PDA

View Full Version : Tulane Cancels 2016 FB Game

bluelightstar
05-18-2015, 10:40 AM
We were scheduled to play them in DWS on Sept. 24, 2016, but they've backed out. Gotta find a replacement fairly soon -- obviously, we want it to be home or we'd have 7 road games.

ETA: Carskadon hints on Twitter it might be difficult to schedule a D-1 opponent at home this close to 2016.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-18-2015, 10:50 AM
I figure we'll get a FCS school to take a check & come to town & get slaughtered.

BulldogBear
05-18-2015, 10:53 AM
How'd they back out. This was the final game in a six game series. Of course they back out now that all their home games are played. Why did it take so long after the first five (2003-2007) to play this last one in the first place and then I'm sure they had some piddling LT era buyout?

BulldogBear
05-18-2015, 10:56 AM
I figure we'll get a FCS school to take a check & come to town & get slaughtered.

Yes. Another junk game . I was actually looking forward to this game, kind of getting to play a somewhat traditional opponent.

Dawgface
05-18-2015, 11:07 AM
Yeah, Tulane would have been better than Dipshit Univ. Oh well, won't lose any sleep over it.

Jack Lambert
05-18-2015, 11:10 AM
We were scheduled to play them in DWS on Sept. 24, 2016, but they've backed out. Gotta find a replacement fairly soon -- obviously, we want it to be home or we'd have 7 road games.

ETA: Carskadon hints on Twitter it might be difficult to schedule a D-1 opponent at home this close to 2016.

Finding someone will not be a problem but finding someone who wants to play us might be.

BulldogBear
05-18-2015, 11:17 AM
I imagine with this deal going on two decades old that whatever we have to pay said fcs school to play will easily be two, three or even four times what Two Lanes paid to get out of this game. We lost completely on this. We are losing money and losing a more entertaining football game. Thanks again LT******

I hope now we're making these contracts where they have to sell their souls and shutdown half their non revenue sports teams to afford to back out of these contracts.

Dawg496
05-18-2015, 11:30 AM
7 road games? Do we already have 6 scheduled? Damn we should never play less than 7 home games ever.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-18-2015, 11:35 AM
7 road games? Do we already have 6 scheduled? Damn we should never play less than 7 home games ever.

We were in an almost impossible task of having 6 home games in 2016 because we already had a non conference road game with La Tech. The way the Power 5 non conference games had been set up they were alternating home & away from 2018 - 2023. So they did the same with the BYU series. We'll find a nobody to come take a check in 2016 & get back to 7 home games for the foreseeable future.

maroonmania
05-18-2015, 11:36 AM

Its actually ridiculous on 2 fronts. One that EVERY power 5 + conference series we've set up has us playing on the road first, every one. Add that to the fact secondly that we had already agreed to playing at Louisiana Tech again and there is the problem. So now we have the issue of road games both at BYU and at LT and nothing at home but South AL. If we had just gotten BYU, or somebody else, to do a 2 year series with us and play in Starkville first we wouldn't be in this scheduling mess. NOBODY wanted to play BYU again anyway.

Dawg496
05-18-2015, 11:41 AM
We were in an almost impossible task of having 6 home games in 2016 because we already had a non conference road game with La Tech. The way the Power 5 non conference games had been set up they were alternating home & away from 2018 - 2023. So they did the same with the BYU series. We'll find a nobody to come take a check in 2016 & get back to 7 home games for the foreseeable future.

Its actually ridiculous on 2 fronts. One that EVERY power 5 + conference series we've set up has us playing on the road first, every one. Add that to the fact secondly that we had already agreed to playing at Louisiana Tech again and there is the problem. So now we have the issue of road games both at BYU and at LT and nothing at home but South AL. If we had just gotten BYU, or somebody else, to do a 2 year series with us and play in Starkville first we wouldn't be in this scheduling mess. NOBODY wanted to play BYU again anyway.

We need to pull a Tulane and back out of the LA Tech game. Even if it costs half a million, receipts for a home game are at least five fold that I'd guess when you take into account concessions.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-18-2015, 11:42 AM
NOBODY wanted to play BYU again anyway.

