PDA

View Full Version : Signature win '13

msstate7
07-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Which of these games do we have best shot of winning?

Osu
Lsu
at USCe
at aTm
Bama

I say we beat Osu. If I picked an upset in any of the others, I'd say aTm (not predicting it though)

War Machine Dawg
07-04-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm going to say LSU. Law of averages has to come into play eventually. They can't beat us f'n 20 straight times. This is the year we slip up on them and get the once every 15 years W.

msstate7
07-04-2013, 11:22 AM
I'm going to say LSU. Law of averages has to come into play eventually. They can't beat us f'n 20 straight times. This is the year we slip up on them and get the once every 15 years W.

Really wanna beat them. My sister married an lsu guy and I hear it every year from them along with my nephew and niece. I really hope I'm wrong, but I think lsu will be very good this year for some reason.

Dawgfan77
07-04-2013, 11:31 AM
People are over estimating OSU and unless mettenburger channels Jamarcus Russell circa 2006 LSU is beatable esp if its a night game. DWS gonna be a lot louder this year due to the exp.

theloungeinleft
07-04-2013, 11:32 AM

I feel like as State fans, we say this every year. I believe CDM missed out on his chance to beat the Tigers (looks at 2009 when we choked on 4 inches).

maroonmania
07-04-2013, 12:10 PM
I feel like I'm in a rut as an MSU football fan. Given the record under Mullen I expect us to beat teams we should beat and lose to teams we are expected to lose to. My concern with the schedule is that this year you could almost put 5 games in the "expected to lose" category. AL, LSU, @TA&M, @SC, and OSU in Houston. Now maybe OSU will not be as good as a lot of people expect but this will be a road game for us make no mistake and there are a number of folks saying OSU is a favorite in the Big 12 this year. To me, given that we have 4 games we should be able win (3 OOC games plus KY@home) that puts our record likely somewhere between 4-8 and 7-5 depending on how the @Aub, @Ark and OM games come out. Until I see us start beating quality teams its hard for me to expect us to beat quality teams. We just haven't really beaten quality teams the last couple of years. Last year our best win was actually probably MTSU and the year before maybe WF in the bowl game or possibly LT. Just really not many quality wins over the last couple of years.

TheDawgBiscuit
07-04-2013, 12:26 PM
I agree. First game, prime time, under dog (by everyone else). It starts the season of with a Big Bang. It is a strong OOC opponent.

Makes a bigger splash nationally than anything else.

As per SEC signature sweep AU, Ark, OM, and LSU. Huge.

We MUST compete with Alabama and aTm. Meaning not get blown out. That would be a huge season to me.

Then throw in the east and KY and SC (could happen if we are clicking). The program would be absolutely established bigger than 2010.

I am not pipe dream and expecting a freakish season, but this team could surprise is like the 2010 season that no one really expected.

War Machine Dawg
07-04-2013, 12:32 PM
I feel like as State fans, we say this every year. I believe CDM missed out on his chance to beat the Tigers (looks at 2009 when we choked on 4 inches).

I've NEVER called for us to beat LSU. Hell, I put them down as a L every year. But I'm calling my shot this season. I'll probably end up looking like a dumbass. Still, I say this is the year the law of averages works in our favor.

theloungeinleft
07-04-2013, 12:40 PM
I've NEVER called for us to beat LSU. Hell, I put them down as a L every year. But I'm calling my shot this season. I'll probably end up looking like a dumbass. Still, I say this is the year the law of averages works in our favor.

I wasn't trying to say that State fans call for us to beat LSU year after year. I was more so saying that there have been several years many of us have had the thought: "Maybe this is the year we can catch them when they are slightly down," and it just hasn't ever worked out.

Regardless, I hope you are right.

Coach34
07-04-2013, 01:36 PM
I have a problem with the whole "signature win thing"...beating Auburn, Tenn and Arkansas is a big win in any season- I don't give a shit what their record is.

