PDA

View Full Version : Yes or No. No explanation need. Does Cohen need to be let go?

Drugdog
05-16-2015, 03:35 PM
Yes

msstate7
05-16-2015, 03:36 PM
Yes

Coursesuper
05-16-2015, 03:40 PM
Yes

It_Could_Happen
05-16-2015, 03:43 PM
Yes.

Skydawg1
05-16-2015, 03:43 PM
Yes.

CohenSidedWithGreatness
05-16-2015, 03:46 PM
Yes.

Quaoarsking
05-16-2015, 03:50 PM
No (and after a week of cooldown most people in this thread will also say no)

CottonDog
05-16-2015, 03:51 PM
No

Ifyouonlyknew
05-16-2015, 03:53 PM
NO

weblow
05-16-2015, 03:55 PM
No.........bbbbuuuuuuttttttt, Cohen and Butch are the only two that remain. Stricklin lays it on the line though and explains that this will never be accepted again and shouldn't be now. He also requires Cohen hiring a real hitting coach and strength coach.

Should be interesting because I am not sure I see Cohen agreeing to accepts the demands from Stricklin. Would love to sit in on that meeting.

Drugdog
05-16-2015, 04:00 PM
No.........bbbbuuuuuuttttttt, Cohen and Butch are the only two that remain. Stricklin lays it on the line though and explains that this will never be accepted again and shouldn't be now. He also requires Cohen hiring a real hitting coach and strength coach.

Should be interesting because I am not sure I see Cohen agreeing to accepts the demands from Stricklin. Would love to sit in on that meeting.

What part of no explanation did u not understand?

weblow
05-16-2015, 04:04 PM
I read it just fine. If it said no explanation allowed then I would not have given one.

Hopefully that clears it up for you.

Dawgface
05-16-2015, 04:07 PM
YES.

maroonmania
05-16-2015, 04:11 PM
No. And I wasn't expecting great things this year after how much we lost off last year's team BUT this was a total train wreck and he's got one year to get us back to the post-season or its time to move on. Hard to believe its come to this after the 2013 year.

Smitty
05-16-2015, 04:12 PM
YES

HancockCountyDog
05-16-2015, 04:13 PM
No, but next year is important.

Todd4State
05-16-2015, 04:15 PM
No

Dawg496
05-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Yes

JohnnyQuid
05-16-2015, 04:22 PM
no way

Ralph
05-16-2015, 04:23 PM
No

Drugdog
05-16-2015, 04:28 PM

I read it just fine. If it said no explanation allowed then I would not have given one.

Hopefully that clears it up for you.

Clear. Your a dumb ass who can't follow directions.

Coach34
05-16-2015, 04:33 PM
nope

Jacksondevildog
05-16-2015, 04:33 PM
No.

NCDawg
05-16-2015, 04:35 PM
Yes, reason being this is year 7 with Cohen, and no way we should be finishing last in the SEC, especially with our baseball tradition.

Noxdog
05-16-2015, 04:39 PM
Yes

NO.

Noxdog
05-16-2015, 04:42 PM

Actually he is right. You typed "need", not allowed. BTW, what the hell is "no explanation need"?

AROB44
05-16-2015, 04:44 PM
NO

cbrunt29
05-16-2015, 04:49 PM
Nope

War Machine Dawg
05-16-2015, 04:54 PM
Yes.

BrunswickDawg
05-16-2015, 04:54 PM
No

preachermatt83
05-16-2015, 05:15 PM

A No vote for me and THIS!! ^^^^^^^^

dawgoneyall
05-16-2015, 05:19 PM
No

Dawgbite
05-16-2015, 05:25 PM
No

BulldogBear
05-16-2015, 05:29 PM
No

shoeless joe
05-16-2015, 05:40 PM
No

RIdog
05-16-2015, 05:41 PM
Nada .

DistrictDawg92
05-16-2015, 05:56 PM
No. Looks like we have a bunch of premature ejaculators on the board.

DistrictDawg92
05-16-2015, 06:07 PM
Baseball isn't football. Everything can turn around in one year. Cohen took us to our only national championship appearance in the big 3 ever, just two years ago. He obviously knows how to coach. Give up on him getting fired, he has earned and deserves another year to try to get things back going in the right direction, no questions asked. It's obvious the game has changed and Cohen thought he would be fine without changing his strategy. We will be very improved next year and I'm calling an Omaha appearance in the next 3 years, under Cohen.

Dawgcentral
05-16-2015, 06:52 PM
No. And just to violate your strict guidelines on our answers, which are insulting to say the least,...I've never seen so many crybabies in my life. Everyone is sick about this season. Sure, people have the right to voice their frustration, but I'm seeing some posts that look to be the result of short anatomy awareness. Do the best with what you have fellas and stop exposing yourselves to the rest of us.

msstate7
05-16-2015, 06:54 PM
No. And just to violate your strict guidelines on our answers, which are insulting to say the least,...I've never seen so many crybabies in my life. Everyone is sick about this season. Sure, people have the right to voice their frustration, but I'm seeing some posts that look to be the result of short anatomy awareness. Do the best with what you have fellas and stop exposing yourselves to the rest of us.

Do you feel 87-121 is acceptable here?

