PDA

View Full Version : Mullen ranked 11th best coach in SEC by Sporting News

starkvegasdawg
05-18-2015, 01:05 PM
It's just comical now at the lack of respect. All you can do is shake your head and enjoy all of those people get proven wrong this season.

msstate7
05-18-2015, 01:07 PM
We beat teams with better talent (more stars) with worse coaching too. Weird...

msstate7
05-18-2015, 01:11 PM
Would you say we played better as the hunter or the hunted last year? We seemed to lose our chip on our shoulder once we got #1. I want the same mindset we had entering lsu last year where Mullen said "they have no idea what's about to take that field"

starkvegasdawg
05-18-2015, 01:15 PM
I think that was more due to the pressure of being #1 that had them playing tight. That and our former D-coord doing that asinine 1B keeping our best players on the bench half the game. I honestly think that had more of an impact than anything. Yeah, teh subs may have enjoyed the playing time but when you have elite defensive talent sitting on the sideline watching your backups letting the other team march down the field and then when they get to the 15 be sent back in to try and hold them to a FG...I can't help but think some resentment would have set in. It would have me if I were in their shoes.

Maroonthirteen
05-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Every State team that I have known, regardless of sport, performed better as the hunter.

dawgfan016
05-18-2015, 01:19 PM
It's too hard to win in Starkville or Mullen isn't a good enough coach to win in Starkville. Which is it media?

maroonmania
05-18-2015, 01:23 PM
It's just comical now at the lack of respect. All you can do is shake your head and enjoy all of those people get proven wrong this season.

Nice to know we can achieve a #1 ranking with the 4th worst coach in the SEC. Man, just think what we could do if we had a good coach.

Coach34
05-18-2015, 01:50 PM
Every State team that I have known, regardless of sport, performed better as the hunter.

we played 2 games on the road at the end of last year. That's the difference. We play Bama in Sville last year and we win that ballgame. Home and road make a huge difference in games

MadDawg
05-18-2015, 01:58 PM
Nice to know we can achieve a #1 ranking with the 4th worst coach in the SEC. Man, just think what we could do if we had a good coach.

Or just an average coach. Or just average talent.

MedDawg
05-18-2015, 02:00 PM
we played 2 games on the road at the end of last year. That's the difference. We play Bama in Sville last year and we win that ballgame. Home and road make a huge difference in games

Agree

msstate7
05-18-2015, 02:08 PM

We're still gonna play 4 tough road games in auburn, aTm, mizzou, and ark

Jack Lambert
05-18-2015, 02:16 PM

I watched Bama spring game yesterday on TV and we beat them this year. They do not have a good QB at all. They are going to have to rely on Running and all every team will have to do is load up box.

Now I could be wrong and Coker could improve a bunch over the summer. They will have a good running game.

I just think LSU, Bama and ARk will struggle on offense. You have to be able to pass the ball. Too much talent on the field to run consistantly with out being able to throw it.

Bothrops
05-18-2015, 02:54 PM
We really are an enigma to the sports media.

FlabLoser
05-18-2015, 03:17 PM
Coached up Sly Croom's talent to the NFL. Put more players in the NFL in 2015 than anybody remembers ever happening before.

So Mullen is 4th worst coach in the SEC, right.. I guess that must mean a Bama must have put about 45 players in the league this year. That happened, didn't it?

Coach34
05-18-2015, 04:33 PM
We're still gonna play 4 tough road games in auburn, aTm, mizzou, and ark

Yep- but it aint like playing in Tuscaloosa or in Oxford. The Egg Bowl is the biggest home field advantage in college football right now. And winning in T-Town right now is damn near impossible

Dallas_Dawg
05-18-2015, 04:56 PM

Playing Auburn in starkville last year was also probably the difference for us

Coach34
05-18-2015, 07:47 PM
Playing Auburn in starkville last year was also probably the difference for us

**** yeah it was. Auburn won in Oxford. Not Starkville. We have a very big home advantage these days we havent ever had.

TaleofTwoDogs
05-18-2015, 09:51 PM

Uh, that might be because we are rarely the hunted.

BoomBoom
05-18-2015, 10:20 PM

the pessimistic view is that we beat a couple down teams early with a gimmicky offense, and got flat out owned on the coaching side from then on out, moreso as the season went on.

this season will tell the tale. lot of parity in the SEC, coaching will win games.

coaches excel in different ways, Mullen's way is definitely via his scheme, not via x's and o's in general. the key this year will be can he sprinkle in enough wrinkles to let his scheme shine. as last season went on, it seemed all the wrinkles disappeared and it became hand the ball to Dak. can't win in the SEC without some wrinkles to keep teams honest.