Now, what team could we pull off a win against with a name brand on their jersey? Ill be disappointed if we lose to Ok State with what we have returning vs them and their returnees. LSU is a game that might be one- we are stuck in between Georgia and Fla for them and its in Sville- where the last 2 have been close games

The Croom Diaries
07-04-2013, 01:42 PM
I wasn't trying to say that State fans call for us to beat LSU year after year. I was more so saying that there have been several years many of us have had the thought: "Maybe this is the year we can catch them when they are slightly down," and it just hasn't ever worked out.

Regardless, I hope you are right.

If we don't say that I'm not sure what the point of even walking through the gate at DWS for that game would be.

As we sit right now, this is our best shot to win against LSU since '00. (Obviously we had a tremendous shot in 09 but I'm talking about going into the season). With their attrition, the way both team's schedules line up, and being in Starkville, this is as good as it has been in a long while. I still think we have about a 25-30% chance of winning, but that's better than the usual 10%.

The Croom Diaries
07-04-2013, 01:50 PM
I have a problem with the whole "signature win thing"...beating Auburn, Tenn and Arkansas is a big win in any season- I don't give a shit what their record is.

Now, what team could we pull off a win against with a name brand on their jersey? Ill be disappointed if we lose to Ok State with what we have returning vs them and their returnees. LSU is a game that might be one- we are stuck in between Georgia and Fla for them and its in Sville- where the last 2 have been close games

I agree with that 100%. Hell Aubie and UGA were in September before those teams nose dived. Florida was in the Swamp. All of those teams had much better recruiting classes than we did- so the fact is Mullen had our boys ready and the program in the right place while the other schools were unable to complete on as high of a level as we did even though they had more talent.

BUT - we need a signature win for perception. We can enjoy those wins all we want, but what ultimately gets the elite recruits to give State serious consideration are some W's over the big boys. If they think there is no chance to get to ATL or we just get blown out in big games we just aren't appealing. We need to prove we can win a big game over a big program to change the perception that there is a ceiling at MSU. I don't know that we HAVE to do that this year, but it would be nice...and we'll have plenty of opportunities.

Political Hack
07-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Okie State and at A&M for sure.

Saban compares losses to us to 9/11 (or Pearl Harbor, not sure which one we got).
USCe has a one man wrecking crew on DL. If TR leaves the game unhurt I'll be happy.
LSU...been a while. And they don't typically get down for many games. For whatever reason they enjoy beating us.

FlabLoser
07-04-2013, 02:16 PM

And nobody looks at a win against us and says so what it wasn't one if MSU's strong years.

Winnable we s I'd be the most pumped about, in order:

1. LSU. It's time.
2. OSU. An exposure game against a quality opponent.
3. Ole Miss. Egg bowl on turkey night
4. Arkansas in Little Rock.

Signature win whatever. It is high time to pull a big upset. Not just where we're the underdog. But a game where we play above our heads and pull a shocker. Give me Alabama. No reason we can't do what S Carolina did a few years ago. We play a perfect game at our peak ability, home crowd, and Bama plays average or a little down.

Look Vince Lombardi and Bill Belichick don't have their teams at 100% all the time and neither does Nick Saban.

Political Hack
07-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Games I want the worst of all...

1) Egg
2) Okie State
3) Then probably Auburn

We win those 3 and it's a damn good season. Little Rock is appealing to though.

engie
07-04-2013, 03:34 PM

Osu
Lsu
at USCe
at aTm
Bama

I say we beat Osu. If I picked an upset in any of the others, I'd say aTm (not predicting it though)

None. When we beat them, the goal posts will move again so Ole Miss has something to run their mouth about -- and self-loathing MSU fans will have something to bitch about.

I can see it now -- dominant against Ok State -- "well they lost alot so they just aren't very good this year"... It's a no-win for us as long as our dumbass fans allow OM to set our perception for us.

CadaverDawg
07-04-2013, 03:41 PM
None. When we beat them, the goal posts will move again so Ole Miss has something to run their mouth about -- and self-loathing MSU fans will have something to bitch about.

I can see it now -- dominant against Ok State -- "well they lost alot so they just aren't very good this year"... It's a no-win for us as long as our dumbass fans allow OM to set our perception for us.

