PDA

View Full Version : WOW, Phil Steele. I know you research but you may want to dig deeper

ShotgunDawg
05-17-2015, 11:02 AM
Would love an explanation for this. The quality of real analysis is shrinking greatly. The stuff I have seen this offseason is some of the worst, least researched, and least thought out that I've ever seen. The quality of college football analysis has diminished or the regular public has surpassed the "experts" in common sense knowledge about the sport.

https://twitter.com/philsteele042/status/599953958438703104

messageboardsuperhero
05-17-2015, 11:07 AM
Isn't this the same guy who said UM had the best OL in America in one of Nutt's last years?

I think he goes exclusively off of how many starters return and where the incoming recruits are ranked. He apparently failed to factor in Tunsil's injury and the fact that their returning linemen are pretty much all below average.

It still pisses me off that Collins didn't blitz more in last year's EB...

CadaverDawg
05-17-2015, 11:36 AM
Would love an explanation for this. The quality of real analysis is shrinking greatly. The stuff I have seen this offseason is some of the worst, least researched, and least thought out that I've ever seen. The quality of college football analysis has diminished or the regular public has surpassed the "experts" in common sense knowledge about the sport.

https://twitter.com/philsteele042/status/599953958438703104

They are the best at every position on the field this year. There is absolutely no excuse for OM not to win the National Championship this season. Anything less is failure with this much talent. 12 wins or Bucky should be fired, no doubt. How can you have that much talent and not win it all?

ShotgunDawg
05-17-2015, 11:40 AM
Statements like this are what makes me realize why we are never preseason ranked. Accuracy be damned, analysts will make things up out of thin air with no evidence, so that their agenda can be met.

I can completely see Steele wanting rank OM as a preseason top 15 team but needing to justify how they could be good without an experienced qb. So the answer is to give Ole Miss a good o-line an say they can run the ball without any evidence that that is the case.

Coach34
05-17-2015, 11:58 AM
He has to be basically going by starters returning and Big Softie is one of them. We'll see how healthy Big Softie is in a few months

SDDawg
05-17-2015, 12:04 PM
They have 2 really good OL, one who suffered a serious season-ending injury last year and has not yet fully recovered. The mind boggles. :)

Bully13
05-17-2015, 12:27 PM
I don't know how they can say that when you look at the their offensive production in 2 of their last 3 games. the only reason they scored a lot on us was that our DC had mailed it in.

Offshore Dawg
05-17-2015, 04:24 PM
Isn't this the same guy who said UM had the best OL in America in one of Nutt's last years?

I think he goes exclusively off of how many starters return and where the incoming recruits are ranked. He apparently failed to factor in Tunsil's injury and the fact that their returning linemen are pretty much all below average.

It still pisses me off that Collins didn't blitz more in last year's EB...

I was waiting for the ****** Collins bailed out on us before the EB and was not there.

BulldogDX55
05-17-2015, 04:27 PM
The Ole Miss fans on SECRant are even laughing about how ridiculous this is.

msstate7
05-17-2015, 05:32 PM
He has to be basically going by starters returning and Big Softie is one of them. We'll see how healthy Big Softie is in a few months

Olinemen will get banged up. It'll be interesting if tunsil plays when it happens considering the draft is in sight

smootness
05-17-2015, 05:44 PM
He is a slave to recruiting rankings. He is a joke.

BulldogBear
05-17-2015, 05:55 PM
He is a slave to recruiting rankings. He is a joke.

I buy his mag every year, but it's for the stats and the ready-made schedules to write in all the scores for the week. I ignore his predictions.

RougeDawg
05-17-2015, 06:48 PM
Olinemen will get banged up. It'll be interesting if tunsil plays when it happens considering the draft is in sight

Softie and Paidwell are still weighing their options on playing at all. I know some keep reading the "coach speak" and think both Vagunsil and Paidwell will be there starting day, but they will play NFL either way. Why risk more career and money threatening injuries on a team that isn't balanced dept or talent wise, and doesn't have a clear cut starter from a group of shittastic QB's?

I will say it again. Paidwell's handlers, same handlers that took highest bidder out of high school, are seriously considering holding him out. QB position is one of the main factors. He has nothing to gain by coming back. Zero....

Statefan
05-17-2015, 07:12 PM
Softie and Paidwell are still weighing their options on playing at all. I know some keep reading the "coach speak" and think both Vagunsil and Paidwell will be there starting day, but they will play NFL either way. Why risk more career and money threatening injuries on a team that isn't balanced dept or talent wise, and doesn't have a clear cut starter from a group of shittastic QB's?

I will say it again. Paidwell's handlers, same handlers that took highest bidder out of high school, are seriously considering holding him out. QB position is one of the main factors. He has nothing to gain by coming back. Zero....

I wouldn't mind him sitting, but i can't see how skipping out on his team on purpose would help his draft status. I would think NFL teams frown on that... he could sort of fake his season like Clowney did and hold himself out of most games

GreenheadDawg
05-17-2015, 07:25 PM

That's what I'm anxious to see. Knowing he is a top 5 pick just because his name is Tunsil, I would imagine he will be "hurt" a pretty good bit this year

BeardoMSU
05-17-2015, 07:38 PM

Both will play, and I'd wager they'll look good whilst doing so.

msstate7
05-17-2015, 07:58 PM
Both will play, and I'd wager they'll look good whilst doing so.

I agree. Now if they get banged up next season, I'm not sure that they keep playing. I could definetely see either or both pull a clowney

FlabLoser
05-18-2015, 07:00 AM
Tread has to prove he is recovered from Auburn finding a way. He'll play.