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2015, 10:30 PM
the pessimistic view is that we beat a couple down teams early with a gimmicky offense, and got flat out owned on the coaching side from then on out, moreso as the season went on.

this season will tell the tale. lot of parity in the SEC, coaching will win games.

coaches excel in different ways, Mullen's way is definitely via his scheme, not via x's and o's in general. the key this year will be can he sprinkle in enough wrinkles to let his scheme shine. as last season went on, it seemed all the wrinkles disappeared and it became hand the ball to Dak. can't win in the SEC without some wrinkles to keep teams honest.

Or we just played the best 2 defenses in the country on the road..... Maybe that had something to do with it.

I'm sure Vandy prepared for our game with them, but they couldn't figure it out

msstate7
05-18-2015, 10:48 PM
Or we just played the best 2 defenses in the country on the road..... Maybe that had something to do with it.

Sure bama and OM were very good defenses, but we did become very predictable on offense esp on short yardage. We ran dak on planned qb runs way too much. I think dak is much more dangerous running on pass plays that break down.

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2015, 11:00 PM
Sure bama and OM were very good defenses, but we did become very predictable on offense esp on short yardage. We ran dak on planned qb runs way too much. I think dak is much more dangerous running on pass plays that break down.

I agree that we had some questionable play calling, but that has little to do with this year. I was just trying to make the point that we didn't win games early in the year because we had a gimmicky offense and teams figured it out late in the year. Sadly we faced two of the best defenses in the country on the road and compounded the problem with poor play calling.

justwin
05-19-2015, 12:06 AM

What hurt Mullen vs Bama & OM was he underutilized his big power running back, Robinson. So, I think Mullen's biggest issue is personnel selection in the backfield besides the qb more than his scheme or play calling. Watch, he'll find a way to get Holloway 50 carries this year.

Really Clark?
05-19-2015, 06:27 AM
What hurt Mullen vs Bama & OM was he underutilized his big power running back, Robinson. So, I think Mullen's biggest issue is personnel selection in the backfield besides the qb more than his scheme or play calling. Watch, he'll find a way to get Holloway 50 carries this year.

Disagree with that assessment. JRob hurt himself. After Kentucky he wasn't the same back and after continuing to miss blocks I don't have a problem with pulling him. Shump was very effective against UM so he stepped in as a true power back. I do agree we got a little Dak up the middle happy at the end but Dak was most definitely our biggest power back threat.

Coach34
05-19-2015, 06:43 AM
Disagree with that assessment. JRob hurt himself. After Kentucky he wasn't the same back and after continuing to miss blocks I don't have a problem with pulling him. Shump was very effective against UM so he stepped in as a true power back. I do agree we got a little Dak up the middle happy at the end but Dak was most definitely our biggest power back threat.

We ran side to side too much vs Ole Missus. Thats the reason JRob kept getting stuffed and Shump ran for 60 yards. Shump doesnt do side to side. He makes one cut and gets downhill. Thats what u have to do vs Ole Missus small DL

Mullen's 1st half gameplanning vs those top D's was awful. But he did make some good coaching adjustments at halftime of both games. It just hurt us to waste a whole 1st half in both games

Really Clark?
05-19-2015, 07:06 AM
We ran side to side too much vs Ole Missus. Thats the reason JRob kept getting stuffed and Shump ran for 60 yards. Shump doesnt do side to side. He makes one cut and gets downhill. Thats what u have to do vs Ole Missus small DL

Mullen's 1st half gameplanning vs those top D's was awful. But he did make some good coaching adjustments at halftime of both games. It just hurt us to waste a whole 1st half in both games

I agree with that. Although I think first half against Bama could have thought of much differently if we execute better, especially in the red zone. That seemed to be more of a player problem than play call. I should have stated the second half running of Shump against UM. But I think JRob tried to bounce more than what was there or was called.

BulldogBear
05-19-2015, 08:06 AM

This^ Which is why I wondered late in the year why we didn't have him moving more, rolling out and the like.

Jack Lambert
05-19-2015, 08:07 AM

One thing I noticed about Shump in the spring game is he is starting to use his speed to run through holes rather than trying to run over guys. Look like he starting to use his eyes to see the best direction to run. He is going to be a good running back.

BiscuitEater
05-19-2015, 10:14 AM
It's just comical now at the lack of respect.

Sports Media .. Please continue to pick us 7th in the West! Please 'discount' our coach!