Let's not act like we had a lot of options to choose from. I have not problem with playing BYU either.

Bothrops
05-18-2015, 11:42 AM

This^

Ifyouonlyknew
05-18-2015, 11:43 AM
We need to pull a Tulane and back out of the LA Tech game. Even if it costs half a million, receipts for a home game are at least five fold that I'd guess when you take into account concessions.

And schedule who? The money it would cost to back out of La Tech & then pay another school to come here on 1 years notice you're still going into the hole.

maroonmania
05-18-2015, 11:51 AM
Let's not act like we had a lot of options to choose from. I have not problem with playing BYU either.

Well I certainly could have at least lived with it better if we had gotten the home game first. There were a lot of rumors about a 2 year series with BC before the BYU news came out. Really wish that would have happened, would have certainly been preferable to playing BYU again after what happened the last game we played them with the officiating. Plus, they appear to be punks, which was only more emphasized if you watched the bowl game they played against Memphis last year where they instigated a post-game brawl.

War Machine Dawg
05-18-2015, 11:54 AM

This. Back out of the LA Tech game and get a home game with D1 Garbage University. Someone will be willing to take some money in exchange for a beatdown in Starkville.

BulldogBear
05-18-2015, 11:58 AM
This. Back out of the LA Tech game and get a home game with D1 Garbage University. Someone will be willing to take some money in exchange for a beatdown in Starkville.

Especially sense Tech did the same to us just a couple of years ago. Another Templeton legacy iirc

War Machine Dawg
05-18-2015, 11:59 AM

Well I certainly could have at least lived with it better if we had gotten the home game first. There were a lot of rumors about a 2 year series with BC before the BYU news came out. Really wish that would have happened, would have certainly been preferable to playing BYU again after what happened the last game we played them with the officiating. Plus, they appear to be punks, which was only more emphasized if you watched the bowl game they played against Memphis last year where they instigated a post-game brawl.

B....b...but Stricklin is the greatest AD of all time!!!! There's no way he'd make such mistakes. You absolutely nailed the problem. Our clown of an AD screwed us by not getting the home game first in at least one of these series. And playing BYU after the screw job last time should never have been contemplated, much less after they instigated the brawl with Memphis last year. They're thugs who are content to injure your star players if they can't beat you on the field. There is no reason to play a program like that.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-18-2015, 12:01 PM

You're already having to do that with the Tulane game being dropped. You know how hard & expensive it would be for 2 games in a years time? That's asking for a helluva lot.

BulldogBear
05-18-2015, 12:02 PM
I imagine with this deal going on two decades old that whatever we have to pay said fcs school to play will easily be two, three or even four times what Two Lanes paid to get out of this game. We lost completely on this. We are losing money and losing a more entertaining football game. Thanks again LT******

I hope now we're making these contracts where they have to sell their souls and shutdown half their non revenue sports teams to afford to back out of these contracts.

^^^^^unless we've taken care of business as I mentioned above, look for BooYoo to do what we've allowed two schools to do to us in the last five years, get us to play there first and then back out of coming here. Baylor aslo did it to us in mid-90s. This Tulane craps is on Templeton.

RichardHarrow
05-18-2015, 12:04 PM
Hearing UMass, 2 games here, one there. And Tulane is having to pay us 350,000 for backing out

maroonmania
05-18-2015, 12:07 PM
Hearing UMass, 2 games here, one there. And Tulane is having to pay us 350,000 for backing out

Maybe we can just hand that 350K over to LT to back out of their game.

Statefan
05-18-2015, 12:09 PM

and I thought playing @USA and @LATech was bad

bluelightstar
05-18-2015, 12:10 PM
ETA: Whoops, had the 2015 schedule pulled up where I saw Northwestern State. No FCS teams on the 2016 schedule, so now I don't see why we wouldn't just fill out the schedule with that.

But our schedule would be at BYU, at LT, 4 SEC road games ---> so that's at least 6 road games.