Dawgcentral
05-16-2015, 07:00 PM
We have no choice other than to accept this present reality. Cohen won't be fired. Period. At this point in time raising hell in a forum won't change a damn thing. No one is accepting this willingly. A drastic change, other than firing Cohen has to happen. Lousy run production and weak pitching will not be accepted this time next year. Heads will roll if we have the intention or rising to the level we expect.

msstate7
05-16-2015, 07:04 PM
We have no choice other than to accept this present reality. Cohen won't be fired. Period. At this point in time raising hell in a forum won't change a damn thing. No one is accepting this willingly. A drastic change, other than firing Cohen has to happen. Lousy run production and weak pitching will not be accepted this time next year. Heads will roll if we have the intention or rising to the level we expect.

I agree he won't be fired, but I don't think it's crazy for some of us to want him fired. I'm sure I'll probably be cool with keeping Cohen in a day or 2, but I'm pissed right now. This is his 7th year and for us to finish dead last in the sec is unacceptable. Like I said, I don't think he'll be fired, but he's earned the right for it to be discussed

Saltydog
05-16-2015, 07:14 PM
nt

War Machine Dawg
05-16-2015, 07:17 PM
]I agree he won't be fired, but I don't think it's crazy for some of us to want him fired.[/B] I'm sure I'll probably be cool with keeping Cohen in a day or 2, but I'm pissed right now. This is his 7th year and for us to finish dead last in the sec is unacceptable. Like I said, I don't think he'll be fired, but he's earned the right for it to be discussed

http://i.imgur.com/cuCPKY3.gif

Dawgcentral
05-16-2015, 07:22 PM
I agree he won't be fired, but I don't think it's crazy for some of us to want him fired. I'm sure I'll probably be cool with keeping Cohen in a day or 2, but I'm pissed right now. This is his 7th year and for us to finish dead last in the sec is unacceptable. Like I said, I don't think he'll be fired, but he's earned the right for it to be discussed

You're right. But while I can see why it will be discussed, knowing it ain't happening yet makes me feel like the demands that he be fired are a bit over the top. I'm not even sure that firing him at this point might be the worst thing to do,..but since it's a pipe dream at this point, the entire argument seems to be made out of spontaneous anger.

Keeping a level head right now would be worthy of more respect IMO.

Boston
05-16-2015, 07:22 PM
No

weblow
05-16-2015, 07:25 PM

Followed the directions just fine dipshit. Maybe you should read them again since you didn't understand them. What an ass.

msstate7
05-16-2015, 07:26 PM
Keeping a level head right now would be worthy of more respect IMO.

Keeping a level head is for the real world (family, job, etc) not for a message board after this basketball and baseball disaster haha

Intramural All-American
05-16-2015, 07:32 PM
Keeping a level head is for the real world (family, job, etc) not for a message board after this basketball and baseball disaster haha

Most people come to message boards to have level headed conversations about the sports teams that they follow. It loses its appeal when people start taking extremes and dominating topics with unreasonable and repetitive interjections. Just saying.

msstate7
05-16-2015, 07:38 PM
Most people come to message boards to have level headed conversations about the sports teams that they follow. It loses its appeal when people start taking extremes and dominating topics with unreasonable and repetitive interjections. Just saying.

Lsu fired smoke 2 years after back-to-back cws for a season much less worse than this and now they're about to be the #1 national seed.

Auburn fired chizik 2 years after a NC and they've been just fine.

I don't think they were unreasonable for firing their coaches and I don't think it would be unreasonable to fire ours.

Is this a "reasonable" point or is it just unreasonable bc you disagree with the idea of firing Cohen?

tcdog70
05-16-2015, 07:44 PM
Hell No

Really Clark?
05-16-2015, 07:45 PM
Lsu fired smoke 2 years after back-to-back cws for a season much less worse than this and now they're about to be the #1 national seed.

I don't think they were unreasonable for firing their coaches and I don't think it would be unreasonable to fire ours.

Is this a "reasonable" point or is it just unreasonable bc you disagree with the idea of firing Cohen?

Smoke was debated the other day and is just not comparable because of the context of what he stepped into vs Cohen. The 2 CWS were actually what precipitated him being on the hot seat as he lost every game in those back to back CWS appearances. They were not a positive to the LSU fan base and a lot of that was because of the 3 CWS wins the 6 years prior to Smoke being hired.

Chizik was an idiot who lost the reason he had success and then decided to completely change his offense even though the offense is what was a positive. Then he completely lost that team. Can't say if Cohen has lost everybody but the end of our year wasn't good.

msstate7
05-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Smoke was debated the other day and is just not comparable because of the context of what he stepped into vs Cohen. The 2 CWS were actually what precipitated him being on the hot seat as he lost every game in those back to back CWS appearances. They were not a positive to the LSU fan base and a lot of that was because of the 3 CWS wins the 6 years prior to Smoke being hired.

Fine. With a coach now between bertman and mainieri, do you think mainieri would survive a year like Cohen's next season? I say no freaking way

Intramural All-American
05-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Don't be dumb on Chizik. Everyone in the world knows Malzahn won them the national championship, and Auburn had the perfect opportunity to hire him back as head coach. That's a terrible argument.