I much prefer to be completely overlooked until we start playing in the Fall. Last year was NOT a fluke. We went from #36 in the AP to #1 in ~6 weeks. I sure enjoyed the ride and am looking forward to another.

MadDawg
05-19-2015, 10:27 AM

I said when it happened - the worst thing to ever happen to JRob was that highlight reel play against Kentucky when he made about 10 players miss tackles. From that point on, all he wanted to do was juke this guy and juke that guy. His north/south running disappeared.

BoomBoom
05-19-2015, 07:06 PM

except that we didn't look good against Arkansas or Kentucky either. take out that LSU was completely unprepared to account for Dak as a runner when we emptied the backfield, and that game is probably a loss, and the season would not look nearly as good.

Coach34
05-19-2015, 07:20 PM
except that we didn't look good against Arkansas or Kentucky either. take out that LSU was completely unprepared to account for Dak as a runner when we emptied the backfield, and that game is probably a loss, and the season would not look nearly as good.

Wow seriously?

If 45 points and and 542 yards of offense isnt "looking good" then we have ****ing arrived.

UPig did play us well on defense. 1st cold game of the season and they held us to 17 points. They held us to 459 yards- 459. That would have been a top 10-15 performance in yards gained in school history before Mullen arrived. We are now at the point where 542 yards and 459 yards on offense are off days. Hell yeah people. Its a great day

Bama scored 13 on UPig
LSU was shutout
Ole Missus was shutout
Missouri scored 14 points
Texas had a month to get ready for them and scored 7 points in the bowl game

Some of you need to realize that some people play ****ing defense- and you just arent going to score much on them. Thats football

BoomBoom
05-19-2015, 07:50 PM
Wow seriously?

If 45 points and and 542 yards of offense isnt "looking good" then we have ****ing arrived.

UPig did play us well on defense. 1st cold game of the season and they held us to 17 points. They held us to 459 yards- 459. That would have been a top 10-15 performance in yards gained in school history before Mullen arrived. We are now at the point where 542 yards and 459 yards on offense are off days. Hell yeah people. Its a great day

Bama scored 13 on UPig
LSU was shutout
Ole Missus was shutout

Some of you need to realize that some people play ****ing defense- and you just arent going to score much on them. Thats football

great points. my memory of the KY game obviously sucks.

msstate7
05-19-2015, 07:51 PM
great points. my memory of the KY game obviously sucks.

We didn't play well on defense... Well the 1b's didn't

Coach34
05-19-2015, 07:56 PM
We had the 6th best offense in freaking SEC history in 2014. To say our offense wasnt very good or anything remotely like it is bullshit. Teams dont score 50 points every week against SEC defenses. Too much talent

messageboardsuperhero
05-19-2015, 08:52 PM
We had the 6th best offense in freaking SEC history in 2014. To say our offense wasnt very good or anything remotely like it is bullshit. Teams dont score 50 points every weak against SEC defenses. Too much talent

Amen. UM, Bama, and Arkansas had really good defenses last year- and last time I checked, EVERY team in America has some trouble scoring against elite defenses. Oregon had a Heisman winner at QB and one of the best offenses in college football history, but OSU held them to 20 points. That shit happens when you play against a really good defense- it doesn't mean Oregon's offense wasn't good...

The only teams that scored more against UM than we did?
Texas A&M, who got a couple of garbage scores late to make it look closer than it was.
Auburn, who had a really good offense.
Arkansas, who had a defensive TD and scored at least one other TD on a short field after a turnover.
TCU, who had a GREAT offense and GREAT gameplan(unlike us).

The only teams that scored more against Bama than we did?
West Virginia, who scored three more points than we did in the first game of the season.
Florida, who scored one more point than we did thanks to some Bama turnovers.
UM, who got them at home and scored three more points than we did.
Auburn, who again had a really good offense.
Ohio State, the national champs.

The only teams that scored more against Arkansas than we did?
Auburn, who got them early.
Texas Tech, who got them early.
Texas A&M, who got them early.
Georgia, who got them early.
Mizzou, who scored a whopping 21 on them.
See a trend with Arkansas? Nobody scored more than 21 on them in the last six games of the season- and that includes two SEC game shutouts. There's a reason we didn't have a huge point total against them, but we still were able to move the ball pretty effectively.

Why are people trying to downplay our offense from last year or worry about our offense next year because a couple of elite Ds held us to low point totals?

messageboardsuperhero
05-19-2015, 08:53 PM
Wow seriously?

Bama scored 13 on UPig
LSU was shutout
Ole Missus was shutout

Amen, and see my last post.