Very good point.

Careful though, I suggested this on SPS the other day and was promptly called "Gene", by one of our own.

Will James
07-04-2013, 03:55 PM
I think we beat A+M

CadaverDawg
07-04-2013, 03:57 PM
I think we beat A+M

I hope you're as right as you were about the baseball series against em

msstate7
07-04-2013, 05:06 PM
I think we beat A+M

You called this right after we swept the baseball series that you correctly called. Be right again will...

coastdoglover
07-04-2013, 06:56 PM
L S U

SaltyDawg
07-05-2013, 08:44 AM
I think we beat A+M

A+M made us look silly last year. We looked like a pee wee football team against them. Hope you're right though.

fishwater99
07-05-2013, 09:33 AM

Osu
Lsu
at USCe
at aTm
Bama

I just want us to beat a Top 20 team.. Just one win in 5 years is not asking too much, imo...

Coach34
07-05-2013, 09:42 AM
A+M made us look silly last year. We looked like a pee wee football team against them. Hope you're right though.

Nobody mentions that A&M lost their OC and that could pose some potential problems. They lost some good WR's and a couple of NFL linemen too. They will be very good again- no doubt...but they have some questions

fishwater99
07-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Nobody mentions that A&M lost their OC and that could pose some potential problems. They lost some good WR's and a couple of NFL linemen too. They will be very good again- no doubt...but they have some questions

The lost one Tackle in the 1st, Rb in 2nd, DE in 3rd, LB in 4th and Swope their WR in the 6th round..
They gain another Matthews at Center.
I think they will be fine. Kingsbury leaving might hurt them the most..

maroonmania
07-05-2013, 10:18 AM

As someone else said we looked totally overmatched by A&M last year, probably even moreso than Bama, so it would take a tremendous swing to the positive for us and swing to the negative for them to have any legitimate chance to beat them in College Station.

Spider-Man
07-05-2013, 11:01 AM
I have a feeling that South Carolina is our signature win this season.

Coach34
07-05-2013, 11:06 AM
As someone else said we looked totally overmatched by A&M last year, probably even moreso than Bama, so it would take a tremendous swing to the positive for us and swing to the negative for them to have any legitimate chance to beat them in College Station.

We didnt give a shit when we played A&M last year. The team was flat as hell for whatever reason...and I dont expect us to beat them this year on the road

They lost 2 starters on the OL- both to the NFL...they lost their 2 leading WR's at catching TD's- but they have plenty more of damn WR's...lost a talented RB but they have more...

Just something to watch for if losing the OC causes any problems.

SaltyDawg
07-05-2013, 11:17 AM
We didnt give a shit when we played A&M last year. The team was flat as hell for whatever reason...and I dont expect us to beat them this year on the road

They lost 2 starters on the OL- both to the NFL...they lost their 2 leading WR's at catching TD's- but they have plenty more of damn WR's...lost a talented RB but they have more...

If we didn't give a shit to play A+M, then we have way bigger problems than getting man-handled by them at our home field. We were 7-1 when we played them, the game was hyped up more than a lot of other games with all the Snow Bowl shit, and they were brand new to the SEC.

I find it hard to believe that 'we didn't give a shit'.

FlabLoser
07-05-2013, 11:19 AM
I've seen this movie countless times. A great team loses an OL or two. They'll be the same right....not even close. Not unless they are Bama and have guys on the bench who are better than everybody else's starters.

Our aTm game is the only State game I have ever walked out on. Our team quit, so I did too. I walked out at halftime and snoozed in The Junction.

bluelightstar
07-05-2013, 11:38 AM

Let me just say I'm not a self-loathing MSU fan. But I just don't take wins over UF, UGA, Auburn, and Arkansas programs that are some of the worst they've ever fielded as symptomatic of program improvement. They sound good on paper, but it doesn't seem to make us much more than a paper tiger.

fishwater99
07-05-2013, 12:02 PM

They only lost one OT to the NFL, Matthews is coming back to play with his brother(new starting center).