BulldogBear
05-18-2015, 12:12 PM
We really need a team like UMass though. We're already playing Northwestern State, so adding another FCS team means 7 wins to be bowl-eligible. In the first year of a new QB, who knows how good we'll be.

No. Luckily we had no fcs on schedule for 2016.

Quaoarsking
05-18-2015, 12:14 PM
UMass is one of the worst programs in FBS. They play in Gilette Field though, so that could be a cool trip as long as it's early in the season.

BulldogBear
05-18-2015, 12:16 PM

Sounds about right and as I said we will probably pay twice that to an fcs on short notice. We NEED the game. They don't.

As far as UMASS, they need the game as badly as we do. They are going independent after this year. They have a whole schedule to fill for 2016 and beyond. This needs to be a 3 for 1. A 2 for 1 would be under normal circumstances. We can always play an fcs if we must. SS doesn't need to settle for a 2 for 1 with UMass. Make them come here three times or just 2016 with no returngame.

BulldogBear
05-18-2015, 12:19 PM
Oh and to add to the above. Whatever we do.... If we make a trip to New England it needs to be the last game of the series by Jove. Make the buyout for any game in Starkville about a million per contest AT LEAST

Ifyouonlyknew
05-18-2015, 12:20 PM
UAB could be another potential game if they decide to start up the program again.

Todd4State
05-18-2015, 12:33 PM
UAB could be another potential game if they decide to start up the program again.

What are the odds of that happening?

BulldogBear
05-18-2015, 12:40 PM
What are the odds of that happening?

They are apparently trying to raise a lot of money by boosters to show commitment, especially after the latest report that showed the football program was flourishing fiscally. They were making good money. This was personal. Which also means they may raise SEC type money (they are the doctors after all) and have the BOT still refuse to reinstate.

BulldogBear
05-18-2015, 01:39 PM
UMass already has seven road games filled in for next season. They do have an opening on the correct day though.

Jack Lambert
05-18-2015, 01:48 PM
UAB might still have a football program. We will find out June 1st. They might be option. I wonder if some other school offered more money, enough to pay us the 350K and still make money.

BulldogBear
05-18-2015, 03:15 PM
UAB might still have a football program. We will find out June 1st. They might be option. I wonder if some other school offered more money, enough to pay us the 350K and still make money.

Could be, but there's also this: They are just about to regain a small pulse in football. They may not want an auto L when they are trying to get to 6-7 wins and go to bowl games, especially one they can get out of so cheaply.

drunkernhelldawg
05-18-2015, 03:22 PM
Gonna be damn hard to find a replacement. It's not a disaster, but it has that potential. I am curious about what circumstances allow Tulane to just up and cancel the game. Does anybody know the reason they cancelled the game? The 350k doesn't come close to paying the true cost of this shit. My prediction is five home games in 2016, and that's assuming no home games on Thursday there. I don't count a Thursday game as a home game. That's on the tv network's home turf, not ours.

BiscuitEater
05-18-2015, 03:43 PM
Especially sense Tech did the same to us just a couple of years ago. Another Templeton legacy iirc

'backing out' of a football game. Not saying it didn't happen but just don't recall the event. I got a masters at La Tech and sorta keep up with their teams.

Do remember Baylor but not La Tech.

Can you give more details?

Thanks!

preachermatt83
05-18-2015, 04:09 PM
'backing out' of a football game. Not saying it didn't happen but just don't recall the event. I got a masters at La Tech and sorta keep up with their teams.

Thanks!

It happened. Think it was for the 2013 season.

bluelightstar
05-18-2015, 04:18 PM

Thanks!

https://sdnmsu.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/louisiana-tech-pays-300000-to-buy-out-of-2012-football-game-versus-mississippi-state/

Ifyouonlyknew
05-18-2015, 04:25 PM
Gonna be damn hard to find a replacement. It's not a disaster, but it has that potential. I am curious about what circumstances allow Tulane to just up and cancel the game. Does anybody know the reason they cancelled the game? The 350k doesn't come close to paying the true cost of this shit. My prediction is five home games in 2016, and that's assuming no home games on Thursday there. I don't count a Thursday game as a home game. That's on the tv network's home turf, not ours.