For me, firing Laval was premature, but LSU is a much more prestigious baseball program than we are, and he was following a legend with 5 NCs. He did not win a game in either CWS and regressed the next two years. Also, I'd say its pretty fair to say that Laval made Omaha thanks to Bertman's players.

So yes, it is typically very unreasonable to fire a coach for one bad year.

Smitty
05-16-2015, 07:55 PM
It's not a "down year" so you defenders can stop that.. It is a program LOW....We are LAST in the SEC with a team full of players who have quit on the coach and a large portion of the fan base that have moved on from Cohen as well.

Everything from the evaluations to the player development to the in-game coaching has been horrendous. What's the fallback gonna be when we lose everyone to the draft because they don't want to come here and GET WORSE.

It's so much more than just the W-L record (which is terrible).. Cohen ****ed around, lost the program, now needs to pack his things. He doesn't have IT anymore. It's over and it's not worth setting the program back even more by giving him a farewell tour. With the guys we have back and hopefully some talent making it to campus we can compete NEXT YEAR and not miss a beat. We can't afford to keep Cohen after this mess.

msstate7
05-16-2015, 07:56 PM
Don't be dumb on Chizik. Everyone in the world knows Malzahn won them the national championship, and Auburn had the perfect opportunity to hire him back as head coach. That's a terrible argument.

For me, firing Laval was premature, but LSU is a much more prestigious baseball program than we are, and he was following a legend with 5 NCs. He did not win a game in either CWS and regressed the next two years. Also, I'd say its pretty fair to say that Laval made Omaha thanks to Bertman's players.

So yes, it is typically very unreasonable to fire a coach for one bad year.

It's actually 3 bad years. I know you don't count those first 2 years, but I think you have to at least count year #2. If you can't turn a bad baseball team around in 2 years then we're screwed next year

Intramural All-American
05-16-2015, 07:57 PM
It's not a "down year" so you defenders can stop that.. It is a program LOW....We are LAST in the SEC with a team full of players who have quit on the coach and a large portion of the fan base that have moved on from Cohen as well.

Everything from the evaluations to the player development to the in-game coaching has been horrendous. What's the fallback gonna be when we lose everyone to the draft because they don't want to come here and GET WORSE.

It's so much more than just the W-L record (which is terrible).. Cohen ****ed around, lost the program, now needs to pack his things. He doesn't have IT anymore. It's over and it's not worth setting the program back even more by giving him a farewell tour. With the guys we have back and hopefully some talent making it to campus we can compete NEXT YEAR and not miss a beat. We can't afford to keep Cohen after this mess.

You've made your point, and everyone has heard now. Please don't ruin the thread by continuously posting this or similar posts anytime someone disagrees.

Intramural All-American
05-16-2015, 07:59 PM
Come on, you're better than that. Bringing up the first 2 years when we have had 4 good years since then is just a poor argument.

AlSwearengen
05-16-2015, 08:01 PM
No. But, I don't want to see anymore bunting before the eighth and ninth innings. I don't want to see anymore small ball with a team that can't steal bases or even make infield choppers close at first. And for the love of Pete, figure out who your best nine are and stick with them unless someone needs a rest.

Really Clark?
Fine. With a coach now between bertman and mainieri, do you think mainieri would survive a year like Cohen's next season? I say no freaking way

Granted it was not as bad as this year but for them 2011 was pretty poor and he survived that.

Smitty
Come on, you're better than that. Bringing up the first 2 years when we have had 4 good years since then is just a poor argument.

2012 was not a good year. Offensive ineptitude at it's finest.

msstate7
05-16-2015, 08:03 PM

The first 2 years were completely forgotten and forgiven by me until he brought up a blast from the past again this year which makes them relevant again imo.

msstate7
05-16-2015, 08:07 PM
Granted it was not as bad as this year but for them 2011 was pretty poor and he survived that.

We may not be lsu, but when was our last last place finish before Cohen?

I hate to keep bringing up Bianco, but he's an sec coach in our state operating under the same circumstances and he hasn't come close to this ineptitude in 14 years at a program that is supposed to be below us but isn't (I'm sure that's a run on sentence haha)

32 Dive
05-16-2015, 08:07 PM
No

Pollodawg
05-16-2015, 08:09 PM
No.

Acid mouth
05-16-2015, 08:12 PM
No

Smitty
05-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Dave Van Horn.. 13 years at Arkansas, worst finish was 14-16 in the league.. Never missed the postseason. Never last place.

Belegal
05-16-2015, 08:20 PM
Yes

Really Clark?
05-16-2015, 08:23 PM
We may not be lsu, but when was our last last place finish before Cohen?

I hate to keep bringing up Bianco, but he's an sec coach in our state operating under the same circumstances and he hasn't come close to this ineptitude in 14 years at a program that is supposed to be below us but isn't (I'm sure that's a run on sentence haha)

Polk's last year 2008, I believe we were last

Smitty
05-16-2015, 08:28 PM

So there's a precedent.. Finish last, pack fast.

Both in their 7th year.

Polk was just ONE year removed from Omaha, not two like John. Sorry, you don't get year 3 because of any accomplishment. Look what keeping Jackie around cost us.

