PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on Cohen

Coach34
05-16-2015, 05:13 PM
As we close out the 2015 baseball and this cluster**** of a season- that ended very appropriately today, I see our board and others split in half on making a change vs keeping our coach. Both sides have valid arguments. They really do. As someone who played a helluva lot of baseball as well as coached it 34 years (:cool:) I wanted to give my take to make sure alot of you guys are absolutely clear on my stance and why now that I'm getting labeled a "Cohen-lover".

Cohen deserves another season to right the ship. Thats the bottom line. His previous 2 years were a NC appearance and the 4th highest SEC win total in school history. Those are great years. You cant deny that. 4 straight regionals, 2 Supers, and a NC appearance. He has earned the right to try to fix the team. Whether you think he will or not is irrelevant. He's earned it. With that being said........

I cant ****ing stand the way he coaches. I detest it. I hate bunting with a passion anyway, but it is necessary from time to time. Bunting is not an offensive strategy though. That is moronic. We have a big park and few HR's will be hit? Ok. Recruit 2-3 speed guys to put at the top of the order and get some guys that can slam the ball. It's not hard to figure. Dont make baseball quantum physics. Its not.

The other thing he does that will always cause problems is the constant movement of the line-up. One thing I believe that led to the coaching success I was able to have was my realization that baseball is such a mental game and confidence should always be as high as possible. My teams always thought they were the 1927 Yankees because I spent alot of time making sure the guys were confident. Confidence breeds success. Indecision and insecurity breeds Ole Missus Rebels. No time for that shit. So what leads to a lack of confidence?

Constantly pulling people and rotating line-ups. You cant do it baseball and be successful. You just cant. Its a different game. I knew this season had cluster**** all over when we didnt start Britton at 3B to begin the season. One thing we knew coming into 2015 was that we had a good infield returning in Britton, Heck, and Rea. All we needed to add was a 2nd baseman. Dont fix what isnt broken. The 2nd half of 2014- those 3 guys played pretty good baseball. Why **** that up? We obviously didnt have anything glaringly better coming in- why **** what we already knew was solid up? Thats where Cohen ****ed himself to start 2015. If he had started Britton, Heck, Holland, and Rea in the IF and just let them go for 10-12 games to see what happens- I guarantee you this season turns out differently from a position player standpoint. Play those guys- then work in Gridley and some of the others at times to slowly get them some experience. But The Meddler didnt do that. He had to fix what wasnt broken. And you cant do that in baseball.

Batting Robson 4th??? Wtf?? Leading off Collins? That is moronic. That is like a football coach coaching baseball in the 1950's and just writing names in the line-up as they show up for the game.

In 2016, if he wants to keep his job- he better find a line-up and stick to it. And he better get some RBI guys batting 4th, 5th, and 6th. If he doesnt, he wont get to coach in the best college stadium college baseball has to offer

BulldogBear
05-16-2015, 05:22 PM
As we close out the 2015 baseball and this cluster**** of a season- that ended very appropriately today, I see our board and others split in half on making a change vs keeping our coach. Both sides have valid arguments. They really do. As someone who played a helluva lot of baseball as well as coached it 34 years (:cool:) I wanted to give my take to make sure alot of you guys are absolutely clear on my stance and why now that I'm getting labeled a "Cohen-lover".

Cohen deserves another season to right the ship. Thats the bottom line. His previous 2 years were a NC appearance and the 4th highest SEC win total in school history. Those are great years. You cant deny that. 4 straight regionals, 2 Supers, and a NC appearance. He has earned the right to try to fix the team. Whether you think he will or not is irrelevant. He's earned it. With that being said........

I cant ****ing stand the way he coaches. I detest it. I hate bunting with a passion anyway, but it is necessary from time to time. Bunting is not an offensive strategy though. That is moronic. We have a big park and few HR's will be hit? Ok. Recruit 2-3 speed guys to put at the top of the order and get some guys that can slam the ball. It's not hard to figure. Dont make baseball quantum physics. Its not.

The other thing he does that will always cause problems is the constant movement of the line-up. One thing I believe that led to the coaching success I was able to have was my realization that baseball is such a mental game and confidence should always be as high as possible. My teams always thought they were the 1927 Yankees because I spent alot of time making sure the guys were confident. Confidence breeds success. Indecision and insecurity breeds Ole Missus Rebels. No time for that shit. So what leads to a lack of confidence?

Constantly pulling people and rotating line-ups. You cant do it baseball and be successful. You just cant. Its a different game. I knew this season had cluster**** all over when we didnt start Britton at 3B to begin the season. One thing we knew coming into 2015 was that we had a good infield returning in Britton, Heck, and Rea. All we needed to add was a 2nd baseman. Dont fix what isnt broken. The 2nd half of 2014- those 3 guys played pretty good baseball. Why **** that up? We obviously didnt have anything glaringly better coming in- why **** what we already knew was solid up? Thats where Cohen ****ed himself to start 2015. If he had started Britton, Heck, Holland, and Rea in the IF and just let them go for 10-12 games to see what happens- I guarantee you this season turns out differently from a position player standpoint. Play those guys- then work in Gridley and some of the others at times to slowly get them some experience. But The Meddler didnt do that. He had to fix what wasnt broken. And you cant do that in baseball.

Batting Robson 4th??? Wtf?? Leading off Collins? That is moronic. That is like a football coach coaching baseball in the 1950's and just writing names in the line-up as they show up for the game.

In 2016, if he wants to keep his job- he better find a line-up and stick to it. And he better get some RBI guys batting 4th, 5th, and 6th. If he doesnt, he wont get to coach in the best college stadium college baseball has to offer

Totally agree. You put in better practical words better what I try to say in a philosophical way when my dander is up. Example: the reason I don't like bunting as a general strategy (of course do it situationally) is because I consider it to be playing not to lose. It's because it assumes the batter at the plate will not get a hit. That's a loser mentality. Anyway, as pissed and resigned and as cryptic I get to try to avoid a total meltdown, I do believe Cohen has absolutely earned the right to try to fix it.