I don't see it being too tough grabbing a FCS opponent for that opening.

BulldogBear
05-18-2015, 05:10 PM
https://sdnmsu.wordpress.com/2011/06/28/louisiana-tech-pays-300000-to-buy-out-of-2012-football-game-versus-mississippi-state/

Correct. The 2011 game was a separate one time body bag game so to speak. Funny because we had to go to OT, they had a decent team that year. The 2012 was supposed to be the MSU home return game for the home and home we had with them in which we played at Ruston in 2008. It was one of Templeton's last matchups like the uninspiring home and home with the likes of MTSU.

Dawgcentral
05-18-2015, 05:41 PM
If the buyout is $350,000, there's your reason for backing out. They've probably lined up a road game that pays 3X that amount.

maroonmania
05-18-2015, 07:21 PM
If the buyout is $350,000, there's your reason for backing out. They've probably lined up a road game that pays 3X that amount.

THIS^^. With what people are paying now this will be a regular occurrence if we don't attach bigger buyouts to our contracts.

Todd4State
05-18-2015, 07:49 PM
Remember when Tulane's players ran smack on Croom's boys after beating them? "Thanks for the check."

Todd4State
05-18-2015, 07:52 PM

Yeah- that's like tuition for one student over four years at Tulane.

But I'll be honest- Tulane probably knows that we would kick their ass too. They're trying to become respectable in football- they went 4-8 last year with a lot of young players.

TUSK
05-18-2015, 10:16 PM
I didn't read every post in this thread, but did anyone address "why" MSU even plays OOC games on the road?

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2015, 10:24 PM
I didn't read every post in this thread, but did anyone address "why" MSU even plays OOC games on the road?

It's really simple. It's become a bidding war that we can't win.

In 2013, Alabama paid 3.15 million to it's non-conference opponents in return for them coming to Alabama.
In 2014, Alabama paid 2.88 million to it's non-conference opponents in return for them coming to Alabama.

MSU's problem is that there are a limited number of "buyout teams" and no matter how much we offer, the "Alabamas" of college football will just pay more.

If MSU offers someone 1.5 million to come to Starkville, Alabama will just offer 1.75. If MSU offers 1.75, Alabama will just offer 2.0.

At some point, MSU has had to make a decision and for the most part, that mean 2 for 1 games.

College Football really needs a commissioner to control this and keep things like what happened today from happening. The fact that we decide a National Championship playoff based off of teams that play drastically different schedules, both in opponents and home and away games, is absurd.

Can you imagine if the Dallas Cowboys got to play 12 home games each year and the Washington Redskins only got 7? If that sounds absurd, then why do we allow it in college football?

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/08/alabama_providing_million-doll.html

TUSK
05-18-2015, 10:30 PM

In 2013, Alabama paid 3.15 million to it's non-conference opponents in return for them coming to Alabama.
In 2014, Alabama paid 2.88 million to it's non-conference opponents in return for them coming to Alabama.

MSU's problem is that there are a limited number of "buyout teams" and no matter how much we offer, the "Alabamas" of college football will just pay more.

If MSU offers someone 1.5 million to come to Starkville, Alabama will just offer 1.75. If MSU offers 1.75, Alabama will just offer 2.0.

At some point, MSU has had to make a decision and for the most part, that mean 2 for 1 games.

College Football really needs a commissioner to control this and keep things like what happened today from happening. The fact that we decide a National Championship playoff based off of teams that play drastically different schedules, both in opponents and home and away games, is absurd.

Can you imagine if the Dallas Cowboys got to play 12 home games each year and the Washington Redskins only got 7? If that sounds absurd, then why do we allow it in college football?

I follow you shotgun... but surely there are a lot more low tier programs (than there are "Alabama-types) that yall could lock in...

or how about a neutral site game? I really like what Bammer has done since Saban's arrival in playing an above average opponent early on... it's gonna bite us one day, but has helped, thus far...

