but I'm just not sure. The issue with Holloway as a RB is that he's blazing fast, but that's about it. He's not quick, shifty, and definitely isn't going to run over anyone. If you can open him a wide ass hole at the LOS out to about 10 yards he can take it for 40-50 or more, but he's never shown the ability to make anyone miss that I'm aware of. I'd say use him 2-3 times a game to give the defense a different look and maybe get lucky for a big play, like Dan did with him against A&M last year, but that's about it. Definitely not an entire series or more. I just don't think our run game lends itself well to a 2, 1, 2, -3, 50 type guy.

smootness
05-19-2015, 11:43 AM
If Holloway gave us a 50-yard run every 5 plays, I'd be more than ok with that.

Holloway obviously shouldn't ever be a feature back, but he did just fine for us in the role he played last year. I'll take 6.5 YPC all day from him.

thf24
05-19-2015, 11:50 AM
If Holloway gave us a 50-yard run every 5 plays, I'd be more than ok with that.

Holloway obviously shouldn't ever be a feature back, but he did just fine for us in the role he played last year. I'll take 6.5 YPC all day from him.

Fair enough. I'd still prefer him to only be in for a play or two at a time, and definitely not a whole series unless he's just repeatedly gashing the defense. Also, I think Dear will start taking some of his carries at some point this year.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
05-19-2015, 11:51 AM
I am happy to trade Jrob's big-play ability for Shump's pass-protection, lead-blocking, and physicality. Far too often Jrob either sat back in pass pro & got pushed into the QB, or lunged at the rusher & whiffed. Shump has shown he can sit in the chair and bring some pop to keep guys off Dak.

Jrob was harder to tackle in the open-field b/c of his balance & low center-of-gravity. Shumpert will be a more punishing runner, and will equal, if not exceed, Jrob's ability to push the pile and fight for extra yards. Handing off to Jrob on 1st down you either end up w/ 2nd & 2 or 2nd & 10. With Shumpert, you're gonna get a lot more 2nd & 5s, with him breaking a few 15-20 yarders as the defense wears down. If he can learn to pick his feet up and not lean so heavily, he has the ability to break those far more often.

Where'sWaldo
05-19-2015, 12:12 PM
In Perkins' first year as the full-time back, he ran for over 1,000 yards with a 5.0 YPC and 8 TDs. What a disaster.

I'm not arguing whether or not Perkins accumulated decent stats over the course of the year but that's now how I judge a RB. My argument is that Perkins was a boom or bust running back and our offense can't succeed with that type of back. For example Perkins rush sequence may look like this: 0, 1, 13, 0, 2, 19, 0 while J Rob's may look like this: 3, 4, 10, 3 ,4, 8 ,3. Both guys avg 5 yards a carry but one sustains drives and keeps us in manageable down and distance allowing us to stay unpredictable.

maroonmania
05-19-2015, 12:28 PM
I've always wanted to think so, but I'm just not sure. The issue with Holloway as a RB is that he's blazing fast, but that's about it. He's not quick, shifty, and definitely isn't going to run over anyone. If you can open him a wide ass hole at the LOS out to about 10 yards he can take it for 40-50 or more, but he's never shown the ability to make anyone miss that I'm aware of. I'd say use him 2-3 times a game to give the defense a different look and maybe get lucky for a big play, like Dan did with him against A&M last year, but that's about it. Definitely not an entire series or more. I just don't think our run game lends itself well to a 2, 1, 2, -3, 50 type guy.

Plus if someone breathes on him he is tackled.

justwin
05-19-2015, 12:35 PM
Shumpert is not the answer at running back. Any meaningful snaps he gets in our critical SEC West games is going to hurt our offense and lessen our chance of winning the game. He runs high and square and can't get the extra few yards we need to make it 2nd and 7 as opposed to 2nd and 9. .

I do think Shump has a lot to prove, but I think that's a little extreme. I want to see what happens when he gets 15+ carries/game as the latter half of the carries may be where he gains most of his yards.

smootness
05-19-2015, 12:40 PM
I'm not arguing whether or not Perkins accumulated decent stats over the course of the year but that's now how I judge a RB. My argument is that Perkins was a boom or bust running back and our offense can't succeed with that type of back. For example Perkins rush sequence may look like this: 0, 1, 13, 0, 2, 19, 0 while J Rob's may look like this: 3, 4, 10, 3 ,4, 8 ,3. Both guys avg 5 yards a carry but one sustains drives and keeps us in manageable down and distance allowing us to stay unpredictable.

Perkins had good vision. I think Robinson is a better overall RB, but Perkins was fine and certainly would be in the offense we are running now. The ability for the defense to shut him down at times was due more to the offense we ran at the time and the limitations due to the QB than Perkins' ability.

sandwolf
05-19-2015, 01:41 PM

He also had more receptions and receiving yardage than Joe Morrow, Fred Brown, Robert Johnson and Gabe Myles......and he had about the same amount of production as Malcolm Johnson did. So he was definitely an asset in the receiving game.

HancockCountyDog
05-19-2015, 02:01 PM
He also had more receptions and receiving yardage than Joe Morrow, Fred Brown, Robert Johnson and Gabe Myles......and he had about the same amount of production as Malcolm Johnson did. So he was definitely an asset in the receiving game.

