PDA

View Full Version : Dog breeds

DawgHouseUnited
05-15-2015, 02:18 PM
My family is considering a dog sometime within the near future, so I'm checking out different breeds. Any of you folks have recommendations? Low maintenance, low shedding (or just allergy-friendly) and kid-friendly in a medium/large dog. We aren't specifically concerned with purebreeds vs mixed. I know I don't want a tiny purse-dog though.

BulldogBear
05-15-2015, 03:54 PM
My family is considering a dog sometime within the near future, so I'm checking out different breeds. Any of you folks have recommendations? Low maintenance, low shedding (or just allergy-friendly) and kid-friendly in a medium/large dog. We aren't specifically concerned with purebreeds vs mixed. I know I don't want a tiny purse-dog though.

Beagle makes an excellent hunting dog and/or pet.

DanDority
05-15-2015, 04:58 PM
Ok, I'm going to give my opinion FWIW. If you get a house dog know you will have to deal with not only fleas, ticks but pea stains and sometimes crap in the house. Now that I said that. Schnauzer's make great pets and I've had one that was a hell of a squirrel dog. He love to hunt, all I had to do was bring out my shotgun and he would go ballistic. Also, they don't shed, which for a house dog I loved. Seeing that I've had a Welch Corgi and they basically molt. Also, I grew up in a home that had an Australian Shepard house dog.

basedog
05-15-2015, 06:25 PM
Labs, the best family dog!

War Machine Dawg
05-15-2015, 10:41 PM
If you're looking for low shedding and allergy-friendly, I'd definitely recommend a Lab. We've had 3 and every one of them have been awesome. Just be prepared for them to chew everything and drag stuff up/off.

If you don't mind a long haired dog, I'd strongly recommend a German Shepherd. Don't let their bad rep fool you, they are amazing dogs. Incredibly friendly and loving, but best of all, they'll probably be very protective of the kids. They're high energy and extremely intelligent - one of the 3 smartest dog breeds. Be prepared to play with them and walk them daily, because they need it. If you have a back yard where they can run around during the day, that would be ideal. One thing I will say about them is they are very strong-willed/stubborn. You have to assert dominance early and make them do what you say, otherwise they'll do what they want. We own one now and she's been great.

DawgHouseUnited
05-18-2015, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the tips! I've done some of those cheesy quizzes on different websites and I always get a strange mix of results. Labs are pretty consistent though. If money wasn't an issue, I'd get an Old English Bulldog- they're supposed to be similar to the regular English ones, with a lot less health issues. But they do come with a rare pure-breed price tag.

DawgHouseUnited
05-18-2015, 08:47 AM
Ok, I'm going to give my opinion FWIW. If you get a house dog know you will have to deal with not only fleas, ticks but pea stains and sometimes crap in the house. Now that I said that. Schnauzer's make great pets and I've had one that was a hell of a squirrel dog. He love to hunt, all I had to do was bring out my shotgun and he would go ballistic. Also, they don't shed, which for a house dog I loved. Seeing that I've had a Welch Corgi and they basically molt. Also, I grew up in a home that had an Australian Shepard house dog.

We had to get rid of a cat for allergy problems, so we've seen the potty issues. I figured either a good collar or some topical medication would help with the fleas/ticks though.

BulldogBear
05-19-2015, 05:24 PM
We had to get rid of a cat for allergy problems, so we've seen the potty issues. I figured either a good collar or some topical medication would help with the fleas/ticks though.

I had a flea war last summer. If you ever get invested indoors I can give you some tips. I finally found the ultimate weapon, precor 2000. Safe and effective but you can only order it online.

MSUDawg99
05-19-2015, 07:38 PM
Agree with labs, schnauzers & german shepherds. Have had all of them at one time or another. My sister just got a labradoodle for my two nephews cause they supposedly werent supposed to shed as bad. They do shed a lil bit though. Once you get a dog past the potty training/crate training phase its so much easier. Just give them LOTS of chew toys, rawhides, etc & put away all shoes or youre just asking for trouble.

Uncle Ruckus
05-20-2015, 08:27 AM
Get one from a shelter. There's millions and millions of dogs that need homes that are just as good as a dog you'll pay money for that will most likely have health issues due to generations and generations of inbreeding to get the 'perfect' dog. The only Eason id ever see paying for a dog would be for hunting, but you're wanting a house pet so go to a shelter and save a dogs life

DawgHouseUnited
05-20-2015, 04:48 PM
Get one from a shelter. There's millions and millions of dogs that need homes that are just as good as a dog you'll pay money for that will most likely have health issues due to generations and generations of inbreeding to get the 'perfect' dog. The only Eason id ever see paying for a dog would be for hunting, but you're wanting a house pet so go to a shelter and save a dogs life

We've gotten 3 cats from the local shelter, so we do like going that route.

It_Could_Happen
05-20-2015, 10:51 PM
I've got a lab now and it's the friendliest dog anyone in my family has ever had, and is very kid friendly. I also have a good friend who has a Boykin spaniel and two children that are 3 and 1 and he is also very child friendly. Our lab does not shed very often and I don't think boykin's shed at all. Good luck!

AFDawg
05-24-2015, 12:09 AM
Beagle makes an excellent hunting dog and/or pet.

We love our beagle, though she can shed a fair bit.

State82
05-24-2015, 12:24 PM
Labs, the best family dog!

Absolutely!

BeardoMSU
05-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Speaking of labs, I highly recommend you adopt your dog from the humane society. There are literally thousands of great dogs that need loving homes.

Most people don't know this, but the most common dog breed put-down at the Starkville and Tupelo kennels are labs. Its a real shame.

Regardless of what you do though, in the words of Bob Barker, make sure you have your pets spayed or neutered.

fishwater99
06-08-2015, 11:05 AM
I've got a lab now and it's the friendliest dog anyone in my family has ever had, and is very kid friendly. I also have a good friend who has a Boykin spaniel and two children that are 3 and 1 and he is also very child friendly. Our lab does not shed very often and I don't think boykin's shed at all. Good luck!

I have a Boykin and my dad is on his 3rd Boykin. Great dogs for families with children. They do not shed. Get a female if you can, not as hyper as the males.

jbjones
07-12-2015, 02:32 PM
Late to the party, but if you're flexible on the shedding issue then consider a Catahoula. Otherwise known as a Louisiana Leopard Dog. I'm not certain about the allergy connection. Extremely good with kids, loyal (to a fault) and very loving. It's often said that the Catahoula owns you, and mine certainly does. They're traditionally working dogs, so your amount of land available will be a consideration. They are inside/outside dogs. Part of the family, and don't take kindly to being chained to a dog house 24/7.

We had a lab when I was a kid, and that was a superb dog. If I had a time machine, I'd go back and get a Catahoula. This is Francis, 6 years old. From Rayne, LA. She's a true Cajun, but slugging it out with me here in Columbus until our time comes to move back to the Coast.

http://tibbee-creek.com/images/houla.jpg

If you can't get one from a (very rare) breeder, definitely go the adoption route as mentioned above. I wish the local Humane Society buildings had an occupancy of zero, but that's just not reality.

Catahoula Rescue (http://www.catahoularescue.com/)

Just This Once
07-15-2015, 10:00 AM

I'd recommend going to a shelter, finding one that your kid(s) bonds with, and take him/her home.