TUSK
05-18-2015, 10:33 PM

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2014/08/alabama_providing_million-doll.html

I missed this part:

do you think maybe there will be another "sub-division" that breaks off from FBS... say the top 40 to 60 programs... I've heard scuttle butt of such...

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2015, 10:35 PM
I follow you shotgun... but surely there are a lot more low tier programs (than there are "Alabama-types) that yall could lock in...

or how about a neutral site game? I really like what Bammer has done since Saban's arrival in playing an above average opponent early on... it's gonna bite us one day, but has helped, thus far...

Don't get me wrong, we do play "buy" games, but since you can only play 1 FCS team, the numbers become an issue. Plus, these days, all the small schools are trying to build their programs. ULL, Tulane, Southern Miss, SMU, & Troy are all really trying to build something and UAB was also among them. There are only so many ULM, UTM, & Georgia States to go around. Everyone wants to play them.

We did play a neutral site against Oklahoma State in Houston 2 years ago, and everyone went ape-shit because they thought we should play 4 cupcakes and build our program.

TUSK
05-18-2015, 10:44 PM
Don't get me wrong, we do play "buy" games, but since you can only play 1 FCS team, the numbers become an issue. Plus, these days, all the small schools are trying to build their programs. ULL, Tulane, Southern Miss, SMU, & Troy are all really trying to build something and UAB was also among them. There are only so many ULM, UTM, & Georgia States to go around. Everyone wants to play them.

We did play a neutral site against Oklahoma State in Houston 2 years ago, and everyone went ape-shit because they thought we should play 4 cupcakes and build our program.

I believe it's possible to do both, buddy.... for example, try to slate a "Purdue/Indiana/Rutgers, Syracuse/Pitt/NC state/Ga Tech, Washington/WSU/Colorado" you get the drift...

It satisfies a requirement, it's a winnable game, and it boosts SOS (not that it's needed in the SEC)...

oh, and you'll get another game on national tv, too!

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2015, 10:51 PM
I believe it's possible to do both, buddy.... for example, try to slate a "Purdue/Indiana/Rutgers, Syracuse/Pitt/NC state/Ga Tech, Washington/WSU/Colorado" you get the drift...

It satisfies a requirement, it's a winnable game, and it boosts SOS (not that it's needed in the SEC)...

oh, and you'll get another game on national tv, too!

No doubt and we are doing that starting in 2016. With the SEC implementing the rule that every team must play 1 power 5 team, there could be more options for "buy" games. Tulane left us in a bind

ShotgunDawg
05-18-2015, 10:51 PM
I missed this part:

do you think maybe there will be another "sub-division" that breaks off from FBS... say the top 40 to 60 programs... I've heard scuttle butt of such...

IDK, I hope.

TUSK
05-18-2015, 11:21 PM
IDK, I hope.

agreed... yall'd kill it as things stand now...

Political Hack
05-19-2015, 07:02 AM
I don't care if the guy painted the Mona Lisa, this is a fireable offense. Absolute, unequivocal garbage. We have five home games right now for next next season... the SEC gives us 4. Thanks for getting that other one.*

They have to trade out the LaTech or BYU game years and add another home game. Anything less than 7 home games is cupcake trash. CDM is taking this program to the next level and we're struggling to have a normal power five schedule?

You know who can accomplish this? EVERY SINGLE AD in the SEC except ours.

Dawg496
05-19-2015, 07:54 AM
I don't care if the guy painted the Mona Lisa, this is a fireable offense. Absolute, unequivocal garbage. We have five home games right now for next next season... the SEC gives us 4. Thanks for getting that other one.*

They have to trade out the LaTech or BYU game years and add another home game. Anything less than 7 home games is cupcake trash. CDM is taking this program to the next level and we're struggling to have a normal power five schedule?

+1 despite whose fault it is we need to grow some balls and act like we belong in the SEC. Hell Alabama plays three non con games at home and the fourth in Atlanta where it's 90% a Bama crowd.