Crystal Balls
05-16-2015, 08:28 PM
No

msstate7
05-16-2015, 08:30 PM

Ok.. What about before that? J/k I give up. Cohen will be back and I really hope he does well. I won't hold my nuts on Cohen. I want to be here eating crow next season, but I have my doubts to say the least

Really Clark?
05-16-2015, 08:44 PM

Both in their 7th year.

Polk was just ONE year removed from Omaha, not two like John. Sorry, you don't get year 3 because of any accomplishment. Look what keeping Jackie around cost us.

It's a fine line Smitty, just look at getting rid of Mullen would have cost us if we pulled the trigger like many wanted. Even after sliding into a bowl game some still were not convinced he should be retained although most conceded that you couldn't really fire him at that point. Is it the same? No and neither are all the other examples that keep being brought up. UCLA the year after their win only won 12 conference games. Stayed the course and bounced back well this year. Will Cohen? I have no idea but neither do any of us. Can he adjust and have a much better team next year? Sure and obviously if he doesn't improve significantly there will be a change. As far as we know SS might pull the trigger this year but it's not as cut and dry at this point.

thedawginme
05-16-2015, 08:45 PM
No

RiverCityDawg
05-16-2015, 08:47 PM
No

cheewgumm
05-16-2015, 08:47 PM
NO...come on

bobcat91
05-16-2015, 08:50 PM
No

Dawg61
05-16-2015, 09:02 PM
Yes and it changed from a no after I had a lengthy (off and on discussion for 9 innings) with the father of a prized recruit that plays for the Dodgers team in Memphis. I got very detailed information on a recruiting visit he attended along with his wife and of course his son (being recruited heavily by MSU). It's easily enough for me to want Cohen gone now especially with the piss-poor managing skills he displayed all year long. We can do much better than Cohen. He has gone full certified. Next year is his last although I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Stricklin will do exactly the same thing with baseball that he did with basketball in the next two weeks.

K9 Avenger
05-16-2015, 09:11 PM
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!

Original48
05-16-2015, 09:13 PM
No

sandwolf
05-16-2015, 11:08 PM
No.

sandwolf
05-16-2015, 11:11 PM
Yes and it changed from a no after I had a lengthy (off and on discussion for 9 innings) with the father of a prized recruit that plays for the Dodgers team in Memphis. I got very detailed information on a recruiting visit he attended along with his wife and of course his son (being recruited heavily by MSU). It's easily enough for me to want Cohen gone now......

So what was wrong with the visit? I thought Cohen was known to be a pretty good recruiter....

MSUDawg4Life
05-16-2015, 11:41 PM
NO!

mparkerfd20
05-17-2015, 12:12 AM
Yes, but he'll get at least 2 more regardless.

dawggoneit
05-17-2015, 12:12 AM
No

Bothrops
05-17-2015, 01:18 AM
No, not this year.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
05-17-2015, 06:31 AM
No

BulldogBear
05-17-2015, 06:58 AM
So what was wrong with the visit? I thought Cohen was known to be a pretty good recruiter....
Maybe be really has convinced himself that he's reinvented the game and his philosophy is better than just kicking the other guys' butt. Then trying to sell that crap to kids and their parents that already know better.

dickiedawg
05-17-2015, 07:25 AM
No. Out of the question, at this point, though he enters next season on a Flamin' Hot (TM) seat.

This is not similar to the Ray situation at all. Cohen followed up our best postseason finish ever with one of our best regular seasons. The fact that he followed THAT with our worst season since who cares doesn't entirely erase those accomplishments. Though he's clearly used up all his free passes.

HailState39110
05-17-2015, 08:32 AM
No, but next year it's post season or bust. He needs to at least get back to a regional.

gravedigger
05-17-2015, 08:50 AM
No

maroonmania
05-17-2015, 10:09 AM

Both in their 7th year.

Unless I'm mistaken Polk "retired" again. He probably would have been allowed at least another year if he had wanted it. I know LT would have given him all the time he wanted, not sure what Byrne would have done although I'm almost positive Byrne wasn't AD yet when Polk announced he was going into his last season.

Drugdog
05-17-2015, 10:33 AM
Yes and it changed from a no after I had a lengthy (off and on discussion for 9 innings) with the father of a prized recruit that plays for the Dodgers team in Memphis. I got very detailed information on a recruiting visit he attended along with his wife and of course his son (being recruited heavily by MSU). It's easily enough for me to want Cohen gone now especially with the piss-poor managing skills he displayed all year long. We can do much better than Cohen. He has gone full certified. Next year is his last although I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Stricklin will do exactly the same thing with baseball that he did with basketball in the next two weeks.

Can you share more information?

