PDA

View Full Version : Someone remind me the story on James McMahon

Irondawg
05-18-2015, 01:38 PM
Who won the Ferriss award today. As I recall he was a MSU commit at one point but can't remember how he ended up at USM

ConkyMSU
05-18-2015, 02:14 PM
Cohen cut his scholarship one week before school started. He then enrolled at USM.

SouthMsDawg
05-18-2015, 02:23 PM
He's only 11-1 Ferris winner and likely C-USA pitcher of the year, but Cohen didn't think he was good enough for us.

MsStateBaseball
05-18-2015, 02:39 PM
When guys get drafted and don't sign or they find someone better late in the summer. Building that team one year, McMahon wasn't going to help his first year. Its a gamble.

smootness
05-18-2015, 02:58 PM
He also made 13 appearances in relief last year as a redshirt junior, pitched 10.1 innings, and put up an era of 6.97 with 5 BB, after posting a 9.95 ERA in 6.1 IP the year before.

If we had a redshirt junior put up numbers like that for us this year, it'd just be another player our fans said 'didn't have what it takes,' 'isn't a winner,' etc. So that crap goes both ways.

AlSwearengen
05-18-2015, 03:15 PM
This year is more than out of the blue. Coming out of high school, most people around Hattiesburg never thought he would amount to anything. I was told that he came from an MSU family with money and Cohen wanted him to pay his way.

I'm not pissed at Cohen the least little bit over McMahon.

Todd4State
05-18-2015, 07:47 PM
This year is more than out of the blue. Coming out of high school, most people around Hattiesburg never thought he would amount to anything. I was told that he came from an MSU family with money and Cohen wanted him to pay his way.

I'm not pissed at Cohen the least little bit over McMahon.

Pretty much. McMahon committed early trying to get into the class and actually we weren't sure if he was a pitcher or a third baseman. He didn't have a great year his senior year at Oak Grove which was in flux at the time with their coaching situation.

We still would have taken him as a walk-on because we needed money for Hunter Renfroe. Apparently he wanted scholarship money. I'm glad to see that he did well this year.

Also, USM acts like it was a last minute thing, but I had been hearing that we were going to pull his scholarship for a couple of months before it ever "happened" per the Hattiesburg newspaper.

And I'm sure that this is an asshole thing to say, but if you are a true Bulldog and you have the ability to walk-on to help the team, you do it. At least I would do it. I know players have done that at LSU and in Ole Miss for football like Matt Luke when he was a player. At the same time, I don't blame him for making a business decision and I'm happy it worked out for him.