We talk about coaches putting the players in the best position to succeed well the same goes for the administration. Give them the highest chance at success.

BulldogBear
05-19-2015, 07:59 AM

It's Templeton's contract that Tulane is buying out of. It's a near two decade old contract. Times have changed. Like I said in an earlier post, we better be writing our newer contracts with buyouts it takes a government bailout to pay. And in the short term, I want any road games to be played AFTER all games set in Starkville are played. BYU is going to do the same thing after we play in Provo UNLESS we've written in an insurmountable buyout.

HSVDawg
05-19-2015, 09:06 AM
It's Templeton's contract that Tulane is buying out of. It's a near two decade old contract. Times have changed. Like I said in an earlier post, we better be writing our newer contracts with buyouts it takes a government bailout to pay. And in the short term, I want any road games to be played AFTER all games set in Starkville are played. BYU is going to do the same thing after we play in Provo UNLESS we've written in an insurmountable buyout.

Agree with all of this. I lay about 75% of the blame on LT and 25% on Stricklin for this current clusterf**k. If BYU already had a bunch of road games scheduled and couldn't accommodate another for next year, we should have moved on to somebody else. Also we need to modify all existing contracts for any nonconference home games for 2017 and beyond so that this never happens again. And if the other school refuses to the deal, we back out ourselves and schedule someone who will.

Political Hack
05-19-2015, 09:19 AM
We went into this year with next year's schedule looking like this: 2 OOC Road games that we agreed to and a $350k buy out for a school that has a brand new home stadium and is trying to revitalize it's program, which has shown the propensity to spend cash in recent years to do so. If they didn't understand the threat of Tulane potentially buying its way out of that game, then they're even dumber than I thought.

Also, SIX home games in a season for us, at this juncture, is an abomination. We should never have less than 7 games. NEVER. Building a new stadium with new club levels and end zone clubs doesn't mean jack if we're going to use them less. Right now we're sitting at a around 17% drop in home game attendance for 2016. That's damn near 1/5 of the people that would have visited our stadium, the city, the campus, etc... not coming now. It is the cluster of all *^(%$ and should be an embarrassment to every State fan.

FIVE home games. I actually like Mike Slive right now for getting us four of them.

drunkernhelldawg
05-19-2015, 09:29 AM
Does anybody know a resource to show which teams have an open date that day? It'd be interesting to have a full look at the possibilities.

Political Hack
05-19-2015, 09:37 AM
Does anybody know a resource to show which teams have an open date that day? It'd be interesting to have a full look at the possibilities.

google the "helmet schedule". They may not have it out for 2016 yet, but you could easily pull the power five conferences and look at that.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
05-19-2015, 09:53 AM
Here's a few results after a quick search:
Navy
UCF
Utah State
Buffalo
Central Mich
Ohio
Toledo
ULL
ULM
Pitt
Virginia
Army

BulldogBear
05-19-2015, 10:10 AM

fbscedules.com is the most complete resource

drunkernhelldawg
05-19-2015, 10:15 AM
Navy
UCF
Utah State
Buffalo
Central Mich
Ohio
Toledo
ULL
ULM
Pitt
Virginia
Army

I know a lot of people think we need a guaranteed win from this game, but wouldn't a game with JWS's former Pitt be awesome? Not optimistic but you never know. Maybe we end up better off. This list overall makes me feel a lot better. I wouldn't object to any of them, except maybe Ohio.

Jack Lambert
05-19-2015, 10:43 AM
Navy
UCF
Utah State
Buffalo
Central Mich
Ohio
Toledo
ULL
ULM
Pitt
Virginia
Army

would love to play army

Jack Lambert
05-19-2015, 10:44 AM
I know a lot of people think we need a guaranteed win from this game, but wouldn't a game with JWS's former Pitt be awesome? Not optimistic but you never know. Maybe we end up better off. This list overall makes me feel a lot better. I wouldn't object to any of them, except maybe Ohio.