CadaverDawg
05-17-2015, 10:48 AM
No

sandjunky
05-17-2015, 11:01 AM
No

Coach34
05-17-2015, 11:10 AM

I hate these two comparisions because they arent the same. LSU is the top baseball school in the country and has won over a handfull of NC's- we arent even close to being LSU. Not close

Auburn fired Cheez to hire the guy who was the reason they won their NC- him leaving is what started Cheez's downfall. They had a specific purpose in their firing and knew exactly who they were hiring and what he would do there. We dont even remotely have that luxury

Coursesuper
05-17-2015, 01:07 PM

If it's the same kind of things I'm hearing, it's full on cult of personality. I have been advised by people I know and trust in baseball not to camp my son at MSU. And I'm not.

msstate7
05-17-2015, 01:19 PM
I hate these two comparisions because they arent the same. LSU is the top baseball school in the country and has won over a handfull of NC's- we arent even close to being LSU. Not close

Auburn fired Cheez to hire the guy who was the reason they won their NC- him leaving is what started Cheez's downfall. They had a specific purpose in their firing and knew exactly who they were hiring and what he would do there. We dont even remotely have that luxury

We aren't lsu, but we aren't chopped liver either. Lsu fired smoke for a 35-24 (13-17) season. If an lsu coach had a season like Cohen's, the fbi would have to hide him in witness protection.

About malzahn being behind chizik's success... Couldn't you say butch was behind Cohen's successful run? Should we just fire Cohen in favor of butch?

Oh and I totally disagree that malzahn solely won that title.

Auburn beat us 17-14
Auburn beat lsu 24-17
Auburn held usce to 17 in sec champ
Auburn beat Oregon 22-19 for NC

Those are 4 very solid defensive performances

RTO Dawg
05-17-2015, 01:21 PM
Nope

ScottH
05-17-2015, 01:33 PM

Without naming names, could you add a little detail to what you were told about the recruiting visit.

Smitty
05-17-2015, 01:41 PM
We aren't lsu, but we aren't chopped liver either. Lsu fired smoke for a 35-24 (13-17) season. If an lsu coach had a season like Cohen's, the fbi would have to hide him in witness protection.

About malzahn being behind chizik's success... Couldn't you say butch was behind Cohen's successful run? Should we just fire Cohen in favor of butch?

STRONG post.

We aren't LSU, but Cohen's year wasn't Smoke's either.

Coach34
05-17-2015, 01:46 PM

Auburn beat us 17-14
Auburn beat lsu 24-17

Malzahn ran the offense for Auburn and had total autonomy- Cheez was the defensive guy

SEC Ranks those years:

2009- Scoring O- 3rd...Scoring D- 12th
2010- Scoring O- 1st...Scoring D- 8th
2011- Scoring O- 7th...Scoring D- 11th

Malzahn leaves:

2012- Scoring O- 13th...Scoring D- 10th

Malzahn returns and has them in the NC game in Year 1

Evidence is pretty clear

Miss State baseball is not as good as many of our fans think. We have had losing SEC seasons 8/16 years. We simply cant do the things LSU does

Dawg61
05-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Without naming names, could you add a little detail to what you were told about the recruiting visit.

Basically the scenario that was told to me is that there was a large group meeting with coaches, players, recruits and their families. Butch gets up and talks in detail about how important church is and will be moving forward for the team. No problem there. Then Cohen gets up and goes full mental. GD this GD that fu@k this fu@k that type of speech.

msstate7
05-17-2015, 01:54 PM
Malzahn ran the offense for Auburn and had total autonomy- Cheez was the defensive guy

SEC Ranks those years:

2009- Scoring O- 3rd...Scoring D- 12th
2010- Scoring O- 1st...Scoring D- 8th
2011- Scoring O- 7th...Scoring D- 11th

Malzahn leaves:

2012- Scoring O- 13th...Scoring D- 10th

Malzahn returns and has them in the NC game in Year 1

Evidence is pretty clear

Miss State baseball is not as good as many of our fans think. We have had losing SEC seasons 8/16 years. We simply cant do the things LSU does

You avoided the butch part of my post.

Anyone have time to post offensive stats vs pitching stats for Cohen's 3 seasons ('12-'14) of winning baseball in sec play.

Can't bc Shelby miller of Braves has a SPECIAL game thru 6 haha

Smitty
05-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Can't bc Shelby miller of Braves has a SPECIAL game thru 6 haha

Tough

msstate7
05-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Tough

Unbelievable. Great start though and an unbelievable season going

CadaverDawg
05-17-2015, 02:25 PM
Y'all can argue all you want, but I think it's funny and shows lack of knowledge about SEC baseball when people like C34 keep mentioning the lack of "seasons above .500 in conference" as a way of running down our program. News flash: only 6 of our 14 teams had seasons above .500 THIS YEAR in conference, and it likely would have been 5 if OM had gotten to play A&M today.

You can host a Regional with a 16-14 SEC record some years. You can be ranked with a below .500 SEC record...hell, Auburn was ranked last week at 12-15 in conference. How many games over .500 means basically nothing in SEC baseball. Would we love to be 20-10? Sure. And I do think we aren't getting enough "up" years out of our program. But to act like a SEC baseball program's quality can be determined by their number of years at or above .500 during a certain year span, is crazy.

Our program is not on LSU's level, but it's not as bad as C34 is trying to paint it either. As always, the truth lies in between

Original48
05-17-2015, 02:27 PM
Basically the scenario that was told to me is that there was a large group meeting with coaches, players, recruits and their families. Butch gets up and talks in detail about how important church is and will be moving forward for the team. No problem there. Then Cohen gets up and goes full mental. GD this GD that fu@k this fu@k that type of speech.
This wreaks of an agenda. I'm not saying it COULDNT happen...but this is kind of hard to believe in the setting and atmosphere you laid out there. And I'm not saying it's your agenda. I just don't think something like this would happen in that type gathering. And I'm not the biggest Cohen fan right now, but like I said, this report just kinda smells.

