PDA

View Full Version : Baseball - what the numbers show us

Irondawg
05-18-2015, 09:26 AM
Looking through the conference only (inc. governors cup) numbers here are some of the interesting stats I found:

Some general winn/loss review

Record when we scored 5 or more runs: 4-9
Record when we scored 2 or less runs: 1-11
Record when we allowed 5 or less runs: 5-7

Hitting specfic stats

7th in BA & OBP
10th in runs scored
3rd in doubles
13th in HR
T4 (w/5 teams) in SAC bunts
11th in SB, but 13th in attempts

We were middle of the pack in Avg and OBP which I think it about where we probably thought we'd land before the season as we knew we weren't a juggernaut. I was surprised we finished 3rd in doubles. However we were 10th in runs scored which shows how poor we hit with RISP.

The other problem I have is how little we ran. If we were really built around speed and defense we should be much higher in SB.

Pitching specific

13th in ERA
11th in K's
6th in walks allowed
1st in WP
1st in HBP
1st in DP turned

As others have said this is what really doomed us as we were next to last in ERA and for a staff that is supposed to rely on weak contact and movement, we led the league in WP and HBP. We did turn the most DP which shows we still generated a lot of ground balls, but we also allowed a ton of baserunners so there were plenty of chances.

Overall we just never synched up. We scored 2 runs or less 12 times. That's a ton. But when our staff did a reasonable job and held teams to less than 5 runs, we couldn't generate any offense and when our offense generated runs, our pitching staff couldn't get anybody out.

Irondawg
05-18-2015, 09:29 AM
I'll add to this that we now have two years of data that show preston brown is not an SEC starter. He should be the midweek guy unless he makes a major leap next year. It's Sexton and open competition next year.