War Machine Dawg
05-16-2015, 05:27 PM

http://i.imgur.com/RSCcYCh.gif

dawgoneyall
05-16-2015, 05:30 PM
Bunting is OK when appropriate but we abandoned the hit and run in favor of the bunt in the early innings to an insane degree.

One has to know that Cohen knows/knew better, yet...............................unexplainable.

Tbonewannabe
05-16-2015, 05:32 PM
Bunting for Cohen seems to fit the whole offensive philosophy of putting pressure on the defense to make a mistake. It is the same way we try to get HBP and walks instead of going up there to impose our will on the pitcher. We go up to the plate hoping the other team will screw up.

JohnnyQuid
05-16-2015, 05:32 PM

+1000

Irondawg
05-16-2015, 05:35 PM
Yep it's all that in a nutshell as well as overtrusting veterans like Ross. He also inexplicably occasionally leaves his closer in for 50+ pitches and it bites us.

The man just does a lot of odd things

maroonmania
05-16-2015, 05:38 PM

Yes, and he better find a lineup THAT MAKES SENSE and stick to it. No more leadoff hitters batting cleanup, no more hitting your catcher at leadoff, and worst of all no more putting your slowest runner in the lineup right ahead of your fastest runner in the lineup. I can't for the life of me understand why a guy as intelligent as Cohen appears to be does so many OBVIOUSLY asinine things? I mean things that most ANY experienced baseball guy wouldn't do. It really doesn't make any sense. Does he think he is outsmarting the best minds in baseball from the last 100 years? I agree that Cohen deserves a year to pull this thing out of the ditch but over the past couple of seasons my confidence in him as a HC has been severely eroded.

Smitty
05-16-2015, 05:38 PM
Has he shown any reason that any of that will change?

If you were AD and brought all this up and he said "my program, my way ain't changing" would you dump him then? I would.

Change NOW. Hire a hitting coach NOW. Or GTFO

Todd4State
05-16-2015, 05:50 PM
Has he shown any reason that any of that will change?

If you were AD and brought all this up and he said "my program, my way ain't changing" would you dump him then? I would.

Change NOW. Hire a hitting coach NOW. Or GTFO

Actually, he has said that there needs to be some changes on several occasions. We'll see if it actually happens- but he doesn't appear to be oblivious like you want him to be.

Intramural All-American
05-16-2015, 07:55 PM
Just a head's up, Britton was hurt at the start of the season, and has been battling knee injury all year. That's the reason you haven't seen him consistently.

AlSwearengen
05-16-2015, 08:17 PM
We have gone from Polk, where I was begging God to let us get a bunt down in the ninth inning to put a tying or winning run in scoring position, only to be disappointed over and over again. Now, we have the polar opposite. We can bunt like a mother17er, but getting the hit to score them is like hens teeth. Just doesn't happen. Cohen needs to have a sit down with himself and do some soul searching. He needs to just play baseball by out hitting, out fielding, and out pitching the opponent.

Coach34
05-16-2015, 08:30 PM
Just a head's up, Britton was hurt at the start of the season, and has been battling knee injury all year. That's the reason you haven't seen him consistently.

He wasnt hurt opening day and Cohen caused all the IF chaos

Intramural All-American
05-16-2015, 08:32 PM
He wasnt hurt opening day and Cohen caused all the IF chaos

Yes he was. He had offseason meniscus surgery and never got back 100%. Same reason we didn't see him for a while after Kentucky, because he aggravated the knee.

Smitty
05-16-2015, 08:36 PM
Britton appeared in every game the opening weekend and started the next weekend.

After the Samford game Feb 28 we didn't see him again till March 21 when he was forced to play because of Spruill's incompetence and he went off. Apparently he then ****ed his knee up good.

Britton was getting PH appearances and not being allowed to find a groove. After 14 AB's, half being PH, Cohen put him on the bench not to be seen for a month.

Intramural All-American
05-16-2015, 08:42 PM
Britton appeared in every game the opening weekend and started the next weekend.

After the Samford game Feb 28 we didn't see him again till March 21 when he was forced to play because of Spruill's incompetence and he went off. Apparently he then ****ed his knee up good.

Britton was getting PH appearances and not being allowed to find a groove. After 14 AB's, half being PH, Cohen put him on the bench not to be seen for a month.

Britton has not been 100% all year. His knee has been a problem all year.

Todd4State
05-16-2015, 08:54 PM

You mean not being allowed to find a groove because I believe he was hitting something like .078 BECAUSE OF HIS KNEE?

Seriously people, Britton is the ONE guy on the team that is Cohen's favorite. If there was ever any way to get him in the lineup, Cphen was doing it. He had Britton starting on opening day of his true freshman year.

BossDawg
05-16-2015, 09:51 PM
But, does Cohen know how to coach more conventinally? Does he know how to stick with the same line-up without playing this friggin small ball? I wonder if he's just set in his ways and doesn't know any other way of coaching.

bobcat91
05-16-2015, 10:12 PM
But, does Cohen know how to coach more conventinally? Does he know how to stick with the same line-up without playing this friggin small ball? I wonder if he's just set in his ways and doesn't know any other way of coaching.

I want him to straighten this mess out. This is not the way he coached at Kentucky. Plain and simple. I want the coach we hired from Kentucky and not this West coast small ball we have now. We are an SEC team. John played in the SEC. So play SEC ball. I support him, but this needs to get fixed by recruiting and changing what isn't working.