Dawg61
05-17-2015, 02:34 PM
This wreaks of an agenda. I'm not saying it COULDNT happen...but this is kind of hard to believe in the setting and atmosphere you laid out there. And I'm not saying it's your agenda. I just don't think something like this would happen in that type gathering. And I'm not the biggest Cohen fan right now, but like I said, this report just kinda smells.

Shouldn't be difficult to find out if true or not since it's a large gathering that included parents of recruits.

rcsteph1
05-17-2015, 03:04 PM
Absolute No.

maroonmania
05-17-2015, 03:13 PM

I would find that VERY difficult to believe even for Cohen in that type of setting. When Cohen isn't riled up in some kind of competitive sports environment he is usually fairly calm and well spoken. Never heard of anything like that being an issue with him before so I would tend to believe this didn't happen.

shoeless joe
05-17-2015, 03:13 PM

I agree. No idea if true or not but when I read it it came off exactly as u say.

FlabLoser
05-17-2015, 03:29 PM
No

Noxdog
05-17-2015, 03:38 PM
Shouldn't be difficult to find out if true or not since it's a large gathering that included parents of recruits.

There have been a few fans salivating for this day and they will try to take full advantage of it. I know a few who were Polk apologists that held their noses and tongues for the most part two years ago. Today...bombs away.

Dawg61
05-17-2015, 04:01 PM
I would find that VERY difficult to believe even for Cohen in that type of setting. When Cohen isn't riled up in some kind of competitive sports environment he is usually fairly calm and well spoken. Never heard of anything like that being an issue with him before so I would tend to believe this didn't happen.

So instead you think the recruit's father is lying? I don't.

Quaoarsking
05-17-2015, 04:27 PM
Mainieri has missed the Regionals twice at LSU. Neither was quite as bad this season, but let's not act like LSU firing Smoke means that LSU would automatically fire a coach in that situation.

maroonmania
05-17-2015, 05:56 PM

Not saying that because I don't know, just seems out of character for what Cohen would do in that particular setting. But, who knows, maybe he's totally lost it over what's happened this season.

Intramural All-American
05-17-2015, 05:59 PM

Basically, yes. If the head coach is doing that in front of families, he wouldn't be getting players. And if only one person has said this, I find it hard to believe.

Percho
05-17-2015, 06:05 PM
Are the nos above the eyes?

Dallas_Dawg
05-17-2015, 06:26 PM
Not this year

HSVDawg
05-17-2015, 10:51 PM
No. Not yet.

Dawgtini
05-18-2015, 06:19 AM
No

Really Clark?
05-18-2015, 06:59 AM

Auburn beat us 17-14
Auburn beat lsu 24-17

Smoke was going to be fired unless he made a super regional and the team looked to be back on the up swing. That had been 3 years building. Right after his second CWS exit in which they didn't win a game rumblings started. You keep using that last year as an example like they fired him based on that. They did not. Many fans were calling to let him go the year before but they made the regionals and it was Skips guy, so he got another year. Which he should have but that last season was no where near the same as what Cohen entered this season. There were a number of boosters wanted Smoke gone unless he won the whole thing. That was the amount of turmoil their program started the last season in. Not anywhere close to being comparable and they DID NOT fire Smoke based just on that last season. That last season just made it real easy for the AD to pull the trigger.

msstate7
05-18-2015, 07:21 AM
Smoke was going to be fired unless he made a super regional and the team looked to be back on the up swing. That had been 3 years building. Right after his second CWS exit in which they didn't win a game rumblings started. You keep using that last year as an example like they fired him based on that. They did not. Many fans were calling to let him go the year before but they made the regionals and it was Skips guy, so he got another year. Which he should have but that last season was no where near the same as what Cohen entered this season. There were a number of boosters wanted Smoke gone unless he won the whole thing. That was the amount of turmoil their program started the last season in. Not anywhere close to being comparable and they DID NOT fire Smoke based just on that last season. That last season just made it real easy for the AD to pull the trigger.

Fine.

What required goals should Cohen have placed on him next season? If we sneak in a regional as a 3-seed and bow out quickly, should he get a 9th year?

RocketCityDawg
05-18-2015, 08:14 AM
No ****ing way

RocketCityDawg
05-18-2015, 08:16 AM

Either he is, or you are. Or you really got the information 3rd hand or farther down the line, and somebody along the way made it up.

BrunswickDawg
05-18-2015, 08:34 AM
Basically, yes. If the head coach is doing that in front of families, he wouldn't be getting players. And if only one person has said this, I find it hard to believe.
And if it was a lot of people, there is no way they could keep a lid on it. With the way the papers love to have something negative to say about State, they would have plastered something like this everywhere by now. Hell, they drug up Siddoway last week and made it front and center on the CL website. I also don't think Keenum would let it slide, let alone Strick.

maroonmania
05-18-2015, 08:45 AM
And if it was a lot of people, there is no way they could keep a lid on it. With the way the papers love to have something negative to say about State, they would have plastered something like this everywhere by now. Hell, they drug up Siddoway last week and made it front and center on the CL website. I also don't think Keenum would let it slide, let alone Strick.