THIS^^^^

Im not sure why there seems to be some angst with J-Rob, maybe people are upset that he left, or maybe people just remember him whiffing in the pass protection department against the bears, but he was a great RB for us last year. He was a great receiving threat out of the backfield and had an uncanny ability to make the catch while running full steam.

I like the RB's we have coming back, but I wish J-Rob had stayed around for another year, I really think he would have had a monster season.

dawgclub99
05-19-2015, 07:59 PM
Dak will rush for 1,000 this year. Williams and Shumpert will be the best RB tandem in the SEC. Ole Piss will be lucky to have a 300 yard RB behind that POS OL they are going to put out there.

TUSK
05-19-2015, 09:01 PM
Who is going to be the best SEC West Running Back this year (don't waste your time and say Dak)?

Several good contenders. You have:

Henry @ Bama who is going to get the full load
Lee @ MSU. up and comer rsfr who may be full time starter @ year end
Gus Malzahn Auburn RB who is going to get the most carries and most yards..Plug & Play
Williams or Collins @ Ark....1A/1B...essentially the same player each with a ton of carries
A scat guy @ TXAM
Ashton Shumpert becoming the full time guy behind Dak & fighting off a young gun, Lee. Former Mr. MS, gets better throughout the game, highly coveted from HS
A scat guy @ OM
Fournette @ LSU in year 2

I bring this up b/c a least five of these teams are going to be placing a big time burden on their RBs due to unexperienced QB play. I'd like to think the clear cut winner will be Henry just due all of the circumstances that favor him.

2nd through 4 is where it gets interesting. First, let's look at the top West RBs from a year ago.

J-Rob 1203 11TDs 6.4 gone
Henry 990 11TDs 5.6 junior
Yelton 979 11TDs 5.1 gone
Fournette 1034 10TDs 5.1 soph
Artis Payne 1608 13 TDs 5.4 gone
Carson 581 5 TDs 4.5 gone
Walton 586 5 TDs 5.9 returning. they also have the juco guy who redshirted last year, Judd
Williams 1190 12TDs 5.8 junior
Collins 1100 12TDs 5.5 junior

Based on last year, J-Rob was no worse than 2 and I don't see much of a drop off with MSU finishing @ 3rd this year with either Lee or Shump. Starter will get 950 yds and dougle digit TDs. The other one will get 450 & 4 TDs.

I think you have to give an Arkansas 1A guy the 2nd spot.

Then 4th - 6th could dictate the end of year standings the most. I think Fournette, Auburn's Jovon Robinson (the juco guy who had the former OM alumni forged his grades a few years back), and Arkansas 1B fall in that group.

I think Fournette's numbers will be a little down as he's going to take a beating this year with those QBs. I put him at a respectable 5th.

I'm beginning to think that people are overestimating Auburn's QB running ability which will put a burden on Robinson as the primary power back. However, I put him at 4th due to the proven scheme. Remember, Gus has been @ Aub for 5 years. The two years he didn't have Marshal or Scam, his teams finished with 8 wins. Jeremy Johnson is going to have to run the ball to make that offense go. They probably have the best SEC West schedule with their only road games being Arkansas, TXAM, LSU though.

Leaves Ark 1B as #6.

Then, you have TXAM & OM further down the list.

End of the day, I see MSU's offense being top 3 with Ark & Aub this year.

thoughts?

I'd vote for RB from AU, UGA, Lsu, or Bammer.... in no order....

MSUDawg4Life
05-20-2015, 02:11 AM
1. LSU (Fournette)
2. Arkansas (Collins/Williams)
3. Auburn (Thomas/Robinson)
4. Bama (Henry)
5. State (Lee/Shumpert/Williams)
6. Ole Miss (Walton/Wilkins/Judd)
7. A&M (honestly not real sure)

I think this is closest to being accurate.

My question for our running backs is can they replace the production from last year. None of them have to be JRob, but if Shump, Lee, and Williams can get 600 - 800 yards with Holloway adding another 500 then I think we will have a potent offense. None of the guys have to be Superman. Just produce when it's their turn.

Rayburn8
05-20-2015, 02:53 AM
I feel like everyone is cutting Williams short. I get that Lee had a big spring, but Williams will be the best player outta of those three. Dude is a monster. Might not of showed this spring as much but he has the most potential. West Point wasn't the "Aeris Williams show" for nothing.

MSUDawg4Life
05-20-2015, 07:24 AM
I feel like everyone is cutting Williams short. I get that Lee had a big spring, but Williams will be the best player outta of those three. Dude is a monster. Might not of showed this spring as much but he has the most potential. West Point wasn't the "Aeris Williams show" for nothing.

Not me. I actually think our most productive running game would feature steady dosages of DLee, Williams and Dak. I think trying to force Shump to be the guy may be a mistake. However, I'm in favor of letting them all have a chance to prove it on the field. Give the ball to whoever can get it done without any favoritism. If that happens, I expect Aeris to be a key contributor.

SallyStansbury
05-20-2015, 08:11 AM
this is a good post. Post more.