They really didn't lose that much and like Bama will just reload. Must be nice..

http://theredzone.org/DraftShowSchool.aspx?School=Texas%20A%26M

Coach34
07-05-2013, 12:10 PM
I find it hard to believe that 'we didn't give a shit'.

All you had to do was watch the game and you could see it. We had just gotten hopes, dreams, and egos crushed by Bammer and it was a letdown

And I dont think anybody doesnt realize now that we had some problems with chemistry down the stretch last year

Coach34
07-05-2013, 12:16 PM
They only lost one OT to the NFL, Matthews is coming back to play with his brother(new starting center).

They really didn't lose that much and like Bama will just reload. Must be nice..

http://theredzone.org/DraftShowSchool.aspx?School=Texas%20A%26M

Fish, they lost their center and he signed as a FA with Green Bay- I'm not talking about the other OT

TexasDawg
07-05-2013, 12:33 PM
I think what he was saying is that the new center is another one of Bruce's boys. He is a stud as well. Here's a link to the spring depth chart.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/texas-am-spring-depth-chart/

TexasDawg
07-05-2013, 12:43 PM

Osu
Lsu
at USCe
at aTm
Bama

My vote would be for OK State. I am not buying into their hype. They are dealing with a new OC and they have yet to name a #1 QB. I just don't see why they are getting so much hype. Because they kicked the dogshit out of a terrible Purdue team? To me this is the most likely win of the bunch.

Coach34
07-05-2013, 12:47 PM
I think what he was saying is that the new center is another one of Bruce's boys. He is a stud as well. Here's a link to the spring depth chart.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/texas-am-spring-depth-chart/

I get that he is saying they have plenty of talent- not disputing that one bit. Nobody could have imagined how shitty Mike Sherman was as a coach with all the talent he had amassed. The Center they lost was a 2-time All-Big 12 OL- Patrick Carter and he is expected to make the Green Bay roster- ie lost 2 NFL linemen

TexasDawg
07-05-2013, 12:50 PM
I agree with ya coach, very tough to replace two stud O-linemen. I just believe that by November 9th they will be well acclimated to the speed of the college game.

fishwater99
07-05-2013, 02:37 PM
Fish, they lost their center and he signed as a FA with Green Bay- I'm not talking about the other OT

Gotcha...

I am sure the younger Matthews will be pretty good too.

Political Hack
07-05-2013, 02:59 PM

I've mentioned it repeatedly. They won't be as good this year. With their schedule they could still hit 9-10 wins though.

FlabLoser
07-05-2013, 05:00 PM
I agree with that 100%. Hell Aubie and UGA were in September before those teams nose dived. Florida was in the Swamp. All of those teams had much better recruiting classes than we did- so the fact is Mullen had our boys ready and the program in the right place while the other schools were unable to complete on as high of a level as we did even though they had more talent.

BUT - we need a signature win for perception. We can enjoy those wins all we want, but what ultimately gets the elite recruits to give State serious consideration are some W's over the big boys. If they think there is no chance to get to ATL or we just get blown out in big games we just aren't appealing. We need to prove we can win a big game over a big program to change the perception that there is a ceiling at MSU. I don't know that we HAVE to do that this year, but it would be nice...and we'll have plenty of opportunities.

That's a signature post.

TexasDawg
07-05-2013, 05:33 PM
I've mentioned it repeatedly. They won't be as good this year. With their schedule they could still hit 9-10 wins though.

If they win 10 games they will be exactly as good as they were last year

DAWGS1
07-05-2013, 07:33 PM
P Hack is right
We beat OSU, AUB and UM this yr and we will have a dang good season---
provided we do beat the suppose to's.
If we do beat OSU and AUB, good chance we beat either a LSU @ home
or ARK on road or Both, we have a 8-9 win season and another NYD bowl game.

Political Hack
07-05-2013, 08:55 PM
If they win 10 games they will be exactly as good as they were last year

there schedule is much more difficult. I think we could have a better team this season and win fewer games. Point being A&M might have gotten worse and still have the same number of wins because of an easier schedule. They should get 6 just with their OOC and SEC East schedule.