Siddoway? From the football team?

DawgPoundtheRock
05-18-2015, 08:54 AM
Not yet.

BiscuitEater
05-18-2015, 08:55 AM
Are the nos above the eyes?

And my 'unofficial' count has 14 for 'Yes, Fire Cohen' and 54 for 'No, don't Fire'

Roughly 20% to 'fire' and 80% 'don't fire'

Really Clark?
05-18-2015, 08:57 AM
Fine.

What required goals should Cohen have placed on him next season? If we sneak in a regional as a 3-seed and bow out quickly, should he get a 9th year?

Dude it's not about that. It's just a wrong example in the full context of what was going on with Smoke at the time of his firing. Just a bad overall comparison.

But to answer your question you have to see how a season plays out instead of putting arbitrary goals out there. And this answer is not about Cohen either. There are scenarios in which a coach does an incredible job coaching but is unable to reach xyz goal. What did the team have to deal with? Injuries, youth, a death, wholesale personel changes, etc in which the outside circumstance changes possible expectations. I don't ever agree with a preconceived goal before the season much less right now. I will happily admit I hardly ever look at results to determine how much progress has been made. I know if the process of making a better player and team is on track or ahead of schedule the results show for themselves. Yes there are things I want to see from him and the team next year but very little of that has to do with wins and losses or having to be this seed or that.

msstate7
05-18-2015, 08:59 AM
Dude it's not about that. It's just a wrong example in the full context of what was going on with Smoke at the time of his firing. Just a bad overall comparison.

But to answer your question you have to see how a season plays out instead of putting arbitrary goals out there. And this answer is not about Cohen either. There are scenarios in which a coach does an incredible job coaching but is unable to reach xyz goal. What did the team have to deal with? Injuries, youth, a death, wholesale personel changes, etc in which the outside circumstance changes possible expectations. I don't ever agree with a preconceived goal before the season much less right now. I will happily admit I hardly ever look at results to determine how much progress has been made. I know if the process of making a better player and team is on track or ahead of schedule the results show for themselves. Yes there are things I want to see from him and the team next year but very little of that has to do with wins and losses or having to be this seed or that.

How would you say Cohen rated in your rating system this year?

dogshiek
05-18-2015, 09:17 AM
NO

Really Clark?
05-18-2015, 09:45 AM
How would you say Cohen rated in your rating system this year?

I've said in prior threads that the team was not good this year. And if it had been his second year in a row with similar results...then you have a totally different scenario. I hate discussing coaches and usually stay away from these topics because none of us really know the state of the locker room or where the players are in the process.

To be perfectly honest, I think Cohen is a good coach. More advanced than me and more than our resident "guru's" think he does. On the foundation level, I agree with him on a lot of fundamental elements and such. However, I depart from him and some of his teachings when you start getting into a system, process, philosphy, etc. That is not to say I am right, because I know I don't know as much as he does. For me, it's two issues and they are probably tied together because of his personality. It seems he gets so focused on a tree that he forgets to look at the beauty of the forest. I think he is meticulous to a fault at times and over organizes what he wants to accomplishes. We have seen some extreme examples of this that I know a lot of people have pointed to. All the line-up combinations, excessive bunting at unusual times, etc. What I'm looking at though is how a number of our players have taken a while to takes steps to become better hitters. Make no mistake, he has had a very good track record as a hitting coach. But At times it seems adjustments and swing corrections are overly slow for some players. Now I don't advocate overhauling swings mid-season. But you can constantly be making tweaks. Players want to get better (if the player doesn't then they need to be cut) and for the most part we do, eventually. Now is his process complicated or is there some perfectionist personality at work in which players can't move forward until he deems them ready or are our players just slow grasping concepts? I don't know and none of really do until you have really spent some time reviewing his process. The other issue is I think he micro manages too much, including his own gameplan. We had a bunch of debates at the end of the season about the 2-0 counts, bunting less, etc. For me and where we were as a team, I would have liked to have seen a more simplified but aggressive approach. Winning one game at this point didn't mean much to me. Seeing our bottom hitters becomes more aggressive and make better contact would have meant more. It wasn't about giving up on the season but try to improve our approach. I have always believed it is easier to tame an overly aggressive player than it is to make a timid player, aggressive.

BrunswickDawg
05-18-2015, 10:23 AM
Siddoway? From the football team?
Yeah. Sentenced on robbery charges.

NCDawg
05-18-2015, 11:24 AM
And my 'unofficial' count has 14 for 'Yes, Fire Cohen' and 54 for 'No, don't Fire'

Roughly 20% to 'fire' and 80% 'don't fire'

I'm pretty sure the "nos" will get their wish and he won't be fired. I really hope Cohen can turn it around next year, but I have zero confidence in him doing so.

Dawg61
05-18-2015, 02:08 PM
Either he is, or you are. Or you really got the information 3rd hand or farther down the line, and somebody along the way made it up.

Or you just don't like what's being said about Cohen. I didn't make the father talk to me and I didn't put words in his mouth. He was more descriptive too from what I said. His wife and son were sitting right next to him so I doubt he was flat out lying and no I've never met him before but I am a good judge when people are telling the truth or not. If you were there I could see how you could think you have the right to call someone a liar but you weren't so it's just rude to do so.