We could make the home game JWS day at Davis Wade. As far as that goes Pitt could do the same.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-19-2015, 11:07 AM

2015 Vandy only plays 6 home games.

2016 Arky, UGA, Vandy, & MSU only play 6 home games. Yea Arky & UGA play neutral site SEC games but they still only have 6 games on their home campus.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-19-2015, 11:09 AM
We will probably get a quick cheap FCS opponent that we can pay the buyout money we received from Tulane & won't be obligated for more than that 1 game & won't have to pay out the ass.

Political Hack
05-19-2015, 02:43 PM
2015 Vandy only plays 6 home games.

2016 Arky, UGA, Vandy, & MSU only play 6 home games. Yea Arky & UGA play neutral site SEC games but they still only have 6 games on their home campus.

Arky and UGA choose to play in other locations all the time. Jax, Jerry World, Little Rock, etc... It's what they do.

Vandy and State are just acting like little brothers to the rest of the SEC.

drunkernhelldawg
05-19-2015, 02:46 PM
We could make the home game JWS day at Davis Wade. As far as that goes Pitt could do the same.

Love the idea. I'm finally over the lost years.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-19-2015, 02:52 PM
Arky and UGA choose to play in other locations all the time. Jax, Jerry World, Little Rock, etc... It's what they do.

Vandy and State are just acting like little brothers to the rest of the SEC.

I didn't say they didn't you just made a statement that nobody else in the SEC had 6 home games scheduled I was showing that's not true.

Political Hack
05-19-2015, 02:55 PM
I didn't say they didn't you just made a statement that nobody else in the SEC had 6 home games scheduled I was showing that's not true.

ok. You're right. Unfortunately, we're still busche league... chugging right along with Vandy.

Ifyouonlyknew
05-19-2015, 03:19 PM
ok. You're right. Unfortunately, we're still busche league... chugging right along with Vandy.

Just for the record I agree with you about always trying to have 7 games. You just came out so strong & with so much venom about it being a fireable offense & no other SEC AD would do such a thing I had to check & see who did. Also Arky could still have 7 home games if they scheduled right as well. During the years they play host in Dallas they would play their 4 non conference games at home. While the the year that A&M host would be the year they go on the road to play their future upcoming Power 5 opponents. Same with UGA alternating years between hosting the Cocktail Party & playing Ga Tech on the road. They should make sure they always are on opposite years. So technically they're chugging right along with us & Vandy. That train is starting to grow.

BulldogBear
05-19-2015, 05:14 PM

I just kind of got the impression that 2016 was an anomaly, perhaps with our admins just putting the pattern in place, creating a one year 6H-6A situation that was no big deal. I think they wanted to have it set where the road P5 was set alternating pattern so they could put togetther the rest of the scheduling in an organized way. We'll probably play a bunch of 2 for 1s. That's a lot easier to coordinate when you set the precident for what years you can do the other road games so you're 7H-5A arrangement works going forward. That's my take anyway. Didn't really see it as a big deal for one season, but the Tulane debacle makes it sting.

Here's what Tulane associate AD Brandon Macneill commented:

“I think when you see there will be other teams not only on the road but also in Yulman Stadium of the larger-scale schools I guess you could say,” Tulane associate athletic director Brandon Macneill told the Times Picayune. “We’re going to bring in attractive opponents here. We’re going to continue to play attractive opponents.

“In this case, again, it’s a contract that dated back to ’98, the game has been pushed and pushed and pushed multiple times for different reasons and it just didn’t make sense to keep pushing this thing out forever. It made more sense. If we push it out then you’re trying to schedule other teams five years out and it’s just a challenge. It’s just easier and cleaner to just say, okay, instead of keep doing this, we’ll just agree to cancel it. To do that, we had to formally inform them of that.”

“There is a lot of positioning out into future years that come into play so it’s not really just to fill that spot,” Macneill said. “It’s a domino effect of a bunch of different things moving out. Hopefully now that this has happened, those dominos will start falling very fast and then I can speak about (the future opponent). I just can’t speak (about) other schools (until details are finalized), (so) they don’t get blindsided by it.”