RocketCityDawg
05-18-2015, 02:27 PM
Or you just don't like what's being said about Cohen. I didn't make the father talk to me and I didn't put words in his mouth. He was more descriptive too from what I said. His wife and son were sitting right next to him so I doubt he was flat out lying and no I've never met him before but I am a good judge when people are telling the truth or not. If you were there I could see how you could think you have the right to call someone a liar but you weren't so it's just rude to do so.

Then, go ahead and call me rude because someone is lying. That did NOT happen!!!

zdawg
05-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Yes
No

zdawg
05-18-2015, 02:40 PM
No

Dawg61
05-18-2015, 10:11 PM
Then, go ahead and call me rude because someone is lying. That did NOT happen!!!

Yea it's you lying to yourself.

sandwolf
05-18-2015, 11:46 PM
Yea it's you lying to yourself.

Ok, so just to recap......this guy claims that he and his son came in on a recruiting visit and while sitting in a big meeting that included the coaches, the players, a bunch of recruits and their families (presumably upwards of 50 people, many of which are visitors and are in no way affiliated with MSU), Butch gets up and talks about how much of an emphasis they are going to be placing on church, religion, etc. moving forward......then John Cohen immediately follows that up by going completely apeshit, and giving a speech that included multiple GD's and fvck's.

Sorry, but that just isn't believable at all.....I wouldn't even believe a story like that about Ed Orgeron during his Wild Boys days. In front of the players? Sure. In front of the players and recruits? Maybe. In front of the players, the recruits and the recruits' familes? A coach would have to be clinically insane to do something like that.....and he damn sure wouldn't be seeing any success on the recruiting trail.

And here is the other thing.......if that had actually happened in front of that many people (and that many outsiders), the rumors would have been spreading like a brush fire within a matter of days.

There just isn't anything believable about what you are posting, so don't get all bent out of shape when people call bullshit.

Dawg61
05-19-2015, 12:23 AM
Ok, so just to recap......this guy claims that he and his son came in on a recruiting visit and while sitting in a big meeting that included the coaches, the players, a bunch of recruits and their families (presumably upwards of 50 people, many of which are visitors and are in no way affiliated with MSU), Butch gets up and talks about how much of an emphasis they are going to be placing on church, religion, etc. moving forward......then John Cohen immediately follows that up by going completely apeshit, and giving a speech that included multiple GD's and fvck's.

Sorry, but that just isn't believable at all.....I wouldn't even believe a story like that about Ed Orgeron during his Wild Boys days. In front of the players? Sure. In front of the players and recruits? Maybe. In front of the players, the recruits and the recruits' familes? A coach would have to be clinically insane to do something like that.....and he damn sure wouldn't be seeing any success on the recruiting trail.

And here is the other thing.......if that had actually happened in front of that many people (and that many outsiders), the rumors would have been spreading like a brush fire within a matter of days.

There just isn't anything believable about what you are posting, so don't get all bent out of shape when people call bullshit.

Calling bullshit is fine. Calling me a liar isn't. I didn't make the man tell me the story. If any of the story is false it'd be the 17 this 17 that part. I fully believe the GD part. That was the point of his story. That it was very odd for Cohen to do that immediately following Butch's we love Jesus speech.

sbcmortgageman
05-19-2015, 05:02 AM
No.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
05-19-2015, 08:52 AM
Quite a few I see.

RocketCityDawg
05-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Calling bullshit is fine. Calling me a liar isn't. I didn't make the man tell me the story. If any of the story is false it'd be the 17 this 17 that part. I fully believe the GD part. That was the point of his story. That it was very odd for Cohen to do that immediately following Butch's we love Jesus speech.

If you assumed that I called you a liar, then that's on you. Feeling guilty?
I said somebody is lying, and you can go back and look at several comments on this thread to you that say the same thing without using that "L" word. Sorry, if I tend to tell it like it is, but the fact is that SOMEBODY is lying. That DID NOT happen!

You might say, wellllll, maybe he stretched the truth, but it's still a lie. It's pretty rude to say that someone acted and talked in a way that they didn't, too.

Coursesuper
05-19-2015, 12:51 PM
If you assumed that I called you a liar, then that's on you. Feeling guilty?
I said somebody is lying, and you can go back and look at several comments on this thread to you that say the same thing without using that "L" word. Sorry, if I tend to tell it like it is, but the fact is that SOMEBODY is lying. That DID NOT happen!

You might say, wellllll, maybe he stretched the truth, but it's still a lie. It's pretty rude to say that someone acted and talked in a way that they didn't, too.

I have to ask this; What make you so dead set sure that this didn't happen?

RocketCityDawg
05-19-2015, 01:00 PM
I have to ask this; What make you so dead set sure that this didn't happen?

Because it didn't. Here's what I've heard, "That's crazy! Didn't happen! Somebody made that shit up to hurt recruiting! Must have been a rebel saying that!"
In other words, IT DID NOT HAPPEN!

Coursesuper
05-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Well now that the kind of definitive data point I'm looking for.

mcain31
05-19-2015, 